ScienceMachine

4 hours ago, ScienceMachine said:

I would start a story thread to fix this problem.

A repository for your tidbits sounds good. What do you normally use as your notebook?

1 hour ago, ScienceMachine said:

Here's some concept pages, but I'm also just as tempted to write it all down rather than draw it out.

Ch01p001.png

Ch01p002.png

The BEACH!!!

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

Is that WX trapped in a hole?:wilson_ecstatic:

"LOOKS FINE TO ME" - @ScienceMachine  a few pages ago XD.

1 hour ago, ScienceMachine said:

I'm p sure those are Evergreen pines, Aslesienne. :v They don't grow near the beaches last I checked.

The Baltic Sea, Science. Chock-full of those. Can't avoid them on the coast. Given I'm still here, I can take photos if you want. They make for excellent references for trees.

2 hours ago, ScienceMachine said:

I mean, I know this exists, but I meant in the context of the game itself. Last I checked, there's no pines in Shipwrecked, and no palms in the base game.

You can move most things through the Seaworthy (also, mods - Multi-Worlds DST...), but it's not the point. Storytelling knows no boundaries as long as you keep immersion. You need to know how your world works to construct new ones, so being aware of how coastal biomes thrive, I can convincingly convey them even in the DS setting.

48 minutes ago, ScienceMachine said:

Shipwreck update: Died on the 9th day from snake venom. Couldn't find venom sack things in time to cure it. Not that I even had corals to make it with anyway.

I wanna give you a tip that'll help you in a big way but I'll just tell you that you can eat venom glands to get rid of poison at the cost of like a ton of hp.

31 minutes ago, ScienceMachine said:

Eeeh, I was already dying at that point, eating a whole venom gland would've killed me either way.

Well if you eat a venom gland with low hp it shouldn't kill if I recall correctly, but I haven't played Shipwrecked in forever so I wouldn't know most changes.

12 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

Why is it so rewarding to see other people's OCs get shanked for a change? I swear Science's nice art is just the icing on the cake.

Probably cause one self doesn't want to harm his own OCs. At least for the most part. It's sort of the idea of powerfantasies where people create characters that obviously out do themself in physical or mental abilities. And of course do we want to see these characters win so some people are very hesitant to harm their own OCs.

Buuut they obviously overlook the big part of what makes a good character aka flaws and failures. Cause no one likes Mary/Gary Stues it's a boring character trait that needs to die.

So in short it's satisfying cause not everyone would deliberatly harm on OC of his own so seeing others do it is refreshing.

27 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

Probably cause one self doesn't want to harm his own OCs. At least for the most part. It's sort of the idea of powerfantasies where people create characters that obviously out do themself in physical or mental abilities. And of course do we want to see these characters win so some people are very hesitant to harm their own OCs.

Buuut they obviously overlook the big part of what makes a good character aka flaws and failures. Cause no one likes Mary/Gary Stues it's a boring character trait that needs to die.

So in short it's satisfying cause not everyone would deliberatly harm on OC of his own so seeing others do it is refreshing.

Honest? You don't make characters to see how they react to things going pear-shaped???

Blame it on working in letters and being a bookworm, but for me, it's always about making a flawed guy and putting them through all kinds of ghastly. Pretty much everyone makes "bigger, prettier, faster, stronger" characters. It doesn't work for me. Mine are sickly, ugly, insecure, impoverished, despised, experiencing difficulties with controlling their lives, losing their things, biting their nails, picking their noses. You CAN enjoy reading about heroes, but those are a dime a dozen. I prefer screwed. It's all about pushing them down and letting them get up, over and over again.

I harm my creations. And make no secret of that. If I didn't, they would never have a chance to stand on their own. It's like with children: for their sake, you have to let go of their hands at some point.

27 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

Honest? You don't make characters to see how they react to things going pear-shaped???

Blame it on working in letters and being a bookworm, but for me, it's always about making a flawed guy and putting them through all kinds of ghastly. Pretty much everyone makes "bigger, prettier, faster, stronger" characters. It doesn't work for me. Mine are sickly, ugly, insecure, impoverished, despised, experiencing difficulties with controlling their lives, losing their things, biting their nails, picking their noses. You CAN enjoy reading about heroes, but those are a dime a dozen. I prefer screwed. It's all about pushing them down and letting them get up, over and over again.

I harm my creations. And make no secret of that. If I didn't, they would never have a chance to stand on their own. It's like with children: for their sake, you have to let go of their hands at some point.

We do this because we as consumers of stories, enjoy an underdog narrative. You see it in almost every bit of fiction.

We don't just make stories to see our characters win, but our characters to struggle first, knocked down a peg only to see them climb up higher than before- and then win.

The biggest major flaw in Sues is that they didn't earn their win, they didn't get knocked around only to watch them climb back up again, they skip the whole forge of trials and straight pass the final boss. And even then, they miss out the most important bit: Being human. Usually, a lot of heroes in the underdog narrative don't actually become better humans, they don't become Godlike or even unstoppable, just better people.

In the story of Hercules, his Godhood was half-removed, and despite being a Sue through and through, he didn't earn his place in Olympus by just being a Sue, he fought not just with his muscles but with his own inner demons and finally, sacrificing himself to save whom he loved, only to throw away the ultimate prize just to be with her.

We weave these stories not to see heroes win, but to go on an adventure; cheer them on when they struggle, jeering them for being tempted, crying when they suffer-

We want to enjoy an underdog narrative.

10 minutes ago, ScienceMachine said:

We do this because we as consumers of stories, enjoy an underdog narrative. You see it in almost every bit of fiction.

We don't just make stories to see our characters win, but our characters to struggle first, knocked down a peg only to see them climb up higher than before- and then win.

The biggest major flaw in Sues is that they didn't earn their win, they didn't get knocked around only to watch them climb back up again, they skip the whole forge of trials and straight pass the final boss. And even then, they miss out the most important bit: Being human. Usually, a lot of heroes in the underdog narrative don't actually become better humans, they don't become Godlike or even unstoppable, just better people.

In the story of Hercules, his Godhood was half-removed, and despite being a Sue through and through, he didn't earn his place in Olympus by just being a Sue, he fought not just with his muscles but with his own inner demons and finally, sacrificing himself to save whom he loved, only to throw away the ultimate prize just to be with her.

We weave these stories not to see heroes win, but to go on an adventure; cheer them on when they struggle, jeering them for being tempted, crying when they suffer-

We want to enjoy an underdog narrative.

Ditto.

It's also a matter of perspective: we write and tell stories tailored to our size. As I'm very flawed, I'm remarkably better-suited to writing flaw-rife characters. Oh, and deconstructing literary tropes.

9 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

It's also a matter of perspective: we write and tell stories tailored to our size. As I'm very flawed, I'm remarkably better-suited to writing flaw-rife characters. Oh, and deconstructing literary tropes.

Personally I like the random entropy that happens in every Discworld novel, and somehow it all simmering down and becoming a-okay in the end, or even better than before.

I'm a person who has ... very cleverly hidden insecurities about what I perceive is "true" or "real", classic nihilism, especially in matters of the self, cultural norms and religious values. So, all my characters have similar issues, being confronted in what they thought had been the norm all their life, questioning the very stereotype they embody and reevaluating what they had deem "true" all along, bettering themselves in the process.

Archived