Wickerbottom Book Uses - List Them All

Hi, I'm doing research on ALL of the possible uses for each book Wickerbottom has to provide. I came to ask you all for any additions you could add to my list that could qualify as a theoretical and/or practical use for every single book used in Don't Starve Together. If you have anything, be sure to reply. 

Updated 1/72017 12:23 PM PST. 

BIRDS OF THE WORLD

Confirmed Uses

- Quick snack; morsels (combine with pan flute or sleepytime stories; kill quickly)

- Or collect feathers (crow feathers for feather pencils or azure feathers for blow darts)

- Use scarecrow to replace crows with canaries, 95% morsel drop rate

- Summon Krampus

Questionable Uses

- Combine it with a sleep dart to collect birds and kill for cooked morsels; how

long do they sleep for it scares off the nearby birds; not practical at all unless desperate

- Make a ring of bird traps; somewhat practical

- Could feather hat increase amount of birds; seemingly not

- Used to distract hounds and other enemies; possible

- Use the eyeplants to capture birds; is it practical; do they die in there

APPLIED HORTICULTURE

Confirmed Uses

- Grow grass/twigs/berries/dragon fruit farms

- Use two times to make trees grow to fullest (massive tree farms!)

- Grow reeds for more paper

- More cacti for food and sanity gain

- Get more lightbulbs for lantern fuel or rot

- Obtain massive amounts of food items (berries, light bulbs, etc) to feed werepig for tons of manure for farms or fuel

- Doesn’t work on mushrooms, but what about planters; use book 3 times for full growth

- Cannot be used on saplings and unfertilized crops

Questionable Uses

- Grow things and abuse eyeplants to harvest them; but how to make the perfect farm?

ON TENTACLES

Confirmed Uses

- Farm for tentacle spikes and monster meat, like with treeguards and charged goats

- Use near spiders to farm tentacle spikes, silk, and glands

- Use as defense for bosses and other enemies (treeguards, etc)

- Deal damage to enemies to weaken health

- Griefing tool; danger book

Questionable Uses

- Use to distract enemies (be mindful of not getting hit); possibly practical; could use in ruins for clockworks

- Solo bee queen and klaus; very possible but may or may not be practical; depends on loot obtained and possibilities at the end; can also wear bush hat to remove aggro (need confirmation on those bosses confirmed) 1

- Kill shadow chess pieces or use to farm tentacles; not very practical, they keep targeting the nearest player as a priority

- Slurtle farm, grass wall in between a grass wall square in middle of tentacles; healing the mounds; could use ocuvigil to keep area loaded

- Spawn some by magma pools to shorten dragonfly fight

- Killing krampi and bunnymen with “killing towers”, optional lure; how to build?

SLEEPYTIME STORIES

Confirmed Uses

- Lasts for 20 seconds

- Use with Birds of the World

- Make rabbits fall asleep to kill them quickly, or use traps on them

- Make enemies and bosses fall asleep; a panic button (if timed right)

- Pacify enemies like treeguards to stop targeting you

- Shave beefalo

- It’s twice the range of a pan flute, just a little off screen

- Attacking things like hounds and spiders that defend each other will wear off the sleep effect much sooner

- Cut down the sporecaps while toad is sleeping

- Remove dragonfly's enrage

Questionable Uses

- What about monkeys in ruins; do they wake up to defend each other?

- 13 secs before night, cast birds of the world x2 +  sleep time story x1. Birds will sleep all the way till morning. You can farm krampus sack by killing these birds. I want to test this

THE END IS NIGH

Confirmed Uses

- Trigger WX-78’s overload, or heal him 100 health, or cause insanity

- Charge up goats and get electric milk

- Artificial lighting for lightning rods, emergency lighting; can also put one down and use book or just book on one placed beforehand; can do a 3x3 to have light for the night, use in center and all will light up

- Cause a lightning storm to happen for emergency lighting, to light up something quickly to get away from Charlie; risks burning stuff down though

- Indirectly hurt players with lightning (be sure to wear protective clothing)

- Griefing tool; danger book

- See what's happening in the dark in flashes

Questionable Uses

- Cause chaos and panic; cause fire everywhere; not guaranteed

- Use to kill birds from Birds of the World for cooked morsels and ash; not very practical

- Protect yourself from being attacked by Charlie (not completely confirmed)

Spoiler

Solo Bee Queen with Tentacles, brought by pofil

Solo Klaus with Tentacles, brought by pofil

6 hours ago, BirdyMurakami said:

BIRDS OF THE WORLD

If you combine it with scarecrows you'll have a 95% for morsels therefore making sure your Wigfrids don't run out of meat.

6 hours ago, BirdyMurakami said:

ON TENTACLES

Recently found out this is great for slurtles since they'll be pelted by constant tentacles if you use grass walls too.

1 hour ago, GiddyGuy said:

If you combine it with scarecrows you'll have a 95% for morsels therefore making sure your Wigfrids don't run out of meat.

Recently found out this is great for slurtles since they'll be pelted by constant tentacles if you use grass walls too.

Omg...... I have to test these out....... thank you very much. 

Most of them have not much practical use. The end is nigh is basically useless. But I like on tentacles. Renewable (Abv ground) spikes? Hell yeah!.

Birds of the world is good on paper, but no one uses it because:

A. Too much preparation.

B. Other sources available that are honestly more fun (like killing koalephants)

Only use I see is krampus farming with Sleepytime.

Applied Horticulture is good for early game use and when short on grass.

Sleepytime stories=Pan Flute

5 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

And occasionally a bit of monster meat too if you're quick enough.

Or ask Webber to use his immunity to spider web to get them so you don't have to risk getting smacked on the butt cheek by a tentacle, actually if you don't have a spider queen hat yet you can ask Webber to befriend a spider to target spawned tentacles to start a tentacle spider war! 

Applied Horticulture:

1) grow 1~400 large trees all at once for bearger/ woodie.

2) Get light bulb and etc for werepig to make poop, good for fuel.

On Tentacles:

1) On tentacles can solo bee queen practically, provided you have reed traps in your world.

2) Build a killing tower that can kill krampus/ bunny for you.

3) Spam tents by the bunnys for spikes and quick monster meats.

4) Kill Goose/deerclops/beefalos alike.

5) spawn some by the dragonfly magma. These can help shorten the dragonfly fight.

Sleepytime Stories:

1) Deny other players from killing bearger during autumn/summer.

2) 13 secs before night, cast birds of the world x2 +  sleep time story x1. Birds will sleep all the way till morning. You can farm krampus sack by killing these birds.

3) Cut down the sporecap while toad is sleeping

4) Remove dragonfly's enrage.

1 hour ago, Mday said:

On Tentacles:

I'd add Bearger to that list. If you use two On Tentacles books and let him eat all the monster meat + the few tentacle hits before they all go rip will kill him or have him really low hp.

i use on tentacles around walrus camps to farm mactusk. the tentacles usually kill the hounds quickly with mactusk and wee tusk just running around in circles. i pick them off easily if the tentacles don't.

i am a tam o' shanter emporium over here. free walking cane on purchase.

4 hours ago, Prakhar said:

The end is nigh is basically useless.

Wrong, this tool is incredible ESPECIALLY in DST where there are multiple players, why? Overcharged WX. AKA the ultimate ruins spelunker.

4 hours ago, Prakhar said:

Birds of the world is good on paper, but no one uses it because:

A. Too much preparation.

B. Other sources available that are honestly more fun (like killing koalephants)

Birds is great if you want to make a large amount of darts with extra teeth, also morsels couldn't be easier to obtain and you can get around a stack with a single book and sleepy time, as well as you already mentioned the easy krampus spawn.\

What part of it takes prep? It half makes itself with you getting so many morsels that can be easily turned into eggs, and reeds are just as trivial to gain with that book than any other book, with the ability to regrow reeds instantly there is pretty much no reason not to use this book when your group needs a large boost in meat.

3 hours ago, ItsPizzaTime said:

Wrong, this tool is incredible ESPECIALLY in DST where there are multiple players, why? Overcharged WX. AKA the ultimate ruins spelunker.

Birds is great if you want to make a large amount of darts with extra teeth, also morsels couldn't be easier to obtain and you can get around a stack with a single book and sleepy time, as well as you already mentioned the easy krampus spawn.\

What part of it takes prep? It half makes itself with you getting so many morsels that can be easily turned into eggs, and reeds are just as trivial to gain with that book than any other book, with the ability to regrow reeds instantly there is pretty much no reason not to use this book when your group needs a large boost in meat.

I kind of forgot the group aspect.

I guess the end is nigh gets a niche in DST (sill useless in ds).

Birds of the world has to be combined with Sleepytime stories which is 60(?) Sanity. It is already hard to get sanity for wickerbottom, this just makes it a late game thing when you already have plentiful food.

2 hours ago, Prakhar said:

Birds of the world has to be combined with Sleepytime stories which is 60(?) Sanity. It is already hard to get sanity for wickerbottom, this just makes it a late game thing when you already have plentiful food.

Yeah a lot of wickers books are more luxury than necessity, I always disregard sanity loss now as I personally have no issues dealing with shadows but I should regard that when giving advice, sanity loss is indeed an issue.

3 hours ago, Prakhar said:

no man. You cast the bird book 2 times, then cast the sleep book. Kill the shadow that come at you, then finish up the sleeping birds

12 hours ago, Mday said:

Applied Horticulture:

1) grow 1~400 large trees all at once for bearger/ woodie.

2) Get light bulb and etc for werepig to make poop, good for fuel.

On Tentacles:

1) On tentacles can solo bee queen practically, provided you have reed traps in your world.

2) Build a killing tower that can kill krampus/ bunny for you.

3) Spam tents by the bunnys for spikes and quick monster meats.

5) spawn some by the dragonfly magma. These can help shorten the dragonfly fight.

Sleepytime Stories:

1) Deny other players from killing bearger during autumn/summer.

2) 13 secs before night, cast birds of the world x2 +  sleep time story x1. Birds will sleep all the way till morning. You can farm krampus sack by killing these birds.

3) Cut down the sporecap while toad is sleeping

4) Remove dragonfly's enrage.

Applied Horticulture:

1) grow 1~400 large trees all at once for bearger/ woodie. Oh I've most definitely done this with a friend a few times. 

2) Get light bulb and etc for werepig to make poop, good for fuel. Perfect for ruins! 

On Tentacles:

1) On tentacles can solo bee queen practically, provided you have reed traps in your world. The likely chance the reed traps and bee queen being close enough to each other for use is improbable. Unless the bee queen can somehow keep chasing you endlessly when within range? 

2) Build a killing tower that can kill krampus/ bunny for you. So you mean having all tentacles in one place.... with an optional lure?

Sleepytime Stories:

2) 13 secs before night, cast birds of the world x2 +  sleep time story x1. Birds will sleep all the way till morning. You can farm krampus sack by killing these birds. Ooh! Maximizing profit and easier to fight krampi. I forgot about that one.

3) Cut down the sporecap while toad is sleeping I also came up with this idea but forgot to write it. lol

4) Remove dragonfly's enrage. Really.....? I have to try that out. 

28 minutes ago, BirdyMurakami said:

Someone already suggested cacti and it's been there forever, but with the addition of shroom planters I can't believe that there are still people having trouble with sanity. Not to mention you can just stay insane and farm up the nightmares while others farm the birds. In DST your team mates can attack your nightmare creatures, so they can also keep you safe.

22 hours ago, BirdyMurakami said:

- Solo bee queen; not practical at all

Why would it not be practical? It's a super cheap method compared to what you'd have to get to fight her straight on. It is cheese, there is no doubt in that.. but...

So? You just run around the tentacles. You may get stung a couple of times, but nothing compared to what it would be to fight her straight on.

When the beequeen  moved to the main branch, I tried a solo with Wolfgang and two lureplants. It took me almost tree days, a couple of thule suits and beekeper hats, over 5 dragonpies and a whole bunch of other food to keep his mighty form and heal.

With wicker and her tentacles, the fight was done in 1 day, all I needed was a beekeper hat and armor, which only took a couple of hits, 1 pie to heal my wounds after and a bunch of sanity restoration to get my sanity up before the fight.

i used a full book of tentacles around the bee queen, hammered away and then just stood there while the tentacles destroyed her and every grumble bee she spawned. there are still plenty of tentacles left for the next fight.

i think i may expand my tam o' shanter business to include bee queen crowns too (free jelly beans with purchase!)

Archived