I don't think that honey (or any related recipes) needs a nerf per se. Rather, as with most resources in the game, a counter-measure for honey-overfarming would be awesome. There's gobblers for berries, tree giants for trees and so on.How about some sort of wild, huge bear? If you carry too much honey on you, or if containers (chests, beehives) within an area have a high honey concentration, there's a chance of bears showing up and either attacking you directly, or trying to raid the hives/chests containing the honey.They might be rather slow-moving and slow-attacking, but deal a considerable amount of damage, maybe even knocking the player back on hit, breaking beehives, and killing multiple bees with a single smash.

I don't think that honey (or any related recipes) needs a nerf per se. Rather, as with most resources in the game, a counter-measure for honey-overfarming would be awesome. There's gobblers for berries, tree giants for trees and so on.

How about some sort of wild, huge bear? If you carry too much honey on you, or if containers (chests, beehives) within an area have a high honey concentration, there's a chance of bears showing up and either attacking you directly, or trying to raid the hives/chests containing the honey.

They might be rather slow-moving and slow-attacking, but deal a considerable amount of damage, maybe even knocking the player back on hit, breaking beehives, and killing multiple bees with a single smash.

Just gonna put in, anything that destroys the bee boxes would be an over-nerf. I kind of like the idea of some sort of honey-craving boss, purely because bosses are fun, but bee boxes are a limited resource by how many beehives you have in the world. Trees are replantable, often in higher numbers than the original trees you cut down; Gobblers don't destroy the bush they just eat the berries. Krampus destroys chests, but the materials for chests are only limited by your trees, which as mentioned before are a replenishing resource.

Killing the bees is fine, they respawn in time. But as long as it's one honeycomb to one beehive and there's no other way to acquire them, something that actively destroys your bee boxes would just be frustrating. Maybe if every destroyed bee box dropped its honeycomb so that in time you could re-make them, but this also runs into problems if it manages to destroy all of your bee boxes (because then where do you get the bees if you already took all the hives in your area). I'd just recommend they do what Gobblers do - eat all your honey, leave the box intact.

Just gonna put in, anything that destroys the bee boxes would be an over-nerf. I kind of like the idea of some sort of honey-craving boss, purely because bosses are fun, but bee boxes are a limited resource by how many beehives you have in the world. Trees are replantable, often in higher numbers than the original trees you cut down; Gobblers don't destroy the bush they just eat the berries. Krampus destroys chests, but the materials for chests are only limited by your trees, which as mentioned before are a replenishing resource.

Killing the bees is fine, they respawn in time. But as long as it's one honeycomb to one beehive and there's no other way to acquire them, something that actively destroys your bee boxes would just be frustrating. Maybe if every destroyed bee box dropped its honeycomb so that in time you could re-make them, but this also runs into problems if it manages to destroy all of your bee boxes (because then where do you get the bees if you already took all the hives in your area). I'd just recommend they do what Gobblers do - eat all your honey, leave the box intact.

When you destroy the bee box it drops the honeycomb (at least everytime I hammered my bee boxes I got it back.). As long as the bear (or whatever) don't eat the honeycomb, just the honey, I see no problem.

But if they just eat the honey in the box without destroying it it's fine too.

That'd be totally fine if some of my honey got eaten OR if there were other uses for honey (for single use items like Honey Darts that could make a foe friendly for a short time, feeding your new pet bear so it doesn't turn on you and eat your face, a coagulating agent in construction, other?). Even with two bee boxes, I don't bother to collect it all the time because it's more than I need.

Once you've made a lot of bee boxes, yeah, you can get more honey than you ever could use and be set, but theoretically that's true for any farmable food in-game. Get enough berry bushes, or turbo farm plots, or a big enough beefalo herd, or enough pig houses, and the same idea applies. Honey's only difference is that it's usable in a few different ways

While this is true, Honey is a lot easier to obtain than your regular farmable foods. Berry bushes require manure, and since the Insanity Update, manure and Beefalo are more scarce. Turbo farm plots require manure, along with seeds and materials required to build them. Beefalo and Pigs have their Krampus guardian with them. But honey has no penalty, you can just harvest a beebox and run about a screen's length away and the bees will stop chasing you.

Don't make Honey. The rest of us who like it may continue to make it.

Problem solved.

This would solve my problem, except for the fact that it is a bit like having a cheat button that allows you to do whatever you want. It's merely temptation, I've got 10 beeboxes and if I stop using them then I would feel like I'm wasting time gathering other foods when I could be exploring or building my base. If honey was changed, then that temptation would no longer exist because the supposed "cheat button" was removed.

In my opinion they should nerf the hunger points it gives you from 13 to 3 or so.

This is what I meant about nerfing honey. Not completely removing it's hunger value, but just making it so you have to have a lot MORE beeboxes to keep yourself fueled. And also the fact that you have to spend 3 minutes eating honey to fill yourself. I'm sure people have seen games where there are 3 tiers of HP potions, each replenishing more health at once, but costing MORE for each tier, basically ripping you off in exchange for convenience.

Honey already got a nerf in the spoilage update.

Yes, but honey still spoils very, very slowly. By the time a stack of your honey rots, you would have 3 more stacks with only using about 2 beeboxes.

I also think it needs a nerf; Like having a lot of bee boxes attracts a queen bee boss?

Or something else that's sugar hungry.(cookie monster?)

Maybe a bee queen spawned when you harvested too much honeys? Really, it's still easy to harvest honeys. I have 4 beehives, and i can managed to get all the honeys without being damaged.

I'd just recommend they do what Gobblers do - eat all your honey, leave the box intact.

All of these ideas would work as a nerf. I especially like Avelena's idea :biggrin-new:

How do you make pumpkin cookies? Or taffy?

Taffy: 4 honey or 3 honey + 1 filler

Pumpkin Cookies: 2 honey, 2 pumpkins or 2 honey, 1 pumpkin, 1 filler

How do you make pumpkin cookies? Or taffy?

Its everywhere, so no spoiler.

Taffy = 4 honey OR 3 honey, 1 twig

Cookies = 2 pumpkin and 2 honey OR 1 pumpkin, 2 honey, 1 twig

Twig is the cheapest non meat filler replace it at your risk.

1 pumpkin and 3 honey makes taffy instead of cookie.

Try the search button next time ~:B

Wasp Swarm

Spawns in the same number of bee hives. Its hidden/inactive until player gets in range during day.

Moves a bit slower than the player and goes towards one hive or box or stored honey comb. Its a tough opponent and the player can try to destroy it before it reaches destination. Once it gets there the animation of a queen being taken away starts. It is your last chance to save the honey comb. If no action is taken, both the swarm and the comb are gone for good.

Requires the drawing of destroyed hive/box to be erased by the hammer effigy style.

Edit: And while I was testing pumpkin recipes [MENTION=2291]Enchanter[/MENTION] was giving the answer.

Edited by Avelarius

The amount of bees in the new maps

Posted Image

Is too damn high!

I've thought that the killer bees field was a way to make more difficult to have our own bee boxes, but there's more "free hives" than the usual. My maps before the sanity update had around 3~5 bee hives each world.

Now it's even easier to have a ton of bee boxes :/

And in this world (picture) I don't even have the full map explored. I wouldn't be surprised if I happen to find some more hives.

I don't think that honey (or any related recipes) needs a nerf per se. Rather, as with most resources in the game, a counter-measure for honey-overfarming would be awesome. There's gobblers for berries, tree giants for trees and so on.How about some sort of wild, huge bear? If you carry too much honey on you, or if containers (chests, beehives) within an area have a high honey concentration, there's a chance of bears showing up and either attacking you directly, or trying to raid the hives/chests containing the honey.They might be rather slow-moving and slow-attacking, but deal a considerable amount of damage, maybe even knocking the player back on hit, breaking beehives, and killing multiple bees with a single smash.

Yes, to this... perhaps it is a general countermeasure to a couple of options...? The bear can smash certain structures like Bee Boxes and Drying Racks and eat the food items inside. Make it foreshadowed by tracks near the camp site/items, like Koalaphant... "Something big has been sniffing here..."

Writing this post the Rain update, is anyone else struggling with dramatically slowed production Bee Boxes?I think this nerf may have been about right, but with the food health returns now also nerfed and healing is now primarily done through the Honey Poultice, I think things have gone a bit far backwards.Post update, I had a fresh Bee Box take 10 days of activity to produce the first stage of honey harvest, which promptly stopped as winter hit. The second Bee Box didn't even make it to 1 Honey in 8 days before winter.Can we tweak slightly back in favour of honey production please guys?

Do you want health fast and your honey has been nerfed into the ground?Just kill a butterfly! Their wings give around 20 health back to you!(It takes like 30 days for a bee hive to get full on honey now, so i build a bunch then try to regulate them, but by that time a new update is on its way so i prepare for the next world's honey binge)

Do you want health fast and your honey has been nerfed into the ground?Just kill a butterfly! Their wings give around 20 health back to you!(It takes like 30 days for a bee hive to get full on honey now, so i build a bunch then try to regulate them, but by that time a new update is on its way so i prepare for the next world's honey binge)

Until butterflies get nerfed when everyone starts using them that way...Besides, Butterflies were already part of the equation, in that you catch them to plant as flowers near your Bee Boxes, to shorten the amount of time it took for the Bee Box to fill up. Which is then moderated by the lightning risk, as clumps of flammable resources and structures increases the risk of large, destructive fires

OK, had a good hard try at watching honey production, and I'm wondering where the 30 day figure has come from...I spaced out a couple of bee boxes, and planted an additional 6 flowers within 5 Wilson lengths of the bee boxes, taking the count to 11 within 5 Wilsons, and about 18 within 15 Wilsons.I got a full Bee Box within 6 days.Where did 30 days come from, and what was it based on?