[Game Update] - 235181

• Developer
  • Gas displacement should no longer have a directional bias
  • Dupes should no longer get stuck when walking past a disabled Exosuit Checkpoint
  • Dupes wearing clothing should no longer ignore Exosuit Checkpoints
  • Dupes should no longer remove their regular clothing when recovering breath
  • Tinkering now improves Oil Well depressurization speed
  • Duplicants should no longer complain about being hot when wearing the Exosuit unless they are in an extremely hot area
  • Duplicants should no longer have helmets appear when going to sleep after unequipping an Exosuit
  • Duplicants should no longer have dozens of tiny outfits floating around their heads when eating after unequipping an Exosuit

View full update

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Michi01 said:

Does this mean that CO2 will no longer move towards the right in oxygen etc?

Putting CO2 scrubbers in the bottom-right corner of my base has become a core building principle for me. This might end up having a huge effect on the way that I design bases.

37 minutes ago, Michi01 said:

Does this mean that CO2 will no longer move towards the right in oxygen etc?

That was exactly what I was wondering if so that applies to all gasses, which like RemyG says I also wonder how it will affect them.

47 minutes ago, Tenshi Kirai said:

Please increase performance, it is almost impossible to play after 100 

Just now, BETTER_GOD_AND_SATAN said:

Get a better PC

They have been increasing performance through various means, but even with 30 dupes I still run above 40fps on triple speed on the current build and my pc isn't exactly new. They can only do so much to optimize it before the problem is the hardware specs not the software.

13 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

Here now and just got through playing for several hours, nice to know they won't be dreaming about bubbles on their heads, or floating clothes.

And here I was, thinking that Meep wanted that awesome clothes sleeves for Dupli'mas.

• Like 2

Still getting double oxygen graphics, wasn't sure if this bug was tied to the other exo-bugs. Both values seem to actively change too, so it's not as if it's just a fixed value from the exosuit.

image.thumb.png.de80777b1ba03ee57037bf0e475fdf82.png

image.thumb.png.39ca47e115cb37f35163c4b4009fa266.png

Last pic shows the change in both values

image.thumb.png.5a3f2a7baf3b759becd2a621a3ab7c5d.png

11 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Still getting double oxygen graphics, wasn't sure if this bug was tied to the other exo-bugs. Both values seem to actively change too, so it's not as if it's just a fixed value from the exosuit.

Just has a dangling reference to an oxygen tank that exists somewhere else. Nothing major, just annoying.

5 minutes ago, Risu said:

Just has a dangling reference to an oxygen tank that exists somewhere else. Nothing major, just annoying.

Ahhh righto, I figured as much - just wasn't sure if this was "the" exosuit fix before release, so figured i'd point it out. Currently most of my dupes are running around with it, and if I've a damaged dupe I have a lovely 3-stripe motif going on :D 

image.thumb.png.9e9e1cda2ff5342694af69acfd15a263.png

Edited by Lifegrow
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tenshi Kirai said:

Good, I am with cycle 400 with 14 dupes to 18 FPS 

Even in pause the game +- 28 FPS   

My PC 
CPU: i7 4790k
RAM: 24GB 1886 Mhz
VGA: GTX 1060 6GB Zotac AMP+

7 hours ago, BETTER_GOD_AND_SATAN said:

Get a better PC

i have i5 4460, 16gb ram, gtx 960
there a something i learn how to get better fps,

• decreasing gas movement, dont build many hydrogen loop inside the base (pipe movement)
  • heat exchanging, when excavate outside base, just make 3 space wide with ladder, dont dig all the tile you not use, the more tile you open the more heat and gas exchange, the more calculation bog the proccessor
  • dont queue too many task for dupe, including storage/material lying around

i guess klei need to make custom map size (small, half, default), current map is imposible to clear out (100% fog clear) without decreasing fps

Well, CO2 is still favoring the lower right corners of rooms - PO2 is still banding / stratifying, it does sink, most of the time.. but hydrogen, looks like it favors being very random coming from the electrolyzer. I don't usually build HHO rooms, but I have one set up that's nearly 144 square tiles on account of ..reasons, and hydrogen shoots out of that machine in the strangest places...

What I have noticed is the pumps are starting to act hesitant in mixed gasses - as if they're waiting for more of the one type of gas to grab. I had one running fast and another running at what seemed like 2/3 the speed only two tiles below itt - no pipe-blocked message, no power down, etc, just slow. So I watched it accumulate gas in it's reservoir and it was pull hydrogen in from what I can only assume was more than one tile space where the mass of the two gasses in the tiles were less than the sum of a full 'packet'. So I'm thinking I may need to reposition my pumps.

This directional bias is probably what was causing CO2 to dam water the way that it was. CO2 favoring the lower right - actually, everything favoring the lower right is some sort of vector mathematics artifact showing up as a result of trying to define non-mixing gases in terms of grid occupancy. This is especially prevalent in heavy or buoyant gases across long horizontal floors and ceilings - they jog back and forth, then jump off to the right (CO2) or left (H2) - all it takes is one gas acting ahead of any other in the math for such artifacting to snowball into the effect we're seeing..

If they formulate the simulation such that everything were to favor the lower left (and upper right), then all they would have to do is switch the left settling algorithm and the current right settling algorithms at a set interval - it would be a sort of shake-down method for settling gasses. The interval time would have to exceed the time it takes to do all of the displacement calculations - some factors higher than just staying on the left or right long enough for gases to simply switching positions. It's would be a nifty hack. There's a lot more at play than just gases for their namesake - temperature, density, etc.

Edit: it occurred to me that if this were done ... rather than getting a nice even layer of gasses, the result would be more like a pyramid ( for flat spaces ) in the general area of the lowest point. Gasses would tend to heap if there's not an active algorithm in place to settle the gasses.

I can't use any of this to explain away the banding in polluted and clean O2 - all I can do is guess that there's a factor of reach involved in how far one gas gets displaced by another when it has nearly the same properties as other gasses around it.

Edited by The Plum Gate
noted
  • Like 1

CO2 most definitively still likes to clump up to the right.  I made a test with two identical long chambers and set one half to oxygen and the other half to CO2 (via the debug menu).  In the top chamber the CO2 started on the right and after a cycle it was still on the right.  In the bottom chamber the CO2 started on the left and after a cycle it had switched place with the oxygen to clump up at the right.

cy2.thumb.png.97fc18c6eaf9e9e649dd1df15dbfa192.png

• Thanks 1