Low Proformace Issues

I am using MSI Afterburner to measure usages and the colony I am using is on cycle four-hundred. At this stage, I am getting a steady ten to twenty frames per second which are playable but very unpleasant. The problem is that my CPU and GPU are stuck at 50% usage which bothers me. Is this reading incorrect or is something stopping my hardware from being pushed to its limit? My hardware is the following: 

• FX-6100 Six Core
  • Radeon HD 5830

I understand that these components are pretty old and I tend to upgrade soon, still this issue troubles me.

P.S. I have a second graphics card as seen in the hardware monitor but that is used for my other three monitors, not in CrossFire.

2018-12-08.thumb.png.2ba494ed0537a8b55aaa510c6000a419.png

6 minutes ago, R9MX4 said:

Basically, ONI is a single core game. A CPU with strong single thread score will be really helpful. GPU and multi-thread usually won't be your bottleneck.

BTW, memory should be 8GB (at least) / 16GB (recommend)

I have sixteen gigabytes of DDR3. 

I assume this game will eventually support multiple cores?

Hi,

i'm on  cycle 2100 my game runs @ 8-10 fps

i'm considering stoping this game as it's so badly optimized and unplayable on late game.

i don't think that my setup is the issue either as i have i7-6700HQ @3.5Ghz on single core tasks, 16Gigs of DDR4 ram and 1070 GTX graphic cards.

i can run pretty much any high demanding game on ultra, but i can't even have 10+ fps on ONI...

They should just stop adding feature and start to focus on the performace issue stoping streamers and content creator from playing it to later stages.

9 hours ago, R9MX4 said:

Basically, ONI is a single core game. A CPU with strong single thread score will be really helpful. GPU and multi-thread usually won't be your bottleneck.

BTW, memory should be 8GB (at least) / 16GB (recommend)

everyone says this and yet I see all four cores running around 30-40% evenly.  Now I am at 20-40 fps with gpu at 30% and CPU all cores at 40% which is annoying but how is single threaded happening?  I should be maxed out at 100% on one core but am I not.

The reason i upgraded my almost 8 year old build was this game, and not because of the processor was obsolete but because of memory, i had 12 GB DDR2, but the pc became unresponsive whenever my oldest base was running, hogging more than 8 GB of RAM.

I went from I7-2600K @4.2 12 GB to a stock Ryzen 7 2700x 16 GB... lag was pretty much the same, but at least i could do other things on my pc while dupes where building stuff.

The latest upgrade of this game looks very promising, lag has been reduced slightly, but i still not sure if it was because of optimizing or because the current bug that killed most of my critters.

1 hour ago, chemie said:

everyone says this and yet I see all four cores running around 30-40% evenly.  Now I am at 20-40 fps with gpu at 30% and CPU all cores at 40% which is annoying but how is single threaded happening?  I should be maxed out at 100% on one core but am I not.

The reason all your cores are partially active is because of several factors:

1. Modern CPUs distribute the work-load to reduce heat.  So theoretically in a quad-core system, where something is utilizing 100% cpu of one core, will show all 4 cores at 25%.
  2. Pipe calculations are now multi-threaded in ONI, so you'll see an increase in your total CPU demand across the board.
  3. Your GPU isn't really doing a lot, since ONI is calculations-based rather than graphics based.  However, it does still use some CPU.
  4. Your OS will use some of your CPU for various behind-the-scenes tasks.  Also, if you're running other applications, they'll be using some CPU time as well. 
  5. Since ONI is still in pre-release, it is certain that they have debug code still compiled in to help track down various bugs and issues. This will also use CPU time.

I watched the list of changes for ONI and this is in my opinion the first update that significantly improves optimization. But since the QoL1 version is in a preliminary mode, it will hardly differ from the Space Industry despite its improved optimization. Since This is a version in debug mode + error logging is enabled, which slows down the game a lot. But with all this, the difference in performance from Space Industry and QoL1 is minimal, which gives hope that the output of QoL1 will issue more FPS

For me game works fine, until ... well couple of hours into an active play session. It's not really about what cycle I am in, i I can be cycle 200+ and game will run smooth at 60 fps for about an hour, then I suppose debugging and logging catches up to it and it slows down significantly on QoL test branch (then when I re-launch game it runs smooth for a time being and then slows down)

I am on quad core and game is definitely utilizing cpu efficiently, and RAM issue ... it's actually memory leaks they are still hunting down. The game should not utilize such mass amount of memory under any circumstances, so increasing RAM memory won't improve about anything really ( well memory leaks and debugging- which is probably mostly responsible  for memory leaks)

On 9/12/2018 at 8:26 AM, snowrider777 said:

I assume this game will eventually support multiple cores?

It will not be full fletched multithread. Meaning, the developers took steps for fluid flows inside pipes to be multithreaded. But, also going from developer feedback they don't deem it feasible to do this for every aspect of the game. I am expecting it will remain single thread dominated 

The unfortunate truth is that you have an AMD cpu. Great processors, they really are worth their money, but they lack single thread performance. The following list is an accurate representation of how good your processor is specifically for ONI: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

19 minutes ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

It will not be full fletched multithread. Meaning, the developers took steps for fluid flows inside pipes to be multithreaded. But, also going from developer feedback they don't it feasible to do this for every aspect of the game.

It is not necessary to do everything multithreaded, it is very important to make multithreaded something that requires a lot of computational actions, let's say the pathfinding

29 minutes ago, akrabat14 said:

It is not necessary to do everything multithreaded, it is very important to make multithreaded something that requires a lot of computational actions, let's say the pathfinding

I know. That's why I added in my previous post that I believe given what's feasible what's not, that the game will remain single threaded dominated. Every bit of load that's taken off one thread and pushed onto another one, is good, but don't expect it to be more than a very few aspects of the game. Flow of fluids in pipes for instance is less "random" and therefore more predictable calculations and thus more suited for multi-thread. Free flow gasses and liquids, but also the tasking of dupes on the other hand are much more complex and therefore much more difficult to code for multi thread. The game's biggest load is realistically not going to come from in pipes although I realize there will be people going to far too extreme lengths to tell me otherwise.

its getting pretty bad and i'm not even playing the   preview version either.

clicking on things with my priority  changes  and things are like not responding to the drag and highlight clicks.    its reaching an unbearable lag now.    especially when you click on 2x or 3x speed.

seems like every time I restart the map and build up  to where I was before -  i'm noticing the lag after mid game play.   I haven't even researched to rockets and build rockets yet and i'm noticing lag.   this time around I didn't even have a morph farm or a shine bug farm for solar power.  so there must be something else that is creating this massive lag besides critters.   

I only have pufts and dense and fish farm but the critter total doesn't exceed what I had before.  ( I had way more critters in my last play through and the lag is about the same. (maybe worst) but still. pretty laggy.)

all other critters are  "wild" state.  (dreckos,hatches,the 2 shinebug and 4 sholves and 5 slickers that are left on my map)

I hate the long delay at start of every cycle.  it is not disk writing since the file is only 5mb so ssd is nothing and HD is nothing for that.  I assume it is the compression to make the file.  either way after 100 cycles it is annoying and after 500 cycles it ruins the experience.  I can deal with 40 fps much  easier than a locked computer for 10 seconds.  please  I do not need you to save daily reports for every cycle.

1 minute ago, chemie said:

I hate the long delay at start of every cycle.  it is not disk writing since the file is only 5mb so ssd is nothing and HD is nothing for that.  I assume it is the compression to make the file.  either way after 100 cycles it is annoying and after 500 cycles it ruins the experience.  I can deal with 40 fps make easier than a locked computer for 10 seconds.  please  I do not need you to save daily reports for every cycle.

Yes!

I noticed this too.  Each day when it does and auto save  - it lags and the window goes unresponsive for a bit.

even just simply quitting to the main menu.

1 hour ago, chemie said:

I hate the long delay at start of every cycle.  it is not disk writing since the file is only 5mb so ssd is nothing and HD is nothing for that.  I assume it is the compression to make the file.  either way after 100 cycles it is annoying and after 500 cycles it ruins the experience.  I can deal with 40 fps much  easier than a locked computer for 10 seconds.  please  I do not need you to save daily reports for every cycle.

Would love if they'd give us the option to disable or adjust the frequency of the saves.  Maybe allow disabled or save every 1-10 cycles.  When you're playing a 1000+ cycle base on 3x speed it really seems unnecessary to auto-save every single cycle.

12 minutes ago, 7EhD2u1W said:

What the heck Klei, it's 2018 and you made a single core game?

I think that there is a valid reason for making it single core.  If they can develop the game up to where the content and game play is done while using only a single core and the game is still playable albeit somewhat slow, then enabling multiple cores should add a whole heap of performance improvements and make it fast enough for decent playability.

If their development was made on multiple cores from the get go, if they reached their current stage of development and the game was still laggy and slow, then they would be in a whole load of the proverbial, as the performance tweaks that would be possible are no longer and they would not be holding very many decent cards in their hand left to play to increase game performance.

For holding back multi threaded/multi-core perfomance tweaks, I think is a really good idea.

5 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

Yes!

I noticed this too.  Each day when it does and auto save  - it lags and the window goes unresponsive for a bit.

even just simply quitting to the main menu.

You could try moving your save file directly to an SSD, this would increase the lagginess at this time, although this is quite an extreme measure .

14 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

I think that there is a valid reason for making it single core.  If they can develop the game up to where the content and game play is done while using only a single core and the game is still playable albeit somewhat slow, then enabling multiple cores should add a whole heap of performance improvements and make it fast enough for decent playability.

If their development was made on multiple cores from the get go, if they reached their current stage of development and the game was still laggy and slow, then they would be in a whole load of the proverbial, as the performance tweaks that would be possible are no longer and they would not be holding very many decent cards in their hand left to play to increase game performance.

For holding back multi threaded/multi-core perfomance tweaks, I think is a really good idea.

You could try moving your save file directly to an SSD, this would increase the lagginess at this time, although this is quite an extreme measure .

It IS on an SSD.  lol

6 hours ago, chemie said:

It is not because of compression, it is because Kley decided the save file should be encripted... for some reason.

Utterly unnecesary at best. Annoying for sure.

considering that we can already cheat with debug mode and sandbox mode.    I don't see why it should be encrypted.   modifying save files?  doesn't really matter since this is a single player game, cheating is only cheating yourself.  It's not like there are achievements  involved  (since Klei doesn't believe in adding steam achievements)

4 hours ago, Craigjw said:

5 hours ago, 7EhD2u1W said:

What the heck Klei, it's 2018 and you made a single core game?

One of the reasons is probably the lack of frames, because to make ONI multi-core and there was no out-of-sync data, it’s a lot of work. Perhaps initially when they conceived the game, they didn’t even assume that the game would be so big and so complex for computational actions, so they didn’t even bother with multi-core, but as a programmer I can tell you if you have already made a single-core application, then multi-core literally need to sort through all the code, but I still hope that KLEI will take care of this and all further major updates will be in favor of optimization

Looks like whole piping system is on 1 core. I though that gas and liquids will use separate cores since they don't interact much?

Uhh and temperature calculations on 1 core and path finding on 1 core? Now we have like 5 cores used! I guess it's really hard to code but who knows which system uses most CPU.

Archived