The good, the bad, and the Willow

13 minutes ago, PanAzej said:

You act as if it was near impossible to do any changes, but it's not.

Coding new things is not that hard (I mostly mean character changes, like some numbers, few new mechanics and whatnot). Assets are already there.

Of course, you gotta discuss what changes need to be made. That's why we are brainstorming some iterations and complain.

Klei developers read these forums, so why not question some things to make the game better? We ***** about these things because we care and love the game, we want it to offer the best experience possible.

I am not saying that it is impossible. I know the coding itself is not that hard.

I just think people should not be so harsh towards Klei. There is nothing wrong with wanting to see a certain change and pushing for it, but sometimes people expect way too much in a short time (in addition to calling the game rubbish and whatnot). Give Klei some slack and let's keep it fun for everyone. I am sure they are doing their best.

And reminding Klei about a certain change that you would like to see is OK in my opinion, but I think it is not right to decide for them how much time they are allowed to take to implement a change. It is generally not appreciated, I can assure you.

Just try to keep in mind that they are only humans like the rest of us.

11 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

2) Tbh, having an "on the go" cooking mechanic is useless af. Why? It's not "on the go"; you still have to play a stopping animation for cooking things. The only thing that you're not doing that consumes time is another extra animation which actually would craft a campfire, so really it's useless, unless you can cook whilst running, though lets be honest, devs won't do that neither in terms of animation nor in terms of mechanics. Though, perhaps it could be there anyway...? Wait, lose hp from cooking on the lighter?! That would make it the worst mechanic ever! If none resorts to campfires already, they sure would then if they have to pay with health just to cook something. I think that, based on what @CaptainChaotica said, that Willow can cook and use lighter perhaps without it losing durability, whilst for other characters it would lose durability for both events.

Well, that's a scrapped mechanic. Cooking at any time is not so bad, after all you don't lose any resources (it's so hard to get wood and grass, c'mon) /s

13 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

3) Emm... Perhaps that could be useful, though that would mean you'd have to burn things in order to refuel it, turning EVERYBODY who uses a lighter into a Pyromaniac

This mechanic would be Willow-only. Just a little idea though. Just like with the cold fires thing I wrote.

I'd like something new for Willow. Because she doesn't work right now, and even if we buffed her, she still wouldn't be as good as others, cooperation-wise.

Ability to make a fire anytime with no resources? Her presence affecting nearby fires? Ability to cook on burning trees/structures? Ability to manipulate temperature with her pyrokinetic skills?

The possibilities are endless. Gotta find a perk in-character that would work and make her amazing in some area, but not give too much of griefing potential. And not overpowered. Which can be kinda hard.

Or we can resort to things we already have. Dunno. Maybe reverting a few nerfs will make the players happy, and that's it.

7 minutes ago, Joachim said:

I am not saying that it is impossible. I know the coding itself is not that hard.

I just think people should not be so harsh towards Klei. There is nothing wrong with wanting to see a certain change and pushing for it, but sometimes people expect way too much in a short time (in addition to calling the game rubbish and whatnot). Give Klei some slack and let's keep it fun for everyone. I am sure they are doing their best.

And reminding Klei about a certain change that you would like to see is OK in my opinion, but I think it is not right to decide for them how much time they are allowed to take to implement a change. It is generally not appreciated, I can assure you.

Just try to keep in mind that they are only humans like the rest of us.

Dunno, I never directly complained about Klei here.

I complain about questionable decisions, though. I play and modded the game a lot (over 1700 hrs in-game and over 350 hrs modding) and I can see the problems that exist, so I say what I can see. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. But I'd like to contribute with some of my "knowledge".

11 minutes ago, PanAzej said:

Well, that's a scrapped mechanic. Cooking at any time is not so bad, after all you don't lose any resources (it's so hard to get wood and grass, c'mon) /s

This mechanic would be Willow-only. Just a little idea though. Just like with the cold fires thing I wrote.

I'd like something new for Willow. Because she doesn't work right now, and even if we buffed her, she still wouldn't be as good as others, cooperation-wise.

Ability to make a fire anytime with no resources? Her presence affecting nearby fires? Ability to cook on burning trees/structures? Ability to manipulate temperature with her pyrokinetic skills?

The possibilities are endless. Gotta find a perk in-character that would work and make her amazing in some area, but not give too much of griefing potential. And not overpowered. Which can be kinda hard.

Or we can resort to things we already have. Dunno. Maybe reverting a few nerfs will make the players happy, and that's it.

1) But you do lose resources when cooking via the lighter, technically, because it requires like 4 petals, 1 gold and a rope (the same 3 geass) to craft.

2) Okay then, although that would make it OP and kind of unbalanced... Wait, Willow only? If she has a lighter and doesn't lose durability when using it, what use would this have? And I get what you wanted with the cold fires, but this would have a lot of work and logic to go throughsimply for something new exclusively to Willow, so I don't think devs themselves would even consider trying this as it's just too much work and ultimately might even be pointless to implement. Ehh... Idk anymore...

3) ... This is why I suggested that Bernie can kill and damage nightmares... Trust me, it wouldn't be OP, especially if you compare it with what other characters bring to the table. It would even suit her, if you take the quote from her Triumphant head skin "Shadows are just inverted flames" or something like that, can't really recall the exact quote.

4) That too (e.g. Bringing back fire immunity).

49 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

1) But you do lose resources when cooking via the lighter, technically, because it requires like 4 petals, 1 gold and a rope (the same 3 geass) to craft.

Yeah, but you can move out from your base and don't need to make a new fire to just cook something.

2) Okay then, although that would make it OP and kind of unbalanced... Wait, Willow only? If she has a lighter and doesn't lose durability when using it, what use would this have?

That would be a thing if we kept Lighter's durability mechanic.

3) ... This is why I suggested that Bernie can kill and damage nightmares... Trust me, it wouldn't be OP, especially if you compare it with what other characters bring to the table. It would even suit her, if you take the quote from her Triumphant head skin "Shadows are just inverted flames" or something like that, can't really recall the exact quote.

The problem is - it's not her. Willow doesn't do anything, she just stands in the background, meanwhile the shadows farm themselves. Just like her sanity gain from nearby fires, it doesn't need any actual player input to work, and that's boring.

WX needs to fight to get his upgrades, Woodie manually chops trees, Wolfgang and Wigfrid are stronger/tankier so fighting with them is fun.

Maybe fire should deal increased damage to shadows. Maybe that would make Willow better? Willow, the ultimate nightmare fuel farmer?

Well, that's always a better niche than a thing she currently has.

5 hours ago, PanAzej said:

Yeah, but you can move out from your base and don't need to make a new fire to just cook something.

It's 100 uses total in terms of cooking, so, could plopping down a campfire and adding no additional fuel at all cook you 100 things at least? I bet it could. And the plopping down only takes like... 3 - 5 seconds? Are you going to be bothering to pick/keep petals and waste gold instead of 2 logs (the grass amount is the same, though you do waste the time to make the rope) to get things cooked? It's a waste, honestly.

That would be a thing if we kept Lighter's durability mechanic.

The idea I and some others proposed was: "lighter won't lose durability whilst Willow is using it, but will lose durability whilst everyone else is uding it". I'm guessing you were talking about it being only Willow-specific and having no durability and not being craftable?

The problem is - it's not her. Willow doesn't do anything, she just stands in the background, meanwhile the shadows farm themselves. Just like her sanity gain from nearby fires, it doesn't need any actual player input to work, and that's boring.

WX needs to fight to get his upgrades, Woodie manually chops trees, Wolfgang and Wigfrid are stronger/tankier so fighting with them is fun.

Maybe fire should deal increased damage to shadows. Maybe that would make Willow better? Willow, the ultimate nightmare fuel farmer?

Well, that's always a better niche than a thing she currently has.

But it IS her; SHE's the one who needs to go insane and maintain her warmth. And if none is around to take care of her Bear, SHE would be the one who would need to repair him every now and then. Because to just kill one terror beak, based on the mechanics I previously described, it would take 300 health just to kill ONE Crawling Horror and 400 to kill ONE Terror Beak (I'm... actually thinking this would generally be underpowered. Perhaps him killing them with one bite or so wasn't that bad of an idea after all). So, lets say the Bear starts out with 1000 hp and you can get extra 5000 max from one sewing kit. That's 6000 hp (and that's only the first time, it'll be 5000 every consecutive time, unless you craft a new Bernie each time). How many nightmares would he kill with that? Like 20 max if you're lucky and they're all Crawling Horrors? And you need to maintain it. And if a nightmare doesn't die upon him getting to 0% durability, welp, you've a nightmare to deal with as Willow HERSELF, unless your friends come to help you.

As for the fire thing... How would that even work? Fire... How would she throw fire at them? Like actually throw it? O.o

2 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

It's 100 uses total in terms of cooking, so, could plopping down a campfire and adding no additional fuel at all cook you 100 things at least? I bet it could. And the plopping down only takes like... 3 - 5 seconds? Are you going to be bothering to pick/keep petals and waste gold instead of 2 logs (the grass amount is the same, though you do waste the time to make the rope) to get things cooked? It's a waste, honestly.

Are you serious? That costs basically nothing, because all those materials are super common. The gold is never ending, flowers always regrow and are almost everywhere, also it's pretty cheap to make the rope. You can go anywhere and cook on travels, it gives light (and looks great too :p ), it's a TOTAL WASTE putting campfires everywhere, when you dont even cook much, also you can just burn a tree or something for warmth. Its meant for Willow, not other any character, others has it more as a pocket light source and fire, but she can actually cook with it, which is wayyyy better than a campfire, which slows down the travel process, so as for Willow the cost is better than making a campfire. Also it's a Don't Starve Together, if you want something, you can always ask a nice friendly Willow to cook things on your travels together :)

Cooked food spoils faster, and cooking 'refreshes' your food (cooked food is never stale right after cooking). And you can cook a bit of your stack of food anytime you want, either if you're hungry or your friend got a piece of meat and you can't be bothered to make a campfire, because reasons.

The idea I and some others proposed was: "lighter won't lose durability whilst Willow is using it, but will lose durability whilst everyone else is uding it". I'm guessing you were talking about it being only Willow-specific and having no durability and not being craftable?

I had a blob of ideas in my head. The Lighter could be infinite for Willow or have durability. Being only Willow-specific and uncraftable is not a good idea, there would be a lot of problems with that, that's why there's no character-specific uncraftable items anymore.

But it IS her; SHE's the one who needs to go insane and maintain her warmth. And if none is around to take care of her Bear, SHE would be the one who would need to repair him every now and then. Because to just kill one terror beak, based on the mechanics I previously described, it would take 300 health just to kill ONE Crawling Horror and 400 to kill ONE Terror Beak (I'm... actually thinking this would generally be underpowered. Perhaps him killing them with one bite or so wasn't that bad of an idea after all). So, lets say the Bear starts out with 1000 hp and you can get extra 5000 max from one sewing kit. That's 6000 hp (and that's only the first time, it'll be 5000 every consecutive time, unless you craft a new Bernie each time). How many nightmares would he kill with that? Like 20 max if you're lucky and they're all Crawling Horrors? And you need to maintain it. And if a nightmare doesn't die upon him getting to 0% durability, welp, you've a nightmare to deal with as Willow HERSELF, unless your friends come to help you.

Later on you could afford a big pile of Bernies. Him being a Nightmare bait is good enough, but eh, sure, you can buff him.

I never liked idea of adding this item to Willow. It's like a consolation prize for being nerfed to the ground.

Willow should be centered around fire... Actually, what's the point of her ability of being a firestarter?

- It's not good for combat, since you lose rare drops (they turn into ashes);

- It doesn't affect her base-keeping abilities or inventory management;

- It doesn't grant any new resources, since anybody can set things on fire to get ashes/charcoal;

- It doesn't affect her mobility nor any other stats but sanity (which is poor compared to all the sanity-restoring items available).

Willow's 3 seconds of fire resistance is laughably bad. But her fire resistance in general doesn't really add anything.

Willow could use an actual role in which she would excel, and be a credit to team.

As for the fire thing... How would that even work? Fire... How would she throw fire at them? Like actually throw it? O.o

Well, what if setting nightmares on fire was a thing and it would drain their health really fast? Just an idea, throwing it out there.

11 minutes ago, PanAzej said:

Well, what if setting nightmares on fire was a thing and it would drain their health really fast? Just an idea, throwing it out there.

She could use her lighter to attack the nightmares and deal as much damage as a tentacle spike to them, she would be an exclusive and useful nightmare farmer, but the damage can be only done by her, which will help on protecting herself or others from nightmares if don't have other weapon

9 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

you still have to play a stopping animation for cooking things

I think the point was so you don't have to craft a campfire and use wood, which can be useful for lots of other things :) Still, these are just my thoughts.

Soooo what I thought of maybe Willow should have another exclusive item - having a lighter, a purple gem or fire staff, and adding nightmare fuel to make an improved Willow's fire staff, which will set enemies on fire withs hadow like fire, do 2x fire damage and can't burn the loot nor set any surrounding things on fire (but can do normal fire damage to people).

Other idea, is that maybe Willow could have pyrotechnics? She COULD make fireworks for fun... but could MAYBE HAVE A FIREWORK LAUNCHER/BAZOOKA? Sounds bazaar, but it could be a fun thing to have, the launcher/bazooka could cost 1 lighter 5 gold and 3 wood, which also will need do be loaded with a firework, that will cost 2-3 papyrus, 2 slurter slime and  1 rope, that firework could be a Blasting Firework, which does a blast, but cant set anything on fire and only can break a single object, cuz why not? Other firework could be a Party Firework, that will cost 1-3 papyrus, 2 gunpowder and 3 petals, which is mostly just for a celebration and fun, with a colorful sparkles, but has small possibility to set something on fire by falling down sparkles (which is not a great thing to do around bases, and if you don't like that anyway then just don't let that be an allowed idea xD). I dunno if any firework or Willow's staff ideas can even work out, tho I would find that fun.

P.S. the slurtle slime for the Blasting Firework is because its more for PvP thing, that wont need to wait ages for the eggs to spoil, and the gunpowder for the Party Firework because it's fancy, and parties aren't really everyday occasion and needs to have good quality and pretty fireworks

1 hour ago, PanAzej said:

But her fire resistance in general doesn't really add anything.

Again, gunpowder explosion in inventory, burning stuff in inventory for extra dps and sanity gain, easier dragonfly, fire farms(if that was a thing in dst), etc. etc. etc.

Fire Immunity can do quite a few cool things

25 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Again, gunpowder explosion in inventory, burning stuff in inventory for extra dps and sanity gain, easier dragonfly, fire farms(if that was a thing in dst), etc. etc. etc.

Also it adds a fire aura, which can set nearby things on fire, and I guess MAYBE, but not sure, which can damage characters and creatures

Cooked food spoils faster, and cooking 'refreshes' your food (cooked food is never stale right after cooking). And you can cook a bit of your stack of food anytime you want, either if you're hungry or your friend got a piece of meat and you can't be bothered to make a campfire, because reasons.

Good point, though still... Pretty meh, considering you can get a lot of logs long-term anyway, especially with Woodie or Maxwell at your side. Although "because reasons" is... Sorry, but it's not good for making a point.

I had a blob of ideas in my head. The Lighter could be infinite for Willow or have durability. Being only Willow-specific and uncraftable is not a good idea, there would be a lot of problems with that, that's why there's no character-specific uncraftable items anymore.

Well, Lucy is the only one left, actually...

Later on you could afford a big pile of Bernies. Him being a Nightmare bait is good enough, but eh, sure, you can buff him.

I never liked idea of adding this item to Willow. It's like a consolation prize for being nerfed to the ground.

Willow should be centered around fire... Actually, what's the point of her ability of being a firestarter?

- It's not good for combat, since you lose rare drops (they turn into ashes);

- It doesn't affect her base-keeping abilities or inventory management;

- It doesn't grant any new resources, since anybody can set things on fire to get ashes/charcoal;

- It doesn't affect her mobility nor any other stats but sanity (which is poor compared to all the sanity-restoring items available).

Willow's 3 seconds of fire resistance is laughably bad. But her fire resistance in general doesn't really add anything.

Willow could use an actual role in which she would excel, and be a credit to team.

Having only 1 Bernie per Willow seems like a better idea then. Perhaps make Bernie like Lucy then? Uncrftable and such? Or perhaps you could craft as many Bernies as you want, but if you go insane, only one would go alive and then if another Willow goes insane, another Bernie would become alive, or something like that.

Well, what if setting nightmares on fire was a thing and it would drain their health really fast? Just an idea, throwing it out there.

I think it could potentially be a tad bit too catastrophic. Like, burning nightmares in your base? Not a good idea... Though light items and especially Willow's lighter dealing more damage to nightmares seems pretty good. Though, considering that Wolfgang with a ham bat or whatever on full belly could just kill a nightmare in 3 - 4 hits, it's better if Willow can kill them with like 1 or 2 hits with her lighter or something... Yeah; Woilfgang OP!

1 hour ago, Mantas said:

Soooo what I thought of maybe Willow should have another exclusive item - having a lighter, a purple gem or fire staff, and adding nightmare fuel to make an improved Willow's fire staff, which will set enemies on fire withs hadow like fire, do 2x fire damage and can't burn the loot nor set any surrounding things on fire (but can do normal fire damage to people).

Other idea, is that maybe Willow could have pyrotechnics? She COULD make fireworks for fun... but could MAYBE HAVE A FIREWORK LAUNCHER/BAZOOKA? Sounds bazaar, but it could be a fun thing to have, the launcher/bazooka could cost 1 lighter 5 gold and 3 wood, which also will need do be loaded with a firework, that will cost 2-3 papyrus, 2 slurter slime and  1 rope, that firework could be a Blasting Firework, which does a blast, but cant set anything on fire and only can break a single object, cuz why not? Other firework could be a Party Firework, that will cost 1-3 papyrus, 2 gunpowder and 3 petals, which is mostly just for a celebration and fun, with a colorful sparkles, but has small possibility to set something on fire by falling down sparkles (which is not a great thing to do around bases, and if you don't like that anyway then just don't let that be an allowed idea xD). I dunno if any firework or Willow's staff ideas can even work out, tho I would find that fun.

P.S. the slurtle slime for the Blasting Firework is because its more for PvP thing, that wont need to wait ages for the eggs to spoil, and the gunpowder for the Party Firework because it's fancy, and parties aren't really everyday occasion and needs to have good quality and pretty fireworks

I think you're going a bit overboard there, bud... This isn't a fight-person-shooter, but a survival game.And it's not even a zombie-survival one either, just a weird type of survival game, sooo...

10 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

I think you're going a bit overboard there, bud... This isn't a fight-person-shooter, but a survival game.And it's not even a zombie-survival one either, just a weird type of survival game, sooo...

I know its not, I don't really play them. It could be a good balance for PvP, or just a nice idea for being good for some kind of fights, I am not even saying that the Fireworks needs to be super OP, they could pack a punch at least, you guys WERE talking how other characters like wicker, Wolfgang, WX, and Widefridge are super powerful, but why can't small fries like the others have some cool stuff or things to invent too? :/

21 minutes ago, Mantas said:

I know its not, I don't really play them. It could be a good balance for PvP, or just a nice idea for being good for some kind of fights, I am not even saying that the Fireworks needs to be super OP, they could pack a punch at least, you guys WERE talking how other characters like wicker, Wolfgang, WX, and Widefridge are super powerful, but why can't small fries like the others have some cool stuff or things to invent too? :/

It just doesn't fit the game too well, imho :L the fireworks and the bazooka thing, I mean.

11 hours ago, Mantas said:

MAYBE HAVE A FIREWORK LAUNCHER/BAZOOKA?

Count me in for bazookas and EXPLOSIONS!

Eh, but that wouldn't fit, a girl with a rocket launcher in a survival setting is too silly even for Don't Starve standards.

10 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

I think those are bugs/exploits you're talking about. Well, they always could be made into actual mechanics...

10 hours ago, SuperPsiPower said:

I know Willow's trademark item is her lighter, but it really is only good for a portable fire late game due to being able to obtain a lantern or minerhat; and having a lighter for light seems kind of redundant. But a portable fire is always nice!

The problem is, you can achieve the same effect with 2 twigs and 2 grass, and you always have at least a stack of those on you, because they're used for a lot of common items.

10 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Good point, though still... Pretty meh, considering you can get a lot of logs long-term anyway, especially with Woodie or Maxwell at your side. Although "because reasons" is... Sorry, but it's not good for making a point.

Reasons - for example it's summer and you don't want to make a regular fire. Or you don't have any logs on you, and you are travelling/are deep in caves. There ya go.

Well, Lucy is the only one left, actually...

She was made like this, because it makes sense lore-wise. Torches transforming into Lighters wouldn't make sense.

I think it could potentially be a tad bit too catastrophic. Like, burning nightmares in your base? Not a good idea... Though light items and especially Willow's lighter dealing more damage to nightmares seems pretty good. Though, considering that Wolfgang with a ham bat or whatever on full belly could just kill a nightmare in 3 - 4 hits, it's better if Willow can kill them with like 1 or 2 hits with her lighter or something... Yeah; Woilfgang OP!

Nobody said that Nightmares would spread the fire.

That's also the problem - the fire mechanics in Don't Starve don't leave that much flexibility. It's so destructive, that it's hard to make it a GOOD thing, even while trying. All the fire is good for is light and warmth, and even the second one is unwanted during summer.

Yeah, Willow wouldn't be good combat-wise. She needs something different to make her stand out from the crowd.

53 minutes ago, PanAzej said:

Count me in for bazookas and EXPLOSIONS!

Eh, but that wouldn't fit, a girl with a rocket launcher in a survival setting is too silly even for Don't Starve standards.

I think those are bugs/exploits you're talking about. Well, they always could be made into actual mechanics...

The problem is, you can achieve the same effect with 2 twigs and 2 grass, and you always have at least a stack of those on you, because they're used for a lot of common items.

Reasons - for example it's summer and you don't want to make a regular fire. Or you don't have any logs on you, and you are travelling/are deep in caves. There ya go.

She was made like this, because it makes sense lore-wise. Torches transforming into Lighters wouldn't make sense.

Nobody said that Nightmares would spread the fire.

That's also the problem - the fire mechanics in Don't Starve don't leave that much flexibility. It's so destructive, that it's hard to make it a GOOD thing, even while trying. All the fire is good for is light and warmth, and even the second one is unwanted during summer.

Yeah, Willow wouldn't be good combat-wise. She needs something different to make her stand out from the crowd.

Willow's lighter lasts long enough for 10 days if you use it right. Torches dont last nearly as long but without the cooking effect.

6 hours ago, PanAzej said:

Give her bigger exploration radius for map and make her faster? She is a girl scout after all, these things should be a skill. Or maybe that lighter or torches gives her and who stands near her some warmth?

5 hours ago, SuperPsiPower said:

Willow's lighter lasts long enough for 10 days if you use it right. Torches dont last nearly as long but without the cooking effect.

Could last longer, I had the same lighter for like 20-40 days, mostly used for cooking or just burning stuff like a good little Willow :>

On 8/9/2016 at 5:57 AM, Arlesienne said:

Willow actually sounds very logical. I have a hard time picturing her while believing in a little pixie living in the lighter. Please don't hurt me.

And yet she believes that her teddy comes to life... in the lore it is supposed to be just a normal teddy right? I actually might not know what I am talking about.

Archived