New puft farm design

On 18/11/2018 at 11:14 PM, Neotuck said:

that depends on the rate of O2 you pipe in

Actually just remembered. If you send all the oxygen to a dense puft farm that will get rid of the slime lung. And oxylite is more fun than the gas version. Only a 5% reduction in oxygen at the end and you get alot more eggs.

I've got a infectious polluted oxygen vent feeding my dense pufts in my current game.

On 11/17/2018 at 8:02 PM, Neotuck said:

I don't know for sure, seems I'm producing more PW bottles than necessary

my next idea is to add a pressure plate on the far side of the stable were dupes won't walk, this will alow me to turn off the algae terrariums when I have enough PW bottles on the floor

so if we add the downtime of algae and water not being used on the terrariums then maybe we can net positive?

Time for some MATH!!!

I worked on this a while back.    While it is extremely efficient, it isn't water positive.

I think the numbers come out to less than half the water necessary to make O2 via electrolyzers.  On the other hand.. you no longer have tons of hydrogen to play with, and some of your dupes are going to be busy ranching pufts.  Anyway, on maps where water is a problem, this is definitely a solution.

You know, I was thinking about this, and realized the dirt it produces is another benefit.    I am currently thinking about setting up a sleet wheat farm but have limited sustainable dirt sources.  This set up produces excess algae, which can feed pacus(dirt) along with producing its own dirt.   All at the cost of water(most maps have plenty) and sand/regolith(in massive overabundance forever).

3 minutes ago, Iriswaters said:

I am currently thinking about setting up a sleet wheat farm but have limited sustainable dirt sources.

It's best to build a dirt farm first when aiming for a sleet wheat farm

also build fertilizer synthesizers, it's true that this might cost extra dirt but the overall dirt cost for the sleet wheat will be reduced by about 25% (half time by farmer's touch plus dirt for fertilizer) 

2 minutes ago, Iriswaters said:

A dirt farm?

for dirt production, there are 2 types

First is using a bunch of compost piles for Pdirt and rot piles supplied with a conveyor rail system

Second is a dirt cooker where you send slime and algae on a conveyor though hot metal tiles to be "cooked" dirt tiles will form on top of the metal tiles were you can collect it with robo-miners and sweepers

Ah, yeah.   I was just brainstorming for ideas for renewable sources of the base mats.  4g/s of p dirt per 5.8 pufts isn't a whole lot, but the extra 18.3g/s of algae can be fed to pacus or cooked down to dirt directly.   I guess cooking it is more efficient in total output but pacu farming also produces eggs and meat.   Cooking it is also pretty energy intensive, since you need to heat it up to 125C and then cool it all the way back down to 5C...

2 minutes ago, Iriswaters said:

Ah, yeah.   I was just brainstorming for ideas for renewable sources of the base mats.  4g/s of p dirt per 5.8 pufts isn't a whole lot, but the extra 18.3g/s of algae can be fed to pacus or cooked down to dirt directly.   I guess cooking it is more efficient in total output but pacu farming also produces eggs and meat.   Cooking it is also pretty energy intensive, since you need to heat it up to 125C and then cool it all the way back down to 5C...

If you plan to use puft farming for dirt then use morbs only, you get more dirt from PW by sieving it then using pufts.  Also cook the slime not algae from puft farming as you lose mass from distilling

also don't worry about cooling the dirt back down to 5C, as long as the sleet wheat farm has a good AC system then the hot dirt won't warm it up much

Personally I prefer the compost option, you can automate composting meat and raw eggs by storing them in a PO2 environment to speed up the rotting process 

With the 25% efficiency buff, that means a single algae terrarium can support

5.8 pufts

18.3 g/s algea is not enough to even make a dent in the appetite of a pacu, but as long as you feed their feeder at least 1kg/day they will stay alive and kick out the occasional spare egg.   And it makes 9g/2 p dirt.

13g/s p dirt, with farmer's touch doubling but some dirt burned on fertilizer for about +25% efficiency, that supplies 2 sleet wheats.   Lol.  

Would have to have a lot of pufts for it to make much impact.

Just now, Iriswaters said:

With the 25% efficiency buff, that means a single algae terrarium can support

5.8 pufts

18.3 g/s algea is not enough to even make a dent in the appetite of a pacu, but as long as you feed their feeder at least 1kg/day they will stay alive and kick out the occasional spare egg.   And it makes 9g/2 p dirt.

13g/s p dirt, with farmer's touch doubling but some dirt burned on fertilizer for about +25% efficiency, that supplies 2 sleet wheats.   Lol.  

Would have to have a lot of pufts for it to make much impact.

you have to be creative in looking for compostables

for example if you have a surplus of clean water you can make a large bristle farm and rot the berries

2 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

If you plan to use puft farming for dirt then use morbs only, you get more dirt from PW by sieving it then using pufts.  Also cook the slime not algae from puft farming as you lose mass from distilling

also don't worry about cooling the dirt back down to 5C, as long as the sleet wheat farm has a good AC system then the hot dirt won't warm it up much

Personally I prefer the compost option, you can automate composting meat and raw eggs by storing them in a PO2 environment to speed up the rotting process 

You get more dirt from PW by sieving it, but the pufts are kind of the source of your PW.   And morbs are all slimelung....

1 minute ago, Iriswaters said:

You get more dirt from PW by sieving it, but the pufts are kind of the source of your PW.   And morbs are all slimelung....

I was referring to the bottled PW at the start of this thread, using PW bottles isn't water positive so you can't call puft farming this way a source of PW

as for the slimelung remember you are going to COOK the slime into dirt

So  - I figured out a fast and reliable to create PW bottles evenly across a floor is to actually run a long line of PIPES above the floor you want all the bottles to lineup  and then just click on empty pipe across all of them. This just creates a bunch of bottles along the floor.  No need to use the flood mopping method or the terrarium method.  

1 hour ago, RonEmpire said:

So  - I figured out a fast and reliable to create PW bottles evenly across a floor is to actually run a long line of PIPES above the floor you want all the bottles to lineup  and then just click on empty pipe across all of them. This just creates a bunch of bottles along the floor.  No need to use the flood mopping method or the terrarium method.  

can this be built as a "build and forget" method?

Just now, Neotuck said:

can this be built as a "build and forget" method?

its minimal maintenance.   you get so much polluted bottles you probably wont need to redrag empty pipes again.    if you have the water flowing constantly, they'll just be constantly emptying the pipes. 

3 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

its minimal maintenance.   you get so much polluted bottles you probably wont need to redrag empty pipes again.    if you have the water flowing constantly, they'll just be constantly emptying the pipes. 

I do like this idea, be interesting if we automate it with doors to prevent plumbers from accessing it when we have enough bottles on the floor

yea you could do that.  they're basically converting water from the pipe into bottles  that stack on the floor until they get tired and go to sleep.  since the pipes are constantly flowing/refilling.  you could setup an automation with weight plates per floor to unlock doors.  

its a lot faster than waiting on the terrariums to be delivered with water and having to empty them etc.    you get the PW bottles  much much faster.

One thing I do notice is when they're giving off PO2,  the water bottles DO in fact lose mass.   I had a 6ton bottle of PW giving off over 250g/s  and its slowly decreasing in mass.  I'm now down to 5.7T.   I saw it go down to 5.9T and etc.  and the emitted PO2 is decreasing as well.   

So the trick is to use a  bridge at the end of your pipe lines   and just empty pipe and they'll continuously get refilled and replaced.   my guy is just making bottles until he goes to sleep without having to reset the empty pipe command.

the water flows to the white block of the bridge.  but the green block end doesn't need to be connected to anything.

6 minutes ago, ishakaru said:

Another trick is to build tanks along the bottom. Fill them up with pwater, then deconstruct the tanks. This leaves the 5t of pwater in bottles each with little active dupe time.

That relies on surface PW off-gassing, which is not reliable

Archived