If you have performance issues in Hamlet, your input could help

• Developer

Hi,

As people have noted, Hamlet is can suffer performance problems. 

Part of this would be side effects of early access, part of this because Hamlet is more demanding on a system than the previous DLC,

In order to get a good insight on what exactly causes specific performance issues I could use your help - if you are experiencing bad performance, it would be great if you could upload a performance profile.

The easiest way would be as follows.

1. If you're in a world with bad performance open the debug console by pressing '~'
  2. Type
    GetProfile()
    ...followed by enter
  3. Wait a few seconds, the output should say 'Profiler Stopped' indicating that a profile was saved.
  4. Save the game and return to the main menu
  5. Go to the 'Options' menu and once there click 'Report Bug'
  6. In the description please mention that it's a performance report, and preferably what save slot.
  7. Press 'Submit' and it should send us your save along with the profile data

(Since the game only keeps track of the latest profile, please don't try to send multiple profile reports in one bug submission. If you for some reason wanted to send multiple performance reports - for different levels or if you believe a particular situation needs attention, you'd have to capture a new a performance profile for that one, after you send the previous one, and submit a separate bug report for the new one)

Thanks, your assistance is greatly appreciated!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

I sent a performance report, just gonna add this here.

When I'm near a lot of tall grass, my FPS goes down to ~40. Otherwise, 60 most of the time but there are random drops also and lag when saving. Probably not as bad as some people are having.

My PC i5 6500 @  3.20GHz, 32GB RAM, GTX 1080. My friend says he gets 60 FPS the whole time with a slightly worse PC.

• Like 1

• Developer
1 minute ago, Mikon said:

Posted mine in bug section

Thanks for the profile, however if you do it through the bug reporter as outlined above I can also see if there's specific setups in your savefile that negatively impact performance.

• Thanks 1

Just now, bizziboi said:

Thanks for the profile, however if you do it through the bug reporter as outlined above I can also see if there's specific setups in your savefile that negatively impact performance.

well then ill do that as well. On my rig (with gtx1060)its smooth 60fps (only near bunch of tall grass it drop to 50). On my laptop only in sw and rog i have smooth 60fps. In Hamlet it barely get to 50 fps. (my laptop has gt555m)

• Thanks 1

Sent, followed the instructions to the letter. Performance drops aren't as dramatic as I remember, but Don't Starve is the sort of game where a lot can happen in a fraction of a second. 

I still think in my case it's from having a multicore processor that just flat isn't being used as it's needed for Hamlet. Slowdowns shouldn't be happening if the game is only using 20-25% of my computer's total processing power. I suspect it wasn't a problem before because DS used to be a smaller game and even just that 20-25% was probably enough to keep a consistently high framerate. But now, yeah, Hamlet has forced the issue of finding some way to multithread this game in my case.

(if anyone can help me force the game to multithread somehow, like with a trustworthy third party program or something, that'd be amazing. Though it's probably revealing of my ignorance of actual computer science that I'd hope for such a thing.)

• Thanks 1

• Developer

4 minutes ago, Midnight Tea said:

(if anyone can help me force the game to multithread somehow, like with a trustworthy third party program or something, that'd be amazing. Though it's probably revealing of my ignorance of actual computer science that I'd hope for such a thing.)

Sadly multithreading doesn't work that way. Don't Starve is not multithreaded and apart from very specific parts (rendering for example) would be very hard to multithread, and based on current profiles most systems won't benefit much from threading the rendering off. I will have to investigate what the problems are, and what possible solutions are.

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, bizziboi said:

Hi,

As people have noted, Hamlet is can suffer performance problems. 

Part of this would be side effects of early access, part of this because Hamlet is more demanding on a system than the previous DLC,

In order to get a good insight on what exactly causes specific performance issues I could use your help - if you are experiencing bad performance, it would be great if you could upload a performance profile.

The easiest way would be as follows.

1. If you're in a world with bad performance open the debug console by pressing '~'
  2. Type
    GetProfile()
    ...followed by enter
  3. Wait a few seconds, the output should say 'Profiler Stopped' indicating that a profile was saved.
  4. Save the game and return to the main menu
  5. Go to the 'Options' menu and once there click 'Report Bug'
  6. In the description please mention that it's a performance report, and preferably what save slot.
  7. Press 'Submit' and it should send us your save along with the profile data

(Since the game only keeps track of the latest profile, please don't try to send multiple profile reports in one bug submission. If you for some reason wanted to send multiple performance reports - for different levels or if you believe a particular situation needs attention, you'd have to capture a new a performance profile for that one, after you send the previous one, and submit a separate bug report for the new one)

Thanks, your assistance is greatly appreciated!

I didn't send my log yet, but surely one of the reasons is the Tall Grass, there are many of them in a little space. When I get near them is -20 fps

• Developer
2 minutes ago, FuriousBr said:

I didn't send my log yet, but surely one of the reasons is the Tall Grass, there are many of them in a little space. When I get near them is -20 fps

Quite possibly, but if people send me a profile I can see how it exactly plays out behind the scenes, and potentially what part causes the slow down, because there's multiple interactions going on at that point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've sent a bug report.

I was experiencing really heavy stutters/fps dips (down into high 30s) in certain caves on my world. Stuttering and small fps drops also occur out in the world, however not nearly as bad as it was inside of the caves. The worst ruin (performance wise) was the one I've found in the Poisonous Gas biome on the first island. Had some really bad performance there.

GTX 1070

I5-4690k (OC'd to 4.5ghz)

16GB DDR3

Hope the bug report helps!

P.S: I did forget to mention that I did have two mods enabled (Combined Status and Display Food Values.)

Hope that doesn't impact the bug report too much.

Edited by Roosev

3 hours ago, Ethan.M.M said:

i get my lag when i enter the rain forest with the flytraps and the sheer amount of jungle shrubs and also when it is humid at night and i am using the pith hat. hope that helps

it wont help, sending profile.json will help.

• Thanks 1

• Developer
3 hours ago, Ethan.M.M said:

i get my lag when i enter the rain forest with the flytraps and the sheer amount of jungle shrubs and also when it is humid at night and i am using the pith hat. hope that helps

Hi,

If you could submit a bug report as outlined in the top post of this thread it'll give me much more info to work with and combat the issue.

• Thanks 1

Sent one in. Generally whatever file I start Has some nice chug wherever there's thick jungle with lots happening or grass. I had a world with jungle right next to grass, which was quite an amusing slideshow during big fights. :D I dunno, maybe I'm just running it on a potato and this is to be expected.

Thanks for the free copy though, majorly cool of you guys.

• Thanks 1

I just send mine, it's a recent world in the first day but it summarizes the issues i have with the game since beta, poor performance, low fps, etc. hope it helps, also yeah the tall grass and the vines and shadows close to the jungle make it immensely worse, i have no problems running regular DS, RoG and SW (only getting low performance with big fires in forest or rain and hail during hurricane season), and also no problems running DST servers or events like the gorge or the forge. 

i might have an idea of what is causing lag issues
when i went to the other island at day 40+
i found over 60 poop on the ground also as days go on the lag becomes worse
everytime my games auto-saves i just pray for it not to crash i would say i replayed the days around 20 times
it is really annoying.
my PC has no problem Running Games with High Graphics but really struggles with Hamlet Early-access.

I'm not sure if this is something that happens for everyone, but every time when the day saves, my screen really stutters or even sometimes freezes for a whole second/ It does stutter a little bit in Don't Starve Shipwrecked, but never actually pauses for a long time or freezes the screen for a full one or two seconds.