Confused on New Farming

put slime/algae/gold/clay in submerged compactor in PW at -5C and slimelung dies in a few cycles.

You can create a cooler tank in an ice biome fairly quickly (I pumped PW at 30C and it dropped to target in a few cycles).

On 8/28/2017 at 6:35 PM, Reaniel said:

Actually, they would die at 10C.  You can see details of germs in the germs tab, and the temperature range listed for them is 10-100C

Actually, they start dying at 19 degrees.

On 8/29/2017 at 8:38 AM, leoladoudou said:

I finally got a better idea : having the bottom of the room with pufts filed with chlorine

The problem with this is that in working with dupes in a particular room, c02 will build up in that area even if it's low concentration, gases don't mix and that slime will eventually off gas polluted oxygen - so the whole area becomes a mess of gasses which may or may not carry germs - and from what I can tell, puft-poop is definitely a slimelung source, this includes polluted O2 and so on.

So if you can get your pufts to survive in an icebox of some sort, then this is probably a sound plan, as both PO and slime are treatable at their source.

6 hours ago, Jcheung said:

Actually, they start dying at 19 degrees.

Germs die off in so many ways - even while sitting in the storage compactor they die off. And hilariously enough, food poisoning starts to die off due to overpopulation (I've seen this happen in my washbasin runoff pit) - though it just seems to max out in this case.

On 8/28/2017 at 9:22 PM, chemie said:

put slime/algae/gold/clay in submerged compactor in PW at -5C and slimelung dies in a few cycles.

You can create a cooler tank in an ice biome fairly quickly (I pumped PW at 30C and it dropped to target in a few cycles).

PW will off gas PO even when cold, so as long at this is going on in a very cold area, the slimelung infested PO emitted from transferring infected slime to and fro should die off in cold climate air as well.

As for the original post, I usually start off making liceloaf from a limited number of plants and then move towards getting mushrooms going in standard farm tiles.

Pinchapepper is practically a rare find/use for me and I just let it grow wherever it is and make places to collect it when it falls off the vine. Sleet wheat is another thing I have been trying to figure out how to deal with simply because I have yet to build a base (or be able to build a base ) that can spare the water and infrastructure requirements for a large enough plot - I suppose it's the same story for both in that case.

Overhandling slime isn't entirely needed - if you butt your mushroom farm up against the swamp biome and simply do not sweep or store the slime, just dig a few tiles and let it sit there on the ground - dupes will go and collect it when the mushrooms need fertilizing - and they can wash their hands when leaving the farming area. I'll leave the setup to your imagination but I usually only have one well oxygenated exit, I try to keep chlorine out of the gasses equation when it comes to farming mushrooms but I'm slowly imagining a setup with pinchapepper in chlorine on top of a mushroom farm seing as how chlorine floats on top of co2.

Otherwise, the slime can be run through an ore scrubber, left to sit in chilled PW until disinfected, etc ( Many good in posts suggestions above if you need it stored).

1 hour ago, Reaniel said:

CO2 will now build up with puft being in there, since they seem to have changed puft so they'd output CO2 instead of O2.  So a cold puft room is the more effective way of disinfect.

They never did output O2 (or if they did, not in a long time).  Sometimes it *looks* that way if there's already oxygen in the room, and as the puft uses up PO, the clean O2 expands to fill the void.   Are you sure the CO2 you're seeing is not from your dupes breathing?

47 minutes ago, brummbar7 said:

They never did output O2 (or if they did, not in a long time).  Sometimes it *looks* that way if there's already oxygen in the room, and as the puft uses up PO, the clean O2 expands to fill the void.   Are you sure the CO2 you're seeing is not from your dupes breathing?

I'm totally wrong with the O2 output.  You can file it under ONI myths along with Morbs eating gas...  It was probably just stuff some guides mentioned back when I was just starting off, and it just sort of became a fact in my mind without ever questioning it.

As for the CO2 output.  I can't reproduce it anymore, but when I was messing around on the first day, I noticed that chambers containing puft and PH2O became filled with CO2, and the quantities are quite high as well (800g or so per tile), so I kind of just assumed that they now output CO2 instead of O2.  I even teleported a few pufts into a room in slime biome that didn't have any CO2 tiles, and I ended up with the same result.

Looking back now, I probably just missed that one tile of compressed CO2 and ended up with this dumb assumption... Sigh...

Archived