Why not, forestry?

Hello guys! (•ω•)/

I found out we have been lacking one more type of plants in this game.

Trees. I mean the tall one.

Why there’s no trees? I can’t understand!

So today I am going to introduce my own forestry ideas. Right here.

Madbro’s forestry ideas

1. Forestry tile

A 2×2 building, which the base as the tiles, is use for growing large plants (including trees). Requires liquid pipe connection.

2. Trees I’ll introduce today

The very first tree I am talking about today will be the extra-large mealwood - mealtree. I hope its productivity worthes for making some lice-burgers?

The second one will be the very ordinery one, you can chop it down for logs (I’ll talk about the uses of logs later). That is the crown tree which the leaves formed a crown pattern on its top. Highly reproductive (50% base seed chance). Its truck is very sturdy.

On the other hand I wondered whether refreshing mints are possible in the game. So here is my third one : mint tree. Nice for chews.

3. Uses of logs

You might wonder how we can use the logs, as a major product in forestry.

My idea is a decorative tile out of planks but it’s quite flammable.

Or making other furnitures?

And why not make charcoal...

Any improvements or further ideas?

Comment please! (•ω•)

(actually I wondered why plants don’t absorb CO2 in photosynthesis)

By the way, anybody wants Liceburgers added into the game as new food?

+1

I really miss wood. It would be such a great construction material for building bridges, for the classic user idea of the dupes constructing temporary scaffolding, to be able to build bridges and for the idea of the dupes aging, where the wheelchairs for the elderly could also be made out of bio degradable wood...Instead of only plastic and steel.

Having growing trees or tree tiles would make the colony feel much more lively, at least for me. 

@Madbro i like your idea and that's a very cute drawing you have there.

From my perspective ONI world map wasn't designed for trees. The world map to me is an underground planet.

Even on the surface of the map is moon-like rocks formation.

But who knows the game developers might give your idea a go and I might see your trees in future updates.

Yes, planting trees is an important part of the game RimWorld, since wood is an important building material. For the same reasons, it would also be important in ONI.

I would even go so far as to say that trees should be more important in ONI than in RimWorld, because trees also have the ability to turn CO2 into O2 (which is unimportant in RimWorld, but important in ONI).

Related thread:
Plants should be made to absorb CO2 and give out O2

So trees. Well the main problem is that we are underground and tress seem to like light. We can do something like the Don`t Starve`s underground mushroom trees. I actually like the first design in your picture. It could be a tree/structure spawning naturally in the starting biome or one of the nearby ones.

I think we don`t need it to be another food source. I`d prefer it to be source of construction materials. Wood could be used as an early insulator. I imagine the tree could be just cut down or dupes could take care of it (remove extra branches, deliver fertilizer) so that the tree produces a small amount of wood regularly and gains a decor bonus. If left unattended it would become "overgrown" and lose it. I think it would be best to make it unmovable. It would drop a seed if cut down and have a chance of a seed when a dupe takes care of it. The seed shouldn`t be plantable in a normal farm tile (beacause of the size) but could be planted into normal ground and take like 30-40 cycles to fully grow (or maybe could be planted as normal but never grows to full size then).

6 hours ago, Tekky said:

In ONI, fire would actually be more dangerous than in RimWorld, because fire consumes O2.

It would consume your fps as well.

While i`m not against the idea i think it could be too much to implement at once. All the gasses that could randomly combust would be super hard to contain. Maybe in a future DLC.

I don't really feel like we need more low-end building materials.  Alternate uses for trees could be rubber production, fuel for the kiln, or fuel for a wood stove as an alternative to electric grills or space heaters.  There is a tree in the game's files, but I don't know if it will ever see the light of day.

5b352d88a1ff1_PalmeraTree.png.7bd5e6ce5d

"A large, chlorine-dwelling plant that can be domestically grown with Planter Boxes. Palmeras grow inedible buds that emit toxic hydrogen gas."

3 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

It would consume your fps as well.

Unless large portions of the map are on fire at once, it should not be a problem for FPS. Simulating a fire with 20 tiles burning at once should not make a noticable change to FPS, assuming the game is optimized properly.

The game RimWorld also seems to be able to handle large fires pretty well.

1 hour ago, Tekky said:

The game RimWorld also seems to be able to handle large fires pretty well.

I don`t know how much rimworld simulates but i`d imagine they aren`t simulating temperature changes and gas movement. 20 tiles on fire probably won`t lag the game but i imagine a large SPOM setup getting ignited and hydrogen instantly consuming oxygen with really high temperaures following might be a bit of a lag spike.

Not taking care of trees could make them grow crushing through the above tiles, it could even grow with some random diagonal branches in to width. This would give the colony a true organic feeling... Make it also look really nice with waterfalls in the level.

There was a cutter on rails and similar requests in the past, this could tie up with the tree tile idea. 

Archived