Geysir cooling easy

Much easier way?  Put a pump in the water that collects from the steam, and then pump it to a freezing biome and make a large cistern of water there to cool.  That worked pretty well for me, though my initial cistern heated up and did not get good temperature transfer even when adding ice and cold minerals to the tank.  Now I drain it out of that into a natural cistern which seems to work better.  Goes from 157 degrees to 52 degrees and now makes great irrigation. 

image.thumb.png.a1496e02c14b73aad431ef2c6e876529.pngimage.thumb.png.55c3f98fe9e0408c40384f17521a23cb.png

This was before I had it falling into the more natural cistern, note the temperature difference, water temp 82 degrees which overheated my bristle blossoms. 

image.thumb.png.f4b4c45d6ce7091664d556163c1b20ac.png

50 minutes ago, SusanMcO said:

Much easier way?  Put a pump in the water that collects from the steam, and then pump it to a freezing biome and make a large cistern of water there to cool.  That worked pretty well for me, though my initial cistern heated up and did not get good temperature transfer even when adding ice and cold minerals to the tank.  Now I drain it out of that into a natural cistern which seems to work better.  Goes from 157 degrees to 52 degrees and now makes great irrigation. 

The only problem with this is that it eventually will heat up. The ice and stored temperature in that storage area is finite, whereas the heat generated by the geyser is not. You'll need some additional cooling before long - and also, you may want to keep an eye on the thickness of your tanks walls, else you may have a spill on your hands shortly... :o

If you note, I noticed the cooling worked better with natural walls/ice in direct contact.  So the cistern at the bottom was deconstructed into the middle one.  I'm at cycle 425 and it hasn't yet had issues with not getting cold enough.  Below my natural cistern, there is a next natural cistern.  And some of the rocks don't transfer heat as well, so even though they're in contact with the hot water, they don't get terribly hot.  I've also found that making sure the water falls a long distance from the water valve also helps to cool it before it hits the cistern.  At some point, maybe will experiment with what distance is needed to effectively cool water that way  :) 

At what rate can you cool the geyser water down? Can you pull it out of the geyser tank at 10 kg/s empty it into the cooling tank and pull it out of the cooling tank at 10 kg/s? Will that continue to work over hundreds of cycles? Or do you have to pump the geyser water into the cooling tank, wait a while for it to cool down, then pump it out?

10 minutes ago, madcat1188 said:

At what rate can you cool the geyser water down? Can you pull it out of the geyser tank at 10 kg/s empty it into the cooling tank and pull it out of the cooling tank at 10 kg/s? Will that continue to work over hundreds of cycles? Or do you have to pump the geyser water into the cooling tank, wait a while for it to cool down, then pump it out?

The geyser water is 95C when it comes out of the geyser. Remember, that's actually a low temperature compared to what most of your generators, batteries etc can handle if they're built from gold amalgam. So you can use the water directly to cool such things that you don't need to maintain before even thinking about cooling the water down further.

7 hours ago, SusanMcO said:

The cooling is almost instantaneous in my setup.  I pump it immediately out to other places.

I do it similar "easy going way".First i pump everything "bad" into ice bioms and melt them downmelt1.thumb.jpg.b61f137a13b4af1920f8ec144923d406.jpg

Then i pump molten goo into freeze/storage area

melt2.thumb.jpg.67fea8b3da92cb648fe54794e99e88ad.jpg

The further plan is, that my peons carry frozen goo, to evil magma biome and reheat it. Then i can pump it into freeze area again.

melt3.thumb.jpg.dc95a12a86d4c4576b66f427260bab39.jpg

8 hours ago, BlueLance said:

the best thing to do is use hot water in abysallite pipes for things that destroy heat, for instance electrolyzers.

That's the way I run my base.  Hot water from geysers are fed into electrolyzers and sleet wheat and bristle blossom farms through abyssalite pipes while my showers, lavatories, and carbon skimmer uses purified water that gets recycled through a water purifier.

On 9/19/2017 at 11:07 AM, goboking said:

That's the way I run my base.  Hot water from geysers are fed into electrolyzers and sleet wheat and bristle blossom farms through abyssalite pipes while my showers, lavatories, and carbon skimmer uses purified water that gets recycled through a water purifier.

Doesn't the hot water heat the plants too much?

On 19.9.2017 at 8:07 PM, goboking said:

..and sleet wheat and bristle blossom farms ... showers, lavatories, and carbon skimmer..

I use nothing from that stuff on my colony. Most important for me, was to get rid of carbon skimmer / water usage. Now i have so much water. Really no problem to cool it down, before usage. Here is how i "manage" the waterstuff. No pressure damage on airflow tiles (last pic)

water.jpg

my current most efficient geyser cooling. Cooling 2 Geysers  by 5 Wheezeworts and WolFramite Pipes, then stay Icy. 4 Wheezeworts are fine enough to stay 20C. I think it can even manage height by over pressure, if Supply surpass Demand

eb746a4f846bea815e6b689fffa4049f.png

8 minutes ago, SusanMcO said:

stepping down the airflows cools it enough with the wheezeworts?

When your "stepping -path" creates enough "swirls"(that vortexpicture-animation), you need less wheezies, but yes it works, many different ways.

5 minutes ago, 0xygen said:

my current most efficient geyser cooling. Cooling 2 Geysers  by 5 Wheezeworts and WolFramite Pipes, then stay Icy. 4 Wheezeworts are fine enough to stay 20C. I think it can even manage height by over pressure, if Supply surpass Demand

eb746a4f846bea815e6b689fffa4049f.png

Nice how different ppl solve problems in oni :)
I like to cool down geysir directly. When i see the red dots (heat texture) somewhere, i fix it. Why insulating the geysir, only too cool it down later? ^^

I built one of the Geyser coolers shown in the image above. It did work for me, I did manage to get the geyser water to cool down to about 30 C. However, it suffers from the same problem that pretty much every other geyser water cooling solution I've seen has: the rate of cooling. You'll notice that the geyser is covered over the top. This reduces the rate it at which produces water. When I put a pump in the cool water reservoir and pumped it into my base after about 50 cycles or so the reservoir was empty.

Can anybody cool geyser water at10 kg/s ?

19 minutes ago, madcat1188 said:

I built one of the Geyser coolers shown in the image above. It did work for me, I did manage to get the geyser water to cool down to about 30 C. However, it suffers from the same problem that pretty much every other geyser water cooling solution I've seen has: the rate of cooling. You'll notice that the geyser is covered over the top. This reduces the rate it at which produces water. When I put a pump in the cool water reservoir and pumped it into my base after about 50 cycles or so the reservoir was empty.

Can anybody cool geyser water at10 kg/s ?

A geyser only output max ~4.2kg/s

There was no special piping or pressure management. Left geyser directly connecting to Vent, and Main tank is placed/connected at Right of this pic (you see water tank continuing to right). Top Hydrogen is 5.4k and-5 C, Bottom Hydrogen is 2.3k and -5 C. Left Geyser Temp is 60 C but it seems sliiiiiightly rising (it was 50-ish)

And both Geyser dont showed "over pressure" so I get maximum water supply and still Icy.  which means cooling 8.4kg/s? add more Wheezwort till cooled enough

12 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

A geyser only output max ~4.2kg/s

Archived