abigail and fire damage

could you take this out it was a cool tactic to not have abby be burned to death

she also doesnt show her pain animation

if this stays at least make it so she  trys

to gets out of it this really messes with abigail's game play and makes her pretty much useless against fire hounds as their burst fire does so much

besides ghosts are ethereal and shouldnt be hurt by fire

this post explains it a lot better than i did on why this should be reverted so give him some love down below

29 minutes ago, Billiscool said:

I play as Wendy a lot and I think the fire damage was a step in the wrong direction, Abigail already has a big amount of drawbacks, such as:

• If you're anywhere within 1 astronomical unit of a tentacle, Abigail will get upset and suicide on it.
  • Abigail loves to attack passive treeguards for no reason and also suicide on them.
  • Ranged targeting was removed, which is kind of a bummer.
  • Having to compensate for so many drawbacks by crafting several flowers will eat up your inventory space.
  • Since Abigail's ambient sounds have such a long range, It is nearly impossible to sneak past players in a PVP situation or avoid people in general.
  • Abigail will kill any moles you try to hammer + pick up.

If anything, Abigail needs some love in certain aspects, It can be infuriating to play as Wendy at times.

2 hours ago, EsaiXD said:

could you take this out it was a cool tactic to not have abby be burned to death

she also doesnt show her pain animation

if this stays at least make it so she  trys

to gets out of it

If I remember correctly, Maxwell's puppets share the same issue. And while we're on the topic of Abigail and puppets, can we pleaseeeeeeeeeeee make them not get in the way of placing structures like the pets? I don't think Abigail is much of a problem, but Maxwell's puppets sure are.

2 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

If I remember correctly, Maxwell's puppets share the same issue. And while we're on the topic of Abigail and puppets, can we pleaseeeeeeeeeeee make them not get in the way of placing structures like the pets? I don't think Abigail is much of a problem, but Maxwell's puppets sure are.

she slightly is but mostly in tree planting or other resource planting

• Developer
39 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

This was already added to Maxwell's puppets and Abigail shortly after pets.

I play as Wendy a lot and I think the fire damage was a step in the wrong direction, Abigail already has a big amount of drawbacks, such as:

• If you're anywhere within 1 astronomical unit of a tentacle, Abigail will get upset and suicide on it.
  • Abigail loves to attack passive treeguards for no reason and also suicide on them.
  • Ranged targeting was removed, which is kind of a bummer.
  • Having to compensate for so many drawbacks by crafting several flowers will eat up your inventory space.
  • Since Abigail's ambient sounds have such a long range, It is nearly impossible to sneak past players in a PVP situation or avoid people in general.
  • Abigail will kill any moles you try to hammer + pick up.

If anything, Abigail needs some love in certain aspects, It can be infuriating to play as Wendy at times.

1 hour ago, V2C said:

This was already added to Maxwell's puppets and Abigail shortly after pets.

Wait, it was? I guess I missed that in one of the latest changelogs. I'm currently using Wolfgang so I didn't notice the change ingame. Well thank you guys for that! That's gonna make life a lot easier when I return to using Maxwell.

1 hour ago, EsaiXD said:

but could you take that effect off please

it ruins alot of strategies employed by those characters

Wait, what? When is it that puppets and Abigail getting in the way of building a good thing? Seriously. I want to know. It was always highly obnoxious. There's even been a few occasions I'd dismiss my puppets just because I was doing a lot of building and they kept getting in the way.

21 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Wait, what? When is it that puppets and Abigail getting in the way of building a good thing? Seriously. I want to know. It was always highly obnoxious. There's even been a few occasions I'd dismiss my puppets just because I was doing a lot of building and they kept getting in the way.

I think esai skimmed through the text a little bit and assumed v2c meant "shadow minions are also affected by fire damage", Minor miscommunication. :>

I think everybody loves the "abigail and shadow minions no longer get in the way of structure placement" thing, only a fool would say no to that. (I want to marry whoever fixed this.)

35 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Wait, it was? I guess I missed that in one of the latest changelogs. I'm currently using Wolfgang so I didn't notice the change ingame. Well thank you guys for that! That's gonna make life a lot easier when I return to using Maxwell.

yeah i was talking about the fire damage stuff instead of the building thing im not a base builder myself so the fire dmg part affects me more as a player since i do encompass fire in my fighting strategies since abigail didnt take damage from it you would do an amazing amount of damage also if the mob could be fire locked it also gave me a use for the fire rod since fire as a weapon against mobs is so pitiful now its not even an avenue to venture on but since the discovery of fire stunlocking its being used a lot more least in my eyes

and now since this update it got thrown away such new tech too and not just exploits

3 hours ago, V2C said:

Hmm, we didn't intend to change Abigail in any of the recent updates.  We'll take a look at this XD

She always took fire damage in Singleplayer all these years. As a Wendy main, I always liked that she took fire damage, and that she aggro's onto things that she's guaranteed to lose too. Helps players learn to fight for themselves, where they might have (traditionally in Singleplayer) forgotten how to fight without her. Removing the handicap you know? Teaches people who have been sucked into a 'Wendy Only' mindset that Abigail is not the only way to fight, Wendy has arms you know?

Personally I want to keep the fire damage.

My main problem with this is something said in the first post of this thread--she "doesn't show her pain animation" when hurt by fire. Wait.  WHAT?  No.  I haven't played as Wendy in a good while so I don't know, but if that's actually true, it definitely seems like an actual flaw and not an intended feature.  This game may be cruel sometimes but it IS at least really good about indicating status changes.  She can keep the damage, but make absolutely sure the player _knows_ what's going on.  They may not be able to DO anything about it, but they should at least know.

....aaaand if that's actually wrong and Abigail DOES show that she's taking damage when in a fire, nevermindthen. : P

...Notorious

I honestly don't see the problem. From a gameplay standpoint it would make it easier because you could take out fire hounds so you only need to worry about giants. From a lore standpoint it makes no sense. I mean if ghosts can be hurt by punching them why shouldn't fire hurt them too? Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see the problem.

1 hour ago, isthisworkingnow said:

I honestly don't see the problem. From a gameplay standpoint it would make it easier because you could take out fire hounds so you only need to worry about giants. From a lore standpoint it makes no sense. I mean if ghosts can be hurt by punching them why shouldn't fire hurt them too? Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see the problem.

After a year or two, Abigail cannot protect you against the hound attacks, where ther are 8-10 hounds at the same time on you. Maybe during the night, but in the day she gets killed quite fast. 

But yes, it's logical that if a ghost can be hit, it can be inured by fire too. Personally I'd like to be the fire damage removed, but at least she could try to avoid it (like Maxwell's puppets, I think they already do that), because standing in the flames and dying to them just because you're already dead isn't too logical. 

4 hours ago, fimmatek said:

like Maxwell's puppets, I think they already do that), because standing in the flames and dying to them just because you're already dead isn't too logical. 

but that's the thing she doesn't move from the flames or have any indication that she is taking damage tbh I only knew that she was impervious in together since in normal don't starve her strength alone is enough to overcome all the monsters since their hp is a lot less than it is in together hence why the fire strat never really came about unless for other characters. abigail taking 10 hits to kill a warrior in together at night is a lot different than the ones in standard dont starve which take five and aren't as much a threat.

6 hours ago, fimmatek said:

but at least she could try to avoid it (like Maxwell's puppets, I think they already do that)

While I admit it's been a very long time since I've had puppets around fire, I seem to remember having one just stand in a fire for a little bit.

"Oh, they're immune to fire? That's pretty neat." *puppet dies* "Wait, what? So the workers are pretty good at keeping away from enemies but if there's fire involved they'll just stand there and take it?"

I'd personally prefer them to avoid fires instead of complete immunity. I don't care if you're a mindless puppet or already dead, you should at least have some basic preservation skills if something as simple as fire is hurting you.

I concur the primary issue here is the fact no hurt animation is played or attempt made to avoid fire damage whilst Abigail is subject to her 'baptism of fire'. As a near sole Wendy player bringing back her prior fire immunity/ANY BUFFS is something to be desired. If Abigail can in the least actively avoid the sources of most damage (Primarily Red hounds, Dragonfly Larvae Dying/Enraged DF and PVP situations) then it's something 'Wendy players can realistically easily perceive as an issue and ensure they plan to work around the threat' Something that I think is the embodiment of DS/DST as a series.

Archived