Such Art

Battal

Polls!  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which game did you like/were the most interested in?

• End of Time
    • Everything you Touch Dies
    • Heartless Skies

35 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Ooo writing. What does the writing of strings entail?

Basically, it's writing dialogue.  My hope is to have 10+ lines to choose from for each "event" (Boss intro, half health, final attack, etc) for each personality.  So....a lot of writing x_X

Let me put in my "objective criticism" onto this work:

Concepts: 9/10, would love for these things to be added into the actual game for the most part (I'm being serious!)

Story: 9/10 again, the story you've laid out here is so good, I'm surprised there is nothing really like it in Shipwrecked! (make it happen, Klei!)

Art: effort/10 ... I mean 1/10 ... I mean 11/10, like goddamn, this is some out-of-the-world artwork, right there! Who gave you the tools to draw these? Aliens?! And can I have some? :p

So I thought it would be a good idea to go over how exactly I'm remaking Heartless Skies, since I've left a lot of people in the dark about it and the game's going to be much, much different.  So here goes.

First off, the game will be 100% boss based.  The levels sucked and I hated making them.  So instead, I'm going to put my effort and focus into what should've been the star in the first place; the actual generator.

charge.png

Movement - Instead of just following a generic path on a loop for the whole fight, each boss is instead be powered by AI; dodging, charging, moving around, etc.  Their movement patterns are ALSO randomly generated; you could get one that charges, teleports to another location, then charges again, or maybe one who aggressively chases you throughout the fight; or maybe moves completely unpredictably.  Since their attack patterns are based off their movement as well, this makes the boss's fighting style also random.

primary.png

Attacks - Before, each boss had one very simple primary attack which it used through the fight.  Since that was amazingly boring, they will now each get around 4 or 5 primary attacks (at base difficulty.)  Each of these attacks is complex and hard-to-dodge, and since there'll be a barrage of them, it'll hopefully keep the boss from ever getting boring.

Special Moves - Special moves will replace what used to be the boss's attacks.  These are long-lasting, very complicated attacks, which force the player to focus on dodging and avoiding it rather than just moving in a straight line.  At base difficulty, the bosses will have 2 of these.  

Evolution - You'll notice I've been throwing around the term "base difficulty" a lot.  It refers to the first phase of the first boss you fight - the easiest part of the game.  As you progress, the base difficulty for each boss increases; speeding up bullets, attacks, movement, AND increasing the amount of primary and special attacks it gets.  Difficulty will also increase during the fights as well; bullet speeds increase, the boss gains a new attack each phase, and they will move faster.  I'm hoping to add a few other aspects to difficulty evolution, such as blending attacks, but we'll have to see.

Personality - Each boss gets a character now!  The generator will select a personality for them; honorable, insane, sadistic, chill, etc, and then pick strings for them based off that.  The total number of strings we'll need is 300 (jesus) which is why I was asking for help earlier.  Currently, Zek's writing a few. 

3 hours ago, Battal said:

Personality - Each boss gets a character now!  The generator will select a personality for them; honorable, insane, sadistic, chill, etc, and then pick strings for them based off that.  The total number of strings we'll need is 300 (jesus) which is why I was asking for help earlier.  Currently, Zek's writing a few. 

Was this mechanic before or after Cuphead revealed this mechanic? I love bosses who do things like this. So that'll be interesting.

The name generator for the bosses is working!  Already there have been some...memorable results.

Koigus Biletrap, Scourge of the Dark World

HA-4099 "Essencerazor", Cultist of the Holy Orginization

Laigon Wickedcide, Nemesis of the Fallen Guild

NAI-K91 "Tortureaxe", God of the Bright Order

Daegus Powerspike, Lord of the Hungering Corporation

Eknozukie Thundermurderer, Explorer of the Forsaken Plane

Jaronon Technoslaughter, Slave of the Machine Planet <-- probably my fave

ZEK-242 "Electroslayer", Defender of the Artificial World

Spoiler
On 23 agosto 2016 at 7:57 PM, Battal said:

So I thought it would be a good idea to go over how exactly I'm remaking Heartless Skies, since I've left a lot of people in the dark about it and the game's going to be much, much different.  So here goes.

First off, the game will be 100% boss based.  The levels sucked and I hated making them.  So instead, I'm going to put my effort and focus into what should've been the star in the first place; the actual generator.

charge.png

Movement - Instead of just following a generic path on a loop for the whole fight, each boss is instead be powered by AI; dodging, charging, moving around, etc.  Their movement patterns are ALSO randomly generated; you could get one that charges, teleports to another location, then charges again, or maybe one who aggressively chases you throughout the fight; or maybe moves completely unpredictably.  Since their attack patterns are based off their movement as well, this makes the boss's fighting style also random.

primary.png

Attacks - Before, each boss had one very simple primary attack which it used through the fight.  Since that was amazingly boring, they will now each get around 4 or 5 primary attacks (at base difficulty.)  Each of these attacks is complex and hard-to-dodge, and since there'll be a barrage of them, it'll hopefully keep the boss from ever getting boring.

Special Moves - Special moves will replace what used to be the boss's attacks.  These are long-lasting, very complicated attacks, which force the player to focus on dodging and avoiding it rather than just moving in a straight line.  At base difficulty, the bosses will have 2 of these.  

Evolution - You'll notice I've been throwing around the term "base difficulty" a lot.  It refers to the first phase of the first boss you fight - the easiest part of the game.  As you progress, the base difficulty for each boss increases; speeding up bullets, attacks, movement, AND increasing the amount of primary and special attacks it gets.  Difficulty will also increase during the fights as well; bullet speeds increase, the boss gains a new attack each phase, and they will move faster.  I'm hoping to add a few other aspects to difficulty evolution, such as blending attacks, but we'll have to see.

HOLY RAVIOLI

This is like, something I would have loved to see happen in any Roguelike game, like maybe in Isaac. Especially the random attacks. They will make the game a lot more ability based! 

Sign me the fudge uuup!

I love the new health bar!

7 hours ago, Battal said:

Laigon Wickedcide, Nemesis of the Fallen Guild

Spoiler

"This is Laigon Wickedcide, Nemesis of the Fallen Guild."

"What fallen guild?"

"The guild that has fallen."

"Why has it fallen?"

"Because of Laigon Wickedcide."

DUN DUN DUUUUUN

Introducing a new gameplay mechanic - dodging!  Got an undodgeable barrage headed your way?  No worries - just dash right through them!

dodge1.png

Using right-click, dash towards the mouse, teleporting through bullets, lazers, swords, etc.  Be sure to time and aim carefully; otherwise, you might phase right into another bullet!

dodge2.png

But, don't get cocky once you master dodging; some bullets can still hurt you even if you dash through them!

New Boss 2 - The Vanguard!

showcase.png

This massive warship may look bulky and slow, but don't be fooled - it can overcharge its thrusters to recieve a powerful boost!

The Vanguard gains a speed increase while executing move patterns that target the player.  It will also shoot aimed projectiles at them with its turrets.

Roadmap!

1. Implement support for special attacks.

1. Implement support for final attacks.

1. Implement custom phases.

1. Implement AI

1. Implement new bosses.

1. Get Generator fully running.

1. Finish adding movement, attack, phase, and special patterns.

1. Plan and draw special bosses and environments.

1. Implement environments and hazards.

1. Implement special bosses.

1. Tweaking, bugfixing, and playtesting.

1. Complete main game.

(Let's hope we reach 12 someday!)

Even more stuff, this time on the final boss of Heartless Skies: Aeortix.  And for a floating heart with telepathy, he's had more redesigns than the Saucer.

First, he was this robot spider thing:

final boss.png

The idea was that as you beat him down, his suit would fall apart and reveal the giant heart monster inside.  I actually drew up a spritesheet for this design -

spritesheet.png

Look familiar?  :p

After I added the Arachnarch, I scrapped this concept and was on the fence for a while.  Then I saw Omega Flowey, and for a while pretty much everything I designed had to be an amalgamation of organic bits and machinery hanging from the ceiling, so I made this:

idle.gif

This one stuck for a while, until I realized this one wasn't very good either.  I bounced ideas back and forth for a while, before I was scribbling one day and came up with a concept I sorta liked.  So then, I drew this -

Heart Monitor.jpg

Behold, the Heart Monitor!

b-because it's a heart

This is super WIP; even this sketch isn't finished.  Anyways, this machine is wired with electric nerves that hook up into Aeortix, basically turning the machine into an extension of his body.  He also pumps blood through the machine for...scifi technobabble?  I just wanted that in there...

...y'know...

b-because it's a hea - *gets shot*

Archived