Expected decor and dupe level

While doing some stuff I looked at my dupe ticking stress modifiers and saw "Dab Decor". No big deal, right? Wrong - my dupe was standing at 77 decor tile.

So I looked at this dupe expected decor levels. And I remember that I had no dupes with expected levels higher than 15 when I picked them up. Imagine my surprise when I saw that this particular dupe want 95 decor. After that I checked for other dupes - all of them have between 70 and 100 decor. So there expected decor tied to dupe level - something like 5 decor for every level.

Call me stupid for I did not know this. But 100 decor for 25lvl runner? Yea, she runs like hellhound. But after a bit of mining she will be mad as, well, as a hellhound. No wonder I seem to starting to have stress problems by 100 cycle.

I might decorate the whole base with paintings, but still it makes any sort of expanding very expensive in terms of stress. I remember devs talking about how dupes became more difficult to deal with it time, but maybe it's a bit too much?

Already have seen a 130 decor expectation dupe :p 

it sure looks constraining BUT i still wouldn't toss everything out of the window thought. Maybe some way to "limit" the max skill of your duplicants so you can kindof adapt how skilled you dupes can be depending on your base capacity to be pretty, more decor options (some with small range but huge decor, equipment that gives decor etc...) and some other things would make decor a bit more sophisticated than putting mona lisas everywhere. 

4 minutes ago, kambing said:

that's why you need to put them to sleep. for good. and get fresh ones. 

Indeed, got to keep rotating the ones who whine about some "ugly" ladders and machines with ones that still do all the dirty job without whining about it.

7 hours ago, ShaTiK said:

While doing some stuff I looked at my dupe ticking stress modifiers and saw "Dab Decor". No big deal, right? Wrong - my dupe was standing at 77 decor tile.

So I looked at this dupe expected decor levels. And I remember that I had no dupes with expected levels higher than 15 when I picked them up. Imagine my surprise when I saw that this particular dupe want 95 decor. After that I checked for other dupes - all of them have between 70 and 100 decor. So there expected decor tied to dupe level - something like 5 decor for every level.

Call me stupid for I did not know this. But 100 decor for 25lvl runner? Yea, she runs like hellhound. But after a bit of mining she will be mad as, well, as a hellhound. No wonder I seem to starting to have stress problems by 100 cycle.

I might decorate the whole base with paintings, but still it makes any sort of expanding very expensive in terms of stress. I remember devs talking about how dupes became more difficult to deal with it time, but maybe it's a bit too much?

Here's the thing, if you check your dupe's stats, at the bottom it shows "decor". It is a stat that increases up to the level of the decor value in that room. A dupe needs to be standing in that decor value's area for a decent amount of time before they gain the full benefits of decor; it's unfortunately not instantaneous.

2 hours ago, Czeraphine said:

Here's the thing, if you check your dupe's stats, at the bottom it shows "decor". It is a stat that increases up to the level of the decor value in that room. A dupe needs to be standing in that decor value's area for a decent amount of time before they gain the full benefits of decor; it's unfortunately not instantaneous.

But it's also fortunate since that means they won't immediatly whine when they work in the mining area 2 seconds 8) but it makes it a bit harder to rise up after going to 0. We need more tools to schedule what our duplicants do and where.

1 minute ago, DNsingbanana said:

But it's also fortunate since that means they won't immediatly whine when they work in the mining area 2 seconds 8) but it makes it a bit harder to rise up after going to 0. We need more tools to schedule what our duplicants do and where.

Stress isn't such a hard thing to manage since pictures and statues stack. Ultimately, this leads to your dupes being highly efficient in certain things, like running around your dupe wheel more efficiently so they can generate crazy amounts of power.

Untitled.png

1 hour ago, Czeraphine said:

Stress isn't such a hard thing to manage since pictures and statues stack. Ultimately, this leads to your dupes being highly efficient in certain things, like running around your dupe wheel more efficiently so they can generate crazy amounts of power.

Do they? My understanding is that currently manual generators produce 400watts no matter who is operating the machine. Tinkering, athletics, stress or decor - no effect. Or am I again wrong?

3 hours ago, ShaTiK said:

Do they? My understanding is that currently manual generators produce 400watts no matter who is operating the machine. Tinkering, athletics, stress or decor - no effect. Or am I again wrong?

Nah you are not, it's always 400W and duplicates don't get more efficient at it. Yet at least.

2 minutes ago, Oatmeal said:

So a lvl 0 in all skills will produce the same power as a lvl 100 in everything, while using the wheel?

yes. While also consuming the same amount of food/oxygen etc. But I expect that this is only temporary until they get more important stuff in first.

1 hour ago, Radje said:

yes. While also consuming the same amount of food/oxygen etc. But I expect that this is only temporary until they get more important stuff in first.

1 hour ago, Oatmeal said:

So a lvl 0 in all skills will produce the same power as a lvl 100 in everything, while using the wheel?

3 hours ago, Radje said:

Nah you are not, it's always 400W and duplicates don't get more efficient at it. Yet at least.

6 hours ago, ShaTiK said:

In a stream, one of the coders mentioned that athleticism is going to increase the efficiency of dupes running on the wheels, so it will be true eventually. Hopefully though, that's coming either next week or the week after (supposing content updates happen every 2-3 weeks?).

All of my games are started with 3 dupes with deco expectations of between -35 and -45. As soon as I see a dupe "thinking" about deco, I open the Jobs window and un-check everyone's ability to dig except the dupe in question. I then set a priority 9 dig order in a room at the bottom of my base completely filled with CO2. Once he/she goes to dig, I give another priority 9 order to build a tile to seal the "deco dupe" in the room, where they suffocate in short order. Prior to this, I keep rejecting dupes until I get a suitable dupe ready for printing. I then keep them queued until I kill one off, then print the new dupe.

As has been mentioned above, deco expectations go up way too quickly. Start with a -25 athletic dupe, make sure they're the only one with the job to generate power. Put them on the hamster wheel and by the time they hit athletics 10 (won't take long), they expect +20 deco.

dupes also have a move to button that ca n be utilized to euthanize them

I personally will start using a hexeditor to reduce their skills back to manageable levels, ever level gives +5 expectation

i noticed that high learning can cause problems easily

also never get a tip toe since they get +7 levels but still learn from 0 so they  will be expecting really high decor really quickly since they always start at least with level 7 and easily get up to 17-25 with just having a learned skill of 10-18

Archived