Liquid valve not limiting flow?

I have a liquid valve to pull off excess water from my bathroom system, but it doesn't seem to limit flow, at all, so it just draining the whole system and the only way I can get it to stop is if I cut of the exit, has anyone else had this issue?

Secondary question, I've tried using excess bathroom water for my algae oxidizers but that seems to ust produce germ-y oxygen, is there any way to eliminate bacteria from water?

Valves work properly - if you set them to 100g and there's a packet in the entrance - they let only 100g through. Now if your pipe doesn't lead to anywhere else, then the valve will let 100g each second. You need to show us what you're doing with pictures so we can help with advice. Or just study the pipe behavior - it's not that hard to do it in sandbox mode.

Algae deoxydizers use Algae and electricity, how do you feed them water?

You can heat water to a high temperature so bacteria dies - I think around 75°. Look at bacteria's info(click on the bacteria's name or the little book in the options window to open the encyclopedia) to see what their living range is.

Hard to diagnose your plumbing problem without pictures or a save file.  It could be any number of things.  Is the Valve facing the right way?  What is the flowrate set to?  Has a Dupe physically come and adjusted the Valve to that flowrate?

For the second part, I'm going to assume you meant Electrolyzers, not Algae Deoxidizers.  Deoxidizers do not use water, but rather algae.  So if you're using bathroom water, you're sending it to a Electrolyzer.  For the germs...  At the moment, there is no real reason to deal with the germs.  Food Poisoning germs are harmless when in the air -- Dupes must ingest them on food (or perhaps drink at Water Cooler?) for them to be affected.  And this also has the side effect of actively competing with airborne Slimelung germs, which are very harmful to Dupes when airborne, so you could consider it a preventative measure.

That said, it has always felt wrong to me that not only do different types of germs compete that way when in the same fluid environment, but that there is no negative impact whatsoever from maintaining a high Food Poisoning germ count.  I expect that somewhere down the road some changes will be made in that area.

3 hours ago, ProfMembrane said:

I have a liquid valve to pull off excess water from my bathroom system, but it doesn't seem to limit flow, at all, so it just draining the whole system and the only way I can get it to stop is if I cut of the exit, has anyone else had this issue?

If I am correct in what you're thinking and/or what you've done... I believe you've built your pipes wrongly.

A bridge/valve will always have priority. That means: if a pipe goes through the input of a bridge/valve, some if not all of the air/liquid will always choose to go into the bridge/valve, and only if it cannot (say, because the bridge's output pipe is backed up, or the valve's slider is set to less than maximum) will the gas/liquid continue onward.

Thus, you should build your bridge/valve to output towards where you want most of your water to go, and the bridge-less/valve-less branched pipe is where the excess should go.

3 hours ago, ProfMembrane said:

Secondary question, I've tried using excess bathroom water for my algae oxidizers but that seems to ust produce germ-y oxygen, is there any way to eliminate bacteria from water?

A) If I am correct in what you're thinking and/or what you've done... that's not an algae oxidizer. That's an electrolyzer.

And also: food poisoning (yellow germs) in the air may look quite worrisome, but it actually will do nothing to the dupes who breath it in. Just don't keep any food boxes nearby, and you're good.

But if you must for your peace of mind, germy water both polluted or clean can be treated by heating to more than 75degreeC. The germs will die quickly then. (The follow-up problem is you're left with a lot of hot water, of course)

23 minutes ago, ProfMembrane said:

I thought a valve would let me shut off the water flow?

You can set a normal valve to 0 but a dupe has to come toggle it for the setting to take effect. It's a good idea to have at least one dupe with max toggle priority. Many including me have it maxed for every dupe. 

You can use automation to toggle the more advanced shutoff valve based on a signal. If you wire it to a hydro, atmo, or thermo sensor, you can control it manually by maxing the numeric dial and switching between above and below. 

5 hours ago, ProfMembrane said:

You do not necessarily need a valve for that. In this post a good alternative was discussed:

I've set it to zero, and it keeps letting water through, so I'm a bit confused, what is the problem?  

It probably shows requested rate as 0, but it requires a dupe to set it. It`s a problem if you don`t up the priority on toggle.

Also, any ideas as to what to do with germ-filled water?

If it`s food poisoning water it`s not a problem for the terrarium. Food poisoning dies in air pretty fast and i think inhaling it doesn`t make dupes sick. If you really want to get rid of the food poisoning from the water though the best way is heating it up to 75oC. For slimelung in water you just have to wait for it to die off. A good strategy is to make sure germ poluted water doesn`t mix with non germ pwater, it`s doable if you get sinks realtively quick and then drop p water from terrariums in a different tank.

Last night I was pleased that my polluted water tank had no germs in it since it was coming from the terrariums.  Then someone dumped in some polluted water from the wash basin and now it's breeding in there like gang busters.  Oh well, it was going to get germy once I set up lavatories anyhow.

Just dump the germy water into a series of small settling tanks.  Over time the germs will die off, then you can safely use that water for cooking.

25 minutes ago, psusi said:

Oh well, it was going to get germy once I set up lavatories anyhow.

Not if you made a separate tank for lavatories. That`s what i do(usually). After i get lavatories and sinks i pump them to one tank and put a bottle emptier on a new one, where i pump the carbon skimmer output as well. It just gets annoying when somebody makes a mess and i have to scramble to make sure they deliver the bottles to the right tank.

42 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Not if you made a separate tank for lavatories. That`s what i do(usually). After i get lavatories and sinks i pump them to one tank and put a bottle emptier on a new one, where i pump the carbon skimmer output as well. It just gets annoying when somebody makes a mess and i have to scramble to make sure they deliver the bottles to the right tank.

Why bother?  You have a separate water sieve just to make clean, germ-free water to drink?  Out of the germ free polluted water you get from algae terrariums?  Why bother having the carbon skimmer in that side?  It doesn't care if the water it is using has germs.  Then you end up putting the clean water right back on the terrariums, which don't care about germs.

19 minutes ago, psusi said:

You have a separate water sieve just to make clean, germ-free water to drink? 

I don`t use germ water for the sieve. My germ water is used for plants and all sorts of cooling. Non germ water is sieved and used for bathrooms, terrariums and all the stuff that needs bottled water.

31 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

I don`t use germ water for the sieve. My germ water is used for plants and all sorts of cooling. Non germ water is sieved and used for bathrooms, terrariums and all the stuff that needs bottled water.

But the water coming out of the bathrooms is germy isn't it?  Even if the water going in wasn't.

There is no need to kill all germs in the water - even for cooking. If you store and produce all food in a environment filled with Chlorine, the food is always germs free.

What i do is to build 2 food storages, using conveyors, and, above that a kitchen where food is cooked. The entire building is hermetically closed and filled with chlorine gas. Duplicants are required to wear Atmo Suit to enter the kitchen, so they can work safety.

The way i do is this:
One food storage receive all the raw food. Converyour system send raw food to the kitchen. 

Once cooked, conveyour system delivers food to the  second food storage. The mess hall is located near this system, so, there is another conveyor connecting this food storage to a pit in the mess hall, where food are consumed. 

The pit naturally fills with CO2, conserving food forever. The only place food contamination can happen is when a duplicant "makes a mess" in the mess hall and the 'polluted water' falls into the pit.

4 hours ago, psusi said:

But the water coming out of the bathrooms is germy isn't it?  Even if the water going in wasn't.

Yes it refills my germ water tank so peppernuts won`t eat it up and i can still keep using it for cooling.

4 hours ago, fredhp said:

There is no need to kill all germs in the water - even for cooking. If you store and produce all food in a environment filled with Chlorine, the food is always germs free.

That`s another way to keep the food germ clear. I just like my setup. It feels clean but requires some management to make it work sometimes.

Your dupes are probably too busy!  For some reason you can't change the priority of a valve job (BUG?).  I have  water valve that won't get set until I have idle dupes.

16 hours ago, Kabrute said:

priorities toggle ^^, wait for dupes,

pipe directly to hydroponics tiles

Can't set priority on a valve.  Sux.

Archived