Please no Cannibalism

If you don't like cannibalism, then why don't you just... not eat the meat?

I mean people drop meat in real life, and we choose not to eat it. Is it all that different?

So, guys, I just got this great idea.

What if we got the option to bury the longpig?

You know

In some sort of small hole.

Like maybe a grave or something?

Would that make the OP feel all better?

To be honest, you are definitely overreacting to the whole thing. Even if it just makes you "feel sick", the whole game is about taking you out of your comfort zone. The only reason the player doesn't drop meat when they die in singleplay is because usually that means the game is over anyway.

It makes perfect sense to have multiplayer Cannibalism in a game called Don't Starve, no matter how squeemish you may be. Having it as a toggle would be great, and the fact that you wouldn't even like it being an option kind of makes you look bad compared to some of the other people who have replied to you.

Not only that, but to think that cannibalism would raise the ESRB rating is silly.

I'm not a fan of cannibalism, but I also don't agree that it "doesn't make sense" or "should not even be an option that you can toggle". Options are good. The more the better. Don't try to force your feelings on others by saying that there should not be even the option for a mechanic that makes perfect sense in a starvation scenario,.

And since somebody brought up their phobia and asked how to handle it, I also will offer this reply to potential solutions so it does not cripple your psyche.

But in no way of course am I endorsing cannibalism. And if you feel it's not affecting your daily life, fine. And I also like an option to toggle this ...content for lack of a better word. 

But be careful this aversion does not suck you in to the point it makes you lose enjoyment of everything else it so affects you.

I'll end on that note. 

There have been posts about people having phobia about spiders, some about ghosts, some about the whole sanity downsides in general. Phobia are an abnormality, a game shouldn't be designed towards very very few exceptions. But that's just my opinion, I'm not a game designer!

There have been posts about people having phobia about spiders, some about ghosts, some about the whole sanity downsides in general. Phobia are an abnormality, a game shouldn't be designed towards very very few exceptions. But that's just my opinion, I'm not a game designer!

the thing is that finding cannibalism disgusting isn't a phobia. It's just having a higher sensibility to moral values and stuff like that(don't expect me to be able to explain it...), and while I do agree that it's not good to take out a interesting game feature just because it might offend other people, I'm not sure cannibalism as it's introduced and in a game like don't starve is really interesting enough

the thing is that finding cannibalism disgusting isn't a phobia. It's just having a higher sensibility to moral values and stuff like that(don't expect me to be able to explain it...), and while I do agree that it's not good to take out a interesting game feature just because it might offend other people, I'm not sure cannibalism as it's introduced and in a game like don't starve is really interesting enough

I was referring to what the truthseeker wrote, he wrote about phobia.

I think all people here put to much real life values into a game. What if I eat someone in a game? I'm just making virtual action on an virtual character, its not real at all. Why you must drag all crap from the real world into a games? Games are made to be fun, I find eating my in game friend funny. Most people can slaughter tons of NPC's in GTA, Skyrim, put sims into swimming pools and remove the ladders.

They find it funny, and likme they don't care much about real world rules, cause all that is in game, and it won't turn me into blood thirsty serial killer in real world either. Games are made for this so you can do things you would never do in real world, its all just for fun, and you are ordering your virtual character to do things, so if you don't want to do something just don't do It, but don't try to force Your rules on all other game users.

Cannibalism, sure. but this is a far cry from that. it's a like phobia if you take away the fear part but leave the irrational part.

for registered users that visit the forum, sure.

Um... yeah. I'm not really sure how to respond to that. Should we go door-to-door for a few years and hopefully track down every single person who plays Don't Starve but isn't on the forums?

Asking here on the forums is really the only option.

Um... yeah. I'm not really sure how to respond to that. Should we go door-to-door for a few years and hopefully track down every single person who plays Don't Starve but isn't on the forums?

Asking here on the forums is really the only option.

My point wasn't that we need as many people as possible to vote. It was that forum polls are pretty much as useful as the off-topic section - a nice way to pass the time and nothing more.

(also, there's already been one, just not in this thread. I think it was in the 1st of probably 10 threads about this subject)

My point wasn't that we need as many people as possible to vote. It was that forum polls are pretty much as useful as the off-topic section - a nice way to pass the time and nothing more.

(also, there's already been one, just not in this thread. I think it was in the 1st of probably 10 threads about this subject)

OK, I get what you are saying now. Eh, I feel like this has become a semi-serious topic for some people, and they would be more inclined to vote seriously. I could be completely wrong though. And like you said, there was already a poll about it 5 months ago. I wish I had been around back then and gotten to vote.

OK, I get what you are saying now. Eh, I feel like this has become a semi-serious topic for some people, and they would be more inclined to vote seriously. I could be completely wrong though. And like you said, there was already a poll about it 5 months ago. I wish I had been around back then and gotten to vote.

unless it got locked, you can still vote :p

*cleared to discuss now*

The DST server creation has a PvP selector that can be toggled on or off. Selecting games that have a skull is choosing a PvP enabled server.

If cannibalism truly disgusts you, then steer clear of these servers. Else, don't complain about it. 

So if PvP is off, you can't eat your friends' meat even if a beefalo kills them?

• Developer

from what i saw, they don't drop Long pig. Now this is all very new and crashy, so I could have missed it of course, but i do not think so. 

That's correct. I turned it off. The files are still in the game, but long pig will not get dropped when a player dies.

Here's where my thinking is right now: players dropping human meat, while perhaps consistent with creatures, is a little bit too macabre, even for Don't Starve. A lot of our audience skews pretty young and I'd rather make a game that is appropriate for everyone, if a little dark at times. Since we expect players to die, human meat/cannibalism would actually be a pretty prominent feature (as compared to something similarly dark like, say, Wendy's inspect dialog for rope, which basically amounts to an easter egg). So I don't anticipate it being a part of the default game. However, we already made the art and implementation so my plan is basically to leave that stuff in the game files and let the mod community add it as a mod if they so choose (which would be a pretty simple mod: just add the prefab to the players inventory right before they drop everything on death). In addition to making the game generally more palatable for people who want to steer clear of cannibalism, it makes it clearer when you'd be joining a server that has it, since it'd be explicitly listed as a mod that is enabled on the server: easy to find if you want it, easy to avoid if you don't.

That's correct. I turned it off. The files are still in the game, but long pig will not get dropped when a player dies.

Here's where my thinking is right now: players dropping human meat, while perhaps consistent with creatures, is a little bit too macabre, even for Don't Starve. A lot of our audience skews pretty young and I'd rather make a game that is appropriate for everyone, if a little dark at times. Since we expect players to die, human meat/cannibalism would actually be a pretty prominent feature (as compared to something similarly dark like, say, Wendy's inspect dialog for rope, which basically amounts to an easter egg). So I don't anticipate it being a part of the default game. However, we already made the art and implementation so my plan is basically to leave that stuff in the game files and let the mod community add it as a mod if they so choose (which would be a pretty simple mod: just add the prefab to the players inventory right before they drop everything on death). In addition to making the game generally more palatable for people who want to steer clear of cannibalism, it makes it clearer when you'd be joining a server that has it, since it'd be explicitly listed as a mod that is enabled on the server: easy to find if you want it, easy to avoid if you don't.

There you have it @Maximum124. Don't forget to type thank you to Seth R.  

Archived