What is the contribution of each character to the combo?

WHat do you think each char brings to team?

In my opinion.

Wilson- stability. Having more lives so easily and a good worker at first winter. It helps you be more risky and keep going in winter even without clothing

Willow- i see no point really

Wendy- excellent self sufficient farmer. Gets tons of silk, monster meat and gland without worrying about sanity.

Wickerbottom...gives you time. Really nothing more. It gives you thinks you could already gather by other means but with great comfort and efficiency. Mass food without waiting crops to grow or using manure, plants without waiting, feathers without waiting traps, time to recover from a fight with sleep book. Excellent character really.

Woodie, mass wood with good sanity management. \really nothing unique, you could just hire pigs...

Maxwell, fast gathering while self sufficient (similar to wendy)

Wigfrid, increases team battle power

Wolfgang one man army.

Wx, well....nothing unless bugged with end is neigh.

Webber can farm spiders, but wendy can without making the pigs enemies.

In my opinion most of them dont bring something unique. Example, wx being tanky is irrelevant, while his speed is situational unless wickerbottom. Anyway, i dont want to start a who is better, but the only unique characters in my opinion are wilson, wendy, wicker and wigfrid. Because they can benefit each others. While for example others can be strong, but in a solo way. Ex wolfgang kills things very fast...it means without him you just need more heal food and weapons. But for example wigfrid, fights less, but the whole team needs less inventory for armor.

Or webber can solo giants in seconds with his nest, but he cant help without damaging his team as well...

I feel you missed one character. The one who will take care of giants and spiders to bring food and goods while the others rest at a home he built and made pretty with his naked hands and never-lasting lungs. That guy who will clean your marsh from tentacles and domesticate a beefalo for each one of you by the time you chop a few trees and prepare some meatballs to fill your selfish stomach.

And he will never say a thing, even if his team mates never show enough gratitude. Because it is his will and goal to be the very best.

Absolutely cannot agree. The points made here are incredibly superficial. Let's review:

1. Wilson is a jack of all trades, master of none. Effigies are kind of inefficient as getting hearts and booster shots is easier while only imposing a health limit when you actually get revived, not all the time. His beard benefits only him if you don't use effigies.

Unless you spam Bernies. Which isn't a bad idea to farm nightmare fuel, but still can be done without Wilson.

2. Willow, whom everybody thrashes, can get everyone emergency lights even without caves made from cheap materials (gold is renewable with quakes and the pig king). Moreover she's the best scout, can go nomadic, brings truckloads of ashes and charcoal while getting free sanity, and - with beard hair - can get newbies Bernies to help with nightmares. I can't count how many times I saved some Wilson's life with the furry fellow. Her strengths are suited to people knowing what they are doing though.

3. Wolfgang is great for fighting, but ideally has some thrifty partner like Willow or WX to help him with food. Want bosses, particularly these with no insanity aura (the Goose/Goose!)? Better yet beefalos etc.? Ask Uncle Wolf. Do watch his sanity though as he depletes it fast. Also, wimpy Wolf deals half the damage and is slower. This form, however, is good for healing.

4. Wendy is good for spelunking, taking out small mobs which swarm the target like bees and separated spider dens with Abigail. Lesser sanity drain is welcome, but not game-changing.

5. WX is ideal for eating food going stale, scouting - if overcharged - tanking (if upgraded). He needs rain protection and ideally meshes with Wickerbottom: she eats fresh food in return for overcharging. WX should rush ruins for gears though, because other people will want fridges and - unless you go underground right before summer - flingos later on.

6. Wickerbottom has unique books and essentially only needs a science machine and a prestihatitator. She can't sleep, so needs healing and sanity from other sources, but these aren't that hard to get. Ideally have her with WX for 5. and Maxwell to read her books as his sanity regenerates at an absurdly high rate. Wicker greatly helps Wolfgang around farms of all kinds too.

7. Woodie has an easy time with sanity if played correctly. Pinecones in the caves? Amazing! He also gets resources fast, never has to waste flint on axes as Lucy chops faster and with no durability, aaand receives a bonus to followers. The curse in multiplayer is less useful than in DS, but still can be dealt with.

8. Wigfrid takes 25% less damage, deals 25% more, regains sanity and health by fighting, starts with arguably the best items which can be used by all, and then can craft them cheaply as the resources needed are renewable. Her only downside, apart from slightly lower stats, is eating meat, which eliminates some cheap ways of healing and restoring sanity instantly (mushrooms, cacti etc.). This is rather negligible though since you regain some just on hit, and it's possible to leech off Chester (this ought to be fixed). There are still tents. She's a good hunter, but like Wolfgang needs crockpots and racks fast. Without these, Wigfrid has a harder time regaining health, Wolfgang - sanity.

9. Webber can be self-sustaining as long as you know to stay away from normally neutral mobs like pigs or beefalos, embracing spiders instead. With enough dens, he can build a fortress (only for Webbers though) and hide in a bushhat in their midst while hounds fight with spiders. Spider queens are less of an issue with him. Arachnids in general provide all the goodies like silk, glands and monster meat - which he can eat without penalties or convert into eggs with a birdcage - with the bonus of defence. They are also easier to recruit than pigs, because their friendship is bought through AoE. One monster meat can befriend more than one spider, which isn't the case with pigs. His problem is low sanity, which can easily be offset with silk he gets anyway - tents and top hats. Webber building a base in the desert can easily gain access to cooked cacti. He gets insane fast with bosses, but any character will get insane when meleeing, say, a deerclops.

10. Maxwell is ideal for everything damaging sanity - except for fighting as he's squishy and his duelists aren't the best thing available. That's why he has to bribe pigs for protection, have tooth traps, a bushhat and at worst use ranged weapons while always wearing armour. Ideally two pieces. His strength can greatly help Wicker as he can read her books and regain sanity fast. He also competes and meshes well with Woodie when it comes to gathering wood and rocks. Shadow loggers combined with diggers chop everything down. At the same time pigs have no limits on their number - unlike puppets - and give off a massive sanity aura if you get close (which you can do while they're chopping or when they fall asleep). Personally I favour miners as that's something no follower can do. Or pigs chopping as a digger cleans up. No point in wasting sanity restoration on Max as he regenerates it rapidly on his own. He's great for spelunking, but must stay out of fights.

11. Wes secures you something beyond compare: a veteran player. Nobody sane uses Wes if they don't know the ins and outs. He also offers easy nightmare fuel farming and awesome balloons. Not to mention morale boosting.

I really cannot agree with the original post. Hence my tiny dissertation.

I agree with what you say but the question is different. I know wolfgang is a good fighter. But its not a team amplifier, while for example, wigfrid weapons are.  I am more like, what unique does each one bring to the table that is either non replicable or very hard. 

For example, wickerbottom gives you things you could already have otherwise, but in such a tremendous comfort that its awesome and incomparable. But willow burning things....well you could just do it anyway with another char and suffer a bit of damage by accident, no real benefit.

34 minutes ago, loled said:

I agree with what you say but the question is different. I know wolfgang is a good fighter. But its not a team amplifier, while for example, wigfrid weapons are.  I am more like, what unique does each one bring to the table that is either non replicable or very hard. 

For example, wickerbottom gives you things you could already have otherwise, but in such a tremendous comfort that its awesome and incomparable. But willow burning things....well you could just do it anyway with another char and suffer a bit of damage by accident, no real benefit.

As far as UNIQUE ITEMS go, you have to remove Webber, Wilson, WX, Wolfgang. Woodie has Lucy, Wendy - Abigail, Wicker - books, Maxwell - puppets, Willow - Bernie and lighters, Wes - balloons, Wigfrid - cheap fighting gear (mind you, fighting is just an optional part of the game, you can get others to fight for you). However only Wigfrid and Willow make things usable by any character. If you're looking for such elements, then you get these two outfitting the rest.

Wilson has no drawbacks, but essentially hardly gives anything back to the rest.

1 hour ago, loled said:

More like offering a unique strength, not necessarily unique item.

But Wolfgang does offer a unique strength, his ability to kite mobs easier with his slightly increased movement speed and his ability to do double damage means that others don't have to help him in combat nearly as much or at all. In general this means that people spend less time doing combat which means other things are done / wolfgangs teamates are never in danger nor lose any HP. Also, him eating food to gain hunger casually regains his HP back in small pieces so the best of wolfgangs never even have to worry about healing unless they make huge mistakes. These things are directly a buff to one specific person, but used in the correct way can help the team out passively by making it unnecessary for others to engage in combat. Now wicker has more time to read books and situate base for her books, now Woodie has more time to chop trees and isn't worrying spending double the amount of time he normally would have to to kill a tree guard because wolf is there. Just because he doesn't have a special item to hand out or some sort of power that helps people directly doesn't mean his strength at being the best at finishing combat situations quickly and efficiently makes him a lackluster team character.

On 1/14/2017 at 9:51 AM, loled said:

On Wickerbottom, there's one thing that she can give to the team that you can't get otherwise - infinite surface tentacles.

Tentacles on the surface don't respawn, and Wickerbotton is the only one make more on the surface (or anywhere). 

10 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

Her only downside, apart from slightly lower stats, is eating meat, which eliminates some cheap ways of healing and restoring sanity instantly (mushrooms, cacti, salves, poultices).

Pretty sure that Wigfrid can use salves and poultices, unless I'm missing something.

16 hours ago, loled said:

In my opinion most of them dont bring something unique. Example, wx being tanky is irrelevant, while his speed is situational unless wickerbottom. Anyway, i dont want to start a who is better, but the only unique characters in my opinion are wilson, wendy, wicker and wigfrid. Because they can benefit each others. While for example others can be strong, but in a solo way. Ex wolfgang kills things very fast...it means without him you just need more heal food and weapons. But for example wigfrid, fights less, but the whole team needs less inventory for armor.

Or webber can solo giants in seconds with his nest, but he cant help without damaging his team as well...

I think that they are designed to bring something unique to the team, but not something physical/item. As every character excels in different field. Wolfgang strong in fighting, Wigfrid strong in support fighting, WX strong in exploring (speed/tank/eating spoil food is really op in exploring, you can just go out of base for 20 days without coming back to base), Wilson strong in winter (tam o + full beard is sufficient for whole day) and balance, Webber strong in silk farming (spider war), Woodie strong in log farming, Maxwell strong in doing repeating stuff (chop/mine) and sanity is not a problem (tam o can reserve for others). Wendy strong in fighting mass weaker enemy. Willow strong at farming/helping nightmare fuel (bernie). Wickerbottom strong at farming food/bird/tentacle. Wes strong in giving challenge.

If you have a team that consists of every single character, it will be really fun and easy to survive, because everyone has their own role. The characters are stronger in certain field, stronger in different stage of the game (some strong in early days, some strong in later days), but does not mean they are a must in a team.

5 hours ago, HutGenerator said:

I think that they are designed to bring something unique to the team, but not something physical/item. As every character excels in different field. Wolfgang strong in fighting, Wigfrid strong in support fighting, WX strong in exploring (speed/tank/eating spoil food is really op in exploring, you can just go out of base for 20 days without coming back to base), Wilson strong in winter (tam o + full beard is sufficient for whole day) and balance, Webber strong in silk farming (spider war), Woodie strong in log farming, Maxwell strong in doing repeating stuff (chop/mine) and sanity is not a problem (tam o can reserve for others). Wendy strong in fighting mass weaker enemy. Willow strong at farming/helping nightmare fuel (bernie). Wickerbottom strong at farming food/bird/tentacle. Wes strong in giving challenge.

If you have a team that consists of every single character, it will be really fun and easy to survive, because everyone has their own role. The characters are stronger in certain field, stronger in different stage of the game (some strong in early days, some strong in later days), but does not mean they are a must in a team.

This. Although I still think Wes brings veterans too.

10 hours ago, NeddoFreddo said:

Pretty sure that Wigfrid can use salves and poultices, unless I'm missing something.

Thank you, corrected!

Every one of Wickerbottom's books has an important function for the team

Applied Horticulture: Faster tree growth, faster farm growth

Sleepytime Stories: Put enemies to sleep such as Mctusk, Hounds or Giants. Bait rabbits to a single trapped powdercake, put them to sleep and kill them with an axe for beardhair. Use with birds of the world. I Emphasize the use on Mctusk, makes the fight much much easier.

Birds of the World: Use twice, then use with sleepytime stories to put birds to sleep for easy morsels. Can even whack one with a hammer if you want to kidnap a bird for birdcage.

End is Nigh: Only useful with WX, but WX's overload buff duration stacks (unless it's been patched), so if you summon like 40 lightning bolts, it gives WX 40 days of speed unless he dies during this time. Just make sure not to do it near anything flammable or near lightning rods and pack extra health when you do this.

On Tentacles:

• The only way to renew tentacles and arm allies with tentacle spikes.
  • Can be used for fighting. Just bring a book and lure mobs into it.
  • Use on Beefalo and get tonnes of loot along with winter equipment (especially useful early on)
  • Make an artificial swamp and lure hounds and giants into it. Kind of a poor man's tooth trap but also more effective in some ways.
  • Can be used for certain farms. Place next to hound mounds or spider dens.
  • Just be aware not to kill yourself with this book and that it can't attack frogs and doesn't aggro on bees.

I also really like WX78 because it can eat her spoiled food + the aforementioned speed boost. Wolfgang and Wiggy because they fight really well and Wiggy can arm her allies. Wendy can kill with AOE, useful vs spiders and bees. And I haven't ever played with a good Webber, but I'm sure that free monster meat would be good with my pigcentric playstyle.

1 hour ago, SimonL said:

unless it's been patched)

It has, its less time now as each consecutive bolt has diminishing charge addition. It still works though, as long as you get charged by a friendly wicker every few days. WX can also overcharge himself for a day at will, using the telelocator staff.

Webber's definately not the best boss fighter: his sanity quickly depletes and starts getting attacked by shadows, and bosses like bearger with aoe attacks destroy in one hit even the largest spider army.

However, webber has another (besides the meat silk and glands farming at huge speed) often overlooked  awesome skill: spider queens neutrality. With extensive spider farming you can learn the queens spawning timings, and they can kill really big things that spider armies can't, or give a black eye to giants, to make your way easier wih them. I can't count how many times they saved my life.

Another interesting thing: Woodie as a beaver can be a great cheap cave explorer and find the ruins as early as day 3(my current record), as the beaver has permanent nightvision and can "feed" by nibbling rocks or trees. It has high risk as you will get to 0 sanity nearly instantly, but if you get yourself a stack of pinecones (for when you decide to go back to human get sane fast) and dodge the shadow creatures on your way, you can just stick to explore, then leave, go back to human and get full sanity in a matter of seconds.

2 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

It has, its less time now as each consecutive bolt has diminishing charge addition. It still works though, as long as you get charged by a friendly wicker every few days. WX can also overcharge himself for a day at will, using the telelocator staff.

Webber's definately not the best boss fighter: his sanity quickly depletes and starts getting attacked by shadows, and bosses like bearger with aoe attacks destroy in one hit even the largest spider army.

However, webber has another (besides the meat silk and glands farming at huge speed) often overlooked  awesome skill: spider queens neutrality. With extensive spider farming you can learn the queens spawning timings, and they can kill really big things that spider armies can't, or give a black eye to giants, to make your way easier wih them. I can't count how many times they saved my life.

Another interesting thing: Woodie as a beaver can be a great cheap cave explorer and find the ruins as early as day 3(my current record), as the beaver has permanent nightvision and can "feed" by nibbling rocks or trees. It has high risk as you will get to 0 sanity nearly instantly, but if you get yourself a stack of pinecones (for when you decide to go back to human get sane fast) and dodge the shadow creatures on your way, you can just stick to explore, then leave, go back to human and get full sanity in a matter of seconds.

Thanks for letting me know about the overcharge. Also I never thought of Woodie as an explorer, that's a great idea.

On January 21, 2017 at 5:50 PM, ShadowDuelist said:

Impractical because you can't use nor explore map. And whats the point if you're not collecting stuff in the ruins?

2 hours ago, Begeesy said:

Impractical because you can't use nor explore map. And whats the point if you're not collecting stuff in the ruins?

Werebeaver Woodie does in fact uncover parts of the map he explores, but just can't open it.

You can uncover the whole map, or at least it's borders. After that, you can easily come back later knowing the whole layout, ready for anything that's going to be in your way. Such as clockworks. Or monkeys. Or spiders. You also won't be wasting food and time actually exploring as a human, since Werebeaver Woodie barely ever needs food (idk how fast his wood meter depletes but I know it's extremely slow cuz I played him once) and has night vision. One could miss things in the dark that would make a trip much shorter than it would be.

1 hour ago, Electroely said:

Werebeaver Woodie does in fact uncover parts of the map he explores, but just can't open it.

You can uncover the whole map, or at least it's borders. After that, you can easily come back later knowing the whole layout, ready for anything that's going to be in your way. Such as clockworks. Or monkeys. Or spiders. You also won't be wasting food and time actually exploring as a human, since Werebeaver Woodie barely ever needs food (idk how fast his wood meter depletes but I know it's extremely slow cuz I played him once) and has night vision. One could miss things in the dark that would make a trip much shorter than it would be.

Sorry i had to do it again

Safe? He has 187 effective hp if he shares the same armor as single player. May seem alot to some but that's 4 terrorbeak hits considering that he can't heal, always insane, and in the ruins, it's kinda a big deal. Now imagine being in the maze lost with that health. 'Maze' not referring to the maze near the ancient guardian, but the whole cave system.

When I rush the ruins, I always make sure I stock on basic resources, armor, healing not to mention FOOD which is easy in the first place and fits in the same category as healing. I actually wanna get s*** done in ruins; I'm not just for the visit.

10 hours ago, Begeesy said:

Safe? He has 187 effective hp if he shares the same armor as single player. May seem alot to some but that's 4 terrorbeak hits considering that he can't heal, always insane, and in the ruins, it's kinda a big deal. Now imagine being in the maze lost with that health. 'Maze' not referring to the maze near the ancient guardian, but the whole cave system.

When I rush the ruins, I always make sure I stock on basic resources, armor, healing not to mention FOOD which is easy in the first place and fits in the same category as healing. I actually wanna get s*** done in ruins; I'm not just for the visit.

Pretty sure this is possible. I have seen some pro woodie pull this off before. I kinda know how to do this in mind but I have never try this out myself. If I got time to try it out I may record it and post it here. For now this is how I foresee it:

Wear a logsuit, get grass, twigs, 2~3 torches, axe, pinecone, flint. Go to the cave and collect some blue/green cap. Turn werebeaver and find/expore the maze. When you get there, depending on how many shadows were tailing you, you may quickly gnaw some random things or gnaw a shadow or two to death. Or you may have to run around abit until the shadow creatures leave you alone. After that just plant some trees or eat some mushrooms as needed, then start looting the chests. Once done, cut down some trees/banana trees to quickly turn werebeaver and get out of there.

In regard to good spelunkers (on top of WX AFTER he's upgraded himself with gears): Wendy, Maxwell, Willow and Woodie. These folks lose less sanity, regenerate it fast or can easily regain it (Willow and Woodie - fire and pinecones!). On servers of six, add Webber if you want spiders and nightmare fuel farming, and of course WX. And you can wave goodbye to the surface except for things like hound teeth.

6 hours ago, Mday said:

Pretty sure this is possible. I have seen some pro woodie pull this off before. I kinda know how to do this in mind but I have never try this out myself. If I got time to try it out I may record it and post it here. For now this is how I foresee it:

Wear a logsuit, get grass, twigs, 2~3 torches, axe, pinecone, flint. Go to the cave and collect some blue/green cap. Turn werebeaver and find/expore the maze. When you get there, depending on how many shadows were tailing you, you may quickly gnaw some random things or gnaw a shadow or two to death. Or you may have to run around abit until the shadow creatures leave you alone. After that just plant some trees or eat some mushrooms as needed, then start looting the chests. Once done, cut down some trees/banana trees to quickly turn werebeaver and get out of there.

So it just off it being possible makes it applicable for being the best? I never said was it was impossible. compare this to WX

Have premade science tier 2 and magic tier 1 and rush armor and living logs with basic resources. You don't need to worry about stats because gears are plentiful in ruins. After you get 3 purple gems from ruins go to the overworld to charge yourself to 1.5x speed, putting beaver's speed in shame. After you go back to the caves, you can basically live there, collecting everything your heart desire. And thanks to the logs you collected, you can duplicate thulicite as you please.

For those whining about the time of prep required, I once rushed both teir 2 magic and science at beginning of day 5 but let's say you're not good as me at rushing. That's when his immunity to freezing when overcharged and no stale penalty (if you decide not to solely eat gears) perks comes in.

17 hours ago, Begeesy said:

That's great and all but t2 magic is purely RNG, if you're unlucky and you don't find a totally normal tree or treeguard then you're not going to be rushing supercharge nearly as fast as a Woodie could locate ruins. Yes its more than possible to rush these things as early as you say but if you want a guaranteed "do it ASAP" method Woodie is the closest thing there is. I truly believe that WX is the best ruins raider but I've been in plenty of games where woodies have gone into the ruins with the bare necessities and pinged a thulecite crown around day 5. Other than this he really doesn't have anything major going for him besides his increased chopping speed (which with Waxwell now being playable has a bit of competition in terms of who is better) and maybe the minion time increase if you're doing super large scale woodcutting with pigs. This combined with the fact that we have the ability to copy maps and give them to others I can't see why Woodie is vastly inferior when it comes to scouting the ruins fast, especially in terms of most play sessions where people play till maybe the end of winter and then leave, this saves a lot of time for others and its because of how early he is capable of doing it in comparison to WX that it is considered at all.

Imagine that a group of players wants to clear the ruins as fast as possible, a Woodie can go underground and locate the beginning of ruins while the rest are gathering actual supplies to go into the ruins later, and once he finds the ruins he can copy his map over to his allies and later they can go in all together with whatever supplies they feel necessary. Maybe by then the WX will have the ability to overcharge and because he now knows exactly where the ruins are he wastes no time by maximizing all of his charge in the ruins.

1 hour ago, Begeesy said:

So it just off it being possible makes it applicable for being the best? I never said was it was impossible

Of course there are many ways to accomplish the same things. Technically speaking, it probably isn't best way, but rushing on day 2 to a cave as a beaver and start running around like a maniac, is challenging, dangerous, and a lot of fun.

As it was mentioned before, if you survived the crazy trip, you will have a big advantage when you decide to actually go exploring with equipment or friends, since most of the underworld map will be explored for you, and you will know most of the cave's exits as well. I started doing this because I like living in caves, and I like knowing where is the best place to set base.

Also Woodie's "real" hunger meter does not decrease while you are in werebeaver form, meaning that you don't really need "human" food for the first days. His log meter decreases very slowly, and can be recharged by simply nibbling on objects, such as rocks or mushtrees, essentially alowing you to explore for as much as you can survive dodging shadow creatures.

Archived