New food meta: infinite eggs

Water is hard to produce now, so no more bristle farms for huge colonies. However a puft can now sustain itself by sniffing a dirty puddle once in a while, while two slicksters can share a coal generator.

1 day of eating = 0.25kg of gas. Dupe produces up to ~12kg of pH2O and 1.2kg of CO2. So one dupe can "feed" up to 4 slicksters and 50 pufts.

5 days of being happy = egg. Egg > 2 dupe days worth of calories. It's all perfectly sustainable too, as the only high-temperature conversion here is cooking the eggs. Assuming critters are fed, they will only need two groomings each, then you can deconstruct the station.

The only problem is all the bugs and crashes involving the grooming station.

28 minutes ago, Luminite2 said:

Do you even need to feed them? Doesn't the groomed bonus offset the starving penalty? 

Alternatively, once all of them are happy you don't need to keep grooming them because happiness wont go down.

3 hours ago, itsYiyas said:

Alternatively, once all of them are happy you don't need to keep grooming them because happiness wont go down.

Exactly. I think you can just decide what's more important to you, dupe time or whatever they eat.

5 hours ago, Luminite2 said:

Do you even need to feed them? Doesn't the groomed bonus offset the starving penalty? 

Grooming requires getting a dupe into the enclosure and having a grooming station. This is annoying in case of pufts because they like to flee, dupes love to pick up those 0.25kg slime drops (when a dupe "claims" an item, the robo arm can't grab it) and the station has to be built on solid ground so no water to prevent slime from rotting away.

Could work for hatches though. They are well-behaved and don't crash the game as easily as pufts when groomed.

26 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

Grooming requires getting a dupe into the enclosure and having a grooming station. This is annoying in case of pufts because they like to flee, dupes love to pick up those 0.25kg slime drops (when a dupe "claims" an item, the robo arm can't grab it) and the station has to be built on solid ground so no water to prevent slime from rotting away.

Could work for hatches though. They are well-behaved and don't crash the game as easily as pufts when groomed.

Just a little warning, keeping big farms make the game sloooow...

game was runnin at 4-50 frames, till i started expanding my animal farms... now 10 fps... yay...

also, all critters have been nerfed, well i guess except shine bugs?, so you need a small army to get anything done. i have 30'ish slicksters, they struggle with a few coal generators alone.

about same with hatches, 30'ish struggle keeping just a few coal generators running.

2 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

It seems like hatches don't try to escape through temporarily opened doors anymore. Had some in a stable and have dupes running in and out and none have even tried hopping out.

Shinebugs seem to wait for their moment to break for freedom.

4 minutes ago, strawberrygirl said:

Im a little dissapointed.. I've played long enough to remember when sleet wheat was OP, then mealwood then bristle farms? (it wasnt' really OP) but whatever.. now we have to switch to eggs?

What will it be next week?

You don't have to switch to anything.  There are several viable food options available to us in the current build.

24 minutes ago, strawberrygirl said:

Im a little dissapointed.. I've played long enough to remember when sleet wheat was OP, then mealwood then bristle farms? (it wasnt' really OP) but whatever.. now we have to switch to eggs?

What will it be next week?

Well, Eggs are super easy to make, but are not the highest quality food there is. Both Stuffed Berry and Pepper bread are still better then Omlettes. That said, BBQ was always the best food, there was just no way to make BBQ in a sustainable way, until now atleast.

I just hope they make it possible to have the incubators incubate eggs like you would refine metals, or any other product, via Recipes. And that eggs become storeable!

Those two things would make a "slaughter house" Automation-able. So far it takes too much player input to make BBQ. In my opinion atleast.

1 hour ago, goboking said:

You don't have to switch to anything.  There are several viable food options available to us in the current build.

The new water geysers make me feel like I really can't make it a big thing...  With not knowing if when geysers will erupt kinda puts a damper on things.

4 hours ago, SkunkMaster said:

You can find out by analyzing the geyser.

If the parameters were reasonable, I'd agree with you.  But the dormancy period can be anything between 10 cycles and 120 cycles.  This on top of the actual quantity the Geyser produces also being random.

3 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

If the parameters were reasonable, I'd agree with you.  But the dormancy period can be anything between 10 cycles and 120 cycles.  This on top of the actual quantity the Geyser produces also being random.

Well, while you are partially right, you don't take into account that you have a multitude of geysers. The point, i think, with the geysers being this random, is that you adapt your base to the geysers you have available. 

Now while it might be frustrating to find a geyser that is useless, considering there are about 10 on each map, you are bound to find atleast 1 that is useful. And even if not, there should be enough geysers combined to get a nice base going.

7 hours ago, SkunkMaster said:

So far it takes too much player input to make BBQ. In my opinion atleast.

You can automate the slaughter part using a liquid. Hatches fall through horizontal pneumatic doors. Probably could be classed as a bug but has been that way forever.

You could remove the meat with a conveyor if you want to automate some more of the process. If the incubation cannot be queued as continuous then that's a real bummer.

image.thumb.png.8c5af98161c7fc9ec89339b0fe89216a.png

3 minutes ago, Moggles said:

You can automate the slaughter part using a liquid. Hatches fall through horizontal pneumatic doors. Probably could be classed as a bug but has that way forever.

You could remove the meat with a conveyor if you want to automate some more of the process. If the incubation cannot be queued as continuous then that's a real bummer.

image.thumb.png.8c5af98161c7fc9ec89339b0fe89216a.png

Yeah i figured i would use liquid to kill the hatches.

I had honestly not noticed that the conveyor loaders where able to take food. Just figured they would act like regular storage boxes, with added transport ofcourse.  

They can act as fridges in a sterile atmorphere. 10x the space of regular fridge, but without cooling.. interesting. Thanks for pointing it out.

Just now, Moggles said:

@SkunkMaster Oh yes they will take ingredients and edibles. As soon as possible I like to get some set up in farms to move the harvest to the cooking stations.

You seem to have experience with this, can you tell me how food acts while being transported ? - Does it interact with germs / air from it's surroundings, or how does it work ? 

I don't know too much about the interactions. Here's some things I have observed.

While on the rail the food will still lose freshness. If the rail sits in polluted oxygen for too long the food will still get the Pollution Exposure debuff so it will lose freshness faster.

If the air around has food poisoning the food will not be infected. Similarly if a section of rail somehow gets food poisoning on it, the food will not be infected on contact with the rail.  If it came from the grill it's usually hot enough to be killing germs anyway.

As far as temperature goes it will interact with the surroundings as usual depending on time remaining stationary and surrounding masses.

Also if it's something like slime it will sublimate unless the rails run behind tiles.

4 minutes ago, Moggles said:

I don't know too much about the interactions. Here's some things I have observed.

While on the rail the food will still lose freshness. If the rail sits in polluted oxygen for too long the food will still get the Pollution Exposure debuff so it will lose freshness faster.

If the air around has food poisoning the food will not be infected. Similarly if a section of rail somehow gets food poisoning on it, the food will not be infected on contact with the rail.  If it came from the grill it's usually hot enough to be killing germs anyway.

As far as temperature goes it will interact with the surroundings as usual depending on time remaining stationary and surrounding masses.

Also if it's something like slime it will sublimate unless the rails run behind tiles.

Thanks for the clarification on how it all works. Makes sense with the sublimation, but still nice to know.

I rebuild my fridges to Shipping boxes, then realized that i need unloaders also for it to work.

all working now, but it's strange to look at "200k calories", when i know i have about 1.5m... But eh, it works, and i can now store 10x as much food. Awesome how much space it saves. 

6 minutes ago, strawberrygirl said:

I've started a couple of maps since the preview patch and each map had only 4 geysers. I'm not sure where you guys are seeing these multiple guysers.

The new geysers are "bricked over" by natural tiles.  Have you been looking for them all?  The old ones are still there and plainly visible, but the new ones are obscured.  You can only see the Neutronium without digging.

7 minutes ago, strawberrygirl said:

I've started a couple of maps since the preview patch and each map had only 4 geysers. I'm not sure where you guys are seeing these multiple guysers.

4 are visible, rest you need to dig for.

26 minutes ago, Grimgaw said:

4 are visible, rest you need to dig for.

Thanks I wasn't aware. 

LOL wow I have a gold volcano on my map lol.  I looked for the strip of neutronium. Not too hard to find. I found a CO2 Volano also. I'm gonna leave that one alone.

Weird and something called a "slush geyser". It emits Polluted water. That's pretty cool.

4 hours ago, strawberrygirl said:

Thanks I wasn't aware. 

LOL wow I have a gold volcano on my map lol.  I looked for the strip of neutronium. Not too hard to find. I found a CO2 Volano also. I'm gonna leave that one alone.

Weird and something called a "slush geyser". It emits Polluted water. That's pretty cool.

Oh yeah. These new geysers are really awesome. You might even have a Magma geyser, keep looking. You need one for easy steam turbines. 

The Co2 can be used for slicksters. If it's liquid you can use it for cooling before feeding it to the slicksters.

Archived