Nomading and Beefalo domestication

36 minutes ago, minespatch said:

You might want to try Wickerbottom, Wolfgang, or Wigfrid.

ftfy

I had this long post about how good each of em were, but for some reason it's gone now, so I'll give you a half-assed answer instead:

• Willow - Decent
  • WX-78 - Really good
  • Wigfrid - Decent if you like campfires
  • Wickerbottom - Good but not as good
  • Wolfgang - Pretty good
  • Winona - Decent
  • Wes - Best
  • Woodie - Decent
  • Webber - Good if you like spider civil wars
  • Maxwell - Okay
  • Wilson & Wendy - No.

Now as for beefalo training, going into the desert and filling up a backpack with grass and twigs is pretty good and you might even get a few other goodies, but dragonpies, from what I've heard, is an extremely good way if you have the proper materials.

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I think Wilson is better then you give him credit for in this situation. Because of his beard and the extra insulation that means he'll be able to move around during winter better then other characters.

I'll give you that, but it's not that hard to stay warm during winter. Assuming you don't mind torching trees, you can easily stay warm in winter.

Will give credit where it's due though, he can stay out longer than everyone else. But so can Webber (and Woodie to an extent).

11 hours ago, StarmanNess said:
  • Wes - Best

How about you schnappsy-chaps cut the bull poop with this Wes thing/inside joke and stop misleading beginners/casuals into a "hard mode" stink character, will ye?! From that complete list, op, Wes is the worst - at everything. Sure, if one likes challenges go for said madness; otherwise know the mime is rock-bottom pick for everything you could have in mind regarding named purposes.

1 minute ago, KoreanWaffles said:

Well, um, actually, Wes can go insane day 1 to farm nightmare fuel.

Yep, I saw a lot of newbies/casuals dying by shadows day 1 because playing with Pile o' Balloons seemed fun. Also that 0.75x damage modifier helps a lot in combat :rolleyes:  Speaking of characters that can go insane day 1 (without 0.75x damage), "say hello to my lil" ..beaver: Woodie! And by doing that he also provides wood. Unlike rock-bottom Wes that provides.. added hunger.

26 minutes ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

How about you schnappsy-chaps cut the bull poop with this Wes thing/inside joke and stop misleading beginners/casuals into a "hard mode" stink character, will ye?!

It's only a problem if people are gullible enough to believe it. You'd think that seeing him described as "Has trouble staying alive" in the actual game would send up some red flags.

Internet (as a reflection of real world) is full of "gullible enough to believe it" people. Some of them even read guides; but don't also read into sarcasm. Sure you can blame them. As sure as that not helping one bit. But it helps shift some from the angry camp into the griefer one. Because "someone made fun of them" and they wanna pay it back... on another random. Life is wonderful.. as "Wes is bes" :D

6 hours ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

Internet (as a reflection of real world) is full of "gullible enough to believe it" people. Some of them even read guides; but don't also read into sarcasm. Sure you can blame them. As sure as that not helping one bit. But it helps shift some from the angry camp into the griefer one. Because "someone made fun of them" and they wanna pay it back... on another random. Life is wonderful.. as "Wes is bes" :D

It's an inside joke on the Klei forums for a reason: All of us know Wes is the worst character on purpose. He was designed to be that way, so there's no blame to him. If you actually believe us when we say he's the best character then you honestly kind of deserve to get pranked.

8 hours ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

How about you schnappsy-chaps cut the bull poop with this Wes thing/inside joke and stop misleading beginners/casuals into a "hard mode" stink character, will ye?! From that complete list, op, Wes is the worst - at everything. Sure, if one likes challenges go for said madness; otherwise know the mime is rock-bottom pick for everything you could have in mind regarding named purposes.

Am I being labeled a casual. Sir I'm offended

Woodie is hands down the best character for nomadding. He has absoloutely no issues with sanity, minor insulation, and so long as it isnt winter, he can get food from birchnuts. Plus, there's always beaver mode if you're feeling freaky.

I've done nomadding playstyles myself, and heck, woth woodie, im able to join a game early winter and survive on my own until spring.

3 hours ago, StarmanNess said:

It's an inside joke on the Klei forums for a reason: All of us know Wes is the worst character on purpose. He was designed to be that way, so there's no blame to him. If you actually believe us when we say he's the best character then you honestly kind of deserve to get pranked.

I for one will end my diatribe about the Wes pick with present post. Will just state this: there is a portion of forum visitors - you can name them casuals, heh - that comes here for information; not jokes or memes, not for reading puns in all or most topics - just information regarding some specific subjects of interest. And those are not into the "inside joke" thingy and don't even care about it. Sure, again, you could giggle you've pranked a neophyte, kudos to ye, you're za man and all that. Will the lad/lass that got pranked be happy about it? Probably not if all they wanted was valid information about something. And reading everywhere "Wes is best" and then even "Wes can go insane day 1 to farm nightmare fuel" could convince them said character has something good going on, making him valuable to a team when most Wes players on pubs are just dead weight. Yes, pubs of random people, the ones you most avid forumites avoid like the plague and brag about it as well, afterwards making statements with generalization claim - for pub people as well :rolleyes:

On the subject at matter: Woodie, Wigfrid, Wolf, Wicker, WX, even Willow are all good on the nomad front. Also depends to some extend on the season.

IMHO Webber is one of the best nomads of the game, Ive survived baseless as him for about 500 days:

• Silk beard allows you to survive longer in winter before needing to re-heat
  • Carrying a stack of spider nests and a stack of silk in your backpack is a mobile food, healing and sanity dispenser: Whenever you are low on somehing deploy 4/5 nests, upgrade to tier 3, make a spider war, collect spoils, make tent and sleep in the confortable safety of your nests, break the nests again, precraft another tent, keep going.
  • Monster meat is really abundant in the game , and also Webber can mass produce it if needed. You dont even have to cook it as him, just munch it all raw.
  • Summer's being hard on you? Move to a cave or ruins, you wont have food issues anyway, and spiders can protect you from most things if handled correctly
  • Being insane and sane is a very thin line for Webber, you can use both as needed and always keep a decent amount of fuel with you
  • If its your private server or a public endless, spiders will eventually infest the whole map, so you'll gain protection, healing and food everywhere without even planting your nests
  • Spider Queen neutrality is one of the best protections Webber gets, both on the surface and specially in the ruins: leave queens around, in the dark they will just sleep and never become nest. When something is chasing you (IE depth worms or splumonkeys) let them aggro the queens.

Archived