Liquid oxygen gaining temperature inside liquid reservoir

2 hours ago, SackMaggie said:

So after this wall of text.

1. Reservoir doesn't transfer heat but the content do and it transfer at bottom left for liquid and center for gas.

2. Content inside reservoir will not transfer heat if it sit on mesh/air flow tiles or bottom tiles need to be insulator and need to be in vacuum too.

Correct ?

The first statement is correct, but not the second.  You need both the vacuum and the mesh/air flow tile to prevent transfer.  If you have the reservoir sitting on insulated tiles in a vacuum you will still see transfer.  Likewise, if you have the reservoir sitting on mesh/air flow tiles and not in a vacuum, it should still transfer with the gas in the room.  Mesh/air flow tiles in a vacuum act like a vacuum, which is why both are needed.

2 minutes ago, Nitroturtle said:

You need both the vacuum and the mesh/air flow tile to prevent transfer.

2 hours ago, SackMaggie said:

mesh/air flow tiles or bottom tiles need to be insulator and need to be in vacuum too.

I think you misread or something what I said was.

(A OR B) AND C

Which is  (on mesh/airflow OR insulator) AND in vacuum.

Even if it was only ceramic tiles, it'd be 99.99% correct but since one needs a vacuum for that anyway, one more tile will not hurt~

Personally I will most likely end up with a room which has two tanks and a gas pump in between those for a quick vacuum. Perhaps I make it 4 instead with two floors or even 8 on two since liquid tanks are compact but more would be seriously overkill since two are enough for any two rockets (one for LOX and one for Hydrogen). That is, when rocketry becomes viable... as in not crash-bugging the game~

31 minutes ago, Nitroturtle said:

I hate that the new material is called insulation.

If you want to make a petition to change it to Diethelm, you will have my vote!

Even ceramic insulated tiles aren't enough.  Here's one in a vacuum surrounded by insulated ceramic tiles after one cycle:

20181118115052_1.thumb.jpg.20696b3eb870cb4d2557d8eae44911b1.jpg

I seriously think this is bugged.  It seems like liquid within a building is transferring heat with the bottom left tile while ignoring the 'insulated' trait of the material.  I tried another reservoir surrounded by normal ceramic tiles and the heat transfer was almost identical.

Okay I just ran another test between ceramic and insulated ceramic.  I only used the material in the bottom left spot and used insulated insulation tiles for the rest, to avoid having transfer between tiles throw off the numbers.  What I'm seeing is that transfer to the insulated tile is occuring at half the rate as the non-insulated.  Starting at 20C in both tiles, the non-insulated tile was 40C when the insulated tile was 30C.  I still think transfer is occuring too fast in this situation since it's faster than if the petro was sitting directly on the tiles.

Boy things just keep getting weirder and weirder.  So buildings only exchange heat with fluids they are in, not the solid they are on, fluids in buildings exchange heat with the fluid they are in, AND the solid they are on ( but not the building itself ), fluids in pipes only exchange heat with the pipe, then the pipe exchanges heat with the fluid or solid they are in contact with, except that radiant pipes, tempshift plates a and mesh tiles won't exchange heat with others in that group.  Is that everything?

On 11/18/2018 at 10:52 AM, Nitroturtle said:

Even ceramic insulated tiles aren't enough.  Here's one in a vacuum surrounded by insulated ceramic tiles after one cycle:

20181118115052_1.thumb.jpg.20696b3eb870cb4d2557d8eae44911b1.jpg

I seriously think this is bugged.  It seems like liquid within a building is transferring heat with the bottom left tile while ignoring the 'insulated' trait of the material.  I tried another reservoir surrounded by normal ceramic tiles and the heat transfer was almost identical.

Okay I just ran another test between ceramic and insulated ceramic.  I only used the material in the bottom left spot and used insulated insulation tiles for the rest, to avoid having transfer between tiles throw off the numbers.  What I'm seeing is that transfer to the insulated tile is occuring at half the rate as the non-insulated.  Starting at 20C in both tiles, the non-insulated tile was 40C when the insulated tile was 30C.  I still think transfer is occuring too fast in this situation since it's faster than if the petro was sitting directly on the tiles.

Really interesting to me that you can use this to transfer a lot more heat per tile than if it was sitting on the tile directly. Even insulation aside, being able to transfer significantly more than a single tile of liquid (full reservoir vs. single tile of liquid) to another single tile could have some interesting applications. Wasn't aware of it before this thread... Time to do some theorycrafting. :D

I think part of the reason for the weirdness is the effect of mass on thermal capacity. You have essentially 5000kg of petroleum in one tile (as far as the heat is concerned), and there's only one place for all the heat to go. In the past I've used plain sandstone tiles for my hot/cold tanks, but insulated those tiles with a vacuum that surrounds both the tanks and their "platforms". The tiles eventually heat up or cool down to equilibrium with the liquid, and if you use something with a very low specific heat it won't change the temperature of the contents by a whole lot. 

Archived