Resource Variants - What do Twiggy Trees add to the table?

I'm actually a fan of the resource variants so far, since each of these shifts the standard.

Petrified Trees are not a thing to rely on, but they stay petrified, so they're great for obtaining minerals in an easier way than the ones available once you mined all boulders(just waiting for nitre to come out of earthquakes is...meh).

Grass Gekkos are again, not the best, but a quite unique way(scaring them away or killing them).

Juicy Berry Bushes, they're more of a small bit of joy over realizing you're in a juicy year. IMO I love them more than the normal berries.

But here's what bothers me. Twiggy Trees bring nothing new to the table. Its a tree you chop(not new) to get twigs(there's already a tree type that rewards you with twigs), and cones(again, not new). Its a hybrid of existing things that are all pretty close to each other, making this a variant that adds nothing to the table. 

9 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Petrified Trees

Make getting resources easier

Grass Gekkos

Makes it harder(?) havent actually played long enough to have them but running around for grass sounds annoying

Juicy Berry Bushes

Makes it easier

Twiggy Trees

Makes it harder (well more annoying at least...)

So two easier two harder, balances out.

there's already a tree type that rewards you with twigs

You mean the non-renewable spiky trees? These are renewable so it is a little different :p 

Just now, BlindGunner said:

Make getting resources easier

Makes it harder(?) havent actually played long enough to have them but running around for grass sounds annoying

Makes it easier

Makes it harder (well more annoying at least...)

You mean the non-renewable spiky trees? These are renewable so it is a little different :p 

Petrified Trees are also good lookin' for base building. I want to leave trees at my base now just to see them petrify.

Grass Gekkos run away like rabbits. But if they have a tail, instead of just running away, they shed the tail and later regrow it. Its not the most reliable but its a fun method IMO. Also is unique anyway. Killing them means they wont regrow the tail, but you get the grass from the tail, an extra grass, and leafy meat.

Twiggy Trees are not just annoying for late joiners, they're just not bringing anything new to the table unlike the rest.

If the only difference is "its renewable"...not a fan. 

8 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Twiggy Trees are not just annoying for late joiners, they're just not bringing anything new to the table unlike the rest.

If the only difference is "its renewable"...not a fan. 

1. I do believe renewability is a very big thing in this game. And don't the trees turn into saplings? That means saplings just became renewable.

2. It's a difficulty increase, which I welcome in most forms, although a little less when it's an annoyance (like this, because it means taking more time to get my twigs)

58 minutes ago, DwerBomb said:

The main problem is that they don't drop enough twigs when chopped, it's so time consuming 

True. Also they're the only renewable source of wood(since if one **** up badly enough, you're screwed. No log source)

1 hour ago, BlindGunner said:

1. I do believe renewability is a very big thing in this game. And don't the trees turn into saplings? That means saplings just became renewable.

2. It's a difficulty increase, which I welcome in most forms, although a little less when it's an annoyance (like this, because it means taking more time to get my twigs)

Difficulty increase is good and renewability is also great, but when a thing's only upside is "its renewable" its kind of boring IMO.

The world regenerates now in DST, so all of these arguments about "renewable or not" are pretty much completely moot.

It's the "World Regrowth" setting in the world generation menu.  Trees will grow back if you chop or burn them down, even if you pull the stumps.

Although, I do see it as a mechanical issue if players join and all the twigs are now trees, preventing them from creating an axe or pickaxe w/ which to survive their early days.  That is pretty much an automatic death, and that's just not cool.

3 hours ago, luivul said:

Twiggy trees grow in winter, while normal twigs don't, they saved my life once in a server when winter had already started when I joined.

This right here. They also don't wither in the summer. I admit they're a little awkward, but they do have their upsides. And as I just mentioned in another topic, I really don't understand why people aren't leaving some of the absolute basics for newcomers at the door.

6 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

True. Also they're the only renewable source of wood(since if one **** up badly enough, you're screwed. No log source)

Difficulty increase is good and renewability is also great, but when a thing's only upside is "its renewable" its kind of boring IMO.

I wonder how hard you have to screw up to get rid of every single tree on the map. :D

6 hours ago, leonseye said:

The world regenerates now in DST, so all of these arguments about "renewable or not" are pretty much completely moot.

It's the "World Regrowth" setting in the world generation menu.  Trees will grow back if you chop or burn them down, even if you pull the stumps.

Don't get me started on this. Maybe on endless it's acceptable but anywhere else the world shouldn't regenerate any more than it does in single player. The fact that this is on by default really bothers me.

10 hours ago, DwerBomb said:

The main problem is that they don't drop enough twigs when chopped, it's so time consuming 

I've got to agree and support this, considering it's a whole tree you'd expect at least 3-4 twigs for the greatest, not 1-2. It's time and resource consuming (flint+twig).

Just now, Bahlsen said:

I've got to agree and support this, considering it's a whole tree you'd expect at least 3-4 twigs for the greatest, not 1-2. It's time and resource consuming (flint+twig).

And I think they shold require less chops to be chopped down (come on, it's not as big as an evergreen)

1 hour ago, voyager156 said:

This new resource variants thing is really interesting to me. Can you please tell me AnonymousKoala how do you change default resource variants settings (because on default, they don't change after some time as far as I know).

Yes, value default of world customization setting Changing Resources currently means none (until the resource variants feature is deemed balanced I guess).

In my opinion, twiggy trees should drop twigs naturally from time to time, this would make the player actually decide if he would keep it for periodical twigs, or chop it to get them immediately for that moment.

This would make them actually different gameplay wise besides forcing the player get the same resources in a more annoying way.

Just now, Mudley said:

In my opinion, twiggy trees should drop twigs naturally from time to time, this would make the player actually decide if he would keep it for periodical twigs, or chop it to get them immediately for that moment.

This would make them actually different gameplay wise besides forcing the player get the same resources in a more annoying way.

Or make them harvestable? Like limpet rocks in SW, renewable or one time gain.

A world that starts with Twig Trees only (no saplings) is very frustrating to play. The starting twigs on the ground will be hogged by the early players.and anyone who join past day 3 won't even be capable of making an axe to get more twigs. It's even worse than the lack of flint problem because at least you don't need flint to make a torch.

Twiggy tree is only there to make the game "harder" by making you trade 15 chops for 2 twigs everytime and you will do it anyway because saps will die eventually. I don't like the resource variants, all they do is make the early game much more luck based and the late game more grindy. There is also a diseased log in the files, so i imagine Klei is going to make basic resources have expiration dates too...

3 hours ago, FTR said:

I wonder how hard you have to screw up to get rid of every single tree on the map. :D

I don't think its possible, as I did once start a world with trees set to none, and to make sure I can the command c_remove on all tree types, yet tree saplings were still getting renewed

15 minutes ago, Aquaterion said:

I don't think its possible, as I did once start a world with trees set to none, and to make sure I can the command c_remove on all tree types, yet tree saplings were still getting renewed

This is what I have a problem with, if you manage to screw up that hard and not have any trees left, you deserve to have lost them.

2 hours ago, BlindGunner said:

Don't get me started on this. Maybe on endless it's acceptable but anywhere else the world shouldn't regenerate any more than it does in single player. The fact that this is on by default really bothers me.

You can turn it off, just like almost every / anything else that you don't like.

Single player game has world hopping to renew resources; DST doesn't.  I like the renewing setting, as it allows long-lasting DST servers to continue to function.  This is not a worry in single player DS, so there's really no reason for the 2 games to function the same, imo.

19 minutes ago, BlindGunner said:

This is what I have a problem with, if you manage to screw up that hard and not have any trees left, you deserve to have lost them.

Again, in DST there is no recourse when this happens to you; in DS, you can combine the Things and world-hop.  You do not need ANY wood (or any other resources, for that matter) to accomplish this and the Things cannot be destroyed or stolen in any manner.  

World-hopping is ALWAYS an option in DS, as long as you can find the Things.  This is obviously not the case in DST, where you can't just abandon your world for a new one should you screw up.

2 minutes ago, leonseye said:

You can turn it off, just like almost every / anything else that you don't like.

Single player game has world hopping to renew resources; DST doesn't.  I like the renewing setting, as it allows long-lasting DST servers to continue to function.  This is not a worry in single player DS, so there's really no reason for the 2 games to function the same, imo.

Again, in DST there is no recourse when this happens to you; in DS, you can combine the Things and world-hop.  You do not need ANY wood (or any other resources, for that matter) to accomplish this and the Things cannot be destroyed or stolen in any manner.  

World-hopping is ALWAYS an option in DS, as long as you can find the Things.  This is obviously not the case in DST, where you can't just abandon your world for a new one should you screw up.

I believe there is a way to imitate world hopping (something to do with resetting the shards(?)). Regardless, I feel the default should be off. Regenerating resources doesn't fit the theme of "uncompromising survival" that don't starve is advertised as. On another note world hopping in single player has never interested me. If you want a head start in a world you might as well debug spawn things in.

5 minutes ago, BlindGunner said:

I believe there is a way to imitate world hopping (something to do with resetting the shards(?)). Regardless, I feel the default should be off. Regenerating resources doesn't fit the theme of "uncompromising survival" that don't starve is advertised as. On another note world hopping in single player has never interested me. If you want a head start in a world you might as well debug spawn things in.

Some people consider resetting the world through console or using the console to spawn in more resources to be "cheating", far more so than using the in-game settings that are provided.  Not that I really care much about that.

But thematically, the DST world is NOT the same world as DS; it's no longer Maxwell's show and there are small differences to show this.  I think that the alternate resources, release trailer, and pending Through the Ages illustrate this fact rather well.

10 hours ago, Mudley said:

That's also why I like the Grass Gekkos, they're one time uses if you kill them but if you keep them around, just run around a herd/bunch of them every few days.

10 hours ago, Serph said:

A world that starts with Twig Trees only (no saplings) is very frustrating to play. The starting twigs on the ground will be hogged by the early players.and anyone who join past day 3 won't even be capable of making an axe to get more twigs. It's even worse than the lack of flint problem because at least you don't need flint to make a torch.

Twiggy tree is only there to make the game "harder" by making you trade 15 chops for 2 twigs everytime and you will do it anyway because saps will die eventually. I don't like the resource variants, all they do is make the early game much more luck based and the late game more grindy. There is also a diseased log in the files, so i imagine Klei is going to make basic resources have expiration dates too...

Resource Variants other than the twiggy tree are fine though. Unless your world is grass gekkos only...in which case not great. The gekkos are cool but they're not reliable.

Not sure if it's to make the game harder as much as it's just to give more variety. I'm not a fan of Diseased Log if such a thing happens. Inventory stuff should not expire unless they're food, especially if they're so mandatory. Because if thanks to log being diseased out of nowhere, you can't make a campfire...yeah that's the game's fault. And I like DS because of how little times you can blame the game and know its actually the game's fault.

Archived