Pipes for the Glass Forge

Ok there are a couple ways to do it:

1. insulation (No heat transfer at all, but to much effort^^)

2. Keep the pipes insde a vacuum

3. Keep the pipes short and try not to pass the pipe thru non insulated tiles or a conductive atmosphere (No hydrogen, water ...)

(4. A bit of an exploit but if you chain liquid bridges you can reduce the amount of pipes, which reduces the total heat transfer by up to 50%)

PS: I use insulated ceramic and never had real problems with the molten glass. (But my pipes are <10 segments)

13 minutes ago, M.C. said:

So, about the pipe that transports molten glass to a cooling reservoir... what kind of material am I supposed to use for it? I've tried ceramic and the pipe is still getting damaged.

is it insulated or normal ceramic?

Pipe it into liquid reservoir. Liquids inside reservoir exchange heat but don't phase-change (likely to be fixed soon).

When you need the glass, deconstruct the reservoir and you'll get the solid glass back.

Warning: don't try this at home without adult supervision.

In case it's not obvious, this is a joke answer.

The proper answer is to use insulating materials (ceramic or Insulation), keep the pipe short, or use mass exploit described above.

1 hour ago, M.C. said:

So, about the pipe that transports molten glass to a cooling reservoir... what kind of material am I supposed to use for it? I've tried ceramic and the pipe is still getting damaged.

I use insulated igneous pipes, better to just dump dump it into a nearby water pool and quench it. I wouldn't try piping massive amounts of it around, if you do, use the 1kg mentioned previously, you may end up rupturing the short section prior to the valve.

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned, but make sure the tiles under your forge are insulated.  If not, you'll have the internal glass storage exchanging heat with the floor and cooling the glass before it even comes out, causing the segment of pipe on the outlet of the forge to break every time.

2 hours ago, Nitroturtle said:

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned, but make sure the tiles under your forge are insulated.  If not, you'll have the internal glass storage exchanging heat with the floor and cooling the glass before it even comes out, causing the segment of pipe on the outlet of the forge to break every time.

And that is the key. I ran into this issue a while ago. You can monitor at what temperature the glass comes out by just checking the forge contents during production. It needs to be significantly above the glass solidifying point to not  cause problems. 

From a quick experiment, on insulated tiles, the Glass Forge produces at 1730C. Glass solidifies at 1126.9C, so transporting it should not be an issue at all.

Ceramic might not be a great insulator, but it's far better than anything else I have. Igneous rock pipes cause the molten glass to lose heat frighteningly fast; it's barely above melting point by the time it arrives to the cooling pool (it's a long pipe).

I did have insulated tiles under the forge, but I also had my dupe wet himself while working the forge, and the pwater on the floor is what was breaking my pipe.

That said, the whole thing is buggy as hell. In my case, the segment of pipe attached directly to the forge output was breaking. Once it was broken, I could deconstruct the rest of the pipe and the forge would remain functional. Molten glass would accumulate inside. Emptying storage would dump the glass on the floor... but it would remain molten. Right now I have several tons of molten glass at 35.5C. Ugh.

10 minutes ago, M.C. said:

Ceramic might not be a great insulator, but it's far better than anything else I have. Igneous rock pipes cause the molten glass to lose heat frighteningly fast; it's barely above melting point by the time it arrives to the cooling pool (it's a long pipe).

I did have insulated tiles under the forge, but I also had my dupe wet himself while working the forge, and the pwater on the floor is what was breaking my pipe.

Shows the importance of good sanitation. Now, if we only had a way to also do that for flatulent dupes (maybe a balloon they carry around and slowly fill or maybe a big cork stopper and a "dupe emptier" in the medical research tree and they just shoot that cork instead of wetting themselves if that station goes down)...

3 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Shows the importance of good sanitation. Now, if we only had a way to also do that for flatulent dupes (maybe a balloon they carry around and slowly fill or maybe a big cork stopper and a "dupe emptier" in the medical research tree and they just shoot that cork instead of wetting themselves of that station goes down)...

I didn't clean it up because I figured it would be a decent natural coolant (the forge was in a cold area). Turns out it was a bit too good at cooling...

31 minutes ago, M.C. said:

Right now I have several tons of molten glass at 35.5C. Ugh.

Is it bottled? Or is it in the machine? If bottled maybe you could carry it to an emptier. Solid glass should come out (althrough bottles seem to disappear for other materials when they reach phase transition temps). If it`s molten in the machine at 35.5oC emptying it would just drop solid glass (techincally liquid but it will solidify instantly).

1 hour ago, M.C. said:

[...]

Just to be clear, Ceramic is confusing because it's description says: "Insulator", which kinda implies that it has similar properties to "Insulated X" where X is normal building minerals.  But if you use it to build normal pipes, it will have very disappointing insulation behavior compared to even thermally conductive Insulated Granite/Sedimentary/Obsidian.  So to get ceramic's wonderful insulating properties, you have to spend the 4x on the "Insulated" version of pipes/tiles.  That is the point @bleeter6 was trying to make.  I actually have no idea why anyone would spend precious ceramic on any non-insulated versions of anything (and don't tell me it's for the decor value when Granite is so plentiful).

11 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Is it bottled? Or is it in the machine? If bottled maybe you could carry it to an emptier. Solid glass should come out (althrough bottles seem to disappear for other materials when they reach phase transition temps). If it`s molten in the machine at 35.5oC emptying it would just drop solid glass (techincally liquid but it will solidify instantly).

It's neither bottled nor in the machine. It's on the floor in the form of a "chunk" (similar to regular glass or refined metals), except the description says "molten glass". No, it doesn't make sense.

10 hours ago, Lawnmower Man said:

Just to be clear, Ceramic is confusing because it's description says: "Insulator", which kinda implies that it has similar properties to "Insulated X" where X is normal building minerals.  But if you use it to build normal pipes, it will have very disappointing insulation behavior compared to even thermally conductive Insulated Granite/Sedimentary/Obsidian.  So to get ceramic's wonderful insulating properties, you have to spend the 4x on the "Insulated" version of pipes/tiles.  That is the point @bleeter6 was trying to make.  I actually have no idea why anyone would spend precious ceramic on any non-insulated versions of anything (and don't tell me it's for the decor value when Granite is so plentiful).

I was comparing insulated pipes made of ceramic to insulated pipes made of igneous rock. Ceramic does work better than igneuos rock in this scenario. Whether this "better" justifies using ceramic on pipes is a whole different question.

Personally I did exactly like polymer press:

Cold area, short pipes, puddle under (also self-maintains itself in cold biome + glass dropped on like granite in cold biome instantly cools down, obviously don't drop it on chunks of ice). Never had a single problem or broken pipes in several dozen games so far.

3 hours ago, Kaabaal said:

Personally I did exactly like polymer press:

Cold area, short pipes, puddle under (also self-maintains itself in cold biome + glass dropped on like granite in cold biome instantly cools down, obviously don't drop it on chunks of ice). Never had a single problem or broken pipes in several dozen games so far.

the polymer press makes plastic not glass

12 hours ago, Neotuck said:

the polymer press makes plastic not glass

Dude can you read my post?

Want me to rephrase? No problem. "I personally set up my glass forge exactly like my polymer press, which is in a cold area with short pipes and a puddle underneat it". Work on your english reading skills buddy.

What are you, the tough kid in the school yard of klei forums? :D. This forum is very nice, I won't have the "I know it all thousands message" guy here will I? ^^

19 minutes ago, Kaabaal said:

Blunt rudeness, that's for sure ^^.

But on to the subject! Short pipes are the drill I guess ^^

Ps: wait what? It was 4 PM if my calculations are exact :l. It's 4 AM-ish now, actually :p

Yeah, I just realized that the holiday disease outbreak Klei mentioned last week had fully overwhelmed my sense of time( I caught it as well)  It would have been happy hour somewhere though.

4 hours ago, Kaabaal said:

Dude can you read my post?

Want me to rephrase? No problem. "I personally set up my glass forge exactly like my polymer press, which is in a cold area with short pipes and a puddle underneat it". Work on your english reading skills buddy.

What are you, the tough kid in the school yard of klei forums? :D. This forum is very nice, I won't have the "I know it all thousands message" guy here will I? ^^

I owe you an apology, I misread your post and jumped the gun on my response

4 hours ago, Kaabaal said:

Blunt rudeness, that's for sure ^^.

don't worry, your response was by far more rude than mine was

5 hours ago, Kaabaal said:

This forum is very nice,

Lets keep it that way, attacking a guy over a simple mistake isn't very nice

Archived