So, does anybody think Insanity hits mark?

People complain now because they don't wanna change their playstyle, but in a while the sanity will be nice.

My point is that adding arbitrary "sanity meter" which goes to nil in mere 3 days is a very stupid thing.

Otherwise, why don't they add crocodiles that fall from the sky? A volcano eruption every night. Sickness from "Tallbird flu" and bruises on feet.

Actually, why do we need pigs of beefalos for manure? Isn't that enough to eat bad food yourself? Now THAT would MAKE SENSE ;) Not the "oh I am so insane I killed the _wabbit_"

• Developer

My point is that adding arbitrary "sanity meter" which goes to nil in mere 3 days is a very stupid thing.

Hey Russian, thanks for the feedback. What is lowering your sanity to insane in 3 days? Are you getting in a lot of fights? Jumping in wormholes?

I think you're kinda missing the point? It's not supposed to be a realistic game. I mean for gosh sakes you have spiders bigger than your head and wolves that set you on fire, that would drive me insane for sure. And you gotta admit its kinda fun when the screen and sound effects go all wack.

I've had a blast since sanity and seeing it was the first time it made my wife interested in playing, (who has had no trouble dealing with it) if anything I think sanity should be a bit more harsh because after you figure it out, its pretty easy to keep in check.

Edited by GamingGorman

I love how people find this update so hard though it is really easy to avoid... I've not explored the mobs and how much sanity they drain without having any dapperness , but I do know that there is an easy way to counter it : Taffy and Daytime...Maxwell isn't that hard to avoid , play your cards right , and be fancy , and you will succeed

Edited by TylerTheDragon

Hey Russian, thanks for the feedback. What is lowering your sanity to insane in 3 days? Are you getting in a lot of fights? Jumping in wormholes?

Well, I might have exaggerated this a bit ;) In fact, I started the thread not to complain - I played many games, so what the heck - but to provoke some discussion. But actually, if my count is correct, just doing the normal start-up things - gathering stuff, collecting some meat, clearing some spider nests on the way and spending nights perfectly near the fire - it still lowers the "sanity" about 20 points every day-night cycle. So 5 days to nil, or 3 or 4 till "shadow monsters" start to hit.Believe me, I'm not a "power player" or something ;) But it is really freaky that a character goes really crazy almost as fast, if not faster, as (s)he gets hungry. And - oh, Lord save you, - if you try to make some charcoal ...

People complain now because they don't wanna change their playstyle, but in a while the sanity will be nice.

PS: maybe start with 150 sanity (but you can't restore above 100) would be nice too..

Yeah people always resist change, despite it being practically the only constant in the entire universe.

Also, I think having an initial sanity bonus would be good, it would make the first days a little easier and increase the contrast between the early and later days.

A good alternative might be to make sanity decrease faster as time goes on (To a certain extent, naturally you would eventually adapt to the environment, regardless of how crazy it is).

I love how people find this update so hard though it is really easy to avoid...

I love how people don't read ( or unable to understand what's being said? )I haven't said anything about it being "hard". I said it adds difficulty for the sake of "not being too easy", without a well-thought reason or background or a connection to a nature of a human being. Like I said, I've seen many games that basically did not do so well because developers were "adding difficulty" without adding motivation for the player or value to the gameplay.

Well, I might have exaggerated this a bit ;) In fact, I started the thread not to complain - I played many games, so what the heck - but to provoke some discussion. But actually, if my count is correct, just doing the normal start-up things - gathering stuff, collecting some meat, clearing some spider nests on the way and spending nights perfectly near the fire - it still lowers the "sanity" about 20 points every day-night cycle. So 5 days to nil, or 3 or 4 till "shadow monsters" start to hit.Believe me, I'm not a "power player" or something ;) But it is really freaky that a character goes really crazy almost as fast, if not faster, as (s)he gets hungry. And - oh, Lord save you, - if you try to make some charcoal ...

A lot of people's gripe is that it's made it a completely different game now. Not one they'd 'bought' into. Cripes, I've planned my entire day around jumping through wormholes and pushing the edges of night. Now, those are things to avoid. :frown:

Like I said, I've seen many games that basically did not do so well because developers were "adding difficulty" without adding motivation for the player or value to the gameplay.

Yes , but do remember this game is still in beta , and may add useless things that will have a use later , Remember , all beta games will add and remove things that don't fit , but sanity will have MUCH MORE to do with it in the future.And If you don't find the game 'Hard' Then I wasn't talking to you...

I don't find it "too hard". It's not a matter of being unable to survive/stay sane, it's a matter of constantly keeping both meters in check; I realize it's a new and exciting mechanic of the game that is welcomed by many, but similarly I can't help but feel a little apprehensive. In terms of "making sense", I feel that doesn't matter. And in terms of "challenge", that's totally what the player makes it. A player can play a conservative game with big walls and lots of Amulets and Meat Effigies, or they can play a wild, wandering game with only a backpack of torches. When a person "beats" a game like "Zelda", they don't complain to Nintendo that it wasn't hard enough - they just do it without collecting Heart Containers the next time. "Challenge" can be what someone makes it.I also am really enjoying the artistic side. Insanity fits this game like a glove; the theme and feel of it is extremely appropriate, so that's not the problem. So, I think what I am personally getting at is not the problem of "challenge" or "making sense", but rather the added mechanic seems a bit... shallow? Hunger was a unique time based hurdle that provided a challenge at the beginning, and with experience good be conquered, but never ceases to exist. Insanity seems like an addition of another hunger bar. It's a gauge that you need to actively seek out and fill. The time-based nature of it is probably my biggest complaint. Going through worm-holes does deserve consequences, as well as maybe killing peaceful mobs or maybe a lot of monotonous work over and over. To have it arbitrarily designed by time, though, means that the player does no particular thing, but gets punished.

I've had a blast since sanity and seeing it was the first time it made my wife interested in playing, (who has had no trouble dealing with it) if anything I think sanity should be a bit more harsh because after you figure it out, its pretty easy to keep in check.

Well, a good point. If there is to be "sanity" at all, it should have no "meter", no "more or less" kind of thing. It is actually more of "either-or" condition. And it should not be bringing just more sorts of monsters. It's gotta be affecting judgement of a character. Maybe something like an airplane with damaged control lines. Or a character would see monsters and animals where there are none, and fail to notice the real ones. Or see the uneatable items as food and vice versa. And so on.

Yes , but do remember this game is still in beta

You know, once I played the "Anarchy online" MMO game. I actually got into it early, and people were complaining all over forums. And other guys were saying like "Oh shut up, ITS BETA!!!" Then they were saying "whatever, no big game was released with no trouble", and then "a new version will fix all that, so why don't you shut up" and so on. The "Anarchy Online" game ended up with being pretty good visually, kinda playable technically, but totally meaningless on the idea side and overly complicated "in skills and numbers". And that's not the one and only example, and its not specific to multiplayer games.

• Developer

Well, I might have exaggerated this a bit In fact, I started the thread not to complain - I played many games, so what the heck - but to provoke some discussion. But actually, if my count is correct, just doing the normal start-up things - gathering stuff, collecting some meat, clearing some spider nests on the way and spending nights perfectly near the fire - it still lowers the "sanity" about 20 points every day-night cycle. So 5 days to nil, or 3 or 4 till "shadow monsters" start to hit.Believe me, I'm not a "power player" or something But it is really freaky that a character goes really crazy almost as fast, if not faster, as (s)he gets hungry. And - oh, Lord save you, - if you try to make some charcoal ...

[MENTION=8]Kevin[/MENTION] is doing some tuning today on insanity. I think we agree that in general it's too punishing for new players, and some things don't quite make sense or were left out. It's definitely going to take some time to tune -- constructive feedback is welcome!

Yeah people always resist change, despite it being practically the only constant in the entire universe.

Suppose the traffic regulations were changing every 2 weeks, would you be happy? Instead of driving your shiny pretty car and enjoying it, and mastering it, you'd be forced to learn new rules every other weekend. And the rules would be different for the even and odd days. And the guys would be shouting at you : "Remember, its only BETA!!" and "Its no fun in driving if the rules are too easy" and "If you really want to get somewhere, take the bus!"

[MENTION=8]Kevin[/MENTION] is doing some tuning today on insanity. I think we agree that in general it's too punishing for new players, and some things don't quite make sense or were left out. It's definitely going to take some time to tune -- constructive feedback is welcome!

Thanks! You know, I'm not to ruin it, but to add whatever helps. I know you guys are doing a very good job for a start-up. Luck, and TTYL

But actually, if my count is correct, just doing the normal start-up things - gathering stuff, collecting some meat, clearing some spider nests on the way and spending nights perfectly near the fire - it still lowers the "sanity" about 20 points every day-night cycle. So 5 days to nil, or 3 or 4 till "shadow monsters" start to hit.

Why you want to kill spiders so early?

After 5 days of exploring with torches only my sanity was almost full, but you can't use wormholes or fight spiders.

You can safely kill some rabbits while they are sleeping outside of their holes at night.

Suppose the traffic regulations were changing every 2 weeks, would you be happy? Instead of driving your shiny pretty car and enjoying it, and mastering it, you'd be forced to learn new rules every other weekend. And the rules would be different for the even and odd days. And the guys would be shouting at you : "Remember, its only BETA!!" and "Its no fun in driving if the rules are too easy" and "If you really want to get somewhere, take the bus!"

But... Don't Starve is just a game. It's not a means of transport on which you rely to get to work in the morning to make money and sustain your family. It is merely a fun escape and ultimately trivial use of time. It took a very long time for the rules of the road to become properly established... Don't Starve is still in it's mother's stomach by comparison.

But... Don't Starve is just a game. It's not a means of transport on which you rely to get to work in the morning to make money and sustain your family. It is merely a fun escape and ultimately trivial use of time. It took a very long time for the rules of the road to become properly established... Don't Starve is still in it's mother's stomach by comparison.

Some say that the whole life is just a game. And why not. And if the fun is not in _playing_ it, but only to escape in the end, then ... You know what I mean ;) And BTW they were planning to make a release .. when? In March? "One should not change the horses on a bridge", as a saying goes.