Webber  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Webber

• Webber is totally fine
    • Webber is good but he could be better
    • Webber is not that good
    • Webber is bad
    • Webber is total useless

Hi guys! It's me again, the guy who likes Webber.

The Forge's end is in near sight now and I guess we all made our own experiences with the characters and players.

I had a lot of fun, playing this event but there was always one struggle.

Webber

I really like to play him. For me it is almost relaxing to have only one job, wich is not that hard. Do dmg. Stand on the right spot. Hit the right target. Know when you have to stop dmg. If you want to be a good player then you use your molten dart special in the right time. That's all.

Sometimes, you want a bit more action and then, you play a runner or a healer or something like that but after you get all achievments and played a lot of games, you only want some smooth games and have fun (at least it's for me that way).

So now, here comes the point:

For me, it was really hard, over the period of this month, to have this fun I seeked. I almost always make my own servers, pick webber first, people join and say I should pick someone else. Thats no joke, really. And you don't know what I have to read. Sometimes I was a totally noob for picking Webber, sometimes they tryed to convince me how useless he is, sometimes they choose 3 DDs and said "ok, Webber is runner". And that wasn't on one Day.

So what's the matter? My bad luck? did you guys shared the same experience?

One last thing.

I don't think that Webber is bad. Sure, he could have get a bit more love, a special weapon or something like that (Wig got one too!).

but in the end he is a valuable character for the Forge (I mean, look at all those speed/no death runs. Almost always with Webber. Do I have to say more?).

What do you think?

Is Webber fine? Is he useless? Do you think he could get a bit more love? share your thoughts!

I feel that klei can have a habit of nerving characters. I used to love woodie in vanilla DS, and was heartbroken to see how terrible he became in DST. I am personally anti webber, thinking that both Wendy and Willow are better DPS, both having damage sponges, and willow's extra damage, but then again I mainly play wigfrid in DST, so I'm not really one to talk

8 minutes ago, landromat said:

webber is fine, you just should not pick him every time you want

You are right landromat. When I join another server I pick what is necessary for the group. That's the way everyone should to it.

But not on "my" server. When you join a server and see that there is already a Webber, another DD and a mage or something like that, do you pick just another DD and complain about Webber? 'Cause thats the point. A lot of people do this. Really a lot.

While I think Webber is not as flashy as some of the other characters, and I personally prefer to play flashy characters, I think Webber is great as a DPS option. In my opinion, all characters should feel fun to play and Webber is not more fun than any other character with darts. The auto-attack spiders are cute but forgettable in the midst of the chaos. He fine as he is though.

None of the characters are inherently useless. What's useless is improper role choice. If you have a Webber and a Wilson both at the same time, then one of them is going to be a liability since they're taking up space for another role. More than one darter is useless for the same reason why having more than two tanks is going to be a liability. Because of limited item drops, it's very clear why you wouldn't want three staff-users or two healers.

You can get away with ridiculous character choices in Forge and still win if everybody is skilled enough. Usually though, the preferred roles for the 6 players are these:

1. Healer - Anybody that can use staffs. (Usually Wicker. Possibly Wicker, Winona, Wilson, Maxwell, Willow, Wendy, or Wes)
  2. Tank - Anybody that can use melee. (Usually WX or Wolfgang. Possibly WX, Wolfgang, Winona, Woodie, or Wilson)
  3. Runner - Literally anybody. Woodie is the top choice because of Lucy's instant-aggro and he can tank or dodge during the Boarrior.
  4. Staff DPS - Anybody that can use staffs. (Usually Willow, Maxwell, or Wicker. Possibly
  5. Melee DPS - Usually Wigfrid or anybody that can use melee. May act as a secondary tank.
  6. Dart DPS - Anybody that can use darts. (Usually Webber, Wendy, or Wilson. Possibly Webber, Wes, Wilson, Wendy, Willow, Winona, or Wigfrid)

Anybody who says that Webber or any character should never be chosen are usually people who haven't had much experience with the game anyway. Any character is useful if the player and the team is good.

8 minutes ago, Stimpz said:

You are right landromat. When I join another server I pick what is necessary for the group. That's the way everyone should to it.

But not on "my" server. When you join a server and see that there is already a Webber, another DD and a mage or something like that, do you pick just another DD and complain about Webber? 'Cause thats the point. A lot of people do this. Really a lot.

Find some friends to play, because random people will always do what they want. 

Webber is always pick for good team with voice comms, otherwise you should pick wilson, because randoms are dying a lot and no wilson in team is usally lose. Wilson + webber is bad pick because you hae not enough place for core roles

"Webber is bad because he can only use darts"

*says the Wendy who can use a staff even though it's a colossal waste to do so*

Webber is very good. Highest DPS of any dart character (besides maybe Willow, but I doubt it) speaks for itself.

I think the main reason people are quick to turn down Webber is that he takes the same slot as Wilson. In lower level games where players die frequently, Wilson contributes a lot. In higher level games where you get few or no deaths, though, Webber is vastly better.

24 minutes ago, landromat said:

Find some friends to play, because random people will always do what they want. 

Webber is always pick for good team with voice comms, otherwise you should pick wilson, because randoms are dying a lot and no wilson in team is usally lose. Wilson + webber is bad pick because you hae not enough place for core roles

So you only should use Webber if you have 5 friends with voice communication and no wilson? That dosen't sound like a fine character for me. Sounds more like a character that needs more balance. E.g. Wx, Wicker, Max, Woody, Wilson, Webber. A totaly fine group to win the forge in a smooth way even with randoms. Other compilations are possible aswell. I don't think that Webber and Wilson is always a bad pick.

13 minutes ago, Stimpz said:

So you only should use Webber if you have 5 friends with voice communication and no wilson?

Webber is always fine if you can trust your teammates to not die. That doesn't have to mean friends with voicecom, it just means they need to be skilled enough to not run into acid at 20 HP, keep aggro on Boarilla, and manage the Boarrior fight smoothly.

13 minutes ago, Stimpz said:

I don't think that Webber and Wilson is always a bad pick.

If you go Webber+Wilson, you're doing one of the following:

• Wilson uses fire staff (Gimps your DPS, which is the whole reason of picking Webber)
  • Wilson uses heal staff (I think we can all recognize why that doesn't work now)
  • Wilson or Webber is the runner (in which case Woodie isn't, which makes the Boarrior fight much harder because the melees take more damage)
  • You don't have a melee DPS (Gimps your DPS, which is the whole reason of picking Webber)

Doable, sure. Good/optimal, no.

And if we're talking about balance, Wendy has literally no use when compared to the other characters and Wes has an extremely niche use that should never be needed/wanted.

22 minutes ago, Stimpz said:

So you only should use Webber if you have 5 friends with voice communication and no wilson? That dosen't sound like a fine character for me. Sounds more like a character that needs more balance. E.g. Wx, Wicker, Max, Woody, Wilson, Webber. A totaly fine group to win the forge in a smooth way even with randoms. Other compilations are possible aswell. I don't think that Webber and Wilson is always a bad pick.

He is niche character, it does not mean he needs any balancing. He already was buffed since beta, where spiders dealt 6 dmg. Webber is just not for pubs. If you like to deal damage, Just pick wilson. He is great in public games. Having one character fetish is not healty thing at all

Or play with friends

Webber is good. His fellow spiders deals pretty much damage, and that multiple attack the spiders do, have a chance to stop creatures' moves, useful in boarrior fight. When he kites the boarila, spiders can help him grab aggro, that is pretty useful when you don't want to hurt it too much and summon the boarrior.

24 minutes ago, landromat said:

He is niche character, it does not mean he needs any balancing. He already was buffed since beta, where spiders dealt 6 dmg. Webber is just not for pubs. If you like to deal damage, Just pick wilson. He is great in public games. Having one character fetish is not healty thing at all

The Forge is really something different then the original Don't starve Together. I mean, if we speak the truth, it is a casual game. You play a bit here and there and you don't need high skill to play at all (exepct for some bosses maybe). And now there is the Forge where some casual gamers face a game where the discipline and the skill of a old school mmorpg raidmember is needed. I have the luck to play such games and have fun in the Forge but I always liked to identify with my character. If I like to play as Webber, why is it unhealty to do so in the Forge? I have the feeling that, we have the chance to communicate with the Devs, wich is really a nice thing.We should use it. We should discuss everything that lays on our heart. Like I said, I think Webber could use a bit more love. You say Webber is fine, need no balance at all, but is just not for pubs. This is not the definition of fine. Wigfrid for example is fine. Never see someone complaine about her. Wickerbottom is fine. People are happy to see her picked. Woodie is fine. You know what I mean? (I also think Wendy needs a lot of work for the next event, i really feel sorry for Wendy players but thats offtopic).

5 minutes ago, Stimpz said:

I always liked to identify with my character.

Yes. The Forge is not the place where you can identify you with you character. I like to play wigfrid, But i played Woodie most of the time, Because his skill cap is really big and you can show your skill by playing him and carry your team. Sometimes you play character you like, but usally you have to pick what your team needs. anyway, it's too late to change anything. Next event will be different with different meta, so probably webber will be more popular.

4 hours ago, Mikro said:

In the top 10 fastest speed runs of the forge 9/10 teams had a Webber

Just thought i'd point that out.

EDIT-- Just saw that OP already mentioned that. woops :?

And unless you are pushing those kind of times, Wilson >>>>> Webber, everytime.

Webber is the highest dart dps character.. This is a good role!

...but "better damage" is something you only get to choose when there's spare room, and in a party not good enough to go without Wilson, the only way there's more than one DPS slot (which people prefer Wigfrid in) is if they're OK with Wigfrid being Tank #2. Which skilled parties are sometimes totally fine with... sometimes.

I guess you could argue he should be stronger compared to Wigfrid, the other dps focus physical character, but TBH he probably already outdamages DPS-focused Wigfrids. It's just that people generally prefer Wig as the dps character over Webber anyway. And I can understand, because spiral spear helps focus all that extra damage on boarrior at the very end, instead of spread throughout the match.

You can't just go into any party and pick Webber, but he's still well better off than Wes and Wendy, who are not desirable ever, only tolerable so that you can help others get their win achievements. You could complain that Wilson is your favorite but now you're lv60 and the servers you've been joining complain they don't need Wilson anymore. Arguably, things should only get better for Webbers, because once you're at a good level you should be able to make or join high level or deathless servers and get to play him regularly without complaint (esp. deathless, where he becomes a regular party staple). Lv40 is not so bad to reach.

2 minutes ago, Tumalu said:

Arguably, things should only get better for Webbers, because once you're at a good level you should be able to make or join high level or deathless servers and get to play him regularly without complaint.

Thank you for your replie Tumalu.

I mostly make servers for lvl 60+ or join them. I'm lvl 74. I know thats not a high level at all, compared with guys like Bill, but i think it should be high enough to play with experienced players. I made this topic because it was significant for me how often I had trouble with picking Webber. Sometimes they wanted me to change from Webber to Wendy, wich is in my eyes totally insane and I asked myself, why is it this way? Why are there so many people who hate on Webber?

A little anecdote: I choose the name of this topic because someone in a deathless run, who played Webber, always use to call him "Webber the useless". It was a 70+ server.

change to WENDY? olololol what. I haven't seen anyone think wendy isn't garbage since the very first days of forge

I'm lv88 and my experience has been different from yours, I'm sorry. D: (Honestly, anything over 40~50 is "high level") I mostly pick Willow but when someone else is using fire staff I often pick Webber unless there's a glaring hole in party composition, I've never gotten berated for it. I especially wouldn't expect complaints in deathless, where there's little reason not to have a webber every run.

I don't understand why someone would suggest Wendy instead of Webber.

Webber is ok. Like some others character he isn't a must have, meaning that you can't always put a Webber in the team, but i played it time to time and suggested it for some players (often players not knowing the forge too well : i think he is ok for begginer because his simple role and the fact he is a ranged character (less risk of death)).

I also played in team with a webber and a wilson, it's ok even if not optimised.

The most useless character for me is Wendy. She isn't picked often (for what i saw) and she don't bring much to a group. Webber is ok and, for me, fun to play with when you want something a little more "relax".

I don't think he need a boost at the moment.

For survivability, Wendy is better than Webber because Abigail can keep someone alive long enough to recover.

Webber's only recourse is to hold F and hope the thing targeting you dies, which in most cases is playing to die. It also doesn't help that the spiders can keep Boarrior awake not because you were shooting, but because you got hit.

Just now, HamBatter said:

For survivability, Wendy is better than Webber because Abigail can keep someone alive long enough to recover.

Webber's only recourse is to hold F and hope the thing targeting you dies, which in most cases is playing to die. It also doesn't help that the spiders can keep Boarrior awake not because you were shooting, but because you got hit.

willow is better then

4 minutes ago, HamBatter said:

Bernie can't do damage or be a predictable draw for acid or Boarrior.

3 damage is not a big deal. She has 450 hp and huge ressurection cooldown.

Bernie has 1000 and you can res him whenever you want. Bernie can tank even boarrior for ~3 hits. And he 1-2 shots abigail and you need to wait then. bernie is better, but it's still not reason why willow is popular. Abigail is bad. Healthy mind will never pick wendy over webber

Archived