Natural Gas Geysers

1 hour ago, ShadowBound said:

Since the Tubular Upgrade i have played on a couple of maps and I only seem to find 1 Natural Gas Geyser, I don't remember that being mentioned anywhere. So is that an intentional change, or maybe a bug, or I'm just blind af.

There where some changes in worldgen so that oil geysers spawn. (in 247460) Did you generated after that version?

I tried to make new default world and first I got only one natural geyser, second world I got again only one, with third world I got 2 NG but ths time no chlorine geyser...

28 minutes ago, GreatGameDota said:

There should always be two NG geysers per world, mind posting some screenshots?

Maybe you can check those saves, I am a bit tired and might miss something but in all 3 I tried I am missing 1 geyser...

s1.sav

s2.sav

s3.sav

So here's what it's doing. In the jungle subworld the chlorine and methane geysers are grouped into the same array. From this array a random template is picked from the entire range then checks if the POI has been already used. If the template has been used then it increments the run count then rerolls. After the run count exceeds the number of array elements it gives up. The used template is never removed from the array nor is the random range adjusted. As such it is entirely possible for one of the two geysers to never spawn if it keeps hitting the chlorine geyser.

Edit: I think I see what they were planning here. Each sub world is only ran through once so it's intentional that only one template from each array will appear in the world. Can't say I'm happy with this.

33 minutes ago, Risu said:

So here's what it's doing. In the jungle subworld the chlorine and methane geysers are grouped into the same array. From this array a random template is picked from the entire range then checks if the POI has been already used. If the template has been used then it increments the run count then rerolls. After the run count exceeds the number of array elements it gives up. The used template is never removed from the array nor is the random range adjusted. As such it is entirely possible for one of the two geysers to never spawn if it keeps hitting the chlorine geyser.

Has this bug been reported yet?

EDIT: Did this just happen with the most recent hotfix? Or has it been like that since Tubular?

3 minutes ago, GreatGameDota said:

Has this bug been reported yet?

EDIT: Did this just happen with the most recent hotfix? Or has it been like that since Tubular?

Hate to say it, but this is not a bug. POIs were nerfed. Jungle gets 2 geysers and 3 POIs. That's it.
There are 5 jungle templates that will be missing in each world, 1 geyser and 4 POIs.

Swamp will be missing just one.
Frozen will be missing one heat sink and one POI.
Oil gets both POIs, and from the 6 oil geysers that can appear, 3 of them will be selected.

Ouuu those yaml configuration files have been changed...
So igneous rock biome (jungle) has now one steam geyser and either chlorine or natural gas geyser.

I tried to change Jungle.yaml and split "geyser_b" with adding "geyser_c" and it works (I got 5 geysers) so it is configurable, but default is 4 geysers now. (+3 oil geysers)

12 hours ago, ShadowBound said:

Since the Tubular Upgrade i have played on a couple of maps and I only seem to find 1 Natural Gas Geyser, I don't remember that being mentioned anywhere. So is that an intentional change, or maybe a bug, or I'm just blind af.

this happened to me too, but before TU. my map only has 1 geyser. But u can clearly see that another nat geyser was there and was replaces by something else. There´s neutronium, nat gas and chlorine in one of the custic biomes, but not geyser.

as was mentioned, it has to do with how the game handles different pre builds.

Geysers not apperaing is a bug -templates can overwite each other. Today i found water geyser template overwriting nat gas geyser template, overwriting half of nat gas geyser template with nat gas geyser itself in the process.
Well, its a bug,in world generation, so i used debug tool to place nat gas geyser on its legal place. 

1 hour ago, Oozinator said:

Sounds really bad, because everyone will use debugmode before starting game now, to uncover "fogzones" and to check geysers..
Really bad move.

But there is not that much geyser variability, only 2 options.

And I don't know if I want 2 NG geysers or 1 NG and 1 Chlorine.

Given the choice I'd chose an extra NG geyser over chlorine geyser any day. Chlorine geysers are pretty much useless. There's plenty of chlorine in gas form and bound in bleach stone already on the map for the limited use chlorine has without needing a geyser.

2 hours ago, Oozinator said:

Sounds really bad, because everyone will use debugmode before starting game now, to uncover "fogzones" and to check geysers..
Really bad move.

I know I will.  Probably just keep regenerating until i get a favorable combination of geysers.  Or just replace them in debug mode.

19 minutes ago, bzgzd said:

But there is not that much geyser variability, only 2 options.

And I don't know if I want 2 NG geysers or 1 NG and 1 Chlorine.

Might as well just get rid of the chlorine geysers.  No one would willingly take a chlorine geyser over a natgas.

8 minutes ago, saltyteabag said:

I know I will.  Probably just keep regenerating until i get a favorable combination of geysers.  Or just replace them in debug mode.

Might as well just get rid of the chlorine geysers.  No one would willingly take a chlorine geyser over a natgas.

You can modify this text file
...\OxygenNotIncluded_Data\StreamingAssets\worldgen\subworlds\Jungle.yaml

geysers_a:
      - poi_jungle_geyser_steam
    geysers_b:
      - poi_jungle_geyser_methane
      - poi_jungle_geyser_chlorine

delete chlorine and get methane always instead of random methane/chlorine. (or make geysers_c there)

31 minutes ago, bzgzd said:

You can modify this text file
...\OxygenNotIncluded_Data\StreamingAssets\worldgen\subworlds\Jungle.yaml

geysers_a:
      - poi_jungle_geyser_steam
    geysers_b:
      - poi_jungle_geyser_methane
      - poi_jungle_geyser_chlorine

delete chlorine and get methane always instead of random methane/chlorine. (or make geysers_c there)

I want to change the number of geysers.But I really do not know how to do.Do you have any suggestion for me?

English is not my native language;please excuse typing errors.

3 hours ago, Oozinator said:

Really bad move.

I disagree. Geysers are very much overrated I feel. Slicksters and to a lesser degree Hatches are much more impactful when it comes to generating water and power.

58 minutes ago, jiaonichifanla said:

I want to change the number of geysers.But I really do not know how to do.Do you have any suggestion for me?

Sorry but I don't know how to do it. (Other than with using debug mode.)

I think only one geyser of each type can be configured in one biome by the way how it is implemented.
And something like adding jungle steam geyser into cold biome yaml file causes crash.

I agree about the chlorine geyser being pointless, you can passively use chlorine to decontaminate items which means it will never get used up. But I also never need more than 1 Nat gas geyser for my current base designs. So i am not really missing it. but I think it would be good if every play-through was different, instead of it being the same amount of geysers etc everytime.

27 minutes ago, clickrush said:

I disagree. Geysers are very much overrated I feel. Slicksters and to a lesser degree Hatches are much more impactful when it comes to generating water and power.

To produce enough crude oil to power up a petroleum generator you need 24 slicksters and 6kg/s of co2 or 222 mealwood and a hatch to go for a coal generator. Slickters/hatches are good but you won't build a big and stable base with them.

Archived