Klei, have you abandoned Don't Starve?

7 hours ago, or1239 said:

RoG was added to the game as an expansion, just like SW. 

Just because you start off in a different world and not from scratch doesn't mean that RoG is more of an update to Vanilla then SW (as in both were not an update). None of those added to Vanilla, RoG might have elaborated on the already existing content of Vanilla and simply added new biomes, mobs, mechanic, but so did SW. And with all of that, there was still nothing new that was added to Vanilla game during both of them.

But I get that your referring to RoG being added in a way where you can have all the existing Vanilla content with the new RoG stuff if you bought RoG, but its the same with SW thanks to Seaworthy, I don't think they could have added sailing into the current DS world anyway since it would have simply not worked from technical standpoint (a lot of things are already happening on the main DS island for example) or even gameplay wise. Creating a whole new world based around sailing With resources and seasons that fit in with the sailing mechanic was probably a better idea.

This is what we got. Lets be thankful that Klei even listens to its community on things like what to add and develop, We wanted multiplayer? We got it. We wanted sailing? We got it.

We aren't the ones who actually develop these things when it comes to it, so we don't know the struggle and process it takes to implement them.

It's Capy's work. Capy decided to toy around with the engine and made SW. And "we wanted sailing? we got it" whooptie doo, enjoy your tedious slower walking in the land of nothingness. Because that's what sailing is.

Also not "boats". There's raft/log raft, and Armoured Boat. You litearly never have any reason to use any other boat types because of how they're all pathetic compared to the Armoured One who can actually survive at sea.

And sea combat is still extremly bad

6 hours ago, Sudura said:

From my speculation of the lore, I believe Shipwrecked is a major prequel, or at least, using the Seaworthy is canon and it's a flashback to this world/nightmare. Though I could see the person on the Nightmare throne adding it to taunt them. Hint hint, wink wink.

SW lore?

On 5/27/2016 at 5:01 PM, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I've also just realized, I hate DST. What I mean by this is not "I hate multiplayer", I mean I hate the fact that DS and DST are too different things. Making a server and having a couple of friends play together, yeah that's awesome, but you didn't need to make a whole new game for that! You don't see Minecraft having "Minecraft Together" as another game and only having new updates like horses and rabbits exclusive for that version. You are just splitting up one great game in half and that's awful. 

Are you ignorant of the enormous discussion over multiplayer's existence in the first place? The most prominent difficulty Klei mentioned again and again during development of DS single-player was that the game's entire code would have to be re-written to accommodate multiplayer. Add in the need for tweaks and rebalances to nearly every aspect of the game for multiplayer, and DST, while similar in goal and gameplay style to DS, is a completely new game in term of the work that has gone into it.

Huh.  Or, it could be some kind of alternate timeline.  I mean, the characters seem to be just as new to this world whether they wake up on the mainland OR the beach.  In one version, they got/followed the instructions from Maxwell back at their home; in the other, for some reason they had to go through a portal that only existed out on the ocean, so it required sailing to get there.

One could get around this to say BOTH happened anyway with excuses such as memory-wiping magic and inventory loss/theft (FREAKING MONKEYS!!) but we'll never know until we...know.  : P

...Notorious

The fact the op is complaining that the DS and DST are separate is just sad.... For @PeterA's sake (get it... Petes=Peter) it says "A Sequel of Sorts" on the title screen and is Chapter 2 of the DS story... Sigh whatever they make for Part 3, I hope you won't be angry...

On 29/05/2016 at 5:45 AM, AnonymousKoala said:

It's Capy's work. Capy decided to toy around with the engine and made SW. And "we wanted sailing? we got it" whooptie doo, enjoy your tedious slower walking in the land of nothingness. Because that's what sailing is.

Also not "boats". There's raft/log raft, and Armoured Boat. You litearly never have any reason to use any other boat types because of how they're all pathetic compared to the Armoured One who can actually survive at sea.

And sea combat is still extremly bad

SW lore?

Well that's why boats would have worked better in the core game. Imagine Vanilla had big continents that you could only reach through sailing, it be awesome.  

10 hours ago, Mikeadatrix said:

The fact the op is complaining that the DS and DST are separate is just sad.... For @PeterA's sake (get it... Petes=Peter) it says "A Sequel of Sorts" on the title screen and is Chapter 2 of the DS story... Sigh whatever they make for Part 3, I hope you won't be angry...

But it's annoying. Certain features are in one game and then other features are in another. I don't understand why stuff like Caves customization can't be in DS!

On 5/31/2016 at 7:04 AM, TheKingofSquirrels said:

But it's annoying. Certain features are in one game and then other features are in another. I don't understand why stuff like Caves customization can't be in DS!

To be completely honest, you're lucky they port over bug fixes and still do updates on DS at all.

Can you name many other games that got sequels, where the studio continued active development on the first WHILE they were still working on that sequel, let alone still releasing DLC?

I can wait.

4 hours ago, leonseye said:

To be completely honest, you're lucky they port over bug fixes and still do updates on DS at all.

Can you name many other games that got sequels, where the studio continued active development on the first WHILE they were still working on that sequel, let alone still releasing DLC?

I can wait.

Looking Glass did this with their Thief series, but I agree.

I think the only reason people think DS was abandoned was because SW wasn't as huge and in-depth as people had hoped. But as long as they don't port SW to DST (which I hope they do actually do) DS will still have more content/DLC's than DST, at least in their current forms. But TTA is coming out soon which might give DST the upper hand. Either way, I think I'll still play both, because DS has differences from DST (lower enemy health, different levels for caves/ruins, only 1 chester, etc.) But if they really want to keep DS alive, I think a 3rd DLC would be awesome.

They specifically stated after the announcement of DST that they had no interest in segregating content that could exist in both singleplayer and multiplayer. But that's exactly what happened, which is irritating. I mean as long as the stuff gets ported back to singleplayer eventually once DST developments slow down more it'll be fine, but it is discouraging thus far. 

I'm not sure why Shipwrecked was brought up. It's part of DS singleplayer in the same way caves are. It doesn't apply to the "splitting the game up" nearly as much as two separately bought versions of the game does. Shipwrecked can be played alongside vanilla and RoG in the same game, on the same save file. The only main issue with Shipwrecked IN THAT REGARD is the inability to craft SW items in RoG/Vanilla worlds.

I'm sure things like the above could be addressed in a later patch but first it would actually need to appear that Shipwrecked wasn't abandoned first, because that is definitely the part of singleplayer that appears to be abandoned, and I don't know if it has anything to do with Capy or Klei (I'm leaning towards Capy). It's still littered with bugs, crashes and imbalanced or poorly thought out mechanic and it hasn't received a patch in months and there's been absolutely no communication about whether or not a bug fix patch will come out. If they didn't take off the "early-access" label I would not be able to tell if it was "finished" or not.

You can't even post a form in the Shipwrecked bug tracker. The last bug to ever be properly reported was on March 31st.

2 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

They specifically stated after the announcement of DST that they had no interest in segregating content that could exist in both singleplayer and multiplayer. But that's exactly what happened, which is irritating.

This gets tossed around a lot; the "segregating content" comment that was made a while back.  However, the problem here is that "content that can exist in both games" is a pretty subjective topic.

What one person might feel fits thematically in both games, another may find fault w/ for one reason or another.

Although, in this case, I think it's far more likely that Klei is a small studio and has their hands full delivering on bigger promises.  I have no doubt that once they have polished up the TtA content, they will at some point take a look at the DST changes and decide what "fits" into single player DS and make the necessary updates.

In other words, patience is a virtue.

If you get bored, you're always welcome to come play DST w/ the rest of us, though.  : )

10 minutes ago, leonseye said:

If you get bored, you're always welcome to come play DST w/ the rest of us, though.  : )

I do play it, but I don't like it and I would still much rather be playing singleplayer. I've only been playing DST over DS because it feels more polished than singleplayer does as it stands.

On 30/05/2016 at 4:01 PM, Naipseht said:

Are you ignorant of the enormous discussion over multiplayer's existence in the first place? The most prominent difficulty Klei mentioned again and again during development of DS single-player was that the game's entire code would have to be re-written to accommodate multiplayer. Add in the need for tweaks and rebalances to nearly every aspect of the game for multiplayer, and DST, while similar in goal and gameplay style to DS, is a completely new game in term of the work that has gone into it.

I still don't think that validates splitting content like they have.

7 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

I do play it, but I don't like it and I would still much rather be playing singleplayer. I've only been playing DST over DS because it feels more polished than singleplayer does as it stands.

Same here.

5 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I still don't think that validates splitting content like they have.

Perhaps not, but Klei and, more specifically, the team working on DS and DST is small.  They don't have infinite time, and they are trying to finish what they started w/ DST.

If that doesn't validate not immediately porting over every DST change to DS, then I'm not sure we can honestly have a meaningful dialogue about the situation.

11 minutes ago, leonseye said:

Perhaps not, but Klei and, more specifically, the team working on DS and DST is small.  They don't have infinite time, and they are trying to finish what they started w/ DST.

If that doesn't validate not immediately porting over every DST change to DS, then I'm not sure we can honestly have a meaningful dialogue about the situation.

I understand that, but I wish they would confirm that EVENTUALLY they would do it.

Because at the moment, it just seems like they don't care. 

6 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I understand that, but I wish they would confirm that EVENTUALLY they would do it.

Because at the moment, it just seems like they don't care. 

They did, from the start.  At the moment, it seems to me like it's impatient DS players who just don't care.

Not all of the DST changes would quite work in singleplayer, but I agree when it comes to things that are just straight up new content, rather than power-balancing to work with more than one player.  Why COULDN'T we have juicy berry bushes or beefalo riding in the regular game?  I really don't see anything inherently multiplayer-only about those things.

...Notorious

22 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Not all of the DST changes would quite work in singleplayer, but I agree when it comes to things that are just straight up new content, rather than power-balancing to work with more than one player.  Why COULDN'T we have juicy berry bushes or beefalo riding in the regular game?  I really don't see anything inherently multiplayer-only about those things.

...Notorious

I feel like Beefalo riding and Juicy Berry bushes would be perfectly compatible with the original Don't Starve. But sometimes I assume Klei always has something better to do or they're working on bug fixes and on DST, or possibly another game altogether. 

59 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Where's your source?

"The plan is that things that can be cross modes, will totally be added and tuned for both modes when logically and technically possible. We have zero plans or desire to segregate content that would be awesome to play in both single player and multiplayer."

That was taken from the announcement thread for DS multiplayer, in 2014, from a dev.  Again, "from the very start".  

On 4/24/2016 at 11:18 AM, nome said:

The update is that we all read threads like this with great attention. Please keep it up (but obviously keep it constructive) and we'll be reading and making plans accordingly (as best we can with the resources that we have). Probably don't expect any early promises that might not come true for a year though *cough* TtA *cough*  

And this was taken from a more recent thread, where they updated us about a month and half ago that they are indeed limited by the resources that they have.

So again, Klei has said that they want to do it (and to be completely fair, they HAVE ported over numerous tweaks and bug fixes), but they also have other things on their plate before they can really get to it.  They have given all of us a very reasonable answer, and people constantly post in threads that they "just don't care".

That couldn't be further from the truth.

Archived