Food, it just too hard now?

From the last update, I have a poor collection of seeds, a limitate number of plants, a small amount of that in the nearby zone and a too much cost in "production" relative on atmosphere and water (but I like it how turn this aspect). 

Besides the classic dirt process to food bar, low quality food of course, what is your main source of food and how you manage that? 

ps: there are still no way to spawn seed or plants, besides teleport them with debug command, right?

My main source is mealwood, requires no resources at all and I just have them growing in the farm tiles at the bottom of my base so they are in Co2, I have 4 per dupe, this means that they have food, and because its in Co2 they food doesnt rot and can be left on the floor if you really want.

Each harvest your plants have a 33% chance of dropping seeds, so you could get 3 lots of seeds or none, but I am always producing tonnes of seeds. 

And correct there is no "Real" way to bring seeds into the game

The ease with which mealwood is grown in the new system trivializes food, in my humble opinion.

Edit: to elaborate, the requirements to grow mealwood are easy to meet and you'll get plenty of seeds just by digging out your starting area.  They cause diarrhea, but that's nothing a few outhouses can't solve. 

I personally move on to more complex farming systems when I'm able to do so (Pepper Bread, Fried Mushrooms, and BBQ after my hatches have served their purpose), but I do so for the challenge and immersion, not because it's optimal to do so.

1 minute ago, suicide commando said:

The main problem with food is that other than mealwood, the other ones are very difficult to make, especially with the lack of steam geysers to produce enough water to irrigate plants.

Well, mushrooms aren't hard.  I transitioned to mushrooms.  Just because I can, and to practice with the easiest way to set up the CO2 room, and there's no way I'll ever use all the slime in this world before the next update/I get bored with this world. 

1 hour ago, suicide commando said:

The main problem with food is that other than mealwood, the other ones are very difficult to make, especially with the lack of steam geysers to produce enough water to irrigate plants.

Mealwood is basicly 'to easy' to make, whereas anything else is now bloody hard.

Its this that makes me wish that we could 'dig' for a geyser, but it comes at a cost. Once you finish digging, the geyser forms along with a neutronium foundation and releases a lot of steam, water and other less savory gases. Worse, your stuck with it an can't move it once done.

The size and output of the geyser should also be random.

Hm I might be wrong but I remember that before the update mealwood gave no additional seeds when harvesting at least not at the beginning where an excellent yield wasn't really feasable. Now it seems that mealwood harvest has been simplified but there is no real alternativ to that except for some dusk caps if you're lucky. In my opinion the farming system is good but they should increase the negative side effects from bad quality food such as diarrhea and bad mood / stress.

10 hours ago, brummbar7 said:

Well, mushrooms aren't hard.  I transitioned to mushrooms.  Just because I can, and to practice with the easiest way to set up the CO2 room, and there's no way I'll ever use all the slime in this world before the next update/I get bored with this world. 

Same here, gotten to the point where there's so much slime that I'm turning it into algae in the distiller and feeding that polluted water to the plants.

10 hours ago, suicide commando said:

You have to deal with slimelung though, and continuously harvest more slime.

...it goes in fits and bouts of slumming it through that biome. I hate that the slime biomes - for all practical purposes now - surround the player. It's gotten to the point where I just go towards the hot biomes right off the bat and start looking for passage away from there. I'm finding the ore scrubbers to be useful - though not as useful as just storing it in chlorine. I have it set up such that the dupes wash their hands after scrubbing, then they can run through the base, if they have to, and not track germs everywhere - even when carrying slightly germy slime. It appears that if they don't pick it up with their suction gun, then they don't get germy carrying it.

Plum, then you should try this map seed out :p

I ran into it just two days ago, and had been fooling around with it a bit when I got bored with my 500 cycle base.

Basically, you're completely surrounded by purple biome.  There's a steam geyser pretty close to you down below, but it'd be a pain to use that since you want to get some Gold for a pump there.

Anyway, it's pretty fun and challenging, in that I had to dig quite a bit for enough Gold (the closest slime biome is pretty far) and Abssyalite.

Give it a try and I bet you'll miss having at least some slime biome around lol

Mealwood is great for starting out.  However, as you start to research tech, I've found that mushrooms are awesome.   Slime has to be dealt with anyway, whether you're turning it into algae or making food with it.  Also, it turns out that C02 is more dense than natural gas, so I dug out a slime biome and built fertilizer makers and under THAT I built my mushroom garden.  

23 hours ago, suicide commando said:

Well, I set up my mushroom farm inside my base, above a couple coal generators.  So any slime that comes through has to go through my ore scrubbers.  Even if it didn't, I'm not sure it would really matter that much.  I have a couple deodorizers in the farm, plus others scattered around my base, to clean up any PO that escapes in transport.  You're right that for new players the slime biome aspect makes mushroom farming a bit prohibitive perhaps.  But once a player learns to handle diseases, mushrooms are easy enough, and most importantly irrigation-free.

On 08/09/2017 at 2:26 PM, suicide commando said:

Plant a wheezewart next to a slime area, wait 10 or so cycles and the slimelung will all die, then you can just mine slime as and when you need it.

On 09/09/2017 at 3:42 AM, vonVile said:

Mushrooms are easy to farm. Build a liquid airlock to store CO2 and have 2 Weezeworts to keep the temperature under 95F. Then place 2 Deodorizers next to them to get rid of the PO created when Dupes deliver Slime. 

Don't over complicate things :D PO2 gathers in the highest point if ever some slime emits inside, and eventually gets destroyed by the crushing force of over pressurised vents ;) 

image.thumb.png.82340098555754d314338029b4e3fba7.pngimage.thumb.png.a75edf2503813c80fd6331dff2d61ab8.png

Archived