RoG coming... moles, gun powder, old bell...

I remeber when I made it to day 100 in RoG the first time. I also played with webber. Well, I suicided at day 100, because on day 99 one single chest burnt, the chest with the old bell. A mole grabed it destoyed my base. After that I took the bell, a weather pain and some other stuff and terrorized the pigs and then I killed myself.

So...

1. Acquire an old bell secretly.
  2. Acquire a mole secretly.
  3. Place old bell in a base... behind a chest or structure... not in it... but behind something... hide it from plain sight...
  4. Wait for everyone to leave... or make them an audience...
  5. Place mole near the old bell...
  6. Go as far as you can away from the base... say that you're going to gather resources...
  7. Wait for the sound of destruction...

Innocence... blame the mole...

You guys do realize that not all players have figured out all the tricks in the game in order to screw up someone's work and you guys are basically spoon feeding them with ideas on how to do so and then when something like this happens you come back on the forums and and moan about them...

Sure, some may know this stuff already, but some have no clue and barely survive day 1, or first hound attack... Just saying..

You guys do realize that not all players have figured out all the tricks in the game in order to screw up someone's work and you guys are basically spoon feeding them with ideas on how to do so and then when something like this happens you come back on the forums and and moan about them...

Sure, some may know this stuff already, but some have no clue and barely survive day 1, or first hound attack... Just saying..

Personally, as this is the beta forum, I think it's better to lay it all out in the open so that we can perhaps curb some of the more harmful potential behaviors before the game goes live.

It's not really that hard to google RoG stuff if you really want to find strategies to grief others.  That's just my opinion, though.

No, the game itself is beta, anyone can get access to this side of the forum and get ideas from here.

Anyway, not saying is a bad idea to talk this sort of things so developers would hopefully find a way to prevent unfair use of the game features, but at the same time this it's like Pandora's box. :)

Getting an old bell seems like a lot of work just to frame an innocent mole. Normal griefers will still probably use the hammer/torch methods. They just want to go in, do some damage, leave.

If someone took the effort to find Glommer and craft an old bell, place it in the camp, catch a mole, and place it near the bell.... they deserve a cookie.

I'm surprised devs haven't made a trap set piece with a base, where there's all sorts of stuff and a chest in the middle and by opening it, the bell in the chest will ring. Has ANYONE aside me ever thought of that? I mean, if it's possible to insta-winter upon opening a chest, or start fire upon opening one, or make all food in your inventory rot upon opening one, then surely it is possible to set a chest when upon opening it, the old bell in it rings and summons bigfoot, right?

@XirmiX
Yeah, I also had that idea once, but directly forgot about that.
But if we're talking about set pieces, I just got an idea.
What about set pieces that look like player built bases
and almost always have a like deadly trap. Or players being
able to craft trap chests...

@XirmiX

Yeah, I also had that idea once, but directly forgot about that.

But if we're talking about set pieces, I just got an idea.

What about set pieces that look like player built bases

and almost always have a like deadly trap. Or players being

able to craft trap chests...

At the time when DST beta came out, I was actually expecting set pieces with science machies, firepits, crock pots etc. but nah, the devs left the set pieces as they were! Btw, how are these mechanics put into the set pieces anyway?

old bell
 old bell.... old bell.... old belll....oldbelll....oldbelll...old....bell....oldenbelll olde bell.... old belll... old bell....

Yeah, just feed the voices in my head. I actually like the fact that Old Bell screwing people over is much more possible and plausible in DST. Doesn't silence the screaming voices, but at least calms them down a bit(specially because, if people want to make fire harder to get, maybe there'll be some movement for a rarer Old Bell).

still sucks in Singleplayer.

Guys guys, there can be only one who can read the blueprint of old bell. So, either that guy becomes a complete jerk or a careful person who has great responsibility in keeping it on him on all record. Pray to RNGesus, amen.

Yeah about that... so a random player can enter a server and find the statue, read the blue print and leave the servers... the host/other players will be unable to build it... another trolling mechanism...

Internal dialogue:

1: So... make more of the blueprints!

2: Nah... that would mean making tons of statues...

1: What about... making the statue reset itself every New Moon?

2: I don't know... So any of the players can wreak havoc with the old bell.

1: Well, only one glommer can exist at any given time... per statue that is...

2: So you want to make a lot of glommer statues then?

1: I don't know...

2: Or we could make the old bell... like non existent in the upcoming game...

1: NOOOOO!

2: YESSSSSSSSS!

1: Or we could just like... make it not as destructive?

2: Oh OK, so a giant foot falls on some structures and they come out of it unscathed? T__T

1: I didn't mean that, like... well... umm... well... that's kinda what I was trying to say... it sounded better in my head...

2: We are in your head!

O___O Shrooms...

We need a solution and fast!!

Yeah about that... so a random player can enter a server and find the statue, read the blue print and leave the servers... the host/other players will be unable to build it... another trolling mechanism...
Actually, bringing the blueprint into the picture is a really interesting point. Unless we have some method of world-jumping, or the statue's behavior gets revised in some way, only one person will reliably be able to make the Old Bell (although it is possible, but extremely unlikely, to get the blueprint from tumbleweeds-- I've only gotten it once). So the host could easily ensure a monopoly on the Old Bell to prevent griefing. 

I think I was the first one to discover that moles FLATTEN your base if left unnoticed. SethR was happy to see the "THE WORST THING TO EVER HAPPEN, JUST HAPPENED" thread.

Yup, that is the whole purpose of moleworms: to make you clean up your messy base!

No, the game itself is beta, anyone can get access to this side of the forum and get ideas from here.

I meant that the game is in beta and there's still time before it goes live; not that the forums are somehow exclusive to beta players.  :p

Sorry for any confusion there.

I still think it's better to talk about potentially harmful behaviors beforehand than to just pretend they don't exist.  If they can't be discussed here, where something may actually be done about them, then where?

2: Or we could make the old bell... like non existent in the upcoming game...
yes?

Another option is to change the way to aquire the Old Bell. I know I annoy everyone here a lot about this idea, but this seems like a good enough excuse to annoy you guys some more. Maybe make it so it is somehow aquirable from the ruins/caves if they're ever in the game(and the Bell does look like it's made of some super rare ore and imbued with magical powers *hint* *hint*).

It could even be integratred with Through the Ages when it's out next millenium.

Maybe when you learn it, you also get the option to craft a Blueprint and you can therefore teach it to other players.

Awesome (if it's the host)

But... what if the one who learned it is *drum roll...

A troll!!

They could not share it and... hmm... or they could just take it with them never to be seen again?

O__O

(Or, using your idea... after one player learns the recipe, anyone who enters that world learns it too?)

O__O

Giving people the recipe right off the bat might not be the best solution though.

Well yeah... but if you can only get 1 glommer at a time then making an old bell is kinda hard...

Even if another player kills glommer for the wings, the Host player (should) still have the flower...

or something...

its-something.jpg

Well, we could always DebugSpawn/c_give/c_spawn that thing... so the real problem should be the sheer power and destruction it deals O___O

Archived