Plants should be made to absorb CO2 and give out O2

I thought a bit about this idea.

Requiring it to have CO2 in the air is a bad idea. It'll just cause plant to stop growing. Maybe, we can have the plant emit O2 when it has CO2 in the air (by absorbing it). It should grow just fine in O2. The released O2 should be released at the topmost tile of the plant and CO2 should be absorbed at the bottom most tile

42 minutes ago, ArunPrasath said:

I thought a bit about this idea.

Requiring it to have CO2 in the air is a bad idea. It'll just cause plant to stop growing. Maybe, we can have the plant emit O2 when it has CO2 in the air (by absorbing it). It should grow just fine in O2. The released O2 should be released at the topmost tile of the plant and CO2 should be absorbed at the bottom most tile

Well in order to balance it out you would have to have critters that inhale O2 and exhale CO2

We actually can. Also, dupes are consuming enormous amounts of O2 and are not releasing corresponding amounts of CO2.

EDITED: They intake 100g of O2 and exhale 20g of CO2. They should be made equivalent too. But i'm afraid it'll just offset the quantity of CO2 in the game.

2 hours ago, ArunPrasath said:

We actually can. Also, dupes are consuming enormous amounts of O2 and are not releasing corresponding amounts of CO2. If i remember right, they intake 100mg of O2 and exhale 2mg of CO2 (don't remember exact values and i don't have access to my PC now, so please do correct me if i'm wrong). They should be made equivalent too. But i'm afraid it'll just offset the quantity of CO2 in the game.

They consume 100 g/s in and produce 20g/s, incidentally for normal humans... the mass conversion rate is x1,375, i.e mass increases. Duplicants would need to breath out 137,5 g/s of CO2 to be "realistic". However I actually do not recall if Oxygen is used in another chemical reaction in the body, I only know that Oxygen is also used for transport with the body but it is not ejected from the body elsewhere.

I can only imagine amino acids also using Oxygen, like they also use Carbon, while only relatively minor amounts (in comparison to what we breath) would be "given back" to nature or used to grow.

In any event, there are algae terrariums which do not need CO2 but regardless give out O2, the problem merely is that algae is used and not produced, it does not grow or is simply less than which "withers".

Needless to say making plants require and consume CO2 would just break the game, that's why Terrariums don't require it.

Archived