How I cool a steam vent at first cycles

I cool a steam vent at the beginning of the game using ice and simple automation. When the water is above 80c the pump starts pumping it out of the refrigerating area. The hydro sensor notices the water decrease and opens the door so dupes can bring some ice. Important thing is that I use the conveyor loader as a crusher for ice. It divides the ice into 20 kg pieces, it melts faster this way so the whole process of cooling could be as fast as possible. But you can use storage compactors instead of the conveyor loader as well in that setup

PS. be sure not to cool your water in the vent room. I always keep an eye to not to waste the cooling power of the cooling room to the water I don't need to cool. So the cooling room cools only steam. This way you don't need to build a huge steam killer room and spend lots of the precious ice in my set-up

Where are you getting ice in the first cycles of the game?  Your video shows cycle 233.  That's well into the mid-game point, research and dupe skills wise.  There are plenty of methods for cooling the geyser by then.  

That said.. it does appear that your method works decently well.  I'd make the geyser room and the cooling room a tile wider on each side to handle more steam and prevent over-pressure in the event that the steam doesn't condense immediately.

You know I usually try to get a mechatronics engineer ASAP cause I like all that stuff in ONI the most. I don't take a lot of dupes, the game is lagy this way, so automation and conveyors are important. I made this build I guess at cycle 60 or so. I dug the ice from the cold biome. And till that point when I get the engineer I use simple storage compactors and ice blocks. the same automation but no conveyor loader. Sometimes at the early stage I fill the cooler room above the vent with polluted water which you can find a lot in a slime biome. it's usually about 30 degree which is enough for my size of cooling room

Early in the game you can pump the water thorugh the ice biome to get some cooling. Since you mine it out anyway you might as well use some radiant pipes and melt the liquifiable part of it. It will grant you more water than digging it out and provide some nice cooling. You don`t need a lot of radiant pipes for that. Just move the radiant system when a part of the biome heats up. Just make sure the ice biome isn`t straight above your base so you won`t flood yourself.

Good automation design, but cost too much dups deliver cost (in travel time), one dup can deliver 1 ton ~2 tons worth of ice in one go, while your current setting only allow 100 kg of ice per dup deliver, which, you can improve by use auto sweeper in a room full of storage only contain ice and, your conveyer loop.

Also, like mentioned this is not the first few cycles, but by cycle 200 you should really have a complete system up that doesn't require all the stuff you currently have.

This build would not work without someone having access to refined metal, a mechatronics engineer, good moral + food, tempshift plates etc.

You can achieve the same result without using ice and without the need for most of the above as well using things such as wheezeworts or aquatuners. even builds which use no cooling except for bleeding the heat into the mass around it.

I think this actually has a great application, provided you do things slightly better. For one, I would not keep the water near the vent. I would pump it away to a more convenient position.

Second, I would drop the conveyer belt. Although packets of 20kg of ice melt faster, you just need the cooling and nothing more. Build a few compactors inside the pond instead, set a maximum mass on it with a high priority and there you go.

On 16.09.2018 at 7:18 AM, KittenIsAGeek said:

I'd make the geyser room and the cooling room a tile wider on each side to handle more steam and prevent over-pressure in the event that the steam doesn't condense immediately

Just be sure not to cool your water. I always keep an eye not to waste the cooling energy of the cooling room to the water I don't need to cool. So the cooling room cools only steam. This way you don't need to build a huge steam killer room and spend lots of the precious ice in my set-up

On 18.09.2018 at 5:18 PM, Cipupec2 said:

why the doors around your little pond bellow?

Ah they just help to collect an infinite amount of water using a little space. 

On 18.09.2018 at 12:04 PM, BlueLance said:

You can achieve the same result without using ice and without the need for most of the above as well using things such as wheezeworts or aquatuners. even builds which use no cooling except for bleeding the heat into the mass around it.

I agree. But i was trying to find the fastest way to get to handle other things in the beginning of the game

On 18.09.2018 at 4:54 PM, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

I think this actually has a great application, provided you do things slightly better. For one, I would not keep the water near the vent. I would pump it away to a more convenient position.

Second, I would drop the conveyer belt. Although packets of 20kg of ice melt faster, you just need the cooling and nothing more. Build a few compactors inside the pond instead, set a maximum mass on it with a high priority and there you go.

Right, when I don't get to use conveyer I act like you said. Anyway crushed ice cools faster, that lets more energy flow. But I agree, the cooling speed for this particular case is not so important. So the conveyor is redundant  

Note. If there is any gas in the geyser room then the heat from the steam vent itself which is a constant 99C will transfer to the temp shift plates so putting temp shift plates where they can interact with the steam vent itself is generally a bad idea. A much better option is just to extend the metal tiles down either side of the steam vent and/or make sure sure it's a vacuum so there's no heat transfer except when the vent erupts.

Archived