The Year Round April Fools Joke

Willow.

That's just it really. As a Willow the Nerfed main, seriously considering to not play her anymore because of all the deaths her freezing gimmick causes. It's like, the ability to cook food on the fly is cool and unique; Bernie is useless most of the time, the fire resistance barely is noticeable, and sanity gain from fire is also not even noticeable. So basically, it's the freezing gimmick versus the lighter.

Well, when you are getting chased by mobs that take minutes to proc off of you, great coding decision by the way super fun, and your sanity is draining and then you start to freeze. You are literally dead. Because it takes so long to set anything on fire that whatever is chasing you will just interrupt it, or damage you on top of the freezing sapping yourself. And even better,  if you die while setting something on fire; the fire will destroy all your things when you die.

Died trying to start a fire while freezing because no combat equipment versus four hounds that never de-aggro.

Died again setting a fire while freezing because splumonkeys kept chainlocking with feces, because they're impossible to catch and kill without using obscure methods but they're impossible to function around because they steal everything. Super fun design choice again.

Both times, lost everything flammable in inventory because the fire started on death. And then there are the numerous less mentionable times spontaneously freezing has caused problems. Because it is literally, your character has a low sanity pool; are you at low sanity, now your health is draining. Stop everything and start a fire. Which is fantastic when there are so many combat oriented sanity draining sources in the game, and so many enemies in the game have been coded to expressly make the game experience less fun. How about instead of making enemies chase you forever, or run from you forever, you add realistic and enjoyable challenges to the game.

Why. Did the developers even bother thinking about what benefit there is to playing Willow anymore. It's been two years, and they still have not fixed her. Every normal character in the game has significant meta abilities, with almost no real drawbacks if you are experienced. Willow had spontaneous fire starting, which is an abhorrent drawback unless she is majorly powerful, and now has spontaneous freezing.

Alright developers, you patched in a significant drawback to this character which is more severe then the ones for every other character. Now when do you plan on adding the significant benefit to balance this out. Two years this character has been blatantly incomplete.

Alright, rant over, going to join a new server now not playing as Willow.

Used to love her in single player... was the first unlockable so the pride and attachment you get is there...

Proposition:

• Instead of fire immunity (as someone once stated "she's not a fire goddess"), but instead give her reduced damage from fire... say 50%?
  • Bring back her fire stater perk when at low sanity... but instead, add a warning for when she's about to start a fire... say, she'll say something with a flavor text, that she's about to start a fire... something stating her instability but not too on the nose, (leave it to the writers) but make it so it looks like a warning... like with the hounds as a start maybe even a special cry or sound... after a few utterances of this, she then starts a fire so anyone around or even the player can see this and avoid flammable materials around them...
  • Make her sanity regen to flames bigger... like in DS Alone... so her lighter would seem a bit more useful...
  • Bernie, IDK, I like how he is now so IDK what to do with him... but for laughs, why not let him be able to be set on fire and mobs getting near him get fire damage... lol

That's just me...

9 minutes ago, Asparagus said:
  • Bernie, IDK, I like how he is now so IDK what to do with him... but for laughs, why not let him be able to be set on fire and mobs getting near him get fire damage... lol

Needs 4 slots for explosives.

Doesn't Willow already get 50% fire damage reduction?

I understand why lighting fires at low sanity was changed to needing to start fires at low sanity, but losing health at low sanity is too much of a con. A lack of fire immunity means that Willow can't fully take advantage of late game fire-based mechanics (I.e. farming using flingos and dwarf stars). I think Bernie and being able to cook on the go are interesting mechanics, but they're not enough to make up for the severe nerfs.

How about something small? allow other characters to cook on Willow's Lighter, then she can craft them for other players, as she already does with Bernie. Gives the lighter a nice boost for various character server vagabonds.

(Bernie plays a useful roll in the new Atrium fight, and is convenient for most bases).

4 hours ago, Asparagus said:

haven't played with her mechanics for a long time since her nerf... f

Williow gets like a 3 sec immunity to fire. so it's not reduced damage all it does is take longer for willow to take damage from fire.

1 hour ago, Donke60 said:

Williow gets like a 3 sec immunity to fire. so it's not reduced damage all it does is take longer for willow to take damage from fire.

Afaik, she has the few seconds of immunity and then takes half the damage after that. 

2 minutes ago, Donke60 said:

Fire damage happens so quickly there is no point in taking half the damage.

I agree. The only benefit of her current level of immunity is fire hound protection. 

Me:Hey Capcom when are you gonna fix your game

Capcom: With this cool beta called the CFN Beta For SFV sure hope you enjoy it since its free

Me:Still Bad netcode 

Arika: You should check out our game called Arika its based off our name, *Shows Street Fighter EX Characters*

Me: This looks better and promising than Street fighter V and please do not be a April fool's joke it looks to good to be one, capcom please make a good Street fighter and not a unplayable one 

there are alot of things you can do with willow better than other characters  1 thing I have been trying to push is fire stunning  bishops, knights, koalephants, varggs, ewecus, spiderqueens, and beefalo they are all monsters than can have this applied to them and the list is still growing.

reallly to me i think the freezing is a interesting mechanic to make her more viable late game  which basically makes her a reverse wilson without a beard. I have seen alot of willow mains already figure ways to deal with the sanity freezing during other seasons if you haven't figured that out yet then how have can you say you truly main your character. In doing so you have to accept all the ups and downs that come with it

all the stuff mentioned that you are aguing all I can really say to most of it is get good. And I dont really mean that in a bad way

3 hours ago, EsaiXD said:

there are alot of things you can do with willow better than other characters  1 thing I have been trying to push is fire stunning  bishops, knights, koalephants, varggs, ewecus, spiderqueens, and beefalo they are all monsters than can have this applied to them and the list is still growing.

I use Fire stuns as well just stay clear of wooded areas
thoiugh How does williow  do this better then any other character.

9 minutes ago, EsaiXD said:

reallly to me i think the freezing is a interesting mechanic to make her more viable late game  which basically makes her a reverse wilson without a beard. I have seen alot of willow mains already figure ways to deal with the sanity freezing during other seasons if you haven't figured that out yet then how have can you say you truly main your character. In doing so you have to accept all the ups and downs that come with it

all the stuff mentioned that you are aguing all I can really say to most of it is get good. And I dont really mean that in a bad way

says the one who is crying because he cannot abuse abigail flowers anymore :D

1 hour ago, thistownneedsguns said:

says the one who is crying because he cannot abuse abigail flowers anymore :D

i just made the station  hardly ever used it myself im glad of what klei did and happy that they didn't completely take it out as i initially thought  but was through me they tweaked it to the point it will be now

1 hour ago, Donke60 said:

I use Fire stuns as well just stay clear of wooded areas
thoiugh How does williow  do this better then any other character.

cause she is immune to fire for a short bit can get in 8 hits rather  than 3 like how other characters have to do b4 scalemail so you can use it alot earlier than other characters can

3 hours ago, EsaiXD said:

cause she is immune to fire for a short bit can get in 8 hits rather  than 3 like how other characters have to do b4 scalemail

Oh I think I misinterpated what you said see i light creatures on fire I don't do the fire DPS where you burn things in your inventory if that's what your talking about.

no and i dont even think that is part of dst at all the whole inventory fire  but yeah i was talking about the light the creature on fire aspect

4 minutes ago, Donke60 said:

Oh I think I misinterpated what you said see i light creatures on fire I don't do the fire DPS where you burn things in your inventory if that's what your talking about.

9 hours ago, Asparagus said:

Bring back her fire stater perk when at low sanity... but instead, add a warning for when she's about to start a fire... say, she'll say something with a flavor text, that she's about to start a fire... something stating her instability but not too on the nose, (leave it to the writers) but make it so it looks like a warning... like with the hounds as a start maybe even a special cry or sound... after a few utterances of this, she then starts a fire so anyone around or even the player can see this and avoid flammable materials around them...

No, definately no. Removing this was a really smart thing from Klei.

Having this in multiplayer would make new players and people that don't really know how to handle sanity that well (which is a whole lot of players) would almost always, warning sounds or not, burn your team's base unintentionally. So out of fear, noone would even allow the risk of having a Willow on their team.

Willow's con is very strong, we wouldn't argue on that, the problem with Willow is that she has nothing "as good" to compensate her heavy con. Imagine if Maxwell having 50% hp as his main con, had just a lighter and bernie as his main advantages. Who'd like to use Maxwell like that? Maxwell's not the most popular character now because of his heavy con, however it's not a bad character at all, because his advantages are fairly strong to compensate: He's the best gatherer of the game not needing to walk bearger or waste weather pains to clear out everything, can consume his sanity in a reckless way -it'll always grow back effortless- and can stay insane permanently if he needs to.

What I believe Willow needs are advantages that make worth having such a big penalty. I have dealed extensively with suggestions on this topic several times, other people added theirs, and the main consensus of really good suggestions I got, to sum it up, would be as follows:

• Have her fire immunity back: this would not make her a fire goddess, she'd still die of overheat, and forest fires are not that much of a concern in DST.
    This would be a situational skill to gather protection in fire patches from mobs, be a lot safer when fighting Dfly, or to be able to use fire as a damage over time when fighting mobs, it will allow you to stay next to them as they burn still dealing damage and not taking any from the fires (providing some sanity as well). Good Willow players will learn how to time her fire usage to give the last hits on mobs without burning their loot or everything around the arena.
  • Allow her to put out burning things with her bare hands, at the cost of sanity: Not just smoldering things like all characters do, but also blazing things, which any character would need water baloons or ice staves to put out. This would be a safe extra if you handled your fires poorly and need to put out something. it won't replace a flingo but can be helpful in many situations.
  • Make her lighter refuelable, and have the same light radius as a torch. This would make it more useful and appealing to everyone.
  • Allow her to be overall better with some fire related things, but not OP: Cooking times at the crock pot, if she starts the cook process, would take 50% less. Torches and her lighter will last 25% more if she uses them, and provide a larger light radius. Campfires she starts will always start at max fire intensity. She should be able to get 25% more hits and 6.6/min sanity regen out of using scaled armor. She should be able to actually deal instant damage with fire staves, instead of just the fire over time (25 instant damage, then the usual fire damage over time), etc.
  • Bernie's fine. Leave bernie alone.

It has been suggested before to just change entirely her con, to make her take more damage from all ice and freezing damage sources instead. Being that a smaller disadvantage, then the advantages I've mentioned before, would probably be less.

Always wondered if it would work well to use her fire immunity to stand in a burning field and have enemies fry as they try to attack, but this game absolutely hates the existence of fire and so any flammable loots drop you could get are null and wildfires may occur. Which is basically the sum of why the fire staff is not used.

Giving Willow the ability to regenerate health at a very slow rate, and sanity at a moderate rate, while around fires would give her a comparable minor-boon to Wigfrid and her combat regeneration. But she would still need something big still, and fire immunity is not that.

Maybe giving her the ability to breathe fire.

Honestly difficult to think of an applicable fire related ability she could have to be paired with regeneration. Fire is such a niche concept and because of the aforementioned issues it's not even a viable concept for weaponization. Which is the main thing holding back any kind of special mechanics or tools Willow could have to fight using fire.

2 hours ago, The Curator said:

Always wondered if it would work well to use her fire immunity to stand in a burning field and have enemies fry as they try to attack, but this game absolutely hates the existence of fire and so any flammable loots drop you could get are null and wildfires may occur. Which is basically the sum of why the fire staff is not used.

Giving Willow the ability to regenerate health at a very slow rate, and sanity at a moderate rate, while around fires would give her a comparable minor-boon to Wigfrid and her combat regeneration. But she would still need something big still, and fire immunity is not that.

Maybe giving her the ability to breathe fire.

Honestly difficult to think of an applicable fire related ability she could have to be paired with regeneration. Fire is such a niche concept and because of the aforementioned issues it's not even a viable concept for weaponization. Which is the main thing holding back any kind of special mechanics or tools Willow could have to fight using fire.

Any sort of "stand near fire" perks are bad because time spent standing near a fire is wasted time that could be spent doing something that improves odds and quality of survival.

What willow needs is 1) Fire immunity for various cheese that you can use it for

2) Scaling heat insulation with lower sanity (resists heat better while more insane)

3) Lighter is refuelable and has the same radius as a lantern.

15 hours ago, The Curator said:

Willow.

Well, when you are getting chased by mobs that take minutes to proc off of you, great coding decision by the way super fun, and your sanity is draining and then you start to freeze. You are literally dead.

This. +1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+11++1+1+1+1+

It is a horrible game mechanic. It is simply no fun. You cannot enjoy much of the game's content because of this (all of the other characters can attempt to go into the ruins alone, while Willow struggles to even farm nightmare fuel on the surface).

Archived