Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Mausman

Wigfrid and coffee.

Recommended Posts

Serph    470
2 minutes ago, DeputyDeath said:

But that WOULD give her a buff. A pretty massive one. The character that is most effective at kiting and taking out groups of enemies would be even better at doing so!

If you want access to the stuff, play as a different character. Beard hair is practically locked away from most characters, and all characters have unique items that are locked away. Hell, WIGFRID has unique items that other characters can't have.

That's not even what the definition of "buff" is. Wigfrid wouldn't be stronger by herself, she would only be able to have something that everyone has, why is it so hard to understand?

Everyone can kite bro. Wolfgang is the obvious best thanks to his speed boost. If anything Wigfrid drain/defense encourages tanking.

"Pratically locked away"? Is this a joke? Anyone can get beard hair, it's one of the easiest things in the world to get. All you need is a bunny village, -40% sanity and 1 carrot and you have more hair in a single dusk than Wilson gets in 15 days. You can even make a beard farm! Regardless of that, unlike Beard hair Wigfrid unique items become useless the moment you get something better, it's not even comparable.

It's clear you're not going to change your mind so i won't bother responding anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mezukie    2831

The only reason I think Wigfrid shouldn't drink coffee is only because of the fact that she is a very strict actor. Even if she's starving she still wouldn't eat anything but meat no matter if that results in her death and vikings to my knowledge don't drink coffee. If like @Mr.P said they gave something like Mead which I see more for a viking than coffee. I don't see why the drink couldn't have the same effect as coffee instead so it fits more to her character because after all Don't Starve to me isn't about being equal instead it's about different roles that each character has taken to wether that being just who they are or the reason they're here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
leonseye    805
7 hours ago, Mr.P said:

Again that's a good thing Wigfrid is just TO good with almost 0 Downsides so having this one is actually a nice point of balance for her. At least then we can shut up all the people that always want a Wigfrid nerf cause this is a nice point of balance in my book.

Everybody knows that anything Wigfrid does, Wolfgang does better.  Especially in Shipwrecked.

If you're saying that she shouldn't be allowed to drink coffee simply based on her being "overpowered" as a character, that's really kind of a silly statement.

W/ that said, though, I honestly don't mind her not being able to drink coffee thematically, but it does tend to put her at a hefty disadvantage when she was only a middle of the road character to begin w/.

If it wasn't for her adorable quotes and style, I probably wouldn't play her nearly as much.  But hey, she has those, so I do.  : )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeputyDeath    262
3 hours ago, TeoSS69 said:

>so is willow, warly, walani
Those are redundant all the time, not only late game.
>Woodlegs
Woodlegs shines only late game with his crew of pirate monkeys, so I can't agree on him.
>Maxwell
Do I need to mention oCrapaCreeper?
>Woodie
Lots world, Werebeaver only, is some of the most fun I've had in this game. Some of his mechanics are tedious and definitely need getting used to but once you work him out he can be pretty good with the whole never starving, insane or dead thing.
>Wendi.
I have mixed feelings about her. *shrugs*

> very few people seem to complain
Well, you have people who think that Warly's OP and Walani's Board is useful past your first Gold Nugget so there's that.

> *Has to binge eat on anything he can
I don't even bother with Limpets and Seaweed anymore. Hell, even Potatos I collect just to turn into poop. Too many Jellyfish and Crabbits around.

> when a fight lasts too long
I can kill Deerclops in 5-8 seconds. How long do you think fights really last with Wolfgang?

> there are multiple enemies
http://webmshare.com/play/RY7yJ

Why can't I just post a link to an image without it showing up?

> hunger problems and an amplified sanity drain.
Too much food in SW. Not even funny.
Wolfgang has no sanity problems. Even if he had and went insane he can wipe the floor with Shadow Creatures.

> a 25% speed boost in this form, this is unnecessary
Are you saying you use the Walking Cane only when fighting things?

> Must rely on the vanilla items in combat
Wargang with a normal Axe deals more damage than Wigfrid's spear.

> *Is nigh-on impossible to keep alive from days 10-15 unless you're lucky.
http://goo.gl/Mmh3eD


 

I probably should've changed that to 'lucky or experienced'. I remember my first few Wolfgang worlds going horrifically wrong, so I'm basing it off that. My newer ones tend to be okay, although I've had a few rough patches where I've gotten distracted.

Regarding whoever that streamer/youtuber is, people have gotten to day 2000+ as Wes, so that's a dumb way to measure how good a character is.

Woody is fun, but crap. I have a world at day 250 as Woody - my first world ever to go past day 100 actually - and he is incredibly frustrating to play as at times. Like when I spent days preparing for the dragonfly's visit and then ending up turning into werebeaver when he spawned.

Willow, Walani and Warly are very good early game, or at least somewhat better than Wilson. Not sure why people think Warly is overpowered. He seems incredibly mediocre. Also, Walani's board is useful because you can carry it. However, you will only really utilise this when exploring, because backtracking is boring.

Wolfgang is good against multiple enemies - and by that I basically meant a horde of spiders - but Wigfrid can do better, because she can heal during the fight. Also, Wolfgang has to keep his hunger in check and fighting a group of 20-30 spiders doesn't give you much time to stop and eat (unless you're tanking with a thelucite crown. But then again, who does that?). This is what I meant about fights lasting too long. I've had times in the barracks of the ruins where I've been swarmed with nightmare creatures and chess monsters, and my hunger consistently went below 250, at which point mighty mode is pretty crappy. Admittedly, the likelihood of this ever happening is low, but hey; I'd rather be Wigfrid in this situation.

The 25% speed boost I said was fairly unnoticeable in combat. It's not like you need speed to tank a giant with a ham bat, and even if you are kiting you really shouldn't need a speed boost to dodge attacks.  Outside of combat though, the speed boost can be handy for a quick getaway combined with a path and walking cane.

Wolfgang loses more sanity than others, but I think this is more of a character trait (the irony of a strongman being afraid of the dark) rather than a nerf. But, compared to Wigfrid, sanity management is difficult. Obviously ignoring the existence of the brainy matter, as usual.

The axe thing I never realised was true. An interesting titbit of information I guess. I think more importantly, Wolfgang with a dark sword can deal 136 damage per hit, which is almost 3x Wigfrid's spear and enough to kill a deerclops in 15 hits. But my point was, Wolfgang doesn't have character specific 'mid-tier' combat items, counting the log suit/football helmet as low-tier because the grass suit is laughably bad and its existence shouldn't be considered. Wigfrid on the other hand does, and most people would kill for items like that with other characters because no-one wants to show up to a battle wearing cheap, tatty protection; and yet at the same time, nobody wants to be wearing their thelucite suit either.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2204
7 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

Letters

> few Wolfgang worlds going horrifically wrong,
So you're talking about a character based off of few experiences...

> then ending up turning into werebeaver when he spawned.
Well that's your fault for not keeping an eye on the lunar cycle which is a must when playing Woodie. But yeah, he needs getting to, and can do some neat stuff, but he's not up there with Wickerbottom, Wolfgang, WX-78 and possibly Woodlegs. Neither is he in the bottom of the barrel with Willow.
 

> Willow, Walani and Warly are very good early game,
Nah they're not. Willow's lighter is a free infinite "torch" You know what else is free and infinite? Grass and Twigs.
Walani's surfboard stops being significant when you start crafting actual Boats. That can happens as soon as day 3.
Warly's stuff is not even remotely needed for nomadic gameplay in the early days due to the sheer overabundance of food.

> (unless you're tanking with a thelucite crown. But then again, who does that?).
Anyone who goes against 20-30 Spiders head-on because they know they'll get stunlocked and die with any armor but the Crown.

> This is what I meant about fights lasting too long.

Wolfgang can OHK Spiders. 20-30 Spiders are 10-15 seconds of a fight. Mighty mode can last close to 4 minutes. Damage scaling matters only below 270 Hunge; that takes more than a minute to happen.

>Fighting Shadows in the ruins
It's a waste of time and resources engaging a mob that will die by itself in a few minutes, no matter the character.

> even if you are kiting you really shouldn't need a speed boost to dodge attacks.
More speed = More hits per interval = Less time fighting = Less sanity lost.

> the speed boost can be handy for a quick getaway combined with a path and walking cane.
It can be handy for movement in general. There's too much food available not to stay mighty and move faster all the time.

> Wolfgang loses more sanity than others
Not enough to be relevant. It only works on Darkness and Monsters. The rest of the insanity auras is the same as the other characters.
Darkness : It's only 10% more than normal. Even in a Lights Out world you'd just need 1 flower picked to even it out with other characters (you end up getting that 5 sanity from the extra meal anw). In default settings it's even more negligible. Becomes irrelevant when you get a Tam.
Monsters : Wolfgang kills them faster resulting in less Sanity lost. Case in point the webm I posted above where I lost only 2 Sanity for killing a whole MacTusk party while using a Dark Sword even.

> . But, compared to Wigfrid,
Nothing that picking up some flowers won't fix. 198 Sanity is still better than 120 after a fight though, so there's that.

> Wolfgang doesn't have character specific 'mid-tier' combat items
What's your point here? Does he need them? I usually have a Cutlass before Hurricane Season. Everyone can just skip to top-tier. What do have mid-tier items have anything to do here?

> would kill for items like that with other characters
Not Wolfgang. Not comparing Wigfrid to other characters here, remind you.

> thelucite suit either.
Duh. Thulecite Crown is all you need. The Suit is just there to dupe Thulecite.

Let's be honest here. All Wigfrid has going for her is the ease of use, that's why she's considered the noob character, Wolfgang with training wheels and so on. And if you died 96 times on Day 1 to unlock her then she's perfect for you. Otherwise I don't recommend her over Wolfgang to anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeputyDeath    262
2 hours ago, TeoSS69 said:

Words

I feel like it's pointless arguing with the 'king' of Wolfgang.

Please consider that I've desperately been trying to make Wigfrid look good as a character compared to Wolfgang, other than being far easier to play as. Wolfgang is my personal favourite character, and Wilson is a close second. Wigfrid appears nowhere on the list.

I personally never need the crown. I used it once for frogs in RoG during a particularly harsh Spring (and a particularly easy Summer as a result), but otherwise I'm good at controlling a group of spiders; enough to kite them with minimal injury at least. Or, in Shipwrecked, you could use a coconade. I have like 10 of those from treasure chests and I've never touched one though...

Mighty mode is handy for movement, but I've never seen the need to stay in full mighty mode constantly for the additional 25%. Maybe I will now; my last Wolfgang world was at a time when I farmed only enough food for me to survive rather than just stockpiling. Maybe I'll try that out on my latest Shipwrecked world once I've gotten bees.

The other characters mentioned are better than Wilson in early game. Infinite light can save lots of resources in the long run, and... 

Surfboard is kinda okay I guess. It would be a better design if they removed the seashells from the recipe, because right now it's really not that easy to get massive amounts of seashells just for surfboards.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2204
1 hour ago, DeputyDeath said:

Not arguing

> make Wigfrid look good as a character compared to Wolfgang
Well unless you get hired at Klei and put in charge of reworking her perks, I don't think you'll have any chance on making that.

> but otherwise I'm good at controlling a group of spiders;
Kiting is not what I meant with head-on. And I assumed you didn't mean having trouble with kiting spiders with someone who can OHK them in your previous post.

> I've never seen the need to stay in full mighty mode
It's not much of a need as it is a "better than letting all that food rot away, so I might just as well". In SW though there's so much food it would be a shame not to take advantage of it and move faster from day 1.

> nfinite light can save lots of resources in the long run, and
Not really. In the long run you should switch to much better light items, like miner hat, moggles etc. Limiting yourself to the small light radius of the Lighter is a mistake.

> . It would be a better design if they removed the seashells
It would be a better design if it could be upgraded or if it had some really special perk to make it viable later on. Take Lucy for instance, she's still the best Axe around even on day 1000. Can't say the same about the Surfboard, or even Wigfrid's own gear.

But anw, if you don't want to deal with this anymore I'll stop. I just wanted to point out that people shouldn't really overestimate Wigfrid and it just dragged on from there.

Wickerbottom is still best character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeputyDeath    262
Just now, TeoSS69 said:

> make Wigfrid look good as a character compared to Wolfgang
Well unless you get hired at Klei and put in charge of reworking her perks, I don't think you'll have any chance on making that.

> but otherwise I'm good at controlling a group of spiders;
Kiting is not what I meant with head-on. And I assumed you didn't mean having trouble with kiting spiders with someone who can OHK them in your previous post.

> I've never seen the need to stay in full mighty mode
It's not much of a need as it is a "better than letting all that food rot away, so I might just as well". In SW though there's so much food it would be a shame not to take advantage of it and move faster from day 1.

> nfinite light can save lots of resources in the long run, and
Not really. In the long run you should switch to much better light items, like miner hat, moggles etc. Limiting yourself to the small light radius of the Lighter is a mistake.

> . It would be a better design if they removed the seashells
It would be a better design if it could be upgraded or if it had some really special perk to make it viable later on. Take Lucy for instance, she's still the best Axe around even on day 1000. Can't say the same about the Surfboard, or even Wigfrid's own gear.

But anw, if you don't want to deal with this anymore I'll stop. I just wanted to point out that people shouldn't really overestimate Wigfrid.

So by head on you meant tanking? Okay, I guess it makes sense to use the crown then. And by saving resources with the infinite light, I meant being able to use the lighter at night in Autumn if you don't need to restore sanity, or at any other time when a fire pit isn't needed. It doesn't save many resources, yes, but it would save a stack of logs/manure or so during a season. In the caves, I would never use the lighter. That's just asking to be killed by (another) bishop.

I'm bored of this. Mainly because I think we can both agree that Wolfgang is better than Wigfrid, and that too many characters have perks that become (almost or completely) very quickly. 

On the subject of the original post, I don't see why coffee should be available to Wigfrid. She's easy mode as it is and doesn't need to be even easier.

Also, I've liked the idea of Wigfrid's gear. It's cheap and pretty good in combat. This is great considering that most people never actually use the end-game items (particularly the ancient staves and amulets) because they're so hard to get, yet the battle gear is cheap enough to justify using in any combat situation. It may not be the best gear in the game, but it's probably the best that you'll actually end up using.

As a different question, what do you think they could do to improve the viability of character specific items (excluding Lucy and the Codex Umbra) late-game? I'd say that the surfboard could have a slower speed than it currently does but loses no durability from merely being in the water, although it'll still get damaged by attacks. I'm pretty stuck on the other ones though, because it often isn't the item that gets redundant but rather the character itself. For example, Maxwell's sanity regeneration is fairly useless late-game (because the Tam o' Shanter is a thing), yet his low health is still an issue. Or Warly once you've gotten a decent food source.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhelsarusBeel    3996
24 minutes ago, DeputyDeath said:

As a different question, what do you think they could do to improve the viability of character specific items (excluding Lucy and the Codex Umbra) late-game? I'd say that the surfboard could have a slower speed than it currently does but loses no durability from merely being in the water, although it'll still get damaged by attacks. I'm pretty stuck on the other ones though, because it often isn't the item that gets redundant but rather the character itself. For example, Maxwell's sanity regeneration is fairly useless late-game (because the Tam o' Shanter is a thing), yet his low health is still an issue. Or Warly once you've gotten a decent food source.

For Warly i just repeat what i have been saying for now how long? I think i might be a month now. Anyway to the point I like Warly to get Buffs from Crockpotfoods either depending on the Dish itself or on the type of Dish. This would encourage his Nomadic playstyle a bit more because you want to go out and search for more rare ingrediences to make specific Crockpotfoods and this would also make his nitpicky eater perk a lot more interesting (he only gains the buff if the Food doesn't trigger his picky eating habbits). Mostly because he's a character based on food yet Food doesn't really play a big role in his playstyle other then the usual stick that being the name of the game.

Maxwell is a though Nut tbh cause he does have his upsides that mostly being able to easily recover from Insanity after he got most of the Nightmarefuel he needs. The only thing i could immagine what gives him a lategame idea is being able to strenghten the Codex Umbra maybe by imbuing it with Nightmarefuel. Like say you use 5 Nightmarefuel on the Codex Umbra what will strenghten it's power what means that Shadowpuppets last longer, are better at combat (more HP and more damage), and work more efficient for him. For that they maybe need more Nightmarefuel to summon and clog up more of his Max sanity. For example currently each Shadow Puppet takes 55 Points of his 200 Sanity. If you imbue the Codex enought for the first powerlevel the Shadow Puppets will instead take 60 Max Sanity but also last 1 day longer then before and got their stats amplyfied by lets say 50% (so 50% more HP and damage).

Can't really comment on Willow or Walani since both bore me to death 3 days in and i just delete the safe and go play someone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
magia    129

Hi, I think that vegans should be able to drink raw eggs because its a drink and not an actual meal. Also this game should be made as easy as possible so people don't have to waste their time to actually play it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2204
2 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

Pragraphs

> when a fire pit isn't needed.
I can see the point but in the long term resource gathering doesn't require much. A single Old Bell ring on a group of tightly packed Trees will give you enough Logs for a whole year. Beefalo shaving is also a thing and the Razor has infinite use so I don't see the Lighter as a big upside in that case...

> to improve the viability of character specific items

Lighter : Really don't know about this one. Increasing the light radius would be the first thing to come in mind but it wouldn't make sense for a lighter to have such a big radius. Letting it cook would be another but eventually it wouldn't make much difference. So maybe give it some magical property to the fire it emits, like if I set a tree on fire with the lighter the flame would be stronger, do more fire damage, burn for longer, warm more and have a larger light radius. Being able to drop it down while lit would be good.
Abigail's Flower : Fine as it is, although making it bloom shortly after dismissing Abigail with a stab would be welcome.
Books : Fine as they are.
Lucy : Fine as she is. Although I don't know why they nerfed the damage when the Cane also is infinite.
Balloons : MOAR SHAPES
Codex Umbra : Originally it was much better, though I think it's fine now. I wish the Puppet's Sword was as good as Maxwell's (or at least do 50 dmg) and they could fight Shadows though.
Battle Spear and Helm : Boost their stats and give Wigfrid's perks to them instead of her. Otherwise give them some cool perks, like ability to stun enemies.
Surfboard : Make it upgradeable or boost its speed even more. Unlike what people think its speed is not the same as Row Boat + Iron Wind.
Portable Crock Pot : Make it equippable on Boats. Chef Pouch : Make it a hat or hand held.
Sea Legs: I guess it's fine as it is, although it would be so much better if we could craft the Sail and Canon individually. Lucky Hat : It's pretty powerful  for the late game  already. Although personally I wish they made it spawn more treasure by itself instead of the monkey crew.

> Maxwell's sanity regeneration is fairly useless late-game (because the Tam o' Shanter is a thing), yet his low health is still an issue. Maxwell is not just about the 20 sanity per minute. If you know what you're doing and you keep your puppets up 24/7 , he has only 5 points of difference between insanity and sanity, making you switch quickly at will. Maxwell's DPS with his Puppets is 2nd only to Wolfgang, and he can achieve that day 1.If you know how targeting AI works the Puppets can also stay alive while dishing punishment for you easily. There's a trick with the Puppets that lets you chop, mine and hack for free, so there you have Woodie's perk on a whole new level. Health is not really an issue that game since you can achieve 95.5 damage resistance. You'd only have to heal when using the Codex, and those Puppets love to commit Butterfly genocide.
 

2 hours ago, Mr.P said:

Warly to get Buffs from Crockpotfoods

Ditto. That would make him much more great late game, depending on what the buffs end up being.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oCrapaCreeper    3252
9 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

For example, Maxwell's sanity regeneration is fairly useless late-game (because the Tam o' Shanter is a thing), yet his low health is still an issue. Or Warly once you've gotten a decent food source.

I don't see how the Tam makes Maxwell's sanity regen useless late game. The tam doesn't even compare to the advantage of having a natural +20 sanity per minute without wearing anything. As Maxwell you don't need the Tam at all, you don't need to bother obtaining it, and you don't need to bother maintaining it with sewings kits. You don't even need to bother with sanity restoration items in the first place.

Maxwell actually has the advantage of not needing the Tam. Since it takes up the hat slot, you can't use other things like a mining hat or football helm and regain sanity as any other character. You can go caving with a mining hat and your sanity stays rock solid. His head slot is always free for other clothing items unlike other characters that rely on the Tam in situations where they want to maintain their sanity.

He also doesn't need to use items that protect against wetness since his sanity negates the drain from wetness anyway.

Magic items or anything in general that drains sanity can be used more often since he just regains it all back in minutes.

In general he takes the micromanagement of sanity out of the game and opens up some room. That's an advantage whether it's early or late game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeputyDeath    262
1 hour ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

I don't see how the Tam makes Maxwell's sanity regen useless late game. The tam doesn't even compare to the advantage of having a natural +20 sanity per minute without wearing anything. As Maxwell you don't need the Tam at all, you don't need to bother obtaining it, and you don't need to bother maintaining it with sewings kits. You don't even need to bother with sanity restoration items in the first place.

Maxwell actually has the advantage of not needing the Tam. Since it takes up the hat slot, you can't use other things like a mining hat or football helm and regain sanity as any other character. You can go caving with a mining hat and your sanity stays rock solid. His head slot is always free for other clothing items unlike other characters that rely on the Tam in situations where they want to maintain their sanity.

He also doesn't need to use items that protect against wetness since his sanity negates the drain from wetness anyway.

Magic items or anything in general that drains sanity can be used more often since he just regains it all back in minutes.

In general he takes the micromanagement of sanity out of the game and opens up some room. That's an advantage whether it's early or late game.

I personally don't see it as much of an advantage. The only real benefit seems to be saving on sewing kits and being able to have a backpack on at any time, but I don't see them as worth Maxwell's low max health. Plus, I don't wear armour that often and prefer to keep my football helmet in my inventory until a giant or large group of hostiles appear, so being able to equip it constantly wouldn't change much.

However, I think I worded my original comment a bit harshly. I don't see it as useless, but it's not something that I'd, once again, risk all that max health for. To me, I'd only find it useful in Monsoon season, as that's when I often struggle to stay dry and sane. But outside of that, I can't see it changing up my gameplay much. Even in the ruins, you can just stockpile on green caps when you're down there or bring some taffy with you. That's if you're even going to bother with sanity management, because the nightmare beaks will make your day a living hell anyway.

But this is coming from a Wolfgang/Wilson fanboy, so I don't think my argument will be very balanced. Well, it isn't balanced full stop. Frankly, when it comes to late-game, I'd rather a character that can take down a Varg within a couple of seconds than one that will die to a single unarmoured hit from a depth worm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oCrapaCreeper    3252
10 minutes ago, DeputyDeath said:

I personally don't see it as much of an advantage. The only real benefit seems to be saving on sewing kits and being able to have a backpack on at any time, but I don't see them as worth Maxwell's low max health. Plus, I don't wear armour that often and prefer to keep my football helmet in my inventory until a giant or large group of hostiles appear, so being able to equip it constantly wouldn't change much.

However, I think I worded my original comment a bit harshly. I don't see it as useless, but it's not something that I'd, once again, risk all that max health for. To me, I'd only find it useful in Monsoon season, as that's when I often struggle to stay dry and sane. But outside of that, I can't see it changing up my gameplay much. Even in the ruins, you can just stockpile on green caps when you're down there or bring some taffy with you. That's if you're even going to bother with sanity management, because the nightmare beaks will make your day a living hell anyway.

But this is coming from a Wolfgang/Wilson fanboy, so I don't think my argument will be very balanced. Well, it isn't balanced full stop. Frankly, when it comes to late-game, I'd rather a character that can take down a Varg within a couple of seconds than one that will die to a single unarmoured hit from a depth worm.

I personally don't die much as Maxwell so I don't see his low health an issue, I've become adapt in a way where having 75 hp isn't much different from having 150. I usually just wear the night armor until I can craft a football helmet (there's really no downside to always wearing it if you don't intend on using a different hat for something) and let the shadow minions do most of the fighting with creatures like hounds when I get a surplus of nightmare fuel. Since he also starts with half the ingredients needed to make the shadow manipulator I can usually make more night armor and dark swords early on.

In Shipwrecked his health penalty barely matters at all since most of the hard fighting can be done on sea, where your boat takes damage and not your character. 75 hp or 150, it doesn't matter when your boat has a lot of health.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeputyDeath    262
7 hours ago, TeoSS69 said:

Damn your comment structure is good. I'm stealing it.

>Lighter: Letting it cook would be another but eventually it wouldn't make much difference. 

I actually like the idea of letting it cook stuff. It would be very useful if you go out hunting, as obviously cooked meat lasts longer than raw, and living like a nomad in general as you could cook berries and seaweed on the go. However, once you've adopted the hermit lifestyle of a day >~200 player this would be almost entirely useless.
 

>Battle Spear and Helm : Boost their stats and give Wigfrid's perks to them instead of her. 

This would be a nice buff for DST, because she's a nuisance right now in my opinion to keep alive. It's like inviting a vegan to a party, only the literal opposite. But I'm not sure how this would help with single player. But I guess buffing her character-specific items in any way is still better than her current form, so it's something. 
 

>Surfboard : Make it upgradeable or boost its speed even more. Unlike what people think its speed is not the same as Row Boat + Iron Wind.

I don't see how you're going to upgrade a surfboard. It's literally a plank of wood, supposedly with some shells stuck on it for that extra skin-shredding effect. But buffing the speed would be a neat idea. Maybe to the speed of a row boat + cloth sail though, as making it too fast would be kinda overpowered. 
 

>Portable Crock Pot : Make it equippable on Boats. Chef Pouch : Make it a hat or hand held.

Yes.

>There's a trick with the Puppets that lets you chop, mine and hack for free, so there you have Woodie's perk on a whole new level. 

Is that where you stop the swing just before it hits the tree/rock? You can do that with pigs too, if you really want to save on the durability of your tools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeputyDeath    262
7 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

I personally don't die much as Maxwell so I don't see his low health an issue, I've become adapt in a way where having 75 hp isn't much different from having 150. I usually just wear the night armor until I can craft a football helmet (there's really no downside to always wearing it if you don't intend on using a different hat for something) and let the shadow minions do most of the fighting with creatures like hounds when I get a surplus of nightmare fuel. Since he also starts with half the ingredients needed to make the shadow manipulator I can usually make more night armor and dark swords early on.

In Shipwrecked his health penalty barely matters at all since most of the hard fighting can be done on sea, where your boat takes damage and not your character. 75 hp or 150, it doesn't matter when your boat has a lot of health.

Meat effigies. That was what I was forgetting. 
One of my main issues with Maxwell was that life-giving amulets are the only real way of revival once your touchstones have been used up. They're not the most reliable mode of resurrection though, as predicting exactly when you're going to die is fairly hard when you're battling with hounds. 
I guess it doesn't matter if you don't die much. I often get into incredibly dangerous situations early on, so I'm the sort of person that will use up their touchstones within the first two years. So late-game, when I die far less frequently, I rely on meat effigies. But I really don't see how you can live with having only 45 health.

Out of curiosity, what do you do? Do you just not die or do you rely on life-giving amulets?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oCrapaCreeper    3252
5 minutes ago, DeputyDeath said:

Meat effigies. That was what I was forgetting. 
One of my main issues with Maxwell was that life-giving amulets are the only real way of revival once your touchstones have been used up. They're not the most reliable mode of resurrection though, as predicting exactly when you're going to die is fairly hard when you're battling with hounds. 
I guess it doesn't matter if you don't die much. I often get into incredibly dangerous situations early on, so I'm the sort of person that will use up their touchstones within the first two years. So late-game, when I die far less frequently, I rely on meat effigies. But I really don't see how you can live with having only 45 health.

Out of curiosity, what do you do? Do you just not die or do you rely on life-giving amulets?

Usually I just don't die often, so touchstones are my main fallback. In some heavier combat I'll wear night armor, which when combined with a football helmet you take very little damage even from strong attack. If I don't have strong armor I'll go with an amulet+helmet (or crown) combo. Not nearly as protective as the night armor combo but the football helmet is still decent and I'll resurrect should I die.

In a dire situation, I have a an Effigy pre-built already. Since it's not placed and only pre-built I don't suffer from the health penalty, so in a situation where I know I'll die I'll place it. Sorta like a back up amulet I suppose, if I forget to place it though I'm toast of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2204
6 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

symbols

> But I'm not sure how this would help with single player.
It would give longevity to her gear, since that's what we were talking about. Of course the gear would need to be better in terms of damage and protection or this would turn into a downside.

> I don't see how you're going to upgrade a surfboard.
Doesn't need to make sense. We're past that part in DS at this point. Main downside to the board right now is that the Row Boat will surpass it in terms of speed and utility. Making the Surfboard fast enough and also able to restore sanity and surf waves would be good enough to keep it around. Giving it attachments and make it a sailboat or smth would be even better.

> You can do that with pigs too
Pigs aren't really comparable in terms of utility though. They take your precious food, they can't move between islands, they need light since dusk and they can't mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gingerbread    324

well why the topic turned into wolfgang wigfrid comparison idk XD. while i find wigfrid one of the easiest character to manage, I would say that wolfgang is actually easier if you know what you are doing and I don't think wigfrid is OP or anything. Then same things and even more can be said for wolfgang who can one shot spiders and monkeys at any time or facetank almost any mob in the game with less resources. If wigfrid is considered as OP, then wolfgang is OPiest.

Wigfrid has an advantage over other chars?

-mostly yes (not all).

Is Wigfrid OP?

-nope.

Tbh, if wolfgang cannot drink a coffee that would be a huge downside for such an OP char because especially in SW world exploring the map forever is not fun especially if you cannot drink (or eat according to game) a cup of coffee there is no point to use that character. I would be pretty disappointed if i were a wigfrid fan.

Even though wolfgang is my favorite char, i would never play as wolfgang in SW if he could not drink coffee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TeoSS69    2204
6 hours ago, Gingerbread said:

 the topic turned into wolfgang wigfrid comparison i

Because they have the same gameplay, so it's easier to show why she's not OP and doesn't need a nerf because of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FreyaMaluk    5642

Coffee Marinated Steak is a thing if we want to allow Wigfrid to use coffe. So why the hell not?? It is not like coffee's only use is combat. I do use coffee more for exploration if you ask me. Remember that distances in SW are huge.

Not being able to drink coffee is a huge disadvantage and I don't believe the people in this thread would ever consider playing in SW as Wigfrid for that reason alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeputyDeath    262
13 hours ago, leonseye said:

Seems this thread has been blown WAY off course from the original topic.  <.<

I think we established that Wigfrid doesn't need coffee. Now it's just turning into a character battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites