The pig and the beaver

Woodie: Hello Mr. Pig, i will now feed you since my ability allows me to make you follow me for twice as long as other characters!

Pig: YOU IS FRIEND

*36 seconds later , dusk comes*

*pig disappears*

Is it just me? I keep losing my pigs when dusk comes. Hell they even refuse to come by the fire and/or sleep on the ground. They just start running around screaming for help and i end up losing their attenction after dusk comes..!

I used to be able to bring them to my base and use them as a sanity-boost while they were sleeping , i used to give them football helmets to never lose them.. and yet since a few game updates they just disappear once dusk comes. Am i doing something wrong?

EDIT: apparently the fatties are willing to follow me if i turn my lantern/torch on... And somebody said taming a beefalo was hard.. :wilsondisapproving:

Even though they technically have no reason to be, pigs are scared to death of darkness, and will only follow you if you have a light.

This can result in a pig being very, VERY interested in Abigail at dusk.

Pigs shouldn't despawn at all. Your pigs dissapearing is likely a result of then panicking at dusk. Them losing their hats happens because they run out of durability when worn, even by pigs and rabbits.

46 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

WHERE IS SUN?!!

Also they seem to think Abigail is a fire.  : P  Me, the last time I had pigs follow me reliably for a while was when I was playing as Unnerfed Willow, and just turned on my infinite lighter all night--and dusk, the big wusses.

...Notorious

There is just so much wrong with Willow sadly.. The lighter durability is simply stupid, in the first 20 minutes of gameplay a player can craft himself a lantern, which has a much better light-radius than the lighter, and is "infinite" as well. The ligher should be infinite on DST and only usable (like lucy) by Willow!

4 minutes ago, absimiliard said:

Isn't the lighter more about not needing a fire to cook over than the tiny light radius for free?  I mean, it's not like a torch is a meaningful build.

Meh i don't feel like it should be used as a mean of cooking. Why would you cook your stuff "on the run"? Cooked vegetables (which you find by exploring) last a lot less than their non-cooked variants

Cooking monster meat isn't needed since you are Willow anyways

Cooking normal Meat and morsels .. meh.

If the lighter took 0% durability from cooking it would be a little bit more useful. i don't understand why i should waste 1 inventory space to bring with me something to cook. 2 if you count Bernie.

Oh, the inventory space is probably a designed-in cost.  Wes's balloons are almost certainly there to make him harder to play -- their value is nominal at the very best and the cost of an inventory slot .....   Well, it makes my main a challenge, let's just say that.  I never thought of Bernie or the lighter as a cost, but your point about them taking two slots is absolutely correct -- they are clearly a cost.

(As for myself, I cook food before eating it if it's practical -- cooked veggies give more health than raw, and cooked greencaps or cactus fruit are a big deal for sanity-management some games.)

7 minutes ago, absimiliard said:

Wes's balloons are almost certainly there to make him harder to play

It makes it easier to decorate your base, summon a friendly depressed girl's sister, and have some PvP fun!...in a PvE server.

19 hours ago, Onetel21 said:

There is just so much wrong with Willow sadly.. The lighter durability is simply stupid, in the first 20 minutes of gameplay a player can craft himself a lantern, which has a much better light-radius than the lighter, and is "infinite" as well. The ligher should be infinite on DST and only usable (like lucy) by Willow!

The lantern isn't infinite. Or maybe it is or maybe it isn't

Just now, King Rich 1357 said:

The lantern isn't infinite. Or maybe it is or maybe it isn't

it is not "infinite", but collecting light bulbs (20+) takes less then 1 minute with a lucky cave spawn and will make your lantern last over 2 in game days

2 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I often wonder if Charlie actually did something to them to be so terrified of the dark. They seem to be immune to her anyway.

They were already scared in Maxwell's reign. Poor piggies are just overgrown children.

Their bacon of hope... : P  Reminds me--one time, I had three pigs following along behind me in the summer.  One of them was named Bacon, and GUESS who caught on fire.

"NO!  DON'T COOK MY BACON! wait..." 

XD  I'm so mean.  Actually he was okay, which always mystifies me.  But yes, Bacon got cooked.  Heh.

...Notorious

29 minutes ago, minespatch said:

They were already scared in Maxwell's reign. Poor piggies are just overgrown children

But during Maxwell's reign charlie was already the darkness. Anyway piggies are pretty brave normally, I mean they see a huge furry giant that literally makes trees and structures explode, and  without any doubt charge unarmored to berserk punch him.

But as soon as it gets a little dark: "NOOO!"

17 hours ago, GiddyGuy said:

It makes it easier to ... summon a friendly depressed girl's sister,...

I had no idea you could destroy a balloon to summon Abigail.  That ... Is ... Awesome!!!!!!

By the Shadows, Wes has a purpose!  Who knew?

On 5/1/2017 at 11:10 AM, Onetel21 said:

it is not "infinite", but collecting light bulbs (20+) takes less then 1 minute with a lucky cave spawn and will make your lantern last over 2 in game days

I'm a noob so I don't know that stuff):

15 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

But during Maxwell's reign charlie was already the darkness. Anyway piggies are pretty brave normally, I mean they see a huge furry giant that literally makes trees and structures explode, and  without any doubt charge unarmored to berserk punch him.

But as soon as it gets a little dark: "NOOO!"

To be fair, we all were like that when we started playing Don't Starve. "Oh i can totally kite that thing, but it's already getting a bit dark, so i think i should make a campfire and make sure it's completely fueled so i don't die :wilson_shocked:"

In fact, sometimes i like to think of pigs as representations of newbie players. Eat random food off the ground, attack dangerous enemies and are terrified of the dark.

9 hours ago, Palecwsmalec1 said:

In fact, sometimes i like to think of pigs as representations of newbie players. Eat random food off the ground, attack dangerous enemies and are terrified of the dark.

So my spirit starver is a pigman? Huh, that would explain why Wilson's Hallowed Nights costume was a guardian.

Archived