What if Waverly were released these/next Hallowed Nights?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How would you respond?

• NEW CHARACTER HYPE!! (Excited)
    • Oh, neat. (Interested, but mostly indifferent.)
    • She doesn't fit with the others... (Skeptical)
    • Not for me.

This is Waverly.

Waverly_Portrait.png.adc13b7ab173450c651e247828bf6924.png

And for those of you who don't know Waverly, she is a character that had files for Don't Starve but never made it into the game. She resembles an old witch with long strands for hair, similar to Wes. 

She's a character that I couldn't stop sketching before classes and in my free time. I personally see a ton of potential for a witch styled character in Don't Starve Together, possibly being able to brew beneficial elixirs using mushrooms and other ingredients for the survivors to use to their benefit. I've had my eyes on her ever since they added Mushroom planters to DST. 

What are your thoughts on Waverly?

image.png.92c951db6b0fa4809164c2b7d62c5a9f.png

I always thought mushroom based potions would have been a great idea for her. When it comes to her personality, I think it would be funny if she was a kind, but senile witch. Writing for a character like that sounds like so much fun. It could also work as a gameplay element by having her sometimes ignore sanity effects, both positive and negative.

It's a real shame that she was never an implemented character. From her theme alone, it seems like she had a lot of potential to be a fun one too.

16 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I always thought mushroom based potions would have been a great idea for her. When it comes to her personality, I think it would be funny if she was a kind, but senile witch. Writing for a character like that sounds like so much fun. It could also work as a gameplay element by having her sometimes ignore sanity effects, both positive and negative.

It's a real shame that she was never an implemented character. From her theme alone, it seems like she had a lot of potential to be a fun one too.

I agree completely! That's exactly the kind of personality I envisioned for her! 

As for her gameplay, she could totally be a team player that would benefit greatly from the mushroom planters and magic to create elixirs or potions and whatnot for the other survivors. She would make for a perfect way to use old ingredients in a new way! (Maybe she could start out with a cauldron recipe?)

There could be brews that temporarily increase your max HP (blue mushrooms?), restore or lower sanity (raw/cooked green mushrooms?), and possibly a harmful mixture to increase the damage of spears! (red mushrooms?)

I imagine she wouldn't have lots of health or sanity, because she'd be able to manipulate them with her elixirs. I think she'd work best as a support survivor, like Wickerbottom. Just imagine the two working together, Wickerbottom growing crops for everyone, and ingredients for Waverly to use for her cauldron!

I wish I still had access to the old .txt file I made with my ideas for her . The resemblance of your ideas and mine is uncanny. The lower base stats, and stat manipulation with potions was another idea I personally had for her. Honestly though, those two ideas was pretty much all I had anyway.

I don't know? She could fit, but Wickerbottom is already a witch (those books for sure aren't regular books, and Wicker might even be the final product of what Waverly was envisioned to be), and then you also have another wizard in Maxwell. In a way, her niche personality is "already taken" by a male and a female character, another magical character might be stretching it too much?

Not really, there is plenty of space for a character that could use magic magic. You could imagine a character that will have the same perk with magic than wickerbottom with science, or stuff like this, for example. I'm sure it's possible to find a space for something fun.

I really thought Hamlet was gonna present the 'scrapped supernatural' characters (Waverly, Wortox, Wilton) but I was quite surprised the theme was quite different. Propably Klei has some thoughts for a new DLC for DS (or DST, unlikely) with a theme of magic. If I would put Waverly in such a world, this world would resemble something with mythology elements from the Norse, Eqyptian and Greek. I don't mind an old hag for a DLC but for DST...she would be suffer from the Winona-Lore syndrom - appearing from nowhere and saying "Ta-daa, wassup"- without instruction movie, of course ;-(.

4 hours ago, pedregales said:

I don't know? She could fit, but Wickerbottom is already a witch (those books for sure aren't regular books, and Wicker might even be the final product of what Waverly was envisioned to be), and then you also have another wizard in Maxwell. In a way, her niche personality is "already taken" by a male and a female character, another magical character might be stretching it too much?

Yeah, Wicker kinda has a slight witch vibe going for her, but it's so subtle that an actual witch shouldn't cause any conflicting theming. Having a stereotypical witch seems different enough from the intellectual librarian. As long as she plays differently then Wicker and Max, I don't see any issues with having another magic character. The world of DS/T is obviously a magical one, so it's not that farfetched for someone else to be adept at using it.

Also, one could consider Wendy/Abigail and Woodie's perks to be magical as well, so we kinda have 4 magic character in the game already...

2 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Also, one could consider Wendy/Abigail and Woodie's perks to be magical as well, so we kinda have 4 magic character in the game already...

I would define Wendy's, Woodie's, Webber's (and Wes's) perks more like cursed instead of magical. Being haunted by a ghost which defends you, transforming into a Werebeaver during full Moon, being trapped inside a spider and seen as a monster from any others view, using strange pantomimes to communicate due to the lack of speaking.

It's not like Woodie could fully control his transformation, he needs to hide from the full moon and chew on logs to prevent his beaver form. Maxwell on the other hand can summon his Shadow Puppets whenever he wants to.

Waverly would be a great addition. I too was hoping for her showing up in Hamlet, though that is a distinct possibility considering the Porkopalypse season coming up. 
Wicker's magic is related to books and written spellwork, Waverly's magic would likely function more naturally and therefore be distinct. Mushrooms are severely under-used and I'm starting to think just about everyone who imagines concepts of Waverly immediately thinks of mushroom-related magic for her. Hallowed Nights giving Waverly is unlikely but would definitely put it over the top for us. 
I think she would be someone to easily connect with Wickerbottom and Webber, both in mechanics and lore-wise. Who better to understand a spiderboy and appreciate someone dedicated to the craft? 

@TurtleKitty

Mushrooms are not really underutilized though. Only the red one is under used because its bad (and is intended as such), but even then you can use it as filler for many recipes. But green mushrooms are the best way to manage sanity (raw for insanity, cooked for sanity), and cooked blue mushrooms are great for healing.

@Sinister_Fang Wicker is not as subtle though, as she likes to in the marsh for her books xP. But yeah, if she plays differently she would be fine. Though Wendy and Woody's "abilities" look more like a curse even if they are magical. Something they can't control and makes them suffer in their own way. While Wicker and Max are on almost full control of their abilities.

1 minute ago, pedregales said:

@TurtleKitty

Mushrooms are not really underutilized though. Only the red one is under used because its bad (and is intended as such), but even then you can use it as filler for many recipes. But green mushrooms are the best way to manage sanity (raw for insanity, cooked for sanity), and cooked blue mushrooms are great for healing.

@Sinister_Fang Wicker is not as subtle though, as she likes to in the marsh for her books xP. But yeah, if she plays differently she would be fine. Though Wendy and Woody's "abilities" look more like a curse even if they are magical. Something they can't control and makes them suffer in their own way. While Wicker and Max are on almost full control of their abilities.

Considering they are magical mushrooms it makes sense to use them for more magical things. Like using red mushrooms to make a health potion, since poisons can be refined medicinally. There are other under-used or higher potential items - foliage, lightbulbs, boss drops - that could make interesting brews. They'd need to be refined and balanced, though. 

What kind of potions or perks would you idealize for Waverly? 

1 minute ago, TurtleKitty said:

Considering they are magical mushrooms it makes sense to use them for more magical things. Like using red mushrooms to make a health potion, since poisons can be refined medicinally. There are other under-used or higher potential items - foliage, lightbulbs, boss drops - that could make interesting brews. They'd need to be refined and balanced, though. 

What kind of potions or perks would you idealize for Waverly? 

I don't think they are magical though? More magical than meat and other items I mean.

As for potions, they could be as simple as: health, sanity, and hunger; but we already have a lot of ways to get that. There could also be a potions that add more damage, damage resistance, or speed to the drinker for a short amount of time. She could also weaponize them, throwing them at an enemy and cause damage or slowness, also could reduce their damage, or damage resistance. There is a lot of potential for sure as this are just the obvious choices (you could even have an shrinking and growing potion).

1 hour ago, pedregales said:

Wicker is not as subtle though, as she likes to in the marsh for her books xP.

That might have less to do with her personality and more to do with the fact that reeds only grow there.

1 hour ago, pedregales said:

Though Wendy and Woody's "abilities" look more like a curse even if they are magical. Something they can't control and makes them suffer in their own way.

I'll agree with Woodie, but Wendy does have control. She can choose when to bring out Abigail, and it has very specific trigger conditions so it's not like it'll be done accidentally.

I think the best job Waverly can get is mixing potions which allow players to get better stats for some time.

Potion Ingredients: Mushrooms, Petals, Dark Petals, Berries, Rot, Foliage, Light Bulb, Glow Berry, Spider Gland, Stinger, Frog Legs, Turtle Slime, Nightmare Fuel

Potion Effects: Healing (Jellybeans), Reduced damage taken, Increased damage dealt (Wigfrid passive), Glowing (Glow Berries), Temperature (Thermal Stone), Fire/Ice resistance, Speed (WX Overcharge), Reduced/Increased Hunger/Sanity drain, Become shocked/frozen, Fall asleep (Useful during Night or for Wickerbottom), Increased potion duration

But there are still many questons about her:

What's going to be her 2nd advantage and her disadvantage?

Will she have a unique Crockpot which brews potions instead of food? Will that Brewing cauldron be a Potion-Tier station or can she prototype her potions just like Wicker can prototype Books?

If I brew a healing potion, will it just turn into a Healing Potion which always have the same heal per second and duration or will the heal depend on the Ingredients I used for brewing that potion? Hovering over the potion should tell you the effect of the potion (Example: 30s; 0,5 hp/s; +10% attack) cause communication between players might be a problem.

About other characters: Will Wolfgang, WX-78, Wigfrid be able to drink potions?

Does Wolfgang use drugs/doping as a real strongman? I don't think he wants to ruin his body and having a damage multiplier which is higher than 2.0 is way too high.

Water is damaging WX-78, will he profit or take damage from consuming potions and is he able to acquire the potions effect? Also: He might become too fast when overcharged. Maybe he'll just recharge his overcharge if he drinks a potion.

If Wigfrid can eat Jellybeans, will she become able to drink potions aswell?

Implementing her might be not that easy.

1 hour ago, Viktor234 said:

But there are still many questions about her:

What's going to be her 2nd advantage and her disadvantage?

I could see her starting with her Witch's hat that provides some waterproofing, not as good as a rain hat, but maybe a better Straw Hat? Possibly allowing her to simply sit under a tree and get minimal wetness. She could be a good contender for Spring, like how Wilson is for Winter. (I don't know, would this be useless?)

As for disadvantages, I'll brainstorm a few ideas. (Maybe not being able to recruit followers? Like, they don't trust/understand her methods? That's would just be a minor disadvantage, though.)

Maybe some of the stronger potions would take more late game ingredients?

Another few ideas for potions:

One that accelerated the body's natural healing, allowing for slow hp regen for a certain amount of time.

And one that nullifies all damage from lightning, using a canary feather as an ingredient. (Or it could even charge WX-78 with a bootleg overcharge. Not as strong as Wickerbottom's End is Nigh, but perhaps good enough for a few minutes.)

@Viktor234 I believe she should have her own cauldron that works just like Warly's (but with durability) just to keep up the theme. As for downsides:

* She could have low sanity.

* She hates to be wet (loses extra sanity for being wet).

* Hates sunlight. She loses health overtime during daytime and has to use a hat.

@Sinister_Fang True for Wickerbottom, still interesting how she is connected to the marsh.

But Wendy does not have full control as she has to wait for Abigail to come, and Abi comes on her own volition, only decision Wendy has is to "summon" Abigail. And the summoning is more of a facade since Abigail is already there.

57 minutes ago, pedregales said:

But Wendy does not have full control as she has to wait for Abigail to come, and Abi comes on her own volition, only decision Wendy has is to "summon" Abigail. And the summoning is more of a facade since Abigail is already there.

If she truly wanted to, she could drop the flower and just never summon Abigail ever again. A curse, to me, doesn't sound like something that's so easy to walk away from, and is typically malicious in some way. But Abigail can be summoned at will, and actively tries to protect her sister. I just can't see it as a curse.

7 hours ago, pedregales said:

@Viktor234 I believe she should have her own cauldron that works just like Warly's (but with durability) just to keep up the theme. As for downsides:
* She could have low sanity.
* She hates to be wet (loses extra sanity for being wet).
* Hates sunlight. She loses health overtime during daytime and has to use a hat.

Having low sanity is Webber's ability and that con would hurt her pretty much if she would be able to read books as every other magical character.

About Sunlight: Loosing health from sunlight would mean that she might be cursed aswell, that perk would fit better on Wortox; damage from Sunlight by overheating is Woodies perk.

Rain: WX-78 takes damage from rain and sanity is only reduced when wearing wet clothes, reducing her sanity by getting wet might be a perk. She would also have a harder time without rain because mushrooms only grow during rain (except in Mushroom planters).

2nd ability suggestion: Reduced negative effects from mushrooms: 50-100% less damage/sanity drain (Boomshrooms could be included since Toadstool drops Funcap blueprints which might be useful for her)

6 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

If she truly wanted to, she could drop the flower and just never summon Abigail ever again. A curse, to me, doesn't sound like something that's so easy to walk away from, and is typically malicious in some way. But Abigail can be summoned at will, and actively tries to protect her sister. I just can't see it as a curse.

Maybe Wendy curse is that she shares 25% of her damage with Abigail? Otherwise Abigail wouldn't be able to attack mobs.

My idea for her disadvantage & 2nd ability:

* Prefers insane food, dislikes other food
Eating food which grants m sanity should remove m sanity, food which removes n sanity should grant n/2 sanity instead, she'll get better stats from eating raw green caps or Glommer's goop while becoming worse stats from eating Crockpot-Food cause she prefers mushrooms and potions (Drinking potions should reduce Sanity by 5-15). Red caps will be still unhealthy for her.

(Evil Flowers also look better than normal Flowers.)

Therewith she might still be a magical character even with only 175-150 Sanity and prefer Monster food just like Webber (in combination with blue caps).

Archived