Wigfrid and coffee.

7 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

I think we established that Wigfrid doesn't need coffee. Now it's just turning into a character battle.

Of course she does... Coffee is much more than a battle booster... It makes exploring a bit easier and effective, it saves the player time, and it makes the game far more dynamic. I think that Wigfrid deserves coffee.

10 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

I think we established that Wigfrid doesn't need coffee. Now it's just turning into a character battle.

Strange, because it doesn't seem like that was actually established at all...

From what I can tell, opinions are still pretty mixed about this.

2 hours ago, leonseye said:

Strange, because it doesn't seem like that was actually established at all...

From what I can tell, opinions are still pretty mixed about this.

Okay. I established that and for some reason thought it appropriate to make that comment. Evidently it wasn't.

Anyway, I'm still not a fan of the 'Wigfrid drinking coffee' movement. I mean, can't we give her bovril and be done with this? Just because an item is new, doesn't mean that every character has to be able to access it.

It may seem like a good idea now, but it'll make no sense later on in the expansion's lifespan and people start realising that Wigfrid being able to drink coffee broke a major aspect of her character for the benefit of a few players that seeminlgy refuse to accept that Wigfrid has flaws like every other character. It would be like making catcoons passive with Webber, despite him being a monster, because people wanted access to the cat-cap. 

You don't see people complaining that Maxwell can't use the sea legs or Wilbur not having access to the surfboard, so why not take the perspective of coffee being an item exclusive to every character except Wigfrid?

4 hours ago, hyiltiz said:

As someone said, anyone with Coffee with better than anyone who cannot use coffee.

I have used coffee once in my entire playthrough and I really don't see what the fuss is about.

It makes you faster. Freakin' wow. Amazing. 

If you really need coffee to kite enemies then you are in dire need of some combat practise. And before you start whining that coffee has other uses, by the time you get coffee exploration isn't necessary so your only boat trips are likely to be hunting and collecting brainy matter.

4 minutes ago, DeputyDeath said:

I have used coffee once in my entire playthrough and I really don't see what the fuss is about.

If you really need coffee to kite enemies then you are in dire need of some combat practise. And before you start whining that coffee has other uses, by the time you get coffee exploration isn't necessary so your only boat trips are likely to be hunting and collecting brainy matter.

Having it'll make your life a whole lot easier though. All it will do is make your life a little bit less annoying, and I don't see why we should deny Wigfrid that right.

2 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

Personally i love coffee in my real life and i want to drink it in my favorite game too) Also i like Glhrmzz play style and i like how he uses coffee in game (constantly! like the air we breathe). And in my opinion there shouldn't be any comparison  "who is better" between all characters in Don't Starve, they all were made to make variety in game, so that anyone could make a choice at his taste. 

Besides only coffee(among food recipes) has it's unique positive speed effect, while Wigfrid as meatarian can successfuly for example heal with perogies instead of dragonpie or raise hunger eating easy cooking meatballs or long rotting bacon and eggs, or cooked monster meat as a last resort.

2 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

I see where you're coming from, but surely you understand how valuable going faster is in Don't Starve, at least from the games perspective. Consider that items like Magiluminescence, Walking Cane, Feather Lite Sail, Iron Wind, are not that simple to obtain, and offer 25-50% speed increase. Coffee gives 83%, which is greater than wearing a Magiluminescence, Walking Cane and Sleek Hat combined, not to mention it also stacks with all of those.

You want to go anywhere in the Ocean in half a day, Coffee is the thing for you. You want to dig up all 'X Marks the Spot' locations on the map in 1-2 days, Coffee is the thing for you. You need to go to the Volcano for some medial task but it seems so far away, not with Coffee. You need to get to land before Sea Hounds spawn or run to somewhere safe to deal with Hounds, coffee will do the trick, The real question is why wouldn't you constantly be hopped up on Coffee? :p

This post is not sponsored by Coffee 

1 hour ago, Daggaroth said:

I see where you're coming from, but surely you understand how valuable going faster is in Don't Starve, at least from the games perspective. Consider that items like Magiluminescence, Walking Cane, Feather Lite Sail, Iron Wind, are not that simple to obtain, and offer 25-50% speed increase. Coffee gives 83%, which is greater than wearing a Magiluminescence, Walking Cane and Sleek Hat combined, not to mention it also stacks with all of those.

You want to go anywhere in the Ocean in half a day, Coffee is the thing for you. You want to dig up all 'X Marks the Spot' locations on the map in 1-2 days, Coffee is the thing for you. You need to go to the Volcano for some medial task but it seems so far away, not with Coffee. You need to get to land before Sea Hounds spawn or run to somewhere safe to deal with Hounds, coffee will do the trick, The real question is why wouldn't you constantly be hopped up on Coffee? :p

This post is not sponsored by Coffee 

I see where you're coming from too, but I've never felt the need to boost my speed with anything more than a walking cane. I tend to get most stuff done in my world within about 50-100 days, and I live like a hermit past that point with the occasional day out once or twice a season. I normally have enough stuff to occupy myself with within my base island, whether it be harvesting crops, killing animals - innocent and not - or continuing to clear out the undergrowth. And making a man-made floor of course. That takes way longer than it needs to in this game.

Coffee is cool, but it's not essential. I don't see why everyone is THIS annoyed that Wigfrid can't have it (trying to get this thread back on track again), because it's not a necessity. It's not like they stopped Wigfrid from harvesting grass or something. The lack of coffee is no more detrimental to your survival than Wigfrid not being able to eat dragonpie, honey, berries, seaweed, mushrooms or banana pops, and they've never been a conversation topic on here before.

13 minutes ago, DeputyDeath said:

Coffee is cool, but it's not essential. I don't see why everyone is THIS annoyed that Wigfrid can't have it (trying to get this thread back on track again)

I'm pretty impartial to the Wigfrid thing, which is why I didn't mention her; I apologise for getting off topic and I just felt a need to defend a need for speed :p

17 minutes ago, DeputyDeath said:

I tend to get most stuff done in my world within about 50-100 days, and I live like a hermit past that point with the occasional day out once or twice a season

It's true that Coffee is probably more valuable for a nomadic play style, but in my last two worlds I have found the Volcano within the first Hurricane Season, so it could still help you pretty early on if you're lucky. 

Okay ladys and gents it took me literally 5 minutes to make Wigfrid be able to drink Coffee

20160331164419_1.jpg

Again it's not even difficult to do so.

You just rightclick your Don't Starve folder go to properties and then go to the folder titled data. From there you choose the one labeld DLC0002 and open the file titled "preparedfoods". After that you do a quick Control F search for Coffee.

Should look like this

Coffeefile.png

And then where it says Foodtype you replace the previous VEGGIE with MEAT and baddabing baddaboom Wigfrid is now able to drink coffee.

Slight Edit: I would also like to note that i never did mods myself nor am i a Codewizard this is simple stuuf everyone can do.

1 hour ago, TeoSS69 said:

Why did Klei put the game in Early Access at all? Why not just release it buggy and unbalanced and let modders deal with it?

Because they're not Bethesda and realise that releasing a game as a blank slate for modding is just admitting that it's a sub-par creation.

2 hours ago, Daggaroth said:

I'm pretty impartial to the Wigfrid thing, which is why I didn't mention her; I apologise for getting off topic and I just felt a need to defend a need for speed :p

It was actually mainly a combination of me, Teo and that Creeper dude having arguments about characters. Sorry about that OP.

1 hour ago, TeoSS69 said:

Why did Klei put the game in Early Access at all? Why not just release it buggy and unbalanced and let modders deal with it?

You realize that this specific thing is something a Vocal minority wants. A lot of peole in this topic already said that they think Wigfrid as she is is fine and Coffee doesn't affect her in the slightest so if you really want her to drink Coffee so badly just do it yourself. Heck as i did above I made a simple step by step post on how to do it yourself and i have only barebones coding knowledge so if someone like me can do it most people who are at least a bit Techsavvy can bloody do it.

Also I think we both know that Klei takes to much pride in their products to release them in a buggy and unfinished state.

Just now, TeoSS69 said:

Oh boy.

Nice job turning my words around pal. I already see that it's a waste in further discussing this since you don't seem to be open to accept that someone has a different opinion then you.

Also we can say the same the other way around just because people in this thread say she needs Coffee has just as much hand and foot as the other argument.

And don't bother replying again I will now stop reading this topic anymore i made my points i made a post on how people can change the COffething themself my Job here is done if you have anything to say you can say it but don't expect me to care anymore.

Just now, Mr.P said:

Nice job turning my words around pal.

Where else did you base your "vocal minority" data then?

> don't seem to be open to accept that someone has a different opinion then you.
Accepting an opinion doesn't mean agreeing with it.

> Also we can say the same the other way
I thought you'd understand my previous comment about Early Access but you missed it like you missed the point of this thread. Mods aren't the solution. Your Captain Obvious moment there didn't fix anything for people who don't want to use mods or those who won't play this on PC. You think we can't just change the duration of Poison , or adding better perks to Warly too?!

> And don't bother replying again
I'm not one to chicken out.

> don't expect me to care anymore.
There's two things that are going to happen:

1. You're gonna cave in and reply.
  2. You'll want to reply but won't because you already said you wouldn't.

Either way you'll care. They always do.

Archived