Confused on New Farming

This update once again seems to massively change farming, we knew these changes were coming, but it leaves me with questions when it comes to hydroponic farms.  Like why use them in some situations?

I like the new requirement system it feels much more simplified which I like, but I think it needs to be extended to have bonus requirements.  For Instance, mealwood no longer can be used in a hydroponic farm so it seems.  Not sure why.  Also it will not consume liquid anymore based on its requirements, and yet it is still possible to plant mealwood in hydroponic farms.

So I feel like I am missing something obvious.  I watched most of the twitch streams leading up to this update, but they never get to end game farming.  Was wondering if someone could give an end game farming tutorial.  And things like oh just use pots for mealwood is not a sufficient answer, I have hydroponics I should be able to use it for anything.  Why would I use a planter?  Besides maybe saving my metal, but I am not worried about saving metal at this point.

Hoping the farm system gets a bit more thought out or I must be missing something.  I felt like the harvest point system was well thought out but maybe a bit too complex.  This new system is simpler more slick, but not well thought out.

1 hour ago, CoyoteWAN said:

And things like oh just use pots for mealwood is not a sufficient answer, I have hydroponics I should be able to use it for anything.  Why would I use a planter?

Because hydroponics don't help with mealwood now. You can use it, but you won't get anything extra.

Farm tiles are the perfect match for growing mealwood, since mealwood doesn't need irrigation. They're an upgrade to the planter box in every way. They are also unique in that they have no negative decor value. Hydroponic tiles support automated irrigation for plants that require it, that's the difference between them and farm tiles. But they have a small amount of negative decor.

If you plant bristle berries or other plants that need irrigation in regular farm tiles, the dupes will deliver water manually if you have the appropriate bottler.

7 hours ago, CoyoteWAN said:

So I feel like I am missing something obvious.  I watched most of the twitch streams leading up to this update, but they never get to end game farming.  Was wondering if someone could give an end game farming tutorial.  And things like oh just use pots for mealwood is not a sufficient answer, I have hydroponics I should be able to use it for anything.  Why would I use a planter?  Besides maybe saving my metal, but I am not worried about saving metal at this point.

Please watch Lifegrowski, he is playing his first build and is already in a massive base. he usually plays at 7pm GMT. 

6 minutes ago, chemie said:

The new system is basically just do mealwood and never transition away.  Very disappointing.

Mealwood now only gives 800 calories not the 1600 you used to be able to get. Mushrooms are a far better alternative, Plus when they introduce meal requirements chances are you will just stress your dupes out.

Also in the old system I only ever used mealwood it was an easy 1600 calories so for me and my 20-30+ Dupes colonies mealwood wouldn't really cut it.

Just now, BlueLance said:

Mealwood now only gives 800 calories not the 1600 you used to be able to get. Mushrooms are a far better alternative, Plus when they introduce meal requirements chances are you will just stress your dupes out.

Also in the old system I only ever used mealwood it was an easy 1600 calories

I disagree.  Mealwood are much too easy to spam so who cares how much cal they deliver.  Right now, I don't even bother to make bars out of the lice and 6 dups can be feed with very few planters.

5 minutes ago, chemie said:

I disagree.  Mealwood are much too easy to spam so who cares how much cal they deliver.  Right now, I don't even bother to make bars out of the lice and 6 dups can be feed with very few planters.

A mealwood take 3 cycles to grow, and gives you 800 calories, so you would need 4 for each dupe, still more than what it used to be XD id be needing over 100 planters XD

Edit - They are easy to spam, but like I said eventually the food quality will affect your dupes, Donno when they will make it happen but they will probably

4 hours ago, CoyoteWAN said:

That does not make any sense if your not getting anything out of the pipe.

The buildings requirements are it needs a water pipe, so it does make sense. Regardless of what is growing in it the building still needs hwhat It needs

8 hours ago, BlueLance said:

A mealwood take 3 cycles to grow, and gives you 800 calories, so you would need 4 for each dupe, still more than what it used to be XD id be needing over 100 planters XD

Edit - They are easy to spam, but like I said eventually the food quality will affect your dupes, Donno when they will make it happen but they will probably

It already does: there is a "Lousy Meal" debuff that you get whenever the food quality is below food expectation. It was there in AU, too. It just seems to do almost nothing. It didn't do much in AU either, though in that case the spammable food of choice was -1 instead of -3 so it made a little bit more sense.

3 minutes ago, Ciderblock said:

It already does: there is a "Lousy Meal" debuff that you get whenever the food quality is below food expectation. It was there in AU, too. It just seems to do almost nothing. It didn't do much in AU either, though in that case the spammable food of choice was -1 instead of -3 so it made a little bit more sense.

In AU, it only lasted for the meal. In OU, it lasts for the whole day.

It's still not a big deal because stress is easy to manage.

15 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

In AU, it only lasted for the meal. In OU, it lasts for the whole day.

It's still not a big deal because stress is easy to manage.

There was that animation tied to old disease where the dupe was all green in the face and performing animations that made his performance drop noticably. I think it would be great to have that with the lousy meal debuff. 

43 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

There was that animation tied to old disease where the dupe was all green in the face and performing animations that made his performance drop noticably. I think it would be great to have that with the lousy meal debuff. 

That constant job cancellation was an annoyance, especially with the dupe pathfinding favoring sky-high ladders over "natural" bases.

A plain skill drop would be much better, as it wouldn't rely on bad mechanics like animations cancelling AI and especially animations causing dupes to drop held items.

Or maybe immune system penalty due to malnutrition. It would be an "outbreakish" way to make food more important.

10 hours ago, BlueLance said:

12 dups seem to have 200,000 cal sitting around with only 24 mealwood plants and the occasional "wild" wheat 

The hydro tiles are great for dealing with germy polluted water, using the thimble reed, 160kg polluted water per cycle...they're always stifling out but the waste pipe never clogs up and I don't have to deal with an even larger open pit of polluted water than needed. 

Granted, this is just deleting water, and for sustainability's sake it's a bust. 

I'm currently running on mealwood, but I would like to "upgrade" my food. The problem is that pincha needs too much poluted water (more then I produce with 8 dupes showers + lavatories) and mushrooms need slime. Ok, I could probably create a puft + morb room to obtain a steady supply of slime, but won't the slimelung be painfull to manage? I've not even tried touching slime lung for now so I don't really konw how it is to deal with.

Thank's!

5 minutes ago, leoladoudou said:

I'm currently running on mealwood, but I would like to "upgrade" my food. The problem is that pincha needs too much poluted water (more then I produce with 8 dupes showers + lavatories) and mushrooms need slime. Ok, I could probably create a puft + morb room to obtain a steady supply of slime, but won't the slimelung be painfull to manage? I've not even tried touching slime lung for now so I don't really konw how it is to deal with.

Thank's!

The easiest (relatively speaking, of course) I can think of in this case would be to have the room cooled down to below 10C and keep it like that.

On 8/28/2017 at 5:45 PM, leoladoudou said:

Hmm slimelung dies at -10? And is there a way to feed dupes with pincha bread in a sustainable way?

With any of the long cycle plants, you should plant them at intervals - in other words have a schedule. I'll plant 6 spores, then 6 more 5 cycles later.

I could do the same with mealwood another other cycle. Eventually it gets to the point where scheduled harvests become an all day event for my dupes. Or the become overwhelmed by it. 

Now about this slime lung: I have three games started, my release day game has slime lung all over every tile of slime and polluted o2.

After some hotfix patches, I started anew, and have found that slime lung is only being generated by morbs and pufts. So I simply avoid those pockets there in. 

The slime I collect isn't germy so I don't worry with it too much.

For reference, one farm tile can accept a 10kg delivery of slime, mushrooms use 4kg per cycle, so it's not like dupes to be handling it constantly.

Not sure if the ore scrubber would work on slime.

edit: now I occasionally run into slime that is and slime that isn't infected with slimelung, it just seems to be random for me right now.

1 hour ago, leoladoudou said:

Hmm slimelung dies at -10? And is there a way to feed dupes with pincha bread in a sustainable way?

Actually, they would die at 10C.  You can see details of germs in the germs tab, and the temperature range listed for them is 10-100C

Archived