Toughing out poisoning

I'm actually a fan of making poison no longer last indefinitely, but I think only having to wait one day before it wears off is too far in the other direction. While long-lasting poison is a death sentence in the early game unless you're both lucky and fast, one-day poison is fairly trivial to deal with once you have a tent to sleep it off and a crockpot to make crabs and limpets into fishsticks. If it only lasts a day it's not likely to actually kill you except in the very early game, if your situation is already desperate, or as the last blow after a series of other misfortunes, although it does reduce your chances of surviving, say, a hound wave that comes while you're poisoned. Kind of like how starvation pretty much only kills you directly if you're already screwed.

What I would like to see is poison that wears off after a few days, giving players a choice between running off to get antivenom (or keeping it close at hand just in case) and continuing business as usual while burning through a bunch of healing and sanity restoring items. Toughing it out seems like it should be a legitimate option if you can stay alive long enough to flush it out of your system, but it should be costly enough for running off to find the cure to be an appealing alternative. I don't think it's necessary for the poison to last longer than 3-4 days, because generally it would kill most people by then anyway if they don't have access to either antivenom or a giant stack of honey poultices/fishsticks/whatever.

Poison damage isn't changed in the update. Which means until it expires, it deals a total of 96 damage. Consuming many easily accessible crockpot foods to address basic hunger needs offsets this entirely within a day or two. So yeah, poison can be entirely ignored now, unless you are only eating meatballs.

I understand if the newbies found this mechanic difficult to deal with, but that is what the world generating options are for. I also understand some items can be occasionally difficult to come by, so having the additional option of dealing with the case of being poisoned isn't a bad change (in addition to ways we have for preventing the poison in the first place). I suggest updating the poison world generation option with:

• None: No poisoning
  • Short: Expires after a day. (Current state after the patch)
  • Medium: Expires after 5 days.
  • Long: (Default) Expires after 11 days (= 1 full day of max scale poison, since poison scales up for 10 days).
  • Permanent: Never expires, must be cured.

So, people who are learning (or otherwise do not like poison) can still chose various options to play as they like or get introductory options to learn about how to deal with the mechanic, while the players who want the regular dose of Don't Starve challenge are not left out.

Poison was never a problem for me. You can easily find every needed item in 1 minute. Also you can just eat butterflies to ignore the health drop. Don't starve should be challenging and not something easy to come by. This nerf is unnecessary.

59 minutes ago, YumoS said:

Poison was never a problem for me. You can easily find every needed item in 1 minute. Also you can just eat butterflies to ignore the health drop. Don't starve should be challenging and not something easy to come by. This nerf is unnecessary.

Its an issue in early game since sometimes you can get screwed over and all the resources are in god knows where, and that place is incredibly far from you, so...yeah. 

The nerf was really not the way to go about this though. 

7 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Its an issue in early game since sometimes you can get screwed over and all the resources are in god knows where, and that place is incredibly far from you, so...yeah. 

The nerf was really not the way to go about this though. 

I think that you have to prepare for the worst in Dont Starve. This makes it harder than some other games. I always carry many anti venom with me to prevent such trouble. Also you can craft it with a science machine. The only hard thing to find at the beginning is gold and if you have found it you made it.

From the latest patch notes (march 24):

Poison now lasts 3 days (up from 1).

Total damage dealt increased from 98 to 289.

Poison damage now starts off low and ramps up over time.

Poison can now be cured with an antivenom gland at the cost of 80 hp.

If you have less than 80 hp, ingesting an antivenom gland will instead leave you with 5 hp remaining.

Increased the chance for antivenom glands to drop from poison snakes.

Huray :-)

huh, disscussion here :)

I think, good motivation to use antidot, but not jast awaits, while poison fade by itself - reduce max HP, if you didn't heal poison with antidot, but allow poison fades by itself (and make craft for restore HP max harder, then for antidot)

thus, you didn't die if you couln't heal poison, but recieve some problem, that you should  solve later.

• Developer
4 minutes ago, Dhareth said:

thanks for supporting my idea. mayby we could make it real, as Klei increase poisoning up 3 days, after many replys

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding, but I was mentioning the changes Klei did to poisoning, not your idea :p

Though your idea is really interesting... it'd encourage people to actually use the antidote and not just wait for the poison to stop.

Archived