Request: Visual / Audible sensor alarms

Hey all,

I haven't seen this discussed here before, wonder if this has been considered?

I sure wish there was some way to have a sensor trigger a message on screen, maybe with a sound? I'd love getting a notification when that oil puddle is running out, or maybe a warning when some part of your oxygen production fails. I realize there's usually a way to automate the system, but for simple or temporary things, it would be nice.

Anyway, hope you're all having a great day.

You can always set up a set up a system that gives a "building entombed" or "building lacks resources" warning.

But if you want a really effective warning then set the system up to close the doors to your bedrooms. It'll give the "bedroom out of reach" warning, and will be quite hard to miss. If you really want it to be something you notice then have the system close the doors to your bathroom. Your dupes will start making a mess everywhere and will be incredibly hard to miss.

3 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

You can always set up a set up a system that gives a "building entombed" or "building lacks resources" warning.

Nice idea never really thought of that, so I use the simple solution of running automation to a ceiling light (visual ouput).

[Put the light in some CO2 with a tempshift plate behind for optimal visibility.]

But I would like to have a way to trigger my "own" notification (so your able to have a text showing useful information and not just "building entombed" ...)

12 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

But I would like to have a way to trigger my "own" notification (so your able to have a text showing useful information and not just "building entombed" ...)

Yep. 32 characters and a choice of 6 or so font colors would be perfect for me. 

You can get a pretty nice alarm sound by connecting the input and output of a NOT gate.  But I don't know how you'd make that configurable (or allow it to end...) based on other Automation.

Another cool thing would be an Automation gate that connects or disconnects other Automation based on what signal it is receiving through a separate port.  You'd have a "control" port, which would decide whether to connect or disconnect the other input port to the output.

20 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

You can get a pretty nice alarm sound by connecting the input and output of a NOT gate.  But I don't know how you'd make that configurable (or allow it to end...) based on other Automation.

Another cool thing would be an Automation gate that connects or disconnects other Automation based on what signal it is receiving through a separate port.  You'd have a "control" port, which would decide whether to connect or disconnect the other input port to the output.

You could also make a small automation circuit to make a lamp flash repeatedly. It's not exactly a message prompt, but I scroll across the base enough to know that something like that would catch my attention.

2 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

Isn't that just an AND gate?

8 hours ago, phod said:

Hey all,

I haven't seen this discussed here before, wonder if this has been considered?

I proposed a siren and some flashing lights triggered by automation ages ago. Why don't you just put something like that in the suggestion forum?

I guess something could be rigged with drowning a dupe by automation or so, but that would be really high effort.

23 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Isn't that just an AND gate?

In my head, it would serve the purpose of switching a system between 2 (or more) modes, simplifying the complex of AND and NOT gates to just 1 or 2 to achieve the same effect.  Not sure if that pans out in reality, though.

2 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

In my head, it would serve the purpose of switching a system between 2 (or more) modes, simplifying the complex of AND and NOT gates to just 1 or 2 to achieve the same effect.  Not sure if that pans out in reality, though.

If you could detail a scenario for which you'd use it that would be helpful.

You can make a house with a door floor (with a room, a cafeteria with food via transport and a bathroom) with a single dupe, on top of your water reservoir, when the automation triggers it drowns and you receive the warning of death

Archived