Ground fissures, drought? wth is that?

Hey guys, I was playing with a friend, and all of a sudden, he says, as he started walking the ground started collapsing under him, as if his character was suddenly extra heavy... the chests close by also broke with the fissures. It was not an earthwake because the screen itself did not shake.
Here's a screenshot:
54rwA1k.jpg

The season is summer, and there's no boss around (the summer boss is the dragonfly which is far away from our base).
We searched everywhere for "cracked ground" or "collapsed ground" or any word that can explain the phenomena and there's not a single link or image on google about this.
So can anyone tell me what the hell is that? Why it happened so suddenly without warning, how can we turn our base back to normal or prevent this.

More info: You walk slowly inside this shattered ground, you cannot drop items inside it (even though the chests dropped when they broke), theres no mods on our server, and you cannot pitchfork the ground to get rid of it:
show.php?id=112399

:confused:

Yeah.. That's Antlion for ya. It's a new creature, in the desert (usually the smaller desert, not the one with Dragonfly in it) you need to babysit and give toys (Trinkets, things fished up out of the new Oasis near Antlion) or he throws a hissy fit like this. Sorry about your base :[

You can watch this video by @Electroely, it covers most of that update. 

Oh I see... didn't knew about the Antlion at all. 
But the strange thing is, on the wiki it says that he will give three warnings, but doesn't say which warning, and we didn't notice any warning or anything different from usual whatsoever.
So we were caught completely offguard by those sinkholes, not to mention that on the wiki it says that the Antlion will generate Sinkholes ON THE DESERT, and as you can see on the screenshots, our base is nowhere near a desert, it is in a forest, with some savanna around.

Anyway, thanks for the quick responses!

Yes, Ant Lion is pretty annoying, especially if one's unprepared. 

I think the Wiki isn't reliable abaut new stuff in general, and all these were added in the last ANR update, which is still in beta, so it's not surprising that there is no info abaut it.

The Ant Lion and the Volcano from Shipwrecked has a lot in commot, both are summer/dry season only, repeatedly trying to kill you and destroy your base, and both's anger can be delayed with some tributes. However, Ant Lion doesn't give any warnings in advance (as far as I know), just a few seconds before attacking, which could be the reason why someone wrote that on the Wiki. It's also far less destructive than the Volcano, even though his sinkholes cannot be undone (is it right? Can someone confirm?).

There is a description on how after how much time the Ant Lion attacks in the discussion of Electroely's thread: 

Hope you can rebuild the base soon! :) The good news is that if you're not in the base, it cannot be damaged, a bit like summer smoldering.

Oh yes, THOSE things.  I have screenshots of me being _killed_ by Those Things.  (Which then prompted the assinine, eye-roll-inducingly stupid meme response of "git gud, scrub"!  Wow, thanks, I'll keep that in mind.  While I'm upkeeing my base in the 500-day world with super-long winters every year.) 

See, I was confused like you at first, Arkhangels...I used to think the sinkholes could only happen in the desert, and that if I stayed away from there I'd be safe.  NOPE!  Like you, I've now got these weird broken areas in a birch forest, a dark forest, and...the Antlion's actual desert, come to think of it.  The third time happened RIGHT before I found the thing so I _could_ give it tribute, ironically.  (I still think the fact that it's mad at you for _absolutely no reason_ means the Antlion SERIOUSLY needs some help.  Meds, counselling, both--I don't care, just get this emotionally-unstable creature some therapy!)

Oh yeah, by the way--they target you, the player, and if one happens directly under your feet, it's a pretty decent chunk of damage.  So I'd put on some armour as soon as your character starts saying something about the ground shaking.  Just in case.  Some people say it's easy to dodge them (not for me!) but, it doesn't _hurt_ anything to put on your armour for a moment, so...

All that said--as to your original idea : Hey, YEAH, that _should_ be what a drought looks like in Don't Starve!  Only less round, of course.  Dried patches of ground with that style of cracks and pieces...yeah, that'd totally _work_...

EDIT:  I've _heard_ that over time, the sinkholes can eventually heal...?  But I can't confirm that myself.  Also, for tribute?  If you have nothing fancier, the Antlion will take rocks.  Plain old rocks.  :)  Me, I started with regular Don't Starve first, so I tend to carry basic supplies around with me at all times.  Heh.

...Notorious

Has anyone else seen this?

I had 4 sinkholes in my world, 2 at the new lake and 2  close to my base and I thought if you can mine the falling rocks in the cave there must be a way to get the sinkholes away too right? well its 2-3 DST years after the first sinkholes happend (the 2 by the new lake) and guess what? they disappeared, both in my world and on my map
Has anyone else seen this happen?

No, but that's interesting information!  Of course, in my own world it'll probably take longer than just two or three years because the "years" in that particular world are rather short, (and I haven't played anywhere near that long post-sinkhole, yet) but I'll be watching to find out when...

(Random seasons, yo!  In this case:  12-day fall, only 5-day winter, NO spring--just bang, straight to Summer--and that is I think...20 days?  Slightly longer than normal, but not huge.  So it's quite shorter than a standard game-year.)

...Notorious

I think that this sinkhole stuff could be fleshed out more. I'm somewhat liking the idea of the Ant Lion wrecking up your base a bit like that under given conditions and you having to rebuild and such, however it seems a bit underdeveloped and the fact that you wouldn't think to attack the thing and... Seemingly take toys from its own den just to give them back to it (?) makes me think that it's too illogically farfetched, even for something so simple with a huge amount of nonsense type of a game that is Don't Starve (by nonsense I mean stuff that doesn't make any form of sense, not including of the whole magic part for things that are actually magic).

And then again, it seems more like a chore than a form of challenge. Even though volcano and its eruptions in SW had a similar type of mechanic, somehow I feel that this was more like a type of challenge to put you on the edge, prolly cause you wouldn't often be at your base anyway and flingomatics had no purpose, but in regular Summer, they're vital. And since gears have no way of being renewed other than going through dozens of tumbleweeds, which is a lengthy chore in and of itself, a flingo being wrecked by those cracks could mean bye bye everything you've ever made forever. And the reward you get here really is a bit better of a telelocator focus, which now seems a bit more useless than it already was (I know there are farming uses for it, but in terms of teleporting yourself, there isn't really any point). More for Summer would certainly do, as it's more like once you grt enough of those new teleportation things, it's back to caving during Summer and occasionally going to appear the Ant Lion... May be.

I've been playing a game where after day 5 I live entirely underground, so appeasing The Antlion isn't an option. Neither is a tam or a walking cane. I don't find the cave ins that bad because there's warning showers of gravel a couple of times before the boulders fall and as long as you keep running, they're easy to dodge even at base walking speed. They fall all together in a fairly small, circular area  and then it's over. I haven't been hit yet. I just run from the base, if that's where I am, to an unused corner of the map. Now I have maybe four or five of these clusters of boulders (which do show up on the map) scattered here and there throughout the caves and ruins and haven't figured out what I could do with them yet.

On a related note, I just found out something (that some of you probably already knew):  If you get a summer with a rainy start...the sandstorms don't appear in the Antlion's desert at first!  Nor does the oasis lake fill in.  The one makes some kind of sense...(the sand is too wet to fly around?) but the other, notsomuch.  : P

OR maybe it all shows up at the same time, the sandstorm and pond both only appearing once the Antlion has spawned, a few days in?  I dunno.  All I know is, it's now like Day 2 of summer (or is it 3?) it's STILL raining, and the damh pond is still not filled in despite...well, all the rain.  Although it does have damp spots.  Birds and frogs are jumping and landing on it.  I find this all bizzarely amusing, as I take advantage of the rain to not overheat/catch on fire.  Heh.  (And yes, it's definitely summer. The lightning, the music, and the cactus flowers all say so. This is a sort of...control-group world where all the settings have been left default, by the way.)

So...does rain at the beginning of summer delay things, or not...?  I guess I'll have to wait until it stops to see if the desert like, IMMEDIATELY turns into sandy chaos.  (shrug)

...Notorious

2 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

I Now I have maybe four or five of these clusters of boulders (which do show up on the map) scattered here and there throughout the caves and ruins and haven't figured out what I could do with them yet.

You can mine them down and then you get rocks

51 minutes ago, Histekia said:

You can mine them down and then you get rocks

I had them go away in my test world. I don't know how long it takes for them to go away tho. Also the rocks work great as walls becasue hounds/spiders cant break them! The only down side is that they take forever to move!

Rocks are not in short supply in the caves, especially if you feel compelled to clean up the stuff that falls from the ceiling. I also don't have hounds or any serious spider trouble. Monkeys are another matter, but at the very least I can use the rock I get clearing them away to wall in the monkeys.

3 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

On a related note, I just found out something (that some of you probably already knew):  If you get a summer with a rainy start...the sandstorms don't appear in the Antlion's desert at first!  Nor does the oasis lake fill in.  The one makes some kind of sense...(the sand is too wet to fly around?) but the other, notsomuch.  : P

Could it be that the oasis lake empties out cause the lake is a mirage? It does only fill up in the summer, where the sun is so hot it could literally kill you. Wilson's quote on the full lake is "Is that a mirage?", which may or may not be supporting my theory here.

Also, the boulders from the cave-in can be taken up to the surface. They can be used as practically permanent walls, since pathfinder doesn't go around them and they do block almost any mob from coming across.

1 hour ago, Electroely said:

Also, the boulders from the cave-in can be taken up to the surface. They can be used as practically permanent walls, since pathfinder doesn't go around them and they do block almost any mob from coming across.

Nerver tried this before, but thanks I will take a look
Can they be placed close to ocean to?
Cause I made my base next to the ocean and fences and walls cant be placed very colse to it, but most mobs just go thru

That's...an idea.  Both things, I mean--that it's a mirage, and taking the boulders up to the surface.  If only they didn't take so long to lug around...I haven't really done _anything_ with the broken marble statues yet, myself.  'Cos I keep dragging it only partway and then forgetting where I dropped it!  : P

Although that is cool that they CAN be taken to the surface.  Most things in the game treat the caves and the aboveground as two different worlds, and Never The Twain Small Meet for anything you can't carry in your inventory...and some things you can.

Well, I'm'a enjoy my rainy summer-start, and run around picking cactus from the _totally clear_ Antlion desert while I can still see and move fine, and make some nice cactus flower salads.  Might as well make use of the strange weather while it's here!

...Notorious

Archived