What is Abyssalite good for now?

3 minutes ago, SchlauFuchs said:

Hi,

I just switched to the test branch and found that Abyssalite can't be used for things I used it for. What is it good for now?

It's used in the new "super-insulator" recipe, which the other materials required for said recipe can be found on the furthest planets. The new super-insulator has perfect insulation like abyssalite insulated tiles once did, but is far more expensive. You unlock it in the new "molecular forge" under Catalytics in the research tree.

For any purposes, including extreme temperatures, normal insulated tiles will work if made from materials like igneous rock or ceramic. Brothgar recently did a tile comparison test for all the different types of tiles, using sedimentary rock as a baseline, and they work quite well. His test didn't explore all possibilities or permutations of insulated tile usage, but it gives a fair view of the usage baselines.

6 hours ago, crypticorb said:

It's used in the new "super-insulator" recipe, which the other materials required for said recipe can be found on the furthest planets. The new super-insulator has perfect insulation like abyssalite insulated tiles once did, but is far more expensive. You unlock it in the new "molecular forge" under Catalytics in the research tree.

For any purposes, including extreme temperatures, normal insulated tiles will work if made from materials like igneous rock or ceramic. Brothgar recently did a tile comparison test for all the different types of tiles, using sedimentary rock as a baseline, and they work quite well. His test didn't explore all possibilities or permutations of insulated tile usage, but it gives a fair view of the usage baselines.

you forgot to mention that those materials, currently, are unavailable since all planets have it's special resource at 0%

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

Details. Details. My friend. Let them get their hopes up before smashing them.

Why ? with every patch the devs get my hopes up, then i go in to check, and the materials are still not in the game. 

They change the recipe of things made with those new materials, but based on what ? - no one ever made any of it, so how do they even grasp if it's even balanced or not ? I'm not trying to be mean here, but developing a game sometimes in reverse logical order seems strange to me.

2 hours ago, Saturnus said:
2 hours ago, SkunkMaster said:

you forgot to mention that those materials, currently, are unavailable since all planets have it's special resource at 0%

Details. Details. My friend.

The super-insulator is so late-late game that even the developers haven’t made it that far :D

@SchlauFuchs the other interesting dynamic that this produces is that the original biome borders are now super important to maintain as they are the only structures prior to super-insulation that prevent all heat transfer. Also, leaving your abyssalite borders makes for interesting base designs. :)

9 hours ago, psusi said:

Can't you also refine it into tungsten?

You can melt it into tungsten in theory but that`s like 3500oC. It`s pretty hard to get that high temperatures. But it wouldn`t hurt if it was doable in the smelter.

27 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

You can melt it into tungsten in theory but that`s like 3500oC. It`s pretty hard to get that high temperatures. But it wouldn`t hurt if it was doable in the smelter.

Oh, I thought it was doable in the smelter.

Archived