Hey, so I've been trying PVP and I can't, no matter how many times I dodge, I can never get the first hit and rarely get hits after that.

Why is that?

I've done the whole

ThePlayer:EnableMovementPrediction(false)

thing...And I still have the same issue. What is it I'm doing wrong?

It's like magic how they always get the first hit, it's so annoying.

1 hour ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Hey, so I've been trying PVP and I can't, no matter how many times I dodge, I can never get the first hit and rarely get hits after that.

Why is that?

I've done the whole

ThePlayer:EnableMovementPrediction(false)

thing...And I still have the same issue. What is it I'm doing wrong?

It's like magic how they always get the first hit, it's so annoying.

I can do some practice with you to help beat the whole lag issue. :) 

1 hour ago, Mudley said:

Lag is a big factor in those situations, the better your ping, the better upper hand you will have.

This is more or less irrelevant when you've correctly disabled movement prediction.

Use this mod. There is a mod on the workshop to disable movement prediction but it doesn't function correctly and movement prediction will re-enable itself every time you hop between the caves/surface or disconnect. Do note that stunlock priority is usually a matter of ping. You can, however, trick your enemies into swinging and missing for free follow-up hits.

21 hours ago, Flare2V said:

This is more or less irrelevant when you've correctly disabled movement prediction.

Use this mod. There is a mod on the workshop to disable movement prediction but it doesn't function correctly and movement prediction will re-enable itself every time you hop between the caves/surface or disconnect. Do note that stunlock priority is usually a matter of ping. You can, however, trick your enemies into swinging and missing for free follow-up hits.

I'm not into PvP, I think it's weird idea and stuff. But I'm am very laggy, so disabling movement predicion is a thing. I tried mod from workshop, but it disables it permanently - I mean, there is no hotkey to switch it on or off, when it is needed.

Can you please describe how this mod you uploaded works? :)

1) Practice makes perfect.

2) No need for mods. Go to the folder where Don't Starve Together is installed. Search for player_common.lua, open it with notepad, and make sure that the third command is set to false: local USE_MOVEMENT_PREDICTION = false

This way you don't have to manually type it in every time you enter a server. However, I believe this command defaults to true whenever there is a game update, so make sure to check on that.

3) Ping also plays an important role in PvP. Usually, the person with the lowest ping will be able to get hits in first and it will be a lot easier for them to fight.

4) Macros. Basically cheating. But, there are players that use it. If you have the lowest ping, you will basically stunlock every time. And if you don't have the lowest ping, you will still be able to get hits in. Yes, they do work.

Good luck!

For me it's simple; don't. I was on a server where my ping was llterally 16, yet I still have this annoying rubberband that occurs every 30 seconds or so. Like is it my Wifi card, or..? My friend and I were in the same room and he didn't have it.

As for getting the first hit in... I heard dat pan flute is pretty great B] 

• Developer
2 hours ago, RyanandLink said:

Like is it my Wifi card

Wifi can definitely cause unpredictable lag spikes. I'd do a continual ping and look at how bad your worst case latencies are. On windows you can open cmd.exe and type "ping -t www.google.com". Then go play the game, wait until you've gotten a lag spike, and come back to your ping window. When you ctrl-c out you should see a summary of the stats, including your packet loss (where the data was sent but never made it to its destination) and worst case latency.

If you do have these big spikes, there's not much you can do. Maybe try to improve your wifi signal, and not use the microwave oven (which typically also runs at 2.4GHz) during combat. Or go wired.

@nome
So I did it with DST running and I'm getting 20-100 ping most of the time, but then occasionally it goes to ~1500 ms. When this happens I get my lag spike, so I guess my wifi signal isn't good? I'll try to see if I can use a LAN cable to connect to the router later, and see if it improves. Thanks for yo help nome!

15 hours ago, nome said:

Yeah, 1500ms is 1.5 seconds. You're gonna feel that. :) Best of luck tracking it down and eliminating it!

Alright! So I googled some stuff and saw other people used the program "WLAN Optimizer" (sounds sketchy, I know) but upon installing it and checking some settings I have officialy fixed my lag! The spike still happens, but extremely rarely (I'd say around once every 20 minutes). I don't know, I guess I'm just posting it here for reference or if someone else has the same problem :) thanks again!

Archived