Automated Pen Management

Release notes say:

• Automated Pen Management: Before, your Duplicants merely kept critters. Now, they're ranching them! Pen limits, as well as automatic wrangling and transfer, lets you build the coal-producing machine of your dreams.

Has anybody figured out how that works? While I currently only have a stable with shine bugs, there do not seem to be any controls that could be set for this as far as I can see.

14 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Has anybody figured out how that works? While I currently only have a stable with shine bugs, there do not seem to be any controls that could be set for this as far as I can see.

You can enable auto-wrangling and a set maximum amount of critters at the critter drop-off inside your stable. If the population inside your stable rises above the maximum amount that you set up, your dupes will automatically move critters to a different stable if there is one available.

Not only the number of critters, you can also control type to some degree, doesn't seem to work 100% consistent, sometimes they wrangle critters not on the checked list, but other times they don't move them.

Incubators also support the system, you can put incubators anywhere and a rancher will pickup babies and deliver them to the room that has the type on the list.

The problem is eggs and non automated incubators, we could use a better egg system or an auto slaughter tame critters system.

did not work for me.  First the feeder had check marks on drekos that I could not uncheck.  I raised stone hatches and put it on auto but then all the hatches were tied up and left there and would not be released in another room set for hatches.  

7 minutes ago, chemie said:

did not work for me.  First the feeder had check marks on drekos that I could not uncheck.  I raised stone hatches and put it on auto but then all the hatches were tied up and left there and would not be released in another room set for hatches.  

That is because you don't have the other room setup correctly to receive them, the room where they get wrangled is working correctly.

1 minute ago, Miravlix said:

That is because you don't have the other room setup correctly to receive them, the room where they get wrangled is working correctly.

Doesnt work for me either. I have 15 hatches, I have 2 rooms with space for 8 critters, autowrangling and all set properly. Now 1 room has 10, the other has 5 hatches. I set the dropoff to 8 critters max but they dont get auto wrangled.

12 hours ago, Grimgaw said:

It's because drecos don't eat anything that can be stored. 

No I manually checked the right food for the hatches.

13 hours ago, Miravlix said:

Other room had a release set to accept hatches

Here's my auto stable setup:

image.thumb.png.8bab38f12b9e9056c50cf0be4d299760.png

What's happening:

In the top there is a water clock (currently set to 1200 seconds). In the middle is the egg flow regulator. The water clock sets the SR-Latch, opening the door. Dupes can place a single egg in the smart storage behind this door, which resets the Latch and closes the door. The sweeper arm will then move the delivered egg to the item dropper at the top. Eggs dropped from the item dropper can naturally hatch into critters which are free to roam in that small room. The critter dropoff there is set to accept up to 20 baby hatches but 0 adults, with auto wrangling enabled. Once the baby grows into an adult it gets auto-wrangled and taken to the adult hatch stable. Excess hatches beyond what will fit in the stable will be sent to the other dropoff where they can enjoy a swim.

This is all fully automatic and requires no player management. If you slow the clock down more excess eggs will crack in storage. If you speed it up more will hatch. So all it really controls is the ratio of raw eggs to raw meat.

The sweeper in the baby hatch area is just there to get the eggshells out from under the item dropper.

On 6/18/2018 at 12:53 AM, JonnyMonroe said:

Here's my auto stable setup:

image.thumb.png.8bab38f12b9e9056c50cf0be4d299760.png

What's happening:

In the top there is a water clock (currently set to 1200 seconds). In the middle is the egg flow regulator. The water clock sets the SR-Latch, opening the door. Dupes can place a single egg in the smart storage behind this door, which resets the Latch and closes the door. The sweeper arm will then move the delivered egg to the item dropper at the top. Eggs dropped from the item dropper can naturally hatch into critters which are free to roam in that small room. The critter dropoff there is set to accept up to 20 baby hatches but 0 adults, with auto wrangling enabled. Once the baby grows into an adult it gets auto-wrangled and taken to the adult hatch stable. Excess hatches beyond what will fit in the stable will be sent to the other dropoff where they can enjoy a swim.

This is all fully automatic and requires no player management. If you slow the clock down more excess eggs will crack in storage. If you speed it up more will hatch. So all it really controls is the ratio of raw eggs to raw meat.

The sweeper in the baby hatch area is just there to get the eggshells out from under the item dropper.

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for in my base for automating my egg factory.  Thanks !!

Archived