Spider Monkey mechanics!

For something that looks pretty terrifying, spider monkeys are pretty squishy. It would be great if they had more health, but dropped more silk and glands. For some reason their nests are tied to webbed jungle trees of sorts, which doesn't really work; you have giant gorilla things residing in tiny trees? Really? Rather, what if they:

1) Ran around during dusk and night.

2) Instead of trees, they would climb and fall down from some of he giant pillars, which would be surrounded by spider webs. Some trees nearby could still be full of webs though, and if you start chopping one of them or step on their webs, one of them would come down with a thud to get you if it's during the day.

This could REALLY make them scary! And may be you could rename them to Spiderillas or something along the lines? Spider Monkey just doesn't seem so suitable for these monstrosities.

And it seems like vines are a bit of a farming mechanism, which is a bit of a pitfall, honestly, so perhaps the creatures in the dangerous jungle could regenerate health, aside from vines, which would die and respawn elsewhere? Or perhaps have them not spawn so much inside of an area with other creatures in there.

7 hours ago, DarkKingBoo said:

There is an unused splumonkey assets of spider monkeys, would be neat if they were the squishy ones and have the spider apes (what their build name is called) be akin to warriors/queens.

I second this, I like the idea of the little ones being squishy and having the apes be the guards. A queen would be nice, as now that I think of it... I haven't seen any standard spiders.

So if we could get a queen and the squishy ones in game, I'd be very happy.

3 hours ago, Angel_Octoling said:

A queen would be nice, as now that I think of it... 

A queen spider monkey would be terrifying. Considering how big the current spider monkeys (apes) are, the same size/bigger than the spider queen, a queen spider monkey would be enormous. It would be more akin to a proper giant boss than a mini-boss at that point. We're talking like King Kong.

I can just imagine them jumping down from the canopy.  I'd love to see them have some sort of interaction with the leafy stalks in some fashion. So much potential, but at the very least I hope we get a spider monkey overhaul.

19 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

For some reason their nests are tied to webbed jungle trees of sorts, which doesn't really work; you have giant gorilla things residing in tiny trees? Really?

That's the only part that bugged me in the first post. I think of it more like they mark their territory with webbing and they sleep on their webbed area, not in the trees, the trees just happen to be part of the territory they marked for themselves.

That being said, I agree with everyone that they could use some touching up, particularly for how threatening they look and their size, they should deal more damage or at least have a different attack.

• I love the idea that they might fall out of the canopy to attack, that would indeed by startling and make their appearance more interesting.
  • I do think interaction with the great leafy stalks would be cool.
  • I'm not sure I like the idea of a larger queen, to me they seem like they would be the queens or kings currently, with the idea of the unused splumonkey asset as their minions seemingly more appropriate to me.

With how they currently work, I'm not sure what would be the best way to go about it, I believe they migrate somewhat as time goes on from tree to tree, albeit slowly. I do wish there was a "spawner" for them. Maybe making one or two webbed leafy stalks that are the spawners for them if all of them die, and then they would fall out of those when you walk near them would be cool. I also think, since their arachnid legs at the moment are just decoration, maybe they could have an attack where they used all of those to stab at you at once or quickly in succession with all four (is that how many they have?) of them to deal much more damage than they can currently do. Also the punch needs to do more damage - maybe make it like 50-100 damage but slightly more kiteable so they dont just completely wreck newer players.

Spider monkeys are real life animals with a cross-breed name, which Klei seems likes to use for their creatures, so I think that aspect would be fine since it's kinda punny.

I do agree that they are easier to kill than they look atm, but since their drops aren't the greatest, the difficulty is alright for me. Plus silk is so hard to get already I wouldn't like for it to become strictly guarded by a deadly mob. I guess if the spider monkeys were buffed though, it would be better for them to have a different role from granting access to silk, though I don't really know what other than a mini-boss.

Their animation is taken from the boarillas in Forge, so they could have the same stomp attack too or would that be too much? The spider legs on their back don't do much, would be interesting to see them be used for some combat attack, like if they pick themselves up and kick you with their feet.

they looked so terrifying at the first sight, a hope of new giant monsters with special attacks, and awesome drops.
but all we got was this bearded spider-boerilla?
i really hope they remake the spider-monkeys, and i really really hope they get some kind of queen, a mini-boss of sorts (or raid boss, would be even better)

let them jump down and scare us! and then let them actually be dangerous!

Archived