Why do Mess Tables need to be assigned at all?

Since there is currently no benefit to individualized bedrooms, the same could be said for beds. But maybe something along these lines is in the works.

That said, dupes auto-assign themselves if there is one available to be assigned to, so it's not like this feature is making the game require more micromanagement. You also can potentially distribute your dupes among multiple mini-bases, in which case the assignment feature gives you some finer control. Unfortunately there really isn't much incentive to do this in the game; the closest thing right now is shuffling dupes around to avoid too much slimelung exposure.

I agree. 

If we are going to assign tables, maybe make them customized according to dupe preferences. Maybe some tables will have the complete dinner table setup (candles, a flower, utensils), others might have a TV so the dupes can watch something while they eat. At that point, table assignment makes perfect sense.

But a generic table should be generically available.

I hope Klei fills out the world more with customization eventually. 

I can "assign" dupes to mess tables by assigning who can access what mess halls via the doors. As it is now. I have a mess hall with 8 chairs, most of which sit empty during any given time... Minibases could be created by simply placing doors between areas, restricting access. Assigning beds makes sense. Assigning mess tables does not.

3 hours ago, chromiumboy said:

Mess tables in a medbay are not assigned to individual dupes, they are publically available to dupes using the medbay. If you build a mess hall, mess tables ahould act similarly

Exactly what I'm saying. Should just be a table. If it's in someone's room (if someone is building rooms for their dupes, that's awesome, and I've considered it), then just limit access via the doors.

Yeah this kind of , dupe rarely eat in same time, mess table takes too much space, 30 dupe colony = 30 mess table. I remember prison architect, where how much table we build is depend on crowded or not the canteen, if we feel it crowded we add more. Agree with other here, Assigned mess table is bad, why dupe eat on floor when theres so many unused table around?, just let us set them open free for public like med-room now

Well, prior to room mechanics you could have your flatulent or sneezy dupes eat away from the others because those random events would cause others to drop whatever it was they were doing or carrying.

Aside from this, I don't see why this couldn't be made a "Longtable" or large mess table, cafeteria table request for unassigned eating - this being made out of stone, rather than metal such as the mess tables.

Assigning a mess table to med bay was a nice touch and I believe assigning them to mess halls (available to anybody) or even bedrooms (available to those sleeping in the room) will follow eventually as these make better sense than current personalized assignments - at least unless dupes are taught to eat all at once just like they sleep all at once, which I would consider a nice touch as well.

But I think they're not the top priority now, we should be getting an official release of the oil upgrade this thursday and there's still plenty of bugs to fix.

i dont like assigning mess tables, because they sit there even without oxygen, if you dont assign at all, they kinda just find a place with oxygen, i mena early game, cause my kitchen is near the nearest water, so i dont build much there, and usually its a lot of co2 if its bottom right, later when i got the place i set up oxygen, fridge and nice art in there, but its not much advantage having them, if you run out food and u find some muckroots, they carry them all over back to base to eat it which can be too late

i guess the reason is, to make you pay a bit more for them, cause if you dont need to assign, all could eat on the same one, i kinda like the option to assign, but im not against some public ones

11 hours ago, ShamPeiN said:

i dont like assigning mess tables, because they sit there even without oxygen, if you dont assign at all, they kinda just find a place with oxygen, i mena early game, cause my kitchen is near the nearest water, so i dont build much there, and usually its a lot of co2 if its bottom right, later when i got the place i set up oxygen, fridge and nice art in there, but its not much advantage having them, if you run out food and u find some muckroots, they carry them all over back to base to eat it which can be too late

i guess the reason is, to make you pay a bit more for them, cause if you dont need to assign, all could eat on the same one, i kinda like the option to assign, but im not against some public ones

You don't have to assign them at all, they will just choose one that's open - but they stick to it.

4 hours ago, brummbar7 said:

I like them just fine assigned.  They take up virtually no space anyway, they're not a problem.

I do too, but I miss having them in their little apartments. ..not that there's any real benefit to a mess hall to begin with, but I haven't had stress issues, so I don't know.

I'm thinking that a large mess table might be a good thing - if dupes had multiple food storage locations and there were things to eat at other than the floor and their assigned table, then they could just eat at the nearest available mess table ( multiseat ) ...like a pick nick table or something with multiple seats in an actual mess hall - tier 1 mess table.

What we have now - a decor bonus single seat, feels like a tier 2 type item.

3 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

You don't have to assign them at all, they will just choose one that's open - but they stick to it.

I do too, but I miss having them in their little apartments. ..not that there's any real benefit to a mess hall to begin with, but I haven't had stress issues, so I don't know.

I'm thinking that a large mess table might be a good thing - if dupes had multiple food storage locations and there were things to eat at other than the floor and their assigned table, then they could just eat at the nearest available mess table ( multiseat ) ...like a pick nick table or something with multiple seats in an actual mess hall - tier 1 mess table.

What we have now - a decor bonus single seat, feels like a tier 2 type item.

Ya I'd totally be on board with switching it up to serve a tiered structure.   It might be especially nice for satellite outposts, so dupes don't go running all the way back to home just to eat - one of the most annoying things to me (along with bathroom breaks, but those can already be addressed).  So if mess tables are unassigned, and dining tables are assigned, maybe the dupes will only seek out their dining table if they're within 50 blocks or whatever, otherwise they'll seek out the nearest mess table.   That would be an actually useful mechanic. 

Regarding your apartments Plum, I think they'll be a room type, in time.

i mean i dont even build them, i used to, just for design purposes, like putting a mess table and a deodorizer with a picture above it, a lavatory a bed, a vent, a lamp, and 2 statues to fill all space in a 9x3 room, late game i make a row of tables near a fridge which is close to kitchen, with the new foods, kinda need to ban mushbar and have extra production on it, havent checked out all but seems to be even worse than before

i would like stronghold crusader type food management, setting ratios which would determine happiness bonus, and food variation should add up, chefs should make mixtures of food with small portions of each type, giving more bonus

On 04/10/2017 at 7:37 PM, strawberrygirl said:

I can't imagine a 30 dupe colony. I get to 13 or 14 and my game starts getting a big laggy. 

The most that I've hit is about 25 :D That was on a 400 cycle colony, and its usually because of power generation needs. Strangely enough, my 200 cycle colony with 15 is seemingly lagging, while that prior one didn't seem to hassle.

For the topic: I agree It would be better to have tables unassigned by default.

Archived