A Comprehensive Guide to the ROC

The following is a little guide about the ROC I put together since there isn’t much information available about it.

What is the ROC?

Spoiler

The ROC is one of the bosses in Hamlet. Currently there is no way to kill the ROC (At least that I know of.) 

How/Where does the ROC spawn?

Spoiler

The ROC will spawn naturally in any player’s world. Just like the vampire bats, it will appear from the sky. You can tell the rock is approaching by listening for the audio queues (Flapping of wings, and bird screech). A giant bird shadow will also fly back and forward over the player gradually getting larger each time, this is another way to tell if the ROC is coming. The ROC will technically spawn within 10 - 24 days of the players spawn (this value is chosen randomly), however it will actually take about double that amount of time because the ROC can only spawn during the DAY

What does the ROC do?

Spoiler

Upon spawning, the ROC will try to eat the player. If it fails initially it will chase the player around the map indefinitely at a faster speed then the player can run. It’s feet will also crush anything in their path. Once the ROC eats the player, the player will be teleported to the ROC’s nest and receive a sanity drop. The nest will contain a Rock Egg and a Royal sceptor. This nest is found on a small stone island which is connected to the second island by a cave. (The second island is the island with the pig capital).

What should I do to prepare for the ROC?

Spoiler

Not much, I would recommend bringing some extra food in case it takes you a while to find the ruin that takes you back to the first island. If you are playing a character like Warbucks and you are totally reliant on the pigtowns for food then I would recommend bringing a couple of days worth of food as back up. In general, a small sanity restoring item (such as a green mushroom may also help). 

What can I do to avoid the ROC? 

Spoiler

There is no way to avoid the ROC entirely, he will always spawn no matter what do you. However you can avoid being taken to his nest. In order to do this you simply have to stand still. When you hear the ROC approaching stop and stand still. Eventually the ROC will land and almost immediately take off again. As long as you don’t move you will be fine.

What do I do with the Rock Egg?

Spoiler

You are able to hatch the Rock egg to get the Ro-bin, which is the Hamlet equivalent of Chester. In order to hatch the egg, keep it by a fire during night time (and potentially dusk as well although I don’t think it makes a difference) for about 2 - 5 days. Do NOT put it by a fire near the day, overheating/ letting the egg get too cold can halt it’s growth making the hatching process take much longer. The stone egg will disappear when it hatches and you should find the Ro-bin stone at the ground (if you don’t then check your map, you should see a Chester icon, that’s where the stone is). The Ro-bin has 9 slots like a Chester.

What do I do with the Royal Sceptor?

Spoiler

You can give it to the Queen in the second pig city to receive a key which can be used to unlock one of the two cases in the art gallery room (the case you open is your choice, this room is found to the left of the queen, simply go through the door).

I hope this helped some of you learn more about the ROC and all of its content! 

If there is anything about the ROC I should add/forgot to add, or if any of the information about it is wrong please  let me know and I’ll add/change this guide accordingly. 

The cave cleft the Roc’s island connected to in my game was the first pig island, not the one with the palace. It was, however, an entrance that I had not yet revealed on the map. Maybe the game prioritizes those? 

You also omitted a key fact: the small cave network accessed via the Roc’s island has one chamber with lightbulb plants growing in it. Once you’ve found your way back to home base, you can return to that cave cleft for lightbulbs, so you don’t have to rely on glowflies or fireflies to refill your lantern. I’m guessing that’s why glowfly spawning slows to a stop after the first season.

The Roc will also come back, even after you’ve already been to its island once. I’m not sure if the second time it abducts you is exactly the same as the first as I was too busy to experiment when it happened to me.

7 hours ago, Zeklo said:

It doesn't seem to land in the Hamlet. It was just going back and forth endlessly while I was in the city. Unsure if it was bugged.

I’ve had it land right in my base AND do what you describe: back and forth endlessly until I went to some wild turf.

Is it only me who cant go out from cave?

Roc brought me to nest and I tried to go out from cave. but when I enter the cave entrance named "Missing name" which can be mined,

game crash or become black(cant do anything, see nothing, cant escape with blackroom console)

dd.thumb.png.396dc0db65626b7624d5d68194e3ff24.png

3 hours ago, Altari said:

Is it only me who cant go out from cave?

Roc brought me to nest and I tried to go out from cave. but when I enter the cave entrance named "Missing name" which can be mined,

game crash or become black(cant do anything, see nothing, cant escape with blackroom console)

dd.thumb.png.396dc0db65626b7624d5d68194e3ff24.png

You're not alone. A few others are experiencing this and thankfully, a fix will be applied during the next scheduled patch. Hopefully, we can retain our save files after that. 

• Developer
5 minutes ago, Thieverpedia said:

You're not alone. A few others are experiencing this and thankfully, a fix will be applied during the next scheduled patch. Hopefully, we can retain our save files after that. 

Sorry, but no - this issue has not been fixed yet - although it looks similar to another one that has been.

If you have this issue, please either attach your log file, or use the "Report Bug' function as it'll send us your savefile and the logs, which help in analyzing the issue.

21 minutes ago, bizziboi said:

Sorry, but no - this issue has not been fixed yet - although it looks similar to another one that has been.

If you have this issue, please either attach your log file, or use the "Report Bug' function as it'll send us your savefile and the logs, which help in analyzing the issue.

Edit: Different issue, never mind.

• Developer
11 minutes ago, Thieverpedia said:

Weird. Was scrolling through the bug forum and found this error message completely identical to mine, and you yourself changed the report from Pending to Fixed. 

Unless my eyes are deceiving me this issue is in the file 'interiorspawner.lua', whereas the issue I marked as fixed is in 'inventoryitem.lua'.

As I said, they look similar, but they are different issues.
That one was fixed, this one isn't (although, I could totally have accidentally flagged it myself as well, because they do look so similar)

The Day the Roc Came to Stay

At the end of my third lush season, all was quiet in the Hamlet, but I entered my shack to find an uninvited and unexpected guest. Flapping sounds led to a familiar shadow:

5beab1f66ec86_ScreenShot2018-11-12at5_51_35PM.thumb.png.e13e97b68f295948f3e7776494480e50.png

If I'd known she was coming, I'd have cleaned up the place a bit, but she turned out to be a terrible houseguest. screaming and flapping all night long. Meanwhile, the streets of Hamlet remained tranquil. I had to spend the night outside to get some peace.5beab28a86f9d_ScreenShot2018-11-12at5_45_47PM.thumb.png.6420923cc34eacc11a1a2eb2065063bb.png

Her legs briefly appeared at the edges of the screen, and the shadow of her foot sometimes seemed to be descending, but finally I had to restart and leave an enter the house a few times. This, plus the season change, finally got rid of her. What a relief!

On 11/12/2018 at 4:32 AM, Zeklo said:

It doesn't seem to land in the Hamlet. It was just going back and forth endlessly while I was in the city. Unsure if it was bugged.

The ROC looks for an open space to spawn, because of all the houses in Hamlet it won’t spawn there and instead will simply continue to fly over it repeatedly. However, it can spawn in the biome the town is in, you simply have to go to a open area.

I finally let the Roc take me after reading this and the caves took me to the third island where the fountain is. I wish it took me to the second island; that's where I dropped my backpack! Must be random or based on where you haven't been yet.

3 hours ago, Lysh said:

I finally let the Roc take me after reading this and the caves took me to the third island where the fountain is. I wish it took me to the second island; that's where I dropped my backpack! Must be random or based on where you haven't been yet.

How odd, recently the cave has taken me to the first island instead of the second, I guess it’s just random.

23 minutes ago, SenhorLevi00 said:

The cave take me to the first island... Am I doing something wrong?

It's random (or based on which bat caves you haven't been, unsure). The second island and third islands can be accessed via ruins in case you were hoping to do that.

it always took me to first island
i think it should since that's where u came from,
if u go back to the second island then u have to go in the Jungle find ruins and then make your way back to the first island  + making your way out of jungle

Archived