So, does anybody think Insanity hits mark?

I just tried to play with "Insanity" update, spent a couple of hours, and got issues. First, and most important: That "Insanity" DOES NOT just add something to the game, it freaks it out completely. New rules, new idea, new plot. Now a character is not surviving in a not-so-friendly world, but is FIGHTING HIS OWN PSYCHOSIS every night and day, full time job. Why? There you go:(a) It is naturally a lot more easy to get hungry ( and even die from starvation! ) than get insane. Apparently, that does not apply...(b) Natural things like hunting drives one to insanity. I beg pardon, but THIS is crazy. I haven't tried it with fishing yet, but I would not be surprised if fishing "drives you mad" too ... © What the "Insanity" actually does, it forces one to use a straw bedroll every night, taking away the catch of a "nightly adventure". Why should I be afraid of monsters tonight, if I actually do much better skipping the night altogether? Therefore, the "Insanity" basically increases the player downtime and limits the opportunities - for what kind of gain? I haven't seen the gain so far. Just arbitrarily introduced trouble.(d) Well, that's kinda irrelevant, but still "insane": There is no option for "legacy" map now. While the "normal" is still kinda crazy, full of illogical and unjustified things and allocations. I actually thought that Wilson IS cracking when I saw like 100 pig houses arranged into a spread city, rather than with all that "shake, ruttle and roll" visual effects ... ------------------------------------------I really don't know. What purpose does the "Insanity" serves, being implemented like that, other than to make it "more difficult"? I mean, okay, the game seemed kinda easy, when one gets to know it, but I don't believe that making it arbitrarily "f##ked up" adds fun, either. Think twice, guys, don't fall into the common pit of "lets make it all crazy and people would love it". Remember Shakespeare, rather - "Though this be madness, yet there is method in it."

Well rouge-likes are supposed to be balls-to-the-wall hard.And insanity adds that extra little difficulty the game needed;And it also makes you think more and change your priorities, all which fit the game perfectly.And hunting does not make you go insane; and since when did this game get realistic?

© What the "Insanity" actually does, it forces one to use a straw bedroll every night, taking away the catch of a "nightly adventure". Why should I be afraid of monsters tonight, if I actually do much better skipping the night altogether? Therefore, the "Insanity" basically increases the player downtime and limits the opportunities - for what kind of gain? I haven't seen the gain so far. Just arbitrarily introduced trouble.(d) Well, that's kinda irrelevant, but still "insane": There is no option for "legacy" map now. While the "normal" is still kinda crazy, full of illogical and unjustified things and allocations. I actually thought that Wilson IS cracking when I saw like 100 pig houses arranged into a spread city, rather than with all that "shake, ruttle and roll" visual effects ... ------------------------------------------I really don't know. What purpose does the "Insanity" serves, being implemented like that, other than to make it "more difficult"? I mean, okay, the game seemed kinda easy, when one gets to know it, but I don't believe that making it arbitrarily "f##ked up" adds fun, either. Think twice, guys, don't fall into the common pit of "lets make it all crazy and people would love it". Remember Shakespeare, rather - "Though this be madness, yet there is method in it."

A VERY easy way around insanity is just making a single pig your friend. If said pig sleeps by the fire near you, you don't lose sanity points. Then, you can have two solid days of sunlight sanity gain. Plus, during the day, if you have a pig as a friend, sanity points go up faster. It is easy-as-pie to avoid going insane. Considering that I like to make pigs do most of my work anyway (cutting down trees faster, killing masses of spiders faster, taking out tentacles for me, etc) its just an added benefit.

Well rouge-likes are supposed to be balls-to-the-wall hard.And insanity adds that extra little difficulty the game needed;And it also makes you think more and change your priorities, all which fit the game perfectly.And hunting does not make you go insane; and since when did this game get realistic?

Like I said, if the ONLY reason to introduce "Insanity" was to make the game "more difficult", this is a VERY ill-thought addition. So many games failed because of that intent - to make it "difficult" without adding value (or fun!)

From what I understand this is just the first part of sanity stuff added to the game. I hope Klei will solve most of the problems people talk about on the forum since the update. Sanity has insane (get it?) potential, still it is not yet tuned to perfection. Give developers some time.

A VERY easy way around insanity is just making a single pig your friend.

Oh, nice! Now I am forced to be friends with a PIG. And whats the reason for that? Nope, I don't think that vicinity of a pig-shaped human mock-up would make one more mentally stable... If I had a choice, I'd rather be befriending a DOG, or a beefalo, after all. Camping in the middle of beefalo crowd actually gives at least some comfort and protection.

A rebuttal:

A&B.) Sanity and Hunger are closely tied together in a number of ways. At the get go Sanity doesn't become an issue unless you look for trouble straight away. If you're going and murdering every spider den and having epic battles with tentacles immediately you may want to rethink your strategy. It would seem that Don't Starve is not built around this concept. Hunting Beefalo and Rabbits and birds doesn't have an impact on sanity. The key point here is: Make sure you're ready before you do crazy things. What is crazy? Murdering monsters in some crazy land before you even have enough food to survive a few days.

C.) The insanity update does not force you to do anything. You make your own decisions in the game. This ties in to A&B as well. If you choose to go out murdering monsters immediately and jumping in wormholes, you're going to go to crazy town. If you choose to pick up flowers to max out sanity all the time, you're going to run out of flowers. If you choose to make a bedroll every night, that is your choice. Sanity can be managed a number of ways aside from sleeping through the night. I have worked through many nights without wearing dapper gear just fine. The major clue here is you don't have to have sanity maxed all the time once you are comfortable with what could possibly happen.

D.) It's been mentioned numerous times that the old map style generation was going bye bye.

well, you are alone on an island trying to survived with stuff trying to kill you.....adding sanity meter is just a logical idea.....the sanity meter doesn't make the game harder, just more challenging to manage and plan ur day accordingly and use the time wisely.....if u make a top hat, u won't even have sanity problem anymore =p.....surprisingly, ppl haven't been complaining that this patch are making the game harder.

One more thought occurred to me. Developers had removed corpses, the dead bodies of animals and stuff from the game. Probably, for the reason of getting a certain "rate", which recommends the game for children. Now, what do you guys think would trouble the teenage kid more - the bodies of killed stuff (which she or he sees in plenty in movies and TV shows, anyways) or - that kind of world going all INSANE for basically no reason? I mean, for no reason anybody would go crazy in a real life. Now isn't that exactly something to judge it for "Mature audience only"?? Khmm...

One more thought occurred to me. Developers had removed corpses, the dead bodies of animals and stuff from the game. Probably, for the reason of getting a certain "rate", which recommends the game for children. Now, what do you guys think would trouble the teenage kid more - the bodies of killed stuff (which she or he sees in plenty in movies and TV shows, anyways) or - that kind of world going all INSANE for basically no reason? I mean, for no reason anybody would go crazy in a real life. Now isn't that exactly something to judge it for "Mature audience only"?? Khmm...

You don't and can't know for sure why they removed and reimplemented corpses. It could have been an issue with coding, or an effect on game speed and stability. It could have simply been a design choice.

You can wear Top Hat. Sanity goes up all the time when you put that fancy stuff on your head.

So being dressed like an out-of-worldly freak - instead of being practical - now makes one more "sane". Good, good. Great thinking, dev's ;)

Sanity only becomes an issue when I want it to be. Once I got the crock pot, I found managing sanity to be pretty simple. Its just another ball you need to juggle.It spices the game up. Its not some mechanic added arbitrarily to make the more difficult. It is a fully fleshed out feature, and adds to the experience. I just wish there wasn't a "sanity meter'. Klei, let all of the awesome subtle clues you added be our gauge for sanity. I think the meter kind of cheapens it.

the sanity meter doesn't make the game harder, just more challenging

Well, my point was that it just not makes the game harder - it changes the whole point of it, the idea. Not "you and the more or less hostile or friendly world" anymore. But "you and your psychosis" in a weird decorations.

It's nice to see how things works...

Before the update, every topic, every pool: Game too easy, needs to be harder.

After the update: I can't keep the sanity meter, and so...

The good side of the sanity: More challenge + The Night set.

For me only couple thing should be changed:

- The sanity cost of the worm hole: Just decrease it a little bit.

- The sanity loss when far from the fire pit: Should be the same and increase the "cost" only at the "edges"/limit of the light

- Fix the bugs (Pigs and bees)

People complain now because they don't want to change their playstyle, but in a while the sanity will be nice.

PS: maybe start with 150 sanity (but you can't restore above 100) would be nice too..

Edited by rodrigo4sb

You don't and can't know for sure

Of course, I'm just guessing. I do not know for sure. But I'd rather allow a kid play a game where a killed rabbit leaves body, rather than a game where a player character is supposed to have mental issues. That kind of stuff is just not for kids (while "survival" is perfectly fine, like a story of Robinson Crusoe etc )

I for one am having a crapload of fun with this update. Keep in mind I'm the kind of gamer who plays Minecraft on peaceful and has an average survival rate of ten days on Don't Starve. It's the atmosphere I like. Used to be I'd play for a little while and ehh, things are a little boring, same old ambient noise, nothing attacking my fire and stuff. Now if I ever get bored I can just jump through a few wormholes and bam, everything goes NUTS. It fits the game, I think.

Oh, nice! Now I am forced to be friends with a PIG. And whats the reason for that? Nope, I don't think that vicinity of a pig-shaped human mock-up would make one more mentally stable...

If I had a choice, I'd rather be befriending a DOG, or a beefalo, after all. Camping in the middle of beefalo crowd actually gives at least some comfort and protection.

HAH - you missed the point (a funny comment however!) The pigs do most of my dirty work for me. that was the point... the benefit of gaining sanity at night around a group makes it that much easier. I rarely drop below 95-90 sanity.

I for one am having a crapload of fun with this update. Keep in mind I'm the kind of gamer who plays Minecraft on peaceful and has an average survival rate of ten days on Don't Starve. It's the atmosphere I like. Used to be I'd play for a little while and ehh, things are a little boring, same old ambient noise, nothing attacking my fire and stuff. Now if I ever get bored I can just jump through a few wormholes and bam, everything goes NUTS. It fits the game, I think.

Agreed on this. I love it when the eyes appear. The first time I saw a long shadow cast across the fire ... I was like what the *%?! I think its easy to avoid insanity. As I've stated in other posts, I have to actually seek it out like you've mentioned.

Sanity only becomes an issue when I want it to be. Once I got the crock pot, I found managing sanity to be pretty simple. Its just another ball you need to juggle.It spices the game up. Its not some mechanic added arbitrarily to make the more difficult. It is a fully fleshed out feature, and adds to the experience.

Okay, I am not saying there are no workarounds. "Insanity" forces the player to do certain things first, it demands certain amount of extra resources to fight it back. But HOW does that add anything to the experience?? From what I see so far its mostly trouble, artificial difficulty, with no real connection to natural mental constitution of a human ( IRL it takes months and years of solitude to get unstable, not mere days )And, BTW, what is more comforting and relaxing to a human being than a night spend near a good, well-arranged fire? It is in our blood, so to say ;) And now the guys insist that my player character should go crazy because of that ;)