You want a "Hardcore" mode ?

Its funny that a game like ONI made me get the very last out of my oni cpu, board and ram.

You guys want to have a hardcore mode, a checkbox at world generation called "Hardcore?".

> 1 overwriting autosave, no manual game saving

> 1 dupe dies = Game Over

I just saw the Blizzard stuff with Diablo on mobile, haha ``

46 minutes ago, Madbro said:

Oh. My. God.

One death means everything?

I never played Diablo2 in hardcore, but I have a friend who did back then. He played something like 100 hours leveling up a barbarian. That was the times with Blizzards Battlenet had lots of disconnects due to servers collapsing. Wish I was there when he died in the game haha !

Playing ONI in such a mode, well...I guess some players would start drinking caffeine coffee again and start smoking :D

Hey, thats a good point with having more water & oxygen per dupe. I didnt think of that. I never had rockets yet, haha. Thats funny ! Leaving the map with the only dupe hahahahahaha ! Its like...

image.png.60ec6be1606fb93b503435bb4f31b696.pngimage.thumb.png.0386d84c52153faf6e265e3f7df124a4.png

Wiillllsoon, Wiiiiiiiiilsooooooooon !

Ehh, one accidental death doesn’t mean a player is mismanaging and having their entire colony fail. Even for a hardcore mode. Rather, I’d choose that the Printer is active for 100 cycles, printing like normally, but after that- it shuts down. Forever. The duplicants you decided to spawn is now the only ones you will have for the rest of the game.

Some people already play like this, if they lose a duplicant they start a new map.

I kind of play like that, but ultimately there are stupid things that happen that you cannot predict. That’s when I reload to the last autosave, or Alt+Q an incapacitated duplicant from the far wilderness since they decided to snuggle hot mafic rock and scald themselves to death.

I plan to play a version of the game: no reloads and no pausing, probably on high difficulty. It’s easy enough to just play your own personal style, we don’t need a separate mode added to the game.

1 hour ago, yoakenashi said:

probably on high difficulty

You should try a round with Aquanticworld + Water grows. And after it you should try a round with Aquanticworld + Water + Ice  World and ice world extra mods and see if its hard enough for you :D It certainly does satisfy my sense for punishment :D I highly recommend to not use high stress and low immunity... Well and if you need more punishment try to survive and build a base at all in my steaming death mod if anyone wants it i can still dig it out somewhere :D

18 hours ago, Rainbowdesign said:

You should try a round with Aquanticworld + Water grows. And after it you should try a round with Aquanticworld + Water + Ice  World and ice world extra mods

Once i modify world generation scripts so it generate frozen world, average temperature of map -105C, some blocks on surface was -197C, and thermal gradient from top map almost -200C to bottom map -100C, no lava, water in form of ice, solid chlorine, solid co2. solid crude oil. at the top of map liquid oxygen can be found... Very challenging at the beginning, start biome get frozen in first 30 cycles or less, one of most important researches is liquid tepidizer device - the only thing(if not using water sieve constant 40C output temperature exploit) which can keep your base warm so plants can grow, and insulation tile research.

I feel that in a game like this, you can implement hardmode yourself extremely easily with your own rules.  Don't load older saves and if a dupe dies, then you end the colony and start a new one.  I do half of this, end a colony on one dupe death.

Personally, I don't like modes that arbitrarily end the game when you fail and don't let you go back.  If my cat jumps on my keyboard while I am AFK and a dupe dies because I had him trapped in a room for some reason, I lose and can never play again.  I would find that intolerable. 

I also can't stand a lack of manual saving.  I feel like I am trapped in the game until I notice an automatic save, by which point I may have forgotten I want to get off or simply not noticed the automatic save and keep playing, then realize "I just did a lot of work that won't be saved and I will have to wait for the next save or redo everything."  I see no reason why you couldn't save whenever you wanted to, as long as it overrides the older save.

Essentially, if this were implemented, I would never play it.  It doesn't mean it's a bad idea, just that I wouldn't play with it.  However, I do have a related idea that I would like.

What I would like in Diablo II is all characters simply say when they first died, or how many times they have died.  If you can win without any deaths, you get a Hardcore achievement.  So you can keep playing, but if your goal is the hardcore achievement, then you would have to start over if you died.  It is completely identical except you don't lose anything if you die unless you are going for the achievement.

You could implement something like this in ONI, where the game detects if you loaded an older save or when a dupe dies and you can't get certain achievements.  For example, there could be an achievement "Hardcore Rockets," where you launch a rocket without loading or death.

5 hours ago, D.L.S. said:

Once i modify world generation scripts so it generate frozen world, average temperature of map -105C, some blocks on surface was -197C, and thermal gradient from top map almost -200C to bottom map -100C, no lava, water in form of ice, solid chlorine, solid co2. solid crude oil. at the top of map liquid oxygen can be found... Very challenging at the beginning, start biome get frozen in first 30 cycles or less, one of most important researches is liquid tepidizer device - the only thing(if not using water sieve constant 40C output temperature exploit) which can keep your base warm so plants can grow, and insulation tile research.

indeed thats similar to what iceworld does only difference is you dont start on an ice world its cooling down over time (its a script) it essentially cools water and ice till it reaches absolute zero maybe around turn 100. Maybe i will work on the scripts and stop it a bit higher. The challenge depends also on how much water you have on the world.

Archived