Ladybugs - they followed me across 5 biomes and still didn't leave me alone...

I don't know if this was Klei's intention to make it damn hard to get to certain parts of the jungle at all..

but hear me out,
I had 3 swarm/mobs of those hatching ladybugs follow me across 5 biomes (5!!!) and still wouldn't leave me alone. I ended up in the pig town hoping the guards would help distract some, but that only helped a little bit. 

This is a first for don't starve, since most mobs would follow you across one biome at most. 2? Ok, np i get it. But 5?? 

Would Klei consider nerfing those lady bugs? 
Also I had thought they only hatched during Lush season, but they did during Humid as well. Damn. 

They are called Rabid Beetles, RABID

71kpLu0hI0L.AC_SL1000_.jpg.05e5af8eda369bc311512f0043b06621.jpg

but yeah they look like Ladybugs gone macho and their only existence is to mob up on anything that moves and smack it to death.

it seems Klei hasn't announced to make changes to Hamlet as of yet that can adjust their hatching and aggro tendencies

the reason is because of QOL updates being put inside the game before Hamlet will be updated again.

Spoiler

(QOL updates are stuff being brought from DST to DS in order to make it more modern and better to play)

so the best you can do is have good armour and avoid the jungle during Humid Season,

All Lightbulb Flies change into Cocooned Rabid Beetles during Humid Season,

Those Cocoons pop when your screen view gets near them  and thus lots of Rabid Beetles.

after hatching Rabid Beetles remain rabid for rest of their existence.

Lightbulb Flies will cease to spawn during Humid season but will spawn during other seasons so take note of that as well.

with all this information I hope you survive.

p.s Cocoons that remain unhatched will remain in that state thru all season and will pop when you get near them regardless of season.

1 hour ago, mangobutter said:

I don't know if this was Klei's intention to make it damn hard to get to certain parts of the jungle at all..

but hear me out,
I had 3 swarm/mobs of those hatching ladybugs follow me across 5 biomes (5!!!) and still wouldn't leave me alone. I ended up in the pig town hoping the guards would help distract some, but that only helped a little bit. 

This is a first for don't starve, since most mobs would follow you across one biome at most. 2? Ok, np i get it. But 5?? 

Would Klei consider nerfing those lady bugs? 
Also I had thought they only hatched during Lush season, but they did during Humid as well. Damn. 

Make the bug begone. spray it behind you and any lady bug that goes through it gets one shot. You're welcome. :)

Stop. When you first started playing Hamlet, you received a warning it would be harder to play than other DLCs, telling you to play other expansions to get a feel for the game or head in if you're comfortable with a challenge. Getting a Flytrap Stalk is possible in 1 min or less needed for Bug-B-Gone. Stop making excuses for being bad at the game. Think more about recipes instead of sticking to RoG tactics of running away like a coward from everything. You do know about the beetles from multiple playthroughs, I'm sure, so there's not excuse at this point to not make the spray ahead of time. 

12 hours ago, OnlineLawSchoolGraduate said:

Stop. When you first started playing Hamlet, you received a warning it would be harder to play than other DLCs, telling you to play other expansions to get a feel for the game or head in if you're comfortable with a challenge. Getting a Flytrap Stalk is possible in 1 min or less needed for Bug-B-Gone. Stop making excuses for being bad at the game. Think more about recipes instead of sticking to RoG tactics of running away like a coward from everything. You do know about the beetles from multiple playthroughs, I'm sure, so there's not excuse at this point to not make the spray ahead of time. 

Online Law School Graduate.

Stop being mean and understand that the beetles are a problem specially after two or so seasons because they do not despawn after spawning, they multiply over time and can exceed numbers beyond handling, infact they start to cause lags to the game so its pretty hard to play with them and they can also cause other mobs inside jungle to go extinct due to their increased numbers.

its already an well known problem that devs will have a workaround of infact Rabid Beetles should despawn after Mild Season because Great Leafy Stalks (those giant leafy pillars) regularly spawn rabid beetle cocoons irregardless of season.

3 hours ago, MWY said:

Online Law School Graduate.

Stop being mean and understand that the beetles are a problem specially after two or so seasons because they do not despawn after spawning, they multiply over time and can exceed numbers beyond handling, infact they start to cause lags to the game so its pretty hard to play with them and they can also cause other mobs inside jungle to go extinct due to their increased numbers.

its already an well known problem that devs will have a workaround of infact Rabid Beetles should despawn after Mild Season because Great Leafy Stalks (those giant leafy pillars) regularly spawn rabid beetle cocoons irregardless of season.

x1000000 THIS!

If you don't cause their "eggs" (?) to open, they will remain on other seasons, meaning that you will have Rabid Beetles throughout all the seasons when it's not intented to be that way. And if you don't kill em', the Great Leafy Stalks will keep spawing Beettles no matter how many already exist, causing low framerate and even lag. 

Yesterday I went to the second island and because I've already survived 80 days without going there (meaning that I couldn't kill em), I found that there were no other mobs than Rabid Beettles because the other mobs went extinct because of this little bugs, and you can imagine that they were hundreads. Everytime a Spider Monkey spawned, they instally killed it. 

Hamlet has a great concept, introducing an ecosystem, but Rabid Beetles are not a good thing for it. 

48 minutes ago, Marquillotuca89 said:

x1000000 THIS!

If you don't cause their "eggs" (?) to open, they will remain on other seasons, meaning that you will have Rabid Beetles throughout all the seasons when it's not intented to be that way. And if you don't kill em', the Great Leafy Stalks will keep spawing Beettles no matter how many already exist, causing low framerate and even lag. 

Yesterday I went to the second island and because I've already survived 80 days without going there (meaning that I couldn't kill em), I found that there were no other mobs than Rabid Beettles because the other mobs went extinct because of this little bugs, and you can imagine that they were hundreads. Everytime a Spider Monkey spawned, they instally killed it. 

Hamlet has a great concept, introducing an ecosystem, but Rabid Beetles are not a good thing for it. 

maybe their eggs should ONLY hatch in Mild Season?

that way it will easier to move around them and not have tons of them waiting on islands or places you haven't visited yet and pop the moment you have them on your screen.

On 28/1/2019 at 11:19 AM, MWY said:

maybe their eggs should ONLY hatch in Mild Season?

that way it will easier to move around them and not have tons of them waiting on islands or places you haven't visited yet and pop the moment you have them on your screen.

I think the best way to balance this is making them "auto-hatching". I mean, when Humid Season arrives, the eggs hatch after 1 or 2 minutes after they spawned. And maybe, making the Flytraps or Spider Monkeys a balancing element on the ecosystem. Maybe they can kill em easier or something like that. 

1 hour ago, Marquillotuca89 said:

I think the best way to balance this is making them "auto-hatching". I mean, when Humid Season arrives, the eggs hatch after 1 or 2 minutes after they spawned. And maybe, making the Flytraps or Spider Monkeys a balancing element on the ecosystem. Maybe they can kill em easier or something like that. 

Okay, I was just playing Hamlet and had increased my Temperate Season duration to Long from World Gen (around 30 to 35 days) before mild season would start,

apparently around the second last day before the mild season was about to begin, all glow flies turned to cocoons but they DID NOT pop at all when you got closer to them nor you could harm the cocoons in anyway (they are invincible and make the same sound glow flies do when you get near)

and I was able to to walk around them without any problems at all (made a trip between the Queen Palace and Starting island).

for two days I saw nothing but cocoons around the jungle but non of them were popping, but once mild season started,they started popping.

so it seems the Devs have finally made it that Cocoons will only hatch in mild season, hopefully this WILL make it proper (it did for me)

however I will see later on if they will pop now as well in Lush season.

ALSO Glow flies starting spamming like CRAZZZY! from exotic flowers about 5 days before mild season.

(you can just stand near an exotic flower and kill glow flies at the rate of 3 per second)

2 minutes ago, Marquillotuca89 said:

That's really good to hear!

But those eggs should despawn or become glowfies if they pop on Lush or Temperate season, otherwise, we will have the same problem but on Humid season :/ xD

Well its better then having to deal with them around all the seasons but I will see to it after going thru a Full Season cycle

(Game was updated again so restarting World again)

I will report what happens to them after Humid season (both cocoon and beetle)

4 minutes ago, MWY said:

Well its better then having to deal with them around all the seasons but I will see to it after going thru a Full Season cycle

(Game was updated again so restarting World again)

I will report what happens to them after Humid season (both cocoon and beetle)

I think what I said would make everything to easy, but the way they can destroy an ecosystem is not normal. xD

1 minute ago, Marquillotuca89 said:

I think what I said would make everything to easy, but the way they can destroy an ecosystem is not normal. xD

well other species such as Snaptooth and Spider Harambes can also spread out (albeit slowly) thru the entire jungle and make it hard to go thru them as well but lets see what happens...

38 minutes ago, MWY said:

well other species such as Snaptooth and Spider Harambes can also spread out (albeit slowly) thru the entire jungle and make it hard to go thru them as well but lets see what happens...

But that's the key: they spread slowly. These little bugs can multiply over time like a swarm of bees. xD

5 hours ago, MWY said:

so it seems the Devs have finally made it that Cocoons will only hatch in mild season, hopefully this WILL make it proper (it did for me)

however I will see later on if they will pop now as well in Lush season.

ALSO Glow flies starting spamming like CRAZZZY! from exotic flowers about 5 days before mild season.

(you can just stand near an exotic flower and kill glow flies at the rate of 3 per second)

This is confusing. Mild season and temperate season are the same thing. Do you mean the humid season? Also, it has always been the case that glowflies spam out of flowers right before the season change, any season change.

7 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

This is confusing. Mild season and temperate season are the same thing. Do you mean the humid season? Also, it has always been the case that glowflies spam out of flowers right before the season change, any season change.

oh sorry sorry, I kept stating Humid Season as mild (was typing while half asleep)

basically Glow Flies Spam out of Exotic Flower 5 days before Humid Season starts.

and on 2 or 1/2 day before Humid Season, All Glow Flies turn to Cocoons but will not hatch even if you stand beside them

the Cocoons are also possibly invincible so can't be harmed either.

the cocoons sound like Glow flies when you are near them.

and they finally hatch on start of Humid Season.

also unlike before I have noticed that Cocoons now take more time to hatch then before when they just popped the moment they got in your screen view.

I will be confirming other things in a while when I play further.

p.s I haven't confirmed Glow Flies spamming out in Lush season

I have to agree with OnlineLawSchoolGraduate here.
Rabid bugs become a non-issue as soon as you craft the Bugs b'gone, which can be done easily on day 1.

The vehement refusal of using the tools the game blatantly hands to you and then complaining about problems that those tools are designed to easily solve, is kind of your own fault.

Archived