[Guide] Really simple liquid cooling - efficient and versatile (plus Save file)

This is the latest aquatuner build i've been using in my offline base - Thought i'd share it with you all.

Seems incredibly power efficient, easy to build and takes only a few short cycles to prime.

Save file included on the youtube description.

Some Pictures :

Spoiler

Bristle Farm :

image.thumb.png.705c7699e873208b677038bf798771ec.png

image.thumb.png.5fd859088bae1e01cde18552f0f6b0c3.png

image.thumb.png.1b1bd6a60f03b037ebb8654d31905414.png

image.thumb.png.65fc348ac3b366619d4a968d94e4a4a7.png

image.thumb.png.efac85663e8e9f0326c73783e5f4911d.png

image.thumb.png.86a4941ba3aae518ac09c597ee3e743a.png

image.thumb.png.cc9006feb0d0cab638ef7d058fe67fa5.png

(all automation settings are explained in the video)

NGG Cooling :

image.thumb.png.bdb1898fc6521fe7d3aa33127acfd074.png

image.thumb.png.bfc3020d7431f39b3fc0cb5d26bbe4f3.png

image.thumb.png.c6359110ea3ed1cab21ddda37afa000c.png

image.thumb.png.1cd280c121f4a19c0f2e0c1a501c5449.png

image.thumb.png.1c9f9783652769cea693c11ab36dc9ec.png

image.thumb.png.a25343705bec40ec405281241011da0c.png

While I'm never one to say how anyone should play their game, it's your game and you play it however is fun for you. But when you're making a build guide that uses a cooling exploit you really should state that upfront.

5 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

So...  this is Drip Cooling, right?

Yes. Aquatuners do not delete heat on their own, they only move it. Any system that achieves net cooling with an aquatuner is deleting heat somehow. This one uses the bug, clearly indicated by the fact that the aquatuner output just dumps on top of itself, completely trivializing heat management, a core part of the game.

7 hours ago, Stoof said:

While I'm never one to say how anyone should play their game, it's your game and you play it however is fun for you. But when you're making a build guide that uses a cooling exploit you really should state that upfront.

As much as you're entitled to your opinion, this wasn't intended to be a thread discussing the "holier than thou" principle - there's enough of that crap on the forums already. This was just a little guide on how to get yourself some water for crops - intended for newer players that maybe don't even concern themselves with hard cutting morality choices - and are just struggling to feed their dupes. Were it directed at the upper elite pitchfork brigade, I wouldn't have bothered explaining anything (nor provided a save file) - i'd have just posted screenshots and left it for people to figure out.

Regardless - the surface water bug has been in the game for so long now, and is so hard to avoid; it's virtually a core mechanic. Most people are often using it without realising, just by using bottle emptiers, stepped tanks; christ - even a slickster output would surface cool if it fell over a partially submerged object. 

Again - this isn't something i'm approving of - I've been one of the louder voices on the forums trying to appeal to Klei to fix liquid physics and heat mechanics. Alas, they havn't, and people had asked me for a simple build. This is just that.

Spoiler

This video surely shows that i'm not a fan of the bug - but until it's fixed, it's a feature. The devs know about it (and have openly acknowledged it on the Klei livestreams)  so either a) they can't fix it, b) they don't want to fix it yet, or c) it's intended. I'm guessing it's option b.

6 hours ago, Luminite2 said:

Yes. Aquatuners do not delete heat on their own, they only move it. Any system that achieves net cooling with an aquatuner is deleting heat somehow. This one uses the bug, clearly indicated by the fact that the aquatuner output just dumps on top of itself, completely trivializing heat management, a core part of the game.

It isn't just dumping on top of itself  - the vents are adjacent as one is hot, the other is cold - best way to mix liquids in a tank? have them deposit above a pump (a large chunk of metal (heatsink) that's going to suck up surrounding liquids).

5 hours ago, PickPay said:

Nice build thanks for sharing.

I wish you had showed the power overlay. The Aquatuner requires 1200W but I didn't see heavy watt wires. What am I missing ?

You're welcome - there was a power overlay screenie above (in the spoiler) - but as @Yoma_Nosme so rightly said - it runs way below 2000w for the most part.

9 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

As much as you're entitled to your opinion, this wasn't intended to be a thread discussing the "holier than thou" principle - there's enough of that crap on the forums already. This was just a little guide on how to get yourself some water for crops - intended for newer players that maybe don't even concern themselves with hard cutting morality choices - and are just struggling to feed their dupes. Were it directed at the upper elite pitchfork brigade, I wouldn't have bothered explaining anything (nor provided a save file) - i'd have just posted screenshots and left it for people to figure out.

Regardless - the surface water bug has been in the game for so long now, and is so hard to avoid; it's virtually a core mechanic. Most people are often using it without realising, just by using bottle emptiers, stepped tanks; christ - even a slickster output would surface cool if it fell over a partially submerged object. 

Again - this isn't something i'm approving of - I've been one of the louder voices on the forums trying to appeal to Klei to fix liquid physics and heat mechanics. Alas, they havn't, and people had asked me for a simple build. This is just that.

I don't believe this was strictly necessary. I wasn't trying to have a go or be holier than thou and if it came across that way I appologize. My point was really for newer players, who if and when Klei do sort out liquid mechanics may not understand why their farms are suddenly overheating because they just copied that guy from youtube's build. A simple disclaimer explaining that it was using a bug which could be patched at any time was all I was suggesting. Are these forums really that rancid or do I just come over more blunt than I realize, maybe my Northern Irish charm?

Again if I caused you offence I really do appologize. I do like your builds and that you take time during your streams to answer all questions in detail. I have even incorperated part of you metal volcano build in my current game. The last thing I am in this community to do is tell people how to play their game or try to impose my views.

1 hour ago, Stoof said:

I don't believe this was strictly necessary. I wasn't trying to have a go or be holier than thou and if it came across that way I appologize. My point was really for newer players, who if and when Klei do sort out liquid mechanics may not understand why their farms are suddenly overheating because they just copied that guy from youtube's build. A simple disclaimer explaining that it was using a bug which could be patched at any time was all I was suggesting. Are these forums really that rancid or do I just come over more blunt than I realize, maybe my Northern Irish charm?

Again if I caused you offence I really do appologize. I do like your builds and that you take time during your streams to answer all questions in detail. I have even incorperated part of you metal volcano build in my current game. The last thing I am in this community to do is tell people how to play their game or try to impose my views.

No offence taken or intended - too many people mistake literal prose for abuse or one-upmanship. Not the case here my emerald chum - I just don't sugar coat my words for the sake of it :)

As regards new players suffering from a slight crisis when their base stops working - this happens all the time, with both official patches that are documented - and stealthed hotfixes that aren't. That's just the nature of early access gaming.

I've recorded and uploaded videos that within less than a day were made redundant by a stealth change (steam turbines being a great example) - but with ONI being early access, it's just the nature of the beast; as such it's the players responsibility to ensure the thread/wiki/video they're referencing is current.

Spoiler

Not to go on about it - but I do make sure to update my videos with both description edits, and "cards" (those little popups in the top right of your videos on youtube - they're crap, but since they disabled annotations it's the only option available) to explain if a build is redundant. 

Steam turbine was a great example of hotfix abuse :p

(Check the description - I do try and be a nice guy I promise :p )

----------------

**Edit 2 :  updated build here https://youtu.be/3Z1p6Xv2GZs ** 

**Edit** A recent hotfix introduced a minimal heat requirement for the turbines which this build doesn't satisfy. See the forums here for my current proof of concept build : https://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/87252-working-updated-steam-turbine/

I'll update with a new video once this patch has settled down a little - I think the turbines will receive some tweaks.

----------------

Honestly I've just had the same discussion on Reddit so for ease i'll post the same response here - although you might have to pick apart the reasoning a little as it was more directed at the chosen tags : 

"If they're (the players) not experienced, then they wouldn't be aware of the surface cooling bug at all. So why the heck would I tag the video with a term they've never heard? Tagging it "drip cooling" for people who don't know what "drip cooling" is... Makes no sense. Might as well write "BREAD" on your sliced loaf, then throw it at some ducks :P"

Same thinking applies in my opinion - people have the option to comment if they're struggling, or tweet, come see me on stream, discord, etc - I can't really do more than that. Likewise if an experienced player stumbles upon a video and watches it - they'll recognise the pros/cons of a build.

Just a weird thing to show to 'new players' honestly. Why don't you make a vid with aquatuner submerged in pulluted water, feeding that water into a sieve and running output clean water through autotuner. That's beginner friendly, easy to build and not using controversial stuff. 

5 minutes ago, Grimgaw said:

..and not using controversial stuff. 

Yes, throwing bread at ducks with "Bread" written on it is evil!
Ducks can't read (or they can't tell us, that they can't read, or we couldn't understand that they are try to say that they can't read).

Thank you, very cool video, I really enjoy watching yours as you are very clear with the overlays.  I never understood the surface cooling thing until I saw your post/video on it, so thanks for that too.  I use SPOM with Borg cube so I'm not in the "holier than thou" camp and that cracked me up!  LOL   Honestly, as a newer player SO MANY things from the forum from older posts that were suggested didn't work when I tried it because it had been X number of updates of the game later and Klei had changed something in the game.  When it didn't work, I read to try to figure out what was wrong or asked.  People were/are helpful to a newbie.  If eventually drip cooling goes away, same thing will happen.  No biggie, it will be one of MANY things that have changed along the way if it ever does change.  And in the meantime, those current not so technical players like me get to see a great build with explanation and can try to implement those ideas.  I do like that the old threads now have a warning that they may not work with current build.   Thanks for your hard work, looks great!

2 hours ago, Grimgaw said:

Just a weird thing to show to 'new players' honestly. Why don't you make a vid with aquatuner submerged in pulluted water, feeding that water into a sieve and running output clean water through autotuner. That's beginner friendly, easy to build and not using controversial stuff. 

In my experience, if players are at the point where they're googling ONI terms, i.e. "Aquatuner"  - they've either reached the point where they want to try some slightly more in depth builds, or they're completely stuck figuring it out on their own. Either way, this vid could help them.

I have a fixed output video planned in debug, but hadn't recorded it yet as I was waiting to get some hints on the pre-release changes.

1 hour ago, Denisetwin said:

Honestly, as a newer player SO MANY things from the forum from older posts that were suggested didn't work when I tried it because it had been X number of updates of the game later and Klei had changed something in the game.  When it didn't work, I read to try to figure out what was wrong or asked.  People were/are helpful to a newbie.  If eventually drip cooling goes away, same thing will happen.  No biggie, it will be one of MANY things that have changed along the way if it ever does change.

Glad to hear that honestly - it's my sentiments exactly. 

21 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

This is the latest aquatuner build i've been using in my offline base - Thought i'd share it with you all.

Seems incredibly power efficient, easy to build and takes only a few short cycles to prime.

Yeah, I've been using this method for a while now.  You've seen my oxygen setup using it, for example.  I've been experimenting with a variety of other methods, but when you really just need to cool something down quickly, you can't beat pouring cold water over it.

3 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

I have ?

Its not like I haven't linked it repeatedly in your threads.   Someone always says I should use closed pipes instead of just dumping the water out.  But, hey.. here goes again.

oxygen1.png

The cooling requires almost no power.  Including cooling, the whole thing runs off the hydrogen it generates -- and then some.  I'm definitely in favor of using liquid coolants.

27 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Its not like I haven't linked it repeatedly in your threads.   Someone always says I should use closed pipes instead of just dumping the water out.  But, hey.. here goes again.

oxygen1.png

The cooling requires almost no power.  Including cooling, the whole thing runs off the hydrogen it generates -- and then some.  I'm definitely in favor of using liquid coolants.

Oh you're right I have seen this before - I just don't pay much attention to electrolyzer builds as a rule.

8 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I need to refine it now that pumps can pull a guaranteed 500g/s of gas.. but its still doing its job.

My bases would need 3-4 of these, so it's not worth the hassle for me :D 

My latest build is my favourite, super cheap and currently supporting 28 dupes with 20degree oxygen.

46 minutes ago, superhappyfun said:

I love the build but can you please post somewhere or explain in your video that this just a really fancy borg cube build. Most people are fine with it we just want to know if that's whats up or not.

This isn't a really fancy borg cube - this is different.

Saturnus' borg cube is fully enclosed and provides cooling to external elements using a fixed amount of liquid within an enclosed room.

This build provides addition liquid for whatever use, managed within a small chamber and automatically regulated.

You're comparing peas and carrots and calling them the same thing. Both builds exploit the same bug - but in totally different applications.

The problem with these forums is that so many people have jumped on the "drip cooling" / "borg cube" band wagon without actually bothering to do some reading, or some of their own testing to actually understand the bug itself.

I'd really like to do a liquid cooling build where I then transfer the heat to polluted water and send it to fertilizer makers or even just convert it back to clean water (sive is 40 degree sieve output right?) My problem is I can't conceptualize it in a way where it is running 100% of the time, doesn't destroy too much water and doesn't take advantage of any bugs. Yes I could try a number of ideas in dubug run through cycles and see what works but I always find making and testing stuff in debug just isn't any fun for me.

Edit:Maybe a 2 tank system when one get too hot it drains and refills while the aquatuner in the other is being used.

1 hour ago, Stoof said:

I'd really like to do a liquid cooling build where I then transfer the heat to polluted water and send it to fertilizer makers or even just convert it back to clean water (sive is 40 degree sieve output right?) My problem is I can't conceptualize it in a way where it is running 100% of the time, doesn't destroy too much water and doesn't take advantage of any bugs. Yes I could try a number of ideas in dubug run through cycles and see what works but I always find making and testing stuff in debug just isn't any fun for me.

Edit:Maybe a 2 tank system when one get too hot it drains and refills while the aquatuner in the other is being used.

Archived