The Void

So, I thought that the void might be a decent place for getting rid of CO2 or Chlorine since nothing can be done with Chlorine and I tend to have too much CO2, but I found this impassable wall. (I also read the patchnotes about the Mercury up there but didn't find it) The whole void is protected by a layer of Neutronium

Has anyone else ventured up to check out the void? Anyone have any similar thoughts? How many of you have been curious enough to spend a play through going to the void?

Encase you haven't been up there Neutronium seems to be a very cold immpossibly tough substance that can't be broken through and seems like it can't be melted either? I might try melting it next if I can build up the resources to live a little longer. Pump a room full of hotair and see where I can get. The void just says unbreathable when hovered over. And I have no idea what the Grey line is.

It cost me nearly everything to get there, but that's because I was dying anyway. Honestly not playing in my large space when I lost 17 dups is probably what saved me for long enough to get up here.

The Void.png

As I see it, this neutronium setup is just a placeholder just to prevent anyone from reaching (read it with a very affected voice) The Void.

I haven't reached any edges yet, so I can't check it right now, but I guess that it's got a thermal factor (or was it heat conductivity?) of 0 just like abyssallite. Meaning that even if you put boiling tungsten next to it, it wouldn't heat up.

27 minutes ago, DockLazy said:

I actually found a  spot of reachable void. I haven't dug it out yet so I'm unsure what will happen if anything

So it is possible you might get lucky and have some spawn where you can get to it.

I can assume insta crash when you reach and open it - pandora box! :D

On 2/23/2017 at 6:59 AM, O.n.y said:

I can assume insta crash when you reach and open it - pandora box! :D

nope, but it does crash when you make the entire map the void however

rJb7kDY.jpg

here's a pic of a vacuum space i made with debug console

nYzK2U0.jpg

and here's the void

from what i have seen, the void can and will consume whatever unfortunate gasses that it can access and will never be filled, unlike a vaccum, a vacuum is just a "blank slate" if you will; that is if no one knew the difference between the two.

I actually had a single spot of the void spawn near my start one of my world generations (not sure if it was a bug).  I'm not sure about heat, but it definitely was slowly consuming all the gas that went near it.  I didn't keep the world, sadly.

On 2/23/2017 at 1:14 AM, Octyabr said:

As I see it, this neutronium setup is just a placeholder just to prevent anyone from reaching (read it with a very affected voice) The Void.

I haven't reached any edges yet, so I can't check it right now, but I guess that it's got a thermal factor (or was it heat conductivity?) of 0 just like abyssallite. Meaning that even if you put boiling tungsten next to it, it wouldn't heat up.

But the more important question is, will whatever is put next to it cool down?

Because, I can imagine a system of pumping oxygen (especially of the contaminated variety) up to the void and letting it condense into liquid oxygen before pumping it back to the heart of your base would be a good way of keeping things clean and cool.

On 23-2-2017 at 0:31 PM, DockLazy said:

I actually found a  spot of reachable void. I haven't dug it out yet so I'm unsure what will happen if anything

So it is possible you might get lucky and have some spawn where you can get to it.

it sucks up everything, it's a giant trashcan. :>

On 26-2-2017 at 11:23 AM, OneVoltTen said:

The void is outside the map and as such if you try to interact outside the map the game crashes.

I actually found a little void inside the map, the characters clip behind it do, so I don't think it's suppose to be there.... but it works.

Archived